Films that belong in other eras?

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Films that belong in other eras?

Post by thedisneyspirit »

What the title, what movies you feel belong to another Disney era more than the one they were created in.

Beauty and the Beast feels very well that could fit in Walt's era films, while Hercules I feel fits in well from the 2000s to forward.

Besides that, do you feel any movie would've gain a different perception had they been released in another time period than the one they originally premiered? I feel Alice and Sleeping Beauty would've been right at home if they premiered in the 80s. Perhaps they would've gained a positive reception at first.

No hate. :milkbuds: :P :lol: 8) :? :shock: :o
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Re: Films that belong in other eras?

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

The Little Mermaid feels like something that could have been made while Walt was still alive. But that's probably because it is the first Disney feature based on a fairytale with princesses and magic since Sleeping Beauty and The Sword in the Stone (the final movie to be released in Walt's lifetime). We still have The Black Cauldron, but it almost feels like it's not Disney considering all the effort they did to pretend it never happened, almost like George Lucas' Star Wars Holiday Special.
DisneyBluLife
Gold Classic Collection

Post by DisneyBluLife »

I think the Sword in the stone should had been in the Bronze/Dark Age.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

DisneyBluLife wrote:I think the Sword in the stone should had been in the Bronze/Dark Age.
This is what I was also going to say.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

I can't think of a film that feels it doesn't belong in the era it was made. Movies are very much a product of their time and circumstance and that comes off clearly in every aspect, whether it's the type of storytelling, the music, the designs, the animation etc.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

I must agree with Sotiris. Every film feels like it comes from the time and place it was made to me.
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Can't say I like the term of Disney's "dark age". I saw all those movies as a kid, in addition to every feature that was made when Walt was still alive (except Fantasia, Sleeping Beauty and some of the package films, which I saw for the first time when I was older), and have fond memories of all of them.
Rose Dome
Special Edition

Post by Rose Dome »

The Rescuers Down Under partially counts in my opinion. It sticks out like a sore thumb in terms of concept but it's technical aspects still make it's era apparent.
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Regarding The Rescuers Down Under. In general, Disney features used to be set either in some old fairytale past or in a contemporary setting. Rescuers Down Under represent a new era in more than one way. It was as we know the first CAPS movie, but also the first movie that reflects that we now live in an age with computers. The operator on Hawaii use computers. Not in some science fiction or futuristic setting, but because that's the tools they were using by then.
https://markb4.files.wordpress.com/2013 ... erator.jpg

Before that, the most modern features showed us cars, television, telephone and radio. And then later we even got science fiction like Big Hero 6 (which is probably the one that comes closest to our real and present day world), Atlantis: The Lost Empire, Lilo & Stitch, Treasure Planet, Chicken Little and Meet the Robinsons.

These days classics like One Hundred and One Dalmatians that once reflected its own time, feel almost as remote and exotic as the fairytale worlds.
DC Fan
Anniversary Edition

Post by DC Fan »

I came to to think that if Hercules had been released with the hype of the superhero movies we´re living it would have been an outstanding success.