Daredevil Screen Rights Revert to Disney/Marvel

All topics on all things Marvel.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Daredevil Screen Rights Revert to Disney/Marvel

Post by Sotiris »

Daredevil could be on its way back to Marvel Studios after many years at 20th Century Fox. The comics property had been in very active development at Fox, which was fast-tracking a project with Joe Carnahan directing based on the blind superhero’s acclaimed Born Again storyline, a gritty crime saga written by Frank Miller and David Mazzucchelli.

Fox has licensed the character and his "universe" from Marvel (it released a 2003 adaptation starring Ben Affleck), but under the terms of the deal it has to put a movie into production by early October. Earlier this summer, the studio lost director David Slade and quickly brought on Carnahan, who helmed The A-Team for the studio. Fox has already asked for and received two deadline extensions from Marvel.

Now sources say that the license will expire this week, something Carnahan referenced Monday in a tweet: "Think my idea for a certain retro, red-suited, Serpico-styled superhero went up in smoke today kids." He then added, "We shall see. Time is NOT on anyone's side."

If the character does swing back to Marvel, it will be the latest hero to come home. The company historically licensed out its characters and in the late 1990s made a series of deals that have enriched studios across Hollywood. Fox snagged the X-Men line as well as the Fantastic Four and Daredevil universes. With the subsequent creation of Marvel Studios, the company began a slow and quiet process of reacquiring its library. Iron Man came from New Line while Hulk was returned from Universal, for example. More recently, Marvel welcomed Blade back from New Line, which made a trilogy starring Wesley Snipes as well as a TV series.
Source: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v ... uel-361982
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Re: Daredevil Film Rights to Revert to Marvel/Disney

Post by Super Aurora »

Sotiris wrote:
Daredevil could be on its way back to Marvel Studios after many years at 20th Century Fox. The comics property had been in very active development at Fox, which was fast-tracking a project with Joe Carnahan directing based on the blind superhero’s acclaimed Born Again storyline, a gritty crime saga written by Frank Miller and David Mazzucchelli.

Fox has licensed the character and his “universe” from Marvel (it released a 2003 adaptation starring Ben Affleck), but under the terms of the deal it has to put a movie into production by early October. Earlier this summer, the studio lost director David Slade and quickly brought on Carnahan, who helmed The A-Team for the studio. Fox has already asked for and received two deadline extensions from Marvel.

Now sources say that the license will expire this week, something Carnahan referenced Monday in a tweet: “Think my idea for a certain retro, red-suited, Serpico-styled superhero went up in smoke today kids.” He then added, “We shall see. Time is NOT on anyone's side.”

If the character does swing back to Marvel, it will be the latest hero to come home. The company historically licensed out its characters and in the late 1990s made a series of deals that have enriched studios across Hollywood. Fox snagged the X-Men line as well as the Fantastic Four and Daredevil universes. With the subsequent creation of Marvel Studios, the company began a slow and quiet process of reacquiring its library. Iron Man came from New Line while Hulk was returned from Universal, for example. More recently, Marvel welcomed Blade back from New Line, which made a trilogy starring Wesley Snipes as well as a TV series.
Source: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v ... uel-361982

The article fails to mention that The Punisher also reverted to Marvel recently.

Yeah I knew about this.
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
FigmentJedi
Gold Classic Collection

Post by FigmentJedi »

Now lets see that Fantastic Four reboot fail to get off the ground. MCU needs Doom and Galactus bad.
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

I'm not gonna lie... I am VERY disappointed with the news.

I get that a lot of people thought Daredevil was a disappointing release and needs a reboot. But in my honest opinion, Fantastic Four should have reverted back to Marvel instead of Daredevil.

I won't deny that my feelings come from my admiration of the Fantastic Four. I love the characters, I love the concept and tried my best to watch all of the 90s animated series. The two movies based on them were mediocre at best. I wouldn't call them horrible, or even the worst movies ever made. But there was a lot of lost potential and some really odd choice casting (Chris Evans and Michael Chiklis as the Human Torch and the Thing respectively were inspired casting choices, but everyone else was just weird).

Plus, this might be the oddest thing I say... but the Fantastic Four is perhaps the most "Disney" thing Marvel has. I would have loved a reboot with the Dr. Doom and Galactus/Silver Surfer stories done RIGHT.

But alas... Marvel gets Daredevil. Hopefully their reboot will be good.
ImageImageImageImage

Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

pap64 wrote:I'm not gonna lie... I am VERY disappointed with the news.

I get that a lot of people thought Daredevil was a disappointing release and needs a reboot. But in my honest opinion, Fantastic Four should have reverted back to Marvel instead of Daredevil.

I won't deny that my feelings come from my admiration of the Fantastic Four. I love the characters, I love the concept and tried my best to watch all of the 90s animated series. The two movies based on them were mediocre at best. I wouldn't call them horrible, or even the worst movies ever made. But there was a lot of lost potential and some really odd choice casting (Chris Evans and Michael Chiklis as the Human Torch and the Thing respectively were inspired casting choices, but everyone else was just weird).

Plus, this might be the oddest thing I say... but the Fantastic Four is perhaps the most "Disney" thing Marvel has. I would have loved a reboot with the Dr. Doom and Galactus/Silver Surfer stories done RIGHT.

But alas... Marvel gets Daredevil. Hopefully their reboot will be good.

I do agree I'd rather they have gotten FF rights instead too mainly because of the potential uses for Silver Surfer and Galactus. Thanos, which Marvel has now, is a major key player that has long connections with those two.

I don't agree FF is the most "Disney" of Marvel franchise. If you know the whole Galactus and Silver Surfer stories, not to mention all the time traveling and dimension hopping shit that happens in FF, they seems way far remove from the very simple stuff Disney does.
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif