What are your favourite openings of the Disney films?

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
skippy
Gold Classic Collection

Post by skippy »

I like the beginning of Pollyanna, with the kind of foggyness that slowly pans into the boy swinging on the rope and the train and all that....

Great cinematography.
Where's the rest of Elfego Baca and the Swamp Fox?
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

I love all the storybook openings, especially Snow White, Cinderella & Sleeping Beauty. I have all 3 recreations of those books that the Disney Catalog sold awhile back as well as the Evil Queen's Book of Spells.
MattDean
Gold Classic Collection

Post by MattDean »

carolinakid wrote:I love all the storybook openings, especially Snow White, Cinderella & Sleeping Beauty. I have all 3 recreations of those books that the Disney Catalog sold awhile back as well as the Evil Queen's Book of Spells.
Any pics to share?

I'd love to see them!

Matt:)
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

I know that this isn't exactly the same, but there is a pretty similar thread (found here) that would suffice.
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
Dr Frankenollie
In The Vaults

Post by Dr Frankenollie »

TheSequelOfDisney wrote:I know that this isn't exactly the same, but there is a pretty similar thread (found here) that would suffice.
David, no offence, but could you stop saying that there are similar threads we could use, because it's really irritating. Of course there are similar threads; this forum has been operating for several years now, so mostly everything about Disney has been said or done here. But that's okay, as members come and go, and plenty of new members have arrived in the past few months.
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

Dr Frankenollie wrote:David, no offence, but could you stop saying that there are similar threads we could use, because it's really irritating. Of course there are similar threads; this forum has been operating for several years now, so mostly everything about Disney has been said or done here. But that's okay, as members come and go, and plenty of new members have arrived in the past few months.
It's more just for minimizing multiple threads that have similar topics. I completely understand that there are newer members who probably haven't seen these topics in the first few pages of a particular sub-section of the forum, but the merging of threads enables us to de-clutter the forum. If people read the rules (which I don't know if anyone does nowadays), you are supposed to search for a topic first before creating a new thread for it. Now, I know that the search function isn't working properly, but it's still a rule that should be followed. Now I'm not blaming you Louis because I don't know whether or not you have read the rules, but a search for a similar thread should come first before starting a new one. If a searched thread doesn't come up in the first few pages of the search, then go ahead and create a new thread. Personally, I just don't want to see the forum so cluttered with five different threads all about the same topic. But, yes, I do understand where you're coming from; but you should understand where I'm coming from, too.
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
Linden
Special Edition

Post by Linden »

Snow White and the Seven Dwarves: completely classic. The intro that started it all.

The Fox and the Hound: it has such a subdued, naturalistic beginning. It's quite different from the other intros

Beauty and the Beast: of course! You can't really get more magical than BatB's introduction.

Peter Pan: this one might be my favorite. With the aerial views of London and the narration, it sets the mood perfectly. I love watching it in bed. :)

Mulan: I've always loved watching the paint spread across the page and form trees and flowers.

Pinocchio: "When You Wish Upon a Star" makes it all good.
Dr Frankenollie
In The Vaults

Post by Dr Frankenollie »

Sorry David if I was a bit rude :oops: I understand your viewpoint a bit better now.
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

carolinakid wrote:I love all the storybook openings, especially Snow White, Cinderella & Sleeping Beauty. I have all 3 recreations of those books that the Disney Catalog sold awhile back as well as the Evil Queen's Book of Spells.
Seriously?!?! Where can I find this?!?! How do they look like?? I've always wondered why Disney never made a real life recreation of the storybooks from the movies.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

WHY WON'T YOU BE FRIENDS WITH ME AGAIN?!!!!
tsom wrote:Seriously?!?! Where can I find this?!?! How do they look like?? I've always wondered why Disney never made a real life recreation of the storybooks from the movies.
I just bought the Cinderella storybook replica. It is really just a "treasure box" to put things in...but with the gorgeously enchanted cover and first two pages from the film's storybook. Around the same time I also bought a book that's a real storybook and tries to replicate the film storybook's cover and is illustrated with re-drawn and painted images from the film. I would never scan that book because it's old, from the 1950's, but I've always wanted to see you someday, so you could see both storybooks when we meet sometime!

Here's the storybook replica, the most amazing, beautiful of the two:
Cinderella Storybook Replica

And here's the actual storybook:
1950 Cinderella Storybook

You'll have to search for the other book replicas yourself I'm afraid. But hopefully you enjoyed seeing those. ;)
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

Disney Duster wrote:
tsom wrote:Seriously?!?! Where can I find this?!?! How do they look like?? I've always wondered why Disney never made a real life recreation of the storybooks from the movies.
I just bought the Cinderella storybook replica. It is really just a "treasure box" to put things in...but with the gorgeously enchanted cover and first two pages from the film's storybook. Around the same time I also bought a book that's a real storybook and tries to replicate the film storybook's cover and is illustrated with re-drawn and painted images from the film. I would never scan that book because it's old, from the 1950's, but I've always wanted to see you someday, so you could see both storybooks when we meet sometime!

Here's the storybook replica, the most amazing, beautiful of the two:
Cinderella Storybook Replica

And here's the actual storybook:
1950 Cinderella Storybook

You'll have to search for the other book replicas yourself I'm afraid. But hopefully you enjoyed seeing those. ;)
DD, you ALWAYS hold it down! I just knew you would have more information about this!! Thank you! I really have no need for the other books. Only Cinderella, of course! :)

I never knew there was a Cinderella story book that was an exact replica of the movie's book and told the movie's story with pictures from the movie! I always wondered why such a book was never published. Little did I know that there is already such a book! I remember I wanted the exact book from the movie when I was younger, but then I realized months later that it probably never existed. Wow, who would have thunk it? Lol. I did some research and found out it is about 66 pages, which is how long the movie would probably be without the songs and sequences without dialogue. After all, they do say one page from a screenplay/script equals about 1 minute in a movie.

Thank you so much for that bit of info! I would love for you to show it to me someday! :)
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

How did you find out it was 66 pages? Wow! So cool to know that! Where and how did you find that out? I wonder if there's any pictures in it we didn't see in the movie. The replica I have only has the first two opening pages, the rest is an empty box to put things in.

I really wish the storybook version had illustrations done the same way as the ones in the movie, but actually it more like has re-drawn and re-painted versions of stills from the movie. Some are beautiful choices, but all are like inferior replications of the movie, some badly re-drawn.

I would love to someday make real books based on all the Disney films that opened with books, or maybe just my favorites, mainly the first fairy tales or just Cinderella. I'd make the illustrations just like the ones in the movie's book.

Just in case you wanted to see the other books, just scroll down this page in this thread:

A Disney Collection with Book Replicas
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

After reading and agreeing with most of the favorites here I suddenly realized that only one LIVE-ACTION Disney opening has been touched upon and that was "Pollyanna".

How about the opening sequences for the original "Parent Trap" and "Old Yeller"?? Now there are two that I really like ahead of most of the animated films.

A couple more are the openings to "The Shaggy Dog", "The Shaggy D.A.", and "Davy Crockett, King of the Wild Frontier" (who can't remember that great opening song?)
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!