The Avengers

All topics on all things Marvel.
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

kbehm29 wrote:I am trying to convince my husband to take two of our boys to go see this on Sunday. I'm trying to save my money to take the whole family to see Brave. I'm really glad to hear that it's doing well and getting good reviews from the foreign market. :)
I hear you about trying to save money. "Avengers" and "Brave" are the only two summer films this year I actually care about.
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
AladdinFan
Special Edition

Post by AladdinFan »

Found this cool 'Avengers' promo shirt on ebay. As of right now it's $4.99 dont know if I should bid on it. I think I'm not the only one interested on a 'Avengers' shirt.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AVENGERS-new-mo ... 3375803445
buffalobill
Anniversary Edition

Post by buffalobill »

Avengers is getting rave reviews with 154 positive 13 negative (92%) @ Rotten Tomatoes. Looking forward to seeing it Saturday.
15 gallon 7 pint blood donor as of 1-4-11. Done donating. Apparently having Cancer makes you kind of ineligible to donate.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

I.

Hated.

It.

Man, was this movie bad. From the cringeworthy dialogue and ScarJo's bored ass Black Widow to the horrible puns and the incomprehensibly silly plot, it was a disaster from start to finish.

I have NO idea what movie the critics saw. What I saw was awful.
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

Do you like super hero movies?
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

PatrickvD wrote:I.

Hated.

It.

Man, was this movie bad. From the cringeworthy dialogue and ScarJo's bored ass Black Widow to the horrible puns and the incomprehensibly silly plot, it was a disaster from start to finish.

I have NO idea what movie the critics saw. What I saw was awful.

The man with no taste.

A potential movie idea.
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
Mr arrow
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Mr arrow »

While I loved Captain America and equally Thor...I am looking forward to kickin back with the Avengers with my nephew...Having said that I am still having a hard time with the MARVELisation of all things Disney...It almost seems as if this is Iger's agenda...For the record I dont have a problem with Marvel and its army of men in tights saving the world over and over...and over...just havin trouble incorporating it into the Disney I grew up with...jussayin is all... :)
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

Mr arrow wrote:While I loved Captain America and equally Thor...I am looking forward to kickin back with the Avengers with my nephew...Having said that I am still having a hard time with the MARVELisation of all things Disney...It almost seems as if this is Iger's agenda...For the record I dont have a problem with Marvel and its army of men in tights saving the world over and over...and over...just havin trouble incorporating it into the Disney I grew up with...jussayin is all... :)

Just think of this as the equivalent to Warner Bros' DC Comics.
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
Prince Edward
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Edward »

Mondo Unveils AVENGERS Posters for Thor, Iron Man, Captain America, and Hulk
http://collider.com/the-avengers-mondo- ... an/161929/

Mondo Unveils Final Poster for THE AVENGERS
http://collider.com/the-avengers-mondo-poster/163838/
Favorite Disney-movies: Snow White, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan, Tarzan, Tangled, Frozen, Pirates, Enchanted, Prince of Persia, Tron, Oz The Great and Powerful
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Avaitor wrote:Do you like super hero movies?
I do. I loved the first Iron Man and the batman films.

But this was a mess to me, sorry.
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

I loved this movie!!! Maybe part of some people's problem with this film is that if you follow the comics or know any stories that align with these characters you'll find it is a very well thought out film.

I can't wait to go see it again! :D
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

PatrickvD, you must not have seen the same movie as everyone else.

Because this was by far the best super-hero movie ever made. Fan-freaking-tastic. SO AWESOME.

Make sure you stay all the way to the VERY end of the credits, though - there are TWO extra scenes - one before the rolling credits, and one after.
Khonnor
Special Edition

Post by Khonnor »

Me and some friends went to watch it last night and they loved it but I hated it!

Not really hate, just didn't care for it. Funny thing is, they had not seen the individual movies, but I have.

There wasn't much happening, it felt way too long for a superhero movie and the final battle, to me, was just a copy-paste from last year's TransFormers movie. Nothing I haven't seen before. Most of them seemed bored to play in this movie and were on automatic pilot (as they say in Dutch). Loki was a weak villain imo and I already thought so during the THOR movie. I really wonder why they chose to go with him.

They literally made one joke/pun and just recycled it every other minute for a different character.

It was just all over the place, slow and really messy. Dare I say, extremely boring imo. Nothing I have not seen before.

The best character/actor to me, was Robert Downey, though he's always playing the same part (Sherlock Holmes, Iron Man, even his part in Ally McBeal is basically the same actor. One of the reasons I think Johnny Depp is a terrible actor is for the same reason, he just plays the same character, only with a different outfit)

I did like The Hulk in this movie (after the terrible 2004 and 2008 movies) and his two scenes with Thor (at central station) and Loki (at Stark's) were funny, I must admit.

I felt bad for the only character dying had to be that agent (won't mention his name for spoilers sake). I liked him in the other movies and this one. I saw no use in Agent Hill. She was just clumsing around all the time where it just got silly.

To whoever likes this movie...no one's stopping you. Good for you!

It was a "fun" fluff popcorn movie to me, nothing more, nothing less.

I rather watch X-Men 2 or Spiderman 2 or even Iron Man again.

Heck, I'd rather watch Batman & Robin.
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

Khonnor wrote:I felt bad for the only character dying had to be that agent (won't mention his name for spoilers sake). I liked him in the other movies and this one.
Hmmm, gee, I wonder, who could that agent be? :wink: The point is, you pretty much gave it away already, so please, for the sake of people who dislike spoilers (I'm not one of them), spoiler-tag your post.
Khonnor
Special Edition

Post by Khonnor »

Mooky wrote:Hmmm, gee, I wonder, who could that agent be? :wink: The point is, you pretty much gave it away already, so please, for the sake of people who dislike spoilers (I'm not one of them), spoiler-tag your post.
:lol: Excuse me, princess....

But to be honest.... 8) I have no clue how...
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

Khonnor wrote:
Mooky wrote:Hmmm, gee, I wonder, who could that agent be? :wink: The point is, you pretty much gave it away already, so please, for the sake of people who dislike spoilers (I'm not one of them), spoiler-tag your post.
:lol: Excuse me, princess....

But to be honest.... 8) I have no clue how...
Just put [ color = white ] (without spaces between words/signs) before spoiler and [ / color ] after the spoiler.

:wave:
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

After spending a little more than 12 hours in a movie theater yesterday, I was so happy with The Avengers movie and it was a cap on a great day of Super hero films.

The day started off with Iron Man, and after a brief intermission came Iron Man 2, and then we were treated to an extended preview of The Avengers before a screening of Captain America which, after intermission, was followed by Thor and then we got another extended and different look at the main event, The Avengers.

For $45, it was well worth the price of admission to watch all these films presented in 100% Digital including Dolby Digital and THX picture. The theater holds about 280 people, and I would say from my view it was more than two-thirds full all day, and then what seats were empty were filled for the climax of the evening, the showing of The Avengers.

It was a treat to see all of the Super heros on the screen, and I really liked the way they introduced each one. Samuel L. Jackson was truly the star of this film as Nick Fury, the leader S.H.I.E.L.D. The two characters most unfamiliar to audiences were Black Widow and Hawkeye. Joss Whedon directed this great action film with the same zest that he brought to his television series "Firefly", and there was lots of humor in the film as those who were not around when technology came through react to certain things.

Having changed the actor who play Hulk didn't bother me one bit. Mark Ruffalo was the perfect choice to play Bruce Banner/Hulk. It was truly funny to watch Thor, who is not of this Earth, react to some of the things we take for granted, running water.

It is Thor's brother Loki who is wreaking havoc on the planet Earth and Nick Fury has to get all the characters rounded up to fight to save the world. Caution, don't leave the theater while the credits are running, there is a big surprise at the end of the credits.

Running just over 2 hours and 25 minutes, The Avengers gets a minimum of 4 out of 5 stars in my book and I am happy to say that when it is released on Blu-ray, I will be at the head of the line at Best Buy to get my copy.

Movies are supposed to be entertainment, and The Avengers was very entertaining to say the least. I will probably go see this at least once or twice more before it leaves the big screen.
Last edited by dvdjunkie on Fri May 04, 2012 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
Animalia
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Animalia »

So here is my semi-review/experience seeing the film at the AMC Ultimate Marvel Movie Marathon.

I had a fun time going to the Ultimate Marvel Movie Marathon, especially since before each film they had Agent Coulson (on the screen) give comments about each of the heros, he made some funny comments about Iron Man and Captain America. All I can say is I'm glad they had candy because watching six movies with twenty minute breaks and watching three of the films in 3D and also staying up till about 2:30 am wasn't easy. It was a really fun experience with a great audience participation. Everyone clapped or cheered when a hero entered the screen, a villain got his butt kicked and also it was funny whenever Black Widow came on and was wearing a sexy outfit the men in the audience whistled. They got a little rowdy right before Avengers film began and started booing when the trailers started (they played trailers only before the Avengers) and would boo at some of the trailers and clap at others. Just thought the Pixar people would like to know they did clap when the Brave trailer started. They booed at the Battleship trailer.

Now on to the semi-review/experience. Well, all I can say is I am conflicted about the film. I really liked the film, until there was one part that was almost ruined the whole film for me.

Which was Agent Coulson dying. They didn't need to do it. Some people might say oh they needed for it to happen because the Avengers now had something to bring them together, but they could have just had Coulson go to the hospital in critical condition and you don't know if he'll survive or not and then have at the end someone say that Agent Coulson is going to recover, easy to do and it also would have brought some more tension when the Avengers were battling the aliens that they would go back to the hospital and see him in a critical state and they doctors saying that he might not survive. It would have had the same effect but no one would have been ticked off, which about everyone in the audience was and when someone shouted Coulson should be brought back everyone cheered.

Agent Coulson's death made the movie not fun entertainment anymore and instead made it a less enjoyable film because a fan favorite was killed off. I know some people will say it made the film less predictable, more dark, etc, etc but if I wanted to see a film that had a much darker tone or had characters I care about die I'd watch one of the Batman films. Also just to make another point of the stupidity of it, the director Joss Whedon is known for killing off beloved characters so it would have been less predictable for no important good guy to die. When I go see a Marvel film I don't want enjoyable characters to die. Now I'll have to read spoilers before I go see a Marvel movie because they might kill off another character, are they going to have in Iron Man 3 Pepper Potts die? They did a similar thing in Dark Knight with the romantic interest. I know Bucky died in Captain America but he was in just one film, so you never got really attached to him and also it is possible he could still be alive and become the Winter Soldier but Coulson isn't in the comics so I won't know if he could come technical back or not.

So now I'm going to be more cautious about seeing a Marvel film and not just see it because it is by Marvel and they also have ticked me and lots of people off.

I'm considering sending a letter to Marvel or someone and mentioning how they ticked me off and other people as well and that they should bring Agent Coulson back somehow. I know he's dead but they've brought back many characters back to life in the comics, so I'm sure they can do it with Coulson. I'd still be mad but at least I'd feel better and be much more likely to see a Marvel film without having to read the spoilers.

That's the end of my rant and now I'll mention what I thought of the film excluding what I just ranted about.

I really enjoyed the film until Coulson died, and it was a very epic film. I mean probably about 70% of the film was either people fighting physical or verbally and there really wasn't a middle ground for the tone of the film, you either were laughing or sitting at the edge of your seat trying not to bite your fingernails. Most of the Avengers were really well developed, so I could see someone who has never seen any of the films understand them. The only one who really wasn't was Hawkeye because he was under Loki's control for a good portion of the film. So I didn't really know his character.

Let me break down some of the characters one by one. Iron Man was the same egotistical fun character that you like even though he has an ego the size of the Hulk. I really liked an upgrade they added to his suit which was when Loki pushed him off the building and Tony sent a suit to himself when he was falling and he was wearing a bracelet that sent red lasers to the suit which scanned his body so it knew where to put his suit on for him.

Mark Ruffalo as Bruce Banner/Hulk did a great job and is the best actor who has played the Hulk in the films. I liked that he didn't mind if someone made a wisecrack at his Hulk persona, it didn't seem to bother him and the Hulk actually had the best scene in the film, I'm not going to spoil it but lets just say that you shouldn't mess with the Hulk.

Captain America was still a great character even though he had some verbal spars that were not particularly mature. I was surprised though that you never really got his take on the modern world, it was just a few lines then dropped. So hopefully the sequel will have him playing with an iPad. :D Glad that they kept his American idealism in and didn't make him a complete cynic, I really just got the vibe that he was miffed about being in the future and not that he was becoming less idealistic. He had a great line about God.

Thor was kind of confusing. Because on the one hand he was very humble in some scenes but in others he showed some signs of his previous arrogance. Which was kind of surprising but I guess they needed him to be less humble so the Avengers team wouldn't work so good as a team.

Black Widow was awesome again even though she sometimes used puny looking guns. There was one scene where I thought they were going to make her not such a fun/smart character but she turned the scene around 360 degrees.

Hawkeye I never really got as a character. It wasn't like Black Widow where she is very mysterious but you at least know her personality. Hawkeye I never really got what his personality was, okay maybe a rogue type but I would really have preferred to see more of him not under Loki's control.

Nick Fury was interesting because from the previous scenes in the other films he was in, I thought he wasn't the type to manipulate people but he did in this film but then he was back to being the cool spy with an eyepatch that you don't mess with.

Agent Coulson was the best and it was great to see much more of him in this film, he and also Iron Man had the best lines in the film. whoever had the idea that he had a man crush on Captain America should get a promotion. As I mentioned before he shouldn't have died, so I'm praying that they somehow bring him back alive in the next films and not just flashbacks.

In this film Loki was mad, bad and dangerous to know. In Thor I felt he maybe could be redeemed but in this film he was way too far gone to be redeemed. So I did very much relish every time Loki was pwned in someway. I do have to admit his hair looked weird in this film, it looked very oily.

I'd probably give the film a 9.5/10 without the part I didn't like and with it I'd give it a 6/10. So if you don't care about the part I was ranting about, then I think people will really enjoy it, but if you do care then you may be ticked at the director for a good portion of the film.

Btw do stay till after the credits.
JiminyCrick91
Platinum Edition

Post by JiminyCrick91 »

dvdjunkie wrote: David Banner/Hulk.
Bruce Banner. He was David in the TV show only but maybe I should have let that sit considering I clicked the wrong thing trying to reply to your review and found out Animalia's heartbreaking spoiler...

-Skyler
Animalia
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Animalia »

JiminyCrick91 wrote:
dvdjunkie wrote: David Banner/Hulk.
Bruce Banner. He was David in the TV show only but maybe I should have let that sit considering I clicked the wrong thing trying to reply to your review and found out Animalia's heartbreaking spoiler...

-Skyler
Aww sorry! I did put everything in white!

Maybe this might help with your pain.

Spoiler Alerts!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0AsUfIHuVA

it does give me hope that they could bring him back. :(