Cinderella (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: New Cinderella Adaptation by Disney

Post by Disney Duster »

Yes, it seems they just used one of the shots of Scarlett Johansson as Cinderella from the Disney Dreams portrait series and put it on a new staircase, with a gate and a nearby coach. However it's not the same shot they used for the portrait, as in this one she's not holding her skirt like the portrait they used for the Disney Dreams series had.
WonderNeverOz
Gold Classic Collection

Post by WonderNeverOz »

I know we can't judge about the movie yet since almost nothing is out but it sounds like it's actually going to be a great fairy tale movie.
You certainly like to reunite with directors that you’ve worked with in the past. What was it like to reunite with Kenneth Branagh for Cinderella, and work in that fairy tale world?

SKARSGARD: To me, all of Lars von Trier’s films are fairy tales, so I’m pretty used to it. Lars von Trier is a very good storyteller. He’s like an H.C. Andersen for adults. None of his films are especially realistic, like this film. I think he started writing as if it was in England, but it doesn’t play as England. People have different accents and everything. It’s a fantasy world. People, like my character, are an idea. Both my character and the character of Joe are two different sides of Lars von Trier. It’s all in his head. But, Cinderella was fun. I like working with Kenneth Branagh. That film will turn out very, very well, I think. They’re not trying to make a dark version or a modern version. They’re actually telling the story of a really nice girl, which is a story that has worked for humanity for 2,500 years.
source: http://collider.com/stellan-skarsgard-n ... interview/
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Thanks! Sounds great! I'm so happy!
Old Fish Tale
Anniversary Edition

Post by Old Fish Tale »

Do you think they'll use CGI on Lucifer? I expect the mice to look at least as good as Mallymkun in 'Alice in Wonderland'...
Musical Master
Anniversary Edition

Post by Musical Master »

Old Fish Tale wrote:Do you think they'll use CGI on Lucifer? I expect the mice to look at least as good as Mallymkun in 'Alice in Wonderland'...
They used CGI on the Chesire Cat in Alice in Wonderland as well so Lucifer is next.
Disney, Pixar, Rodgers and Hammerstein, and Cinema fan
Old Fish Tale
Anniversary Edition

Post by Old Fish Tale »

But I hope they don't make it look so cartoonish... God, I'm dying to see Cate as the stepmother!
Musical Master
Anniversary Edition

Post by Musical Master »

Old Fish Tale wrote:But I hope they don't make it look so cartoonish... God, I'm dying to see Cate as the stepmother!
Much like Bonham Carter as the Red Queen, it's really good casting on Disney's part.
Disney, Pixar, Rodgers and Hammerstein, and Cinema fan
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I expect the mice and Lucifer to have some CGI used. Reports of the CinemaCon footage say the mice were CGI. They also said that the filmakers said the special effects were not done yet, and they have a little less than a year to finish them, so they should look really good. I expect them to make the CGI as realistic as possible and not cartoonish like Alice in Wonderland was okay to have since it was an un-realistic, fantasy world with fantasy designs. The CGI had better be good in this movie! :D
Old Fish Tale
Anniversary Edition

Post by Old Fish Tale »

Mallymkun's design was great in 'Alice in Wonderland'. I wouldn't mind the mice looking just like that, but I want Lucifer to be more realistic...
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I can see why making them a little anthropomorphized like in the animated movie would be be a good idea, but I'd like it all to be realistic.
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

disneyftw1
Gold Classic Collection

Post by disneyftw1 »

(Spits out coffee) Wait... There's a new disney adaptation of Cinderella coming out... From the director of Thor... Coming out in 2015?! Footage has been shown already?!
... Hate to say it, but somehow I'm looking forward to this.
This is DisneyFTW1, a former Youtube account that was terminated by Disney themselves. My current Youtube Account is FilmFTW2 (FilmFTW1 was terminated). Youtube sucks when it comes to film uploads, and it sucks even more when major corporations are following your channels. But what can I do?
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

I know this isn't a musical, but I so with they intertwine the songs into the score for this film. I mean, not to duplicate the original score, but to have the songs form the foundation of this film. Much like I'd love them to use 'Once Upon A Dream' for Maleficent as well.
Old Fish Tale
Anniversary Edition

Post by Old Fish Tale »

It seems like they've shown the same footage again, but it makes so excited to read it again!
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

A poster on IMDB said they attended a screening of this movie recently, and this is what they had to say:
I got to go to a screening of this, and while the animation parts weren't complete the more important parts were. The acting, story and costumes were truly amazing! This is one people NEED to see...and no i don't work for or know anyone who worked on the film, I'm just another huge Disney fan :D
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

That link from tsom was about the same footage from CinemaCon we heard about earlier, but from a different person with a different report, which I had read before around the time reports about the footage came out, but yes, it is a new one posted in this thread and wonderful to read!

I can't believe Disney is done enough with the film for someone to have seen the entire film, but whether it is, and someone wrote that, or it was just preview footage and someone wrote that, it sounds fantastic!
Last edited by Disney Duster on Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

Through some online research, I found out that there was an advance screening recently. Based on what I've seen, individual people have called the film: "amazing," "incredible," "really cute," "super cute," "Lily James was great," and "the blue ball dress was to die for."
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Really, an advance screening? And they said that? *Gasp!* That's incredible! Oh wow, wow, wow! How wonderful and exciting! Everything they said! I'm so, so happy about this!
Old Fish Tale
Anniversary Edition

Post by Old Fish Tale »

Some wonderful updates from the Internet Movie Database forum.
Q: Tell me how was Richard Madden? I bet he was amazing!
A: He was fine, suited the typical Disney prince role well.
Q: A screening this early? Wow! Did they have the audience critique the movie and stuff, or did they just show it?
A: Yeah it's still rather early on in the process, but the main stuff was all there. Yes it was audience critique at the end, and I could tell from audience reaction that we all enjoyed it. Strong applause at the end.
Q: Was it very faithful to the Disney animation, does it have elements of the original fairytale/what's the tone, and does it evoke other loose adaptations?
A: Yes to all questions. You could clearly see parts from the original animation, especially with the mice and Lucifer, but there were some elements, ones I won't give away, that went beyond the original BUT is an even better way. And it kinda made joking references to the Grimm version of the tale, and I did get a bit of the feeling of the 90s Disney live action with Brandy and Whitney Houston.
And the screening was in Los Angeles County.
I actually asked this one.
Q: Like the mice, is Lucifer CGI too? Do the animals have as much screentime as they did in the 1950 film? What did you think of the stepmother, Anastasia and Drizella? They're my favourite characters from the 1950 film.
A: Lucifer I think was a mix of real, animatronic (think Jim Henson creations) and a bit of CGI. But not the animals don't have the same amount of screentime, but for VERY good reason.
I think that with the two sisters they felt the closest to the original animation. The Lady was similar, but I felt Blanchett did a more realistic job with that character. You actually find out soo much more of why she's the way she is. I loved her as much as I hated her... if that makes sense.
Q: Did the stepfamily really rip Cinderella's dress before the ball in the film? And were there scenes between Lucifer and the mice? If so, they seem like they really are sticking to the Disney film.
A: Yes they do rip it, though not as badly as in the animation, which I feel would've looked fake if they had, the amount done was properly believable. There was like two TINY bits between the mice and Lucifer, nothing like in the animation. I'll put it this way, in the animation, the mice with the supporting roles and everyone else like the step family and such were secondary character. In the live action, it's the other way around.
I'm going to burst with excitement!
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Sounds sooo great!!! Going beyond the original in even better ways? Wonderful! CGI and animatronic Lucifer and mice? Yay! I'm a little dissapointed hearing that about Richard Madden, and I wonder what they meant when they said "the mice with the supporting roles like the stepfamily" were reversed in importance. Meaning the mice from the film have less role and the stepfamily has more role? I wouldn't mind that, but the person wrote that weirdly so I also wonder if they meant the mice and stepfamily both have more role than Cinderella and the rest? That I really hope not for. I do love that the stepmother will be realistic and have a deeper character (as in we know more about her)!