Tron: Ascension

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Prince Edward
Anniversary Edition

Re: Tron 3

Post by Prince Edward »

This is awesome news! I loved Tron Legacy and have waited for any news about this franchise.
Favorite Disney-movies: Snow White, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan, Tarzan, Tangled, Frozen, Pirates, Enchanted, Prince of Persia, Tron, Oz The Great and Powerful
Disneyphile
Special Edition

Post by Disneyphile »

Olivia Wilde and Garrett Hedlund are set to return for Disney’s Tron 3.

The pair will reprise their characters from 2010’s Tron: Legacy in the sequel, which is being directed by Joseph Kosinski.

Legacy was the sequel to the 1982 sci-fi film that took place inside a computer world known as the Grid and starred Jeff Bridges and Bruce Boxleitner. While not a hit at the time, it later drew a big cult following and became an influence on filmmakers and pop culture.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v ... und-786680
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Sorry, guys: Tron 3 has been cancelled

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/tron- ... 201508421/
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

disneyprincess11 wrote:Sorry, guys: Tron 3 has been cancelled

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/tron- ... 201508421/
Word around the web is the disappointing returns for Tomorrowland are to blame.
Barbossa
Collector's Edition

Post by Barbossa »

The production money for Tron 3 was actually repurposed for Johnny Depp's bail in Australia. :wink:

I hope its just on hold and not completely cancelled.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Tomorrowland definitely had something to do with this.

I guess the lesson here is that Pixar directors don't really translate well into live action Disney directors. Tomorrowland can sit nicely beside John Carter as evidence.

And Tron 3 simply became a random victim. What Disney's live action division lacks is a strong creative leader. WDAS, Pixar, Marvel and Lucasfilm all have strong leadership, but Disney's live action department is still run in the same way as during the Eisner era: executives call the shots, trying to copy successes without understanding what made those in the first place.

Until they clean house they will be lost and unable to find spots on their slate dominated by movies from divisions that DO have strong creative leadership.

Oh and dump Johnny Depp and do not take him back in until he's won an Oscar for playing a normal person.
Maerj
Collector's Edition

Post by Maerj »

That's a shame, as I enjoyed Tomorrowland and John Carter, not to mention Tron Legacy. It would have been great to see where they were going to take the Tron story next.
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

a Change.org petition has started and it needs 239 more signatures to reach 5000

https://www.change.org/p/walt-disney-revive-tron-3
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

Wow, that's pretty unfortunate. While I'm not really a fan of the original Tron, I do quite enjoy Tron: Legacy and I was getting excited for a third Tron film. Here's hoping that it really isn't just cancelled, just postponed.
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
vezner

Post by vezner »

I'm really bummed by this news. I love the Tron series and Legacy was a great movie. It's a shame that the suckiness of Tomorrowland has impacted Tron. :(
Maerj
Collector's Edition

Post by Maerj »

Petition signed and passed on to others.
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Maerj wrote:Petition signed and passed on to others.
That's good. Amazingly it now almost has 10,000 signatures!!
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

Signed!

I know what it's like when you want a sequel to happen (like me and a Roger Rabbit sequel I keep talking about for a million times). You have my support. :)
Jäger-Rose
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Jäger-Rose »

TRON really has bad luck. First they cancel Uprising then TRON 3 :( They always cancel the best shows/movies.
Image Image Image Image Image
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Since I imagine Joseph Kosinski already had a general idea of what he wanted to do with Tron 3, I hope we at least see him do a continuation in comic book form. Or maybe Netflix could produce it as a mini-series, like they've done with Daredevil.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Prince Edward
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Edward »

Argh, I hate the Disney suits! Such bullshit from them. They are so stupid that it hurts my brain to read their foolish statements. "We looked at our release calendar, and it was totally unpossible for us to find a single date to release Tron 3 in the next 4 years." Bullshit! Why not tell the truth: Tomorrowland bombed, and now Disney will only release more Pirates movies and more live action fairytales, and movies from Disney animation, Pixar, Marvel and Star Wars.

The fact that Tomorrowland was an expensive movie that flopped at the box office should not have anything to say in the matter of releasing a third Tron movie. The Tron franchise is iconic, Tron Legacy earned 420 million dollars at the worldwide box office, the Tron universe is included in the popular Kingdom Hearts games and even in the upcoming Disney Infinity 3 game. Disney are saying no to easy earned money by refusing to make Tron 3.

And btw, did Disney not learn anything from the relase of Prince of Persia, The Sorcerer's Apprentice, John Carter, The Lone Ranger? Why use 150 million dollars on a movie you are not sure that people will go see?
Favorite Disney-movies: Snow White, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan, Tarzan, Tangled, Frozen, Pirates, Enchanted, Prince of Persia, Tron, Oz The Great and Powerful
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

Prince Edward
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Edward »

Good news! But, the whole "we need a great story to make this movie" is bullshit though. I thought Disney was almost ready to start producing Tron 3, then they suddenly shut it down as soon as Tomorrowland bombed? And the reason they gave then was that their release schedule was som crowded.

Besides, this "story" excuse is not something new. We have heard the same before. The reported "story problems" regarding The Snow Queen/Frozen was sure worked out fast when Disney saw how much cash Tangled brought in. And let's face it, although I love the Pirates movies and think they are great fun - Disney are not making them because they think that they have a great story that needs to be told. They are making them because they bring in the dollars.
Last edited by Prince Edward on Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Prince Edward wrote: Besides, this "story" excuse is not something new. We have heard the same before. The reported "story problems" regarding The Snow Queen/Frozen was sure worked out fast when Disney saw how much cash Tangled brought in.
I agree. It's also the same excuse they give in regards to hand-drawn animation. "We just have to find the right story." BS BS BS.

Anyway, I'm not a Tron fan, but I feel sorry for those who had been look forward to this.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

/Film’s Peter Sciretta had the opportunity to speak with Springer while making the publicity rounds for Dumbo, and the conversation eventually turned to the possibility of TRON 3 ever coming back around.

Justin Springer: Look, I will never stop being interested in making a TRON movie. I love the opportunity to do it. It’s a title that never really goes away internally. There’s always people around the company who like it a whole lot. And so, we’ll see what happens. It would be great to get the opportunity to do it again. It’s interesting – what I will say is that I think it continues to be relevant both in its ideas and also just the visual iconography of it. I think people are still are interested in it and it still feels contemporary to me. So it’s just about finding the right time, right script, and the right people at the studio saying “yes.” You know, just the usual.
Source: https://www.slashfilm.com/tron-3-update ... -springer/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage