Animated Disney movies w/ plotlines that you'd change

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
AlasmineLover:)

Post by AlasmineLover:) »

Beauty and the Beast: Whenever I watch this one, it bothers me that the kingdom the prince rules does not notic their ruler is suddenly missing. The prince's shallowness causes the curse, and I think he is around a teenager at the time the enchantress comes, therefore it's not like the spell was working for hundreds of years and no one alive remembers him. Maybe in the years after the spell was put into place the kingdom was taken over or the people moved away, I don't know, I'd just like to know about them.

The Lion King: I love this to death, but I wish we could've seen exactly why Nala left. Yes, we see Scar with the hyenas complaining about the lack of food, but I would've liked to see a scene with Nala complaining. The scene where Scar wants her as his queen is a bit too dark, but it just feels empty how we don't see her and then she just finds Simba with no backstory on why she left.

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs: I am very bothered by the fact that Snow and the prince don't even have a conversation and she just loves him. Also, what is her real name? Surely "Snow White" is not her real one.

I may think of more later.
sunhuntin
Special Edition

Post by sunhuntin »

i have the soundtrack for the broadway show of the lion king. theres a track on it which i cant listen to called "the madness of king scar" and hes basically trying to woo nala as only a sleazeball can. gives me the creeps big time. nala also has a song, "shadowlands" which details her leaving and has the lionesses singing her a prayer.

but yes, i would have liked a midquel of some sort showing the pridelands at the time of nalas teenage years. kinda like lion king 1 1/2 shows simba with his half mane. even if they had shown the pridelands at that time in that movie, would have been nice.
big kid at heart
AlasmineLover:)

Post by AlasmineLover:) »

[quote="sunhuntin"]i have the soundtrack for the broadway show of the lion king. theres a track on it which i cant listen to called "the madness of king scar" and hes basically trying to woo nala as only a sleazeball can. gives me the creeps big time. nala also has a song, "shadowlands" which details her leaving and has the lionesses singing her a prayer.

I know it's included in the play, I live in New York and have seen the Broadway production. :) Maybe that's why the movie feels empty now without those additions.
sunhuntin
Special Edition

Post by sunhuntin »

AlasmineLover:) wrote: I know it's included in the play, I live in New York and have seen the Broadway production. :) Maybe that's why the movie feels empty now without those additions.
lucky duck. id give about anything to see the stage show, lol. i understand what you mean though, about it feeling empty.
big kid at heart
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Nala does have a line where she tells Simba "I left to find help...and I found you." So, my guess is she went to look for more lions to help defeat Scar and the hyenas as well as food for her pride (hence her hunting and chasing Pumbaa). Not to mention, if they defeated Scar, they would need a new king and so she was probably went out to find another male lion as well. And by chance, she found Pride Rock's true heir to the throne. :)
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Icea
Limited Issue

Post by Icea »

I would've changed Hercules to be more like the original Greek myth, especially re-do Hades being the villain. Why not keep Hera as the one who causes Hercules troubles like in the myth, would've made it a whole lot more interesting, especially with the design she has in the movie.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Re: Animated Disney movies w/ plotlines that you'd change

Post by DisneyFan09 »

DisneyFan09 wrote: I NEVER said that I disliked "Part of Your World". In fact, I LOVE the melody. It's absolutely gorgeous. But the lyrics are still reflecting Ariel's shallow and short-sighted desire. Sorry, but I highly disagree with you when it comes to Ariel
Even when she says her possesions are of no importance and she wants "more", then singing of life, experience, happy feelings that come from living where she feels she belongs like if we got to live in a world that had Disney or, say, a gay person got to live in gay culture or a place with gay acceptance?
Sorry, but I don't think it's really comparable. First of all, the only who really confronts Ariel is her father and while being racist and ignorant, he still loves his daughter and wants her to be safe. Besides, Ariel is dreaming of something really vague, something that she doesn't know what is. And the worst thing is that the movie never adresses why she has such an obsession with humans. If the movie would have shown that, it would have resonated Ariel's character a lot more. Besides her father, the movie never adresses that she has other problems with her life at the sea. In fact, she seems like she even takes Flounder for granted.

I know I've been really late on replying, but I couldn't help replying.
Sky Syndrome
Anniversary Edition

Post by Sky Syndrome »

DisneyFan09 wrote:And the worst thing is that the movie never adresses why she has such an obsession with humans. If the movie would have shown that, it would have resonated Ariel's character a lot more. Besides her father, the movie never adresses that she has other problems with her life at the sea.
Kids usually think they're missing out on some fun thing when their parents forbid them to do something/go somewhere/hang out with certain people.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

DisneyFan09 wrote:First of all, the only who really confronts Ariel is her father and while being racist and ignorant, he still loves his daughter and wants her to be safe.
He is also the king of the sea. Which tells us that the majority of merfolk likely agrees with him. Sebastian seems to.
And the worst thing is that the movie never adresses why she has such an obsession with humans.
Um...---> "Part of That World"? The movie showed that, and that's why millions of viewers have resonated with Ariel's character. If you don't like Ariel, that's fine, but I personally think most of your reasons don't make any sense.

Also, it's obvious Ariel does not take Flounder for granted, considering she risks shark death to save him at the beginning. And, yes, she's the reason they were there, blah blah, but the point is she does save him and she wouldn't have if she didn't care about him. As for becoming human, he's present in a large portion of her scenes on land, so I think they'll be able to see one another fine.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:Um...---> "Part of That World"? The movie showed that, and that's why millions of viewers have resonated with Ariel's character.
No, it really doesn't. The lyrics vaguely implies why and when Ariel became so fascinated by the human world. It could have elaborated much, much more. Its logical to see why Aladdin wants to be in the palace, why Cinderella wants a better life than her oppression. Ariel, on the other hand, is dreaming about something really vague, something that she doesn't know what is. Besides her father, she doesn't seem to have REAL issues with being a sea (and no, I don't count the fact that she wants to have legs as a real problem).
Disney's Divinity wrote:If you don't like Ariel, that's fine, but I personally think most of your reasons don't make any sense..
I'm not saying that she's completely detestable, but she is NOT, and I repeat NOT a well-developed and deep character. No offense, but its unbelievable how you fans go such lenghts to defend her. And frankly, it's really annoying after a while.
Disney's Divinity wrote:Also, it's obvious Ariel does not take Flounder for granted, considering she risks shark death to save him at the beginning. And, yes, she's the reason they were there, blah blah, but the point is she does save him and she wouldn't have if she didn't care about him. As for becoming human, he's present in a large portion of her scenes on land, so I think they'll be able to see one another fine.
Okay, your latter statement is a good point. However, she didn't seem to REALLY care about Flounder. If she did, she should have been aware of his feelings and the fact that she was (sort of) trading their friendship in front of something more superficial. As you said, she was the one who risked Flounder's life in the first place. She praised him for finding the statue of Eric, but that's really it.

And let's forgot how she practically forced him (in a really rude way) into the sunken ship. I'm sure if I acted in that way to a friend of mine, I would have been called selfish and self-absorbed. And by the way, did she ever thanked Flounder and Sebastian for the risks they went through at the end? Nope!

In fact, Ariel is a much, much better character in the series. Not to mention completely different. She's compassionate, caring, loving and actually wise. In other words, much more likeable.
Disney's Divinity

DisneyFan09 wrote:It could have elaborated much, much more.
Most people think it's elaborated just fine, which is my point. She's fascinated by the human world, and wants to explore. Pretty self-explanatory to me. Her liking for the human world does not revolve around her father, though I'm sure getting away from him was a part of the appeal. Particularly after the grotto-destruction scene.
I'm not saying that she's completely detestable, but she is NOT, and I repeat NOT a well-developed and deep character. No offense, but its unbelievable how you fans go such lenghts to defend her. And frankly, it's really annoying after a while.
Who ever said she was "deep"? She's relatable and likable to most people, that's the only point anyone has made. I find most people who hate Ariel are just as, if not more, obsessed. I wouldn’t be surprised if you said Ariel wanted to eat Flounder for fish sticks, the way you malign this character in your mind.

As for your last part, besides finding it ridiculous, I think the fact that Ariel is thankful to Sebastian and Flounder goes without saying (besides the fact that she's mute for half the film). They are friends, after all. I don't have to say "Thank you" and "I love you" every 5 seconds for my friends to know it.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:Most people think it's elaborated just fine, which is my point. She's fascinated by the human world, and wants to explore. Pretty self-explanatory to me. Her liking for the human world does not revolve around her father, though I'm sure getting away from him was a part of the appeal. Particularly after the grotto-destruction scene.
Sorry, but I don't think that was explained enough. And as I've said before, while Triton is extremely flawed as well, he's the one who really goes through an reasonant character arc.
I find most people who hate Ariel are just as, if not more, obsessed. I wouldn’t be surprised if you said Ariel wanted to eat Flounder for fish sticks, the way you malign this character in your mind.
This is really the problem I have with Ariel fans; You get prissy and exaggerate everything what people say against her. And just to be said, I am NOT a hater. Just because that I'm stating what I consider to be Ariel's flaws, doesn't make me a hater. A hater is someone who spends every single minute of trashing a character in a rude and hostile manner, which I'm not doing at all. In fact, many of you Ariel fans doesn't have a clue about what a hater actually means.
As for your last part, besides finding it ridiculous, I think the fact that Ariel is thankful to Sebastian and Flounder goes without saying (besides the fact that she's mute for half the film). They are friends, after all. I don't have to say "Thank you" and "I love you" every 5 seconds for my friends to know it.
While you're right about your last point, it's not really relevant on this topic. I wasn't referring to that she should have said thankyou every single time! But at least she could have done that in the end. Sure, she kissed Flounder and touched Scuttle on his head, but she didn't thanked them for helping her. So how are my point ridiculous?

And the fact that Ariel was manipulating Flounder to follow her into the sunken ship is a fact!

Look, I'm sorry if I seem hostile, that's not my intention. I'm just voicing my opinion. Let's not be enemies because of this, right?
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

DisneyFan09 wrote:
Disney's Divinity wrote:Most people think it's elaborated just fine, which is my point. She's fascinated by the human world, and wants to explore. Pretty self-explanatory to me. Her liking for the human world does not revolve around her father, though I'm sure getting away from him was a part of the appeal. Particularly after the grotto-destruction scene.
Sorry, but I don't think that was explained enough. And as I've said before, while Triton is extremely flawed as well, he's the one who really goes through an reasonant character arc.
I find most people who hate Ariel are just as, if not more, obsessed. I wouldn’t be surprised if you said Ariel wanted to eat Flounder for fish sticks, the way you malign this character in your mind.
Okay, I understand that you may consider haters to be tiresome. But several Ariel fans are prissy and exaggerate everything what people say against her. And just to be said, I am NOT a hater. Just because that I'm stating what I consider to be Ariel's flaws, doesn't make me a hater. A hater is someone who spends every single minute of trashing a character in a rude and hostile manner, which I'm not doing at all. No offense, but several of you Ariel fans don't have a clue about what a hater actually means.
While you're right about your last point, it's not really relevant on this topic. I wasn't referring to that she should have said thankyou every single time! But at least she could have done that in the end. Sure, she kissed Flounder and touched Scuttle on his head, but she didn't thanked them for helping her. So how are my point ridiculous?

And how about the fact that Ariel was manipulating Flounder to follow her into the sunken ship?

Look, I'm sorry if I seem hostile, that's not my intention. I'm just voicing my opinion. Let's not be enemies because of this, right?
The_Iceflash
Anniversary Edition

Post by The_Iceflash »

No, No, NO! about getting rid of the Gargoyles in Hunchback of Notre Dame! Getting rid of them hurts the film. They serve a valuable purpose to the story. This is Reading 101. I guess some of us prefer a weaker film.

Tangled: I know this is extremely petty but I wish she Remained a Blonde. She looked 100% better as a Blonde than a Brunette. I was even crossing my fingers that her hair color was going to say blonde. Did not happen. :x
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

I wouldn't get rid of the Gargoyles. But I'd tone down their humor and make it more subtle and clever. And more of an open ending regarding whether they were imaginary or not.

Though I've come to accept and love Hunchback for what it is now though.
Christopher_TCUIH
Special Edition

Post by Christopher_TCUIH »

I don't have a problem with the gargoyles at all. Maybe it's because I saw the movie when I was 4 Image

They are necessary though. Otherwise it would be sad sad sad sad with no break between it. A family movie has to have some laughs & touching moments too. I think it would have been stronger if it was left a mystery as to whether they were real or not. It's aged pretty well I think too. The goofy scream could go though.
Disney's Divinity

DisneyFan09 wrote: Sorry, but I don't think that was explained enough.
I don't know how, considering the film focuses on it for at least the first half hour. First with her exploring the sunken ship, then talking to Scuttle about the human things, then "Part of That World." If anything, it pounds it into the viewer--the complete opposite of vague.
This is really the problem I have with Ariel fans; You get prissy and exaggerate everything what people say against her. And just to be said, I am NOT a hater. Just because that I'm stating what I consider to be Ariel's flaws, doesn't make me a hater. A hater is someone who spends every single minute of trashing a character in a rude and hostile manner, which I'm not doing at all.
And you exaggerate the bad qualities and ignore the good ones. What’s the difference? This is all you've ever talked about in regards to the character, so, yes, I consider you a hater. The term is the opposite of a fan, and that's what you are. There's nothing wrong with that, but let's not pretend.
Sure, she kissed Flounder and touched Scuttle on his head, but she didn't thanked them for helping her. So how are my point ridiculous?
Considering the only thing said following Triton and Sebastian's conversation at the end is, "I love you, Daddy," I don't think they were going to ruin the moment by throwing in unnecessary thank you's. It's very clear Ariel cares about all of them, it doesn't need to be said aloud. The only thing that needed to be showed was that Triton and Ariel have resolved their issues.
And the fact that Ariel was manipulating Flounder to follow her into the sunken ship is a fact!
"Manipulate"? Are you serious! :lol: Listen to yourself. You're making it sound like she manipulated him into a deal with the devil or something (that's Ursula, remember...or is Ariel the villain in your world? :lol: ). Most would consider that scene "playful." Besides, ultimately he was better off in the ship with her than outside by himself with the shark.

Like I said before, you’re free to feel however you want to about the movie and the character. I just find your reasons flimsy, which is why this whole discussion began pages/months ago.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Disney's Divinity wrote: don't know how, considering the film focuses on it for at least the first half hour. First with her exploring the sunken ship, then talking to Scuttle about the human things, then "Part of That World." If anything, it pounds it into the viewer--the complete opposite of vague.
To give a more specific example; If the movie actually showed a backstory to how Ariel actually first discovered humans or human things, then it would resonate (at least for me) more. So sorry, but I disagree. Yes, the movie spends the first half hour focusing on Ariel's obsession for human things, but still it doesn't go deeper.
And you exaggerate the bad qualities and ignore the good ones. What’s the difference? This is all you've ever talked about in regards to TLM and the character, so, yes, I consider you a hater. The term is the opposite of a fan, and that's what you are. There's nothing wrong with that, but let's not pretend.
Okay, probably I've not talked about the good traits of her and perhaps I'm "exaggerating", but that doesn't make me a hater. If I actually were a hater, I would have trash-talked her and not in a civil manner, as I'm trying to do here. But you're only seeing the things in either "love or hate" and not something in between. While I don't find Ariel particularly likeable, I still don't hate her.
Considering the only thing said following Triton and Sebastian's conversation at the end is, "I love you, Daddy," I don't think they were going to ruin the moment by throwing in unnecessary thank you's. It's very clear Ariel cares about all of them, it doesn't need to be said aloud. The only thing that needed to be showed was that Triton and Ariel have resolved their issues.
Sure, but she didn't seem to care about them when she was trying to get Eric. And if you think the moment should be ruined by all these thank yous, fine. But I disagree. At least I've would have a moment for Ariel to have conversation with her father at the end.
"Manipulate"? Are you serious! :lol: Listen to yourself. You're making it sound like she manipulated him into a deal with the devil or something (that's Ursula, remember...or is Ariel the villain in your world? :lol: )
Watch the scene where they are entering the sunken ship. "You're not getting cold fins, are you?" And she said it in a manipulative manner.
Like I said before, you’re free to feel however you want to about the movie and the character. I just find your reasons flimsy, which is why this whole discussion began pages/months ago.
The same thing goes for you; I find your reasons REALLY flimsy as well. No offense. Look, I'm not trying to fight with you, so if you don't want to discuss anymore, then its fine.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

jpanimation, I understand what you last said very much, and agree with some of it.

DisneyFan09, all of us love and some of us are obsessed with Disney here. The way I love Disney, I can't explain. I just love it. I loved it since I saw Cinderella when I was 3. You don't need me to tell you that to know and accept I love Disney whenever I talk about it here, and I can't explain why I loved Cinderella so much. Or maybe I can, it's because of all the magic, the prettiness, and Cinderella's warmth, but Ariel explained she loved the sun and the cool way legs moved instead of fins, right? So Ariel's love of the human world doesn't need any more explanation, if one even can explain why they love anything. Her love of the human world is believable which is the important thing.

As for her friends, yea, I can see how Ariel took them, and other good things she had, for granted, but when people fall in love with other people and places, they must sometimes leave their family and friends for something bigger that they feel they belong with.

And we can very safely assume Ariel thanked her friends at some point in her life, either before or after the wedding. We didn't see Cinderella say thank you to the mice bringing her the key at the end, but we know she must have done it sometime, right?
Disney's Divinity

DisneyFan09 wrote: The same thing goes for you; I find your reasons REALLY flimsy as well. No offense.
No offense taken, considering. :lol: You are in the minority in that viewpoint, although Ariel has always been polarizing. I like the character more for that fact, actually.