All topics on all things Marvel.
Prince Edward
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Edward »

Around-the-World Roundup: 'Avengers' Reaches $1 Billion Worldwide
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3443&p=.htm

Weekend Report: 'Avengers' Shatters More Records
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3442&p=.htm

"The Avengers is Disney's fifth billion-dollar movie following Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest, Toy Story 3, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides and Alice in Wonderland. No other studio has more than two billion-dollar movies.":D
Favorite Disney-movies: Snow White, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan, Tarzan, Tangled, Frozen, Pirates, Enchanted, Prince of Persia, Tron, Oz The Great and Powerful
Barbossa
Collector's Edition

Post by Barbossa »

Prince Edward wrote:"The Avengers is Disney's fifth billion-dollar movie following Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest, Toy Story 3, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides and Alice in Wonderland. No other studio has more than two billion-dollar movies.":D
And John Carter gets swept under the rug. Never happened. :excellent:
Polizzi
Special Edition

Post by Polizzi »

What if, "The Avengers," reaches $3 billion worldwide against, "Avatar?" Also, hold 1st place at the box office for, I should say, 10 weeks or more?
Pokeholic_Prince
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Pokeholic_Prince »

Polizzi wrote:What if, "The Avengers," reaches $3 billion worldwide against, "Avatar?" Also, hold 1st place at the box office for, I should say, 10 weeks or more?
The Avengers has a really good chance of reaching close to Titanic numbers. But holding 10weeks straight at number one will be difficult especially during the summer, where there is going to be competition from spider-man and the dark knight. However, it isn't impossible. This years box-office numbers have surprised me.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Polizzi wrote:What if, "The Avengers," reaches $3 billion worldwide against, "Avatar?" Also, hold 1st place at the box office for, I should say, 10 weeks or more?
Then it'll show James Cameron that he's not the only person who can make a movie and gross billions of smackaroos. :P
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

I finally saw The Avengers (2012) alone today (since no one else in my family really cares for superhero films). I found it to be pretty enjoyable for the most part. I should let you know that I have not read any of the comics in the past or watched any of the tv series so I have no previous knowledge, but it was still a fun film.

One of my problems was that some of the action scenes did drag on a little too longer then they should have. One example is toward the end, when the monsters start
invading New York.

As usual, I also did enjoy Stan Lee's cameo, since he's the Alfred Hitchcock of superhero movies.
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

Pokeholic_Prince wrote:
The Avengers has a really good chance of reaching close to Titanic numbers. But holding 10weeks straight at number one will be difficult especially during the summer, where there is going to be competition from spider-man and the dark knight. However, it isn't impossible. This years box-office numbers have surprised me.
Yes, being the first summer movie does hurt it's chances of staying on top of the box office that long, which is a thing I feel helped "The Dark Knight" make some of it's money anyway, as it was the last big summer film in 2008. I seriously doubt things would have been the same had it come out in May or June. But you never know what can happen, "Avengers" has set a very high bar for this summer movie season.
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
Pokeholic_Prince
Gold Classic Collection

milojthatch wrote:
Pokeholic_Prince wrote: The Avengers has a really good chance of reaching close to Titanic numbers. But holding 10weeks straight at number one will be difficult especially during the summer, where there is going to be competition from spider-man and the dark knight. However, it isn't impossible. This years box-office numbers have surprised me.
Yes, being the first summer movie does hurt it's chances of staying on top of the box office that long, which is a thing I feel helped "The Dark Knight" make some of it's money anyway, as it was the last big summer film in 2008. I seriously doubt things would have been the same had it come out in May or June. But you never know what can happen, "Avengers" has set a very high bar for this summer movie season.
Agreed, "Avengers" has also beaten all analyst predictions as well. It does have a solid month before any real competition.
Polizzi
Special Edition

Post by Polizzi »

Pixar’s “The Avengers”
http://www.cartoonbrew.com/pixar/pixars ... ngers.html

P.S. Has anyone posted this or not?
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Ha! I love it.

Just wouldnt want it to be a movie. :lol:
Animalia
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Animalia »

ajmrowland wrote:Ha! I love it.

Just wouldnt want it to be a movie. :lol:
I don't know it might be worth it just to have John Ratzenberger as Stan Lee. :D
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

Looks like the movie has grossed over the $500 million domestic mark with this passing weekend.
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

I have not seen the movie yet (though I plan on seeing it soon), but I wanted to chime in my two thoughts on the movie's success.

I honestly think The Avengers should be used as an example of how to do a summer blockbuster right. It provides a lot of flash, but does it with substance. That substance is character, humor and a solid story. This is something the Transformers movies severely lack but could have easily done.

It's no wonder people are still going to see the movie weeks after it has premiered, there is just a lot to enjoy in the movie. Again haven't seen the movie, but based on the reviews and comments it does seem to be the rare kind of blockbuster that delivers on every level.
ImageImageImageImage

Pokeholic_Prince
Gold Classic Collection

pap64 wrote:I have not seen the movie yet (though I plan on seeing it soon), but I wanted to chime in my two thoughts on the movie's success.

I honestly think The Avengers should be used as an example of how to do a summer blockbuster right. It provides a lot of flash, but does it with substance. That substance is character, humor and a solid story. This is something the Transformers movies severely lack but could have easily done.

It's no wonder people are still going to see the movie weeks after it has premiered, there is just a lot to enjoy in the movie. Again haven't seen the movie, but based on the reviews and comments it does seem to be the rare kind of blockbuster that delivers on every level.
You're basically right on every level. The film is super fun and entertaining, but doesn't give up on substance. You need go see it soon.
SillySymphony
Gold Classic Collection

Post by SillySymphony »

You know it's had a big impact when your graduation speech is about the Avengers. Went to a graduation ceremony last Friday and the guest speaker spent about 10 minutes on the movie. His theme was Freedom so he got to slip in scenes from the film. He quoted mainly from the Loki and Cap scene.
theCat'sOut/Flowers&Trees/theFlyingMouse/theSkeletonDance/theThreeLittlePigs
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

I also forgot to mention... The cynics may say that the movies prior to the Avengers were nothing but glorified trailers and advertisements for the movie, but I think it was a brilliant, brilliant move on Marvel's behalf. It helped people get acquainted with the characters. I think the movie wouldn't be as successful without them.

I mean, Iron Man is fairly popular, yes, but the last Hulk movie we got was a disaster, the only Captain America movie we remember is the dreaded 90s movie, and Thor is just a somewhat obscure character. Had The Avengers been made without the movies it wouldn't have left as big of an impact. The movies perfectly set up the universe so that we knew what to expect when the movie came out.
ImageImageImageImage

Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

SillySymphony wrote:You know it's had a big impact when your graduation speech is about the Avengers. Went to a graduation ceremony last Friday and the guest speaker spent about 10 minutes on the movie. His theme was Freedom so he got to slip in scenes from the film. He quoted mainly from the Loki and Cap scene.
That's just awesome.

And would've been something I did if I graduated and was valedictorian. :lol:
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

BUMP!

Today I FINALLY went to see the movie, and I absolutely LOVED IT.

Here's the reason why... I could have been... nay SHOULD have been a disaster. It was many years in the making, it was highly anticipaated, it featured a lot of big characters played by very important stars and the story somehow had to include all of them and still make it engaging on all levels. Again, this should have been the perfect recipe for one of the biggest bombs of the century. But nope! It all worked almost perfectly.

Lile I previously mentioned, I think it was genius of Marvel to create separate movies that lead up to this one. While I think it stands somewhat fine on its own, you get enough character development out of the other movies that you come in knowing what these guys are all about. I loved the small nods they threw in to the other movies, I loved how everything was perfectly set up with the other movies, I loved how it all felt grand, big and epic.

Seriously, the only bad thing I can think about it is that some action scenes went on for a tad too long and I grew a tad impatient in some cases. But everything else? Once again, THIS is how you do a big summer blockbuster right: lots of action but with a lot of substance to top it all off. It's everything Michael Bay's Transformers wants to be but will never be: the humor is witty without relying on tired stereotypes for shock humor, the action is grand but never confusing and there's a reason for all this danger. Hell, I think the movie managed to be much more American than the Transformers will ever muster (and I am not talking about Captain America).

As expected, Tony and Bruce Banner stole the show, and I loved their interactions with each other. It was, however, fantastic when Tony and Steve clashed their egos. It made for some genuinely tense but still hilarious dialogue. The only disappointment is that Thor wasn't given much to do beyond being the guide to get Loki back to Asgard and get the cube back. I hope he gets to do more in the sequel. Still even with that little flaw I still walked out feeling great.

Oh yes, I saw this in 3D and it honestly blew my mind. Seriously, last year I saw three movies in 3D: Kung Fu Panda 2, On Stranger Tides and Deathly Hallows Part 2. Either the theater greatly improved their digital projection system or the movie has some of the best 3D conversion I have ever seen. Even in the darkest scenes (what tends to hinder the quality of a 3D movie) everything popped out, and the sense of depth as amazing, especially when you were flying behind Iron Man. The smoke trailers, the sparks, the glass, the menus on Tony's helmet, everything had a great effect to it that honestly surprised me beyond belief.

Overall, I loved this movie. Yeah, it has some slight pace issues and some characters are not given enough to do, but like I said, for a movie that had the word DISASTER written all over it it managed to blow my expectations away. I liked that it wrapped its own story while still leaving it open enough for the future movies and its own sequel. I can't wait to see more of this, I had a grand time watching this movie.
ImageImageImageImage

ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Even my mom and sister, who havent seen the other films except *possibly* Iron Man 1 and part of TIH, greatly enjoyed the movie.
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

I still haven't seen this (I know, shame on me), but I did pre-order it from Amazon which has a $5 coupon for the 3D version. I doubt I'll be disappointed since everyone on here, and the rest of the world, seems to love this film.
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/