Jodi Benson Homophobic

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
leo_brasil

Jodi Benson Homophobic

Post by leo_brasil »

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZE4i7DTMHc

I found this video on youtube... poor girl, she heard from "Ariel" that she should go against something that you can't control... What do you think, is she just too religious or homophobic? She always mention Howard as a great friend, and he was gay, but on the other side, she mentions Jesus too much...
toonaspie
Anniversary Edition

Post by toonaspie »

Ultimate Disney sure does love opening its many cans of worms, doesn't it?
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

If what the girl in the video said is true, I'm really disappointed in Jodi Benson right now. :(
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Like I said in another thread: I'm not surprised by that. She always seemed like that "kind" of person. :P She still has a beautiful voice and a lot of talent.

That said, it doesn't affect my view of Ariel at all--because Ariel would be intelligent enough to see through old-fashioned prejudices. :)

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dtS96H6MgE0" frameborder="0"></iframe>
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

Turned it off after 30 seconds. Who IS this nobody and why should be believe ANYTHING she says?
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

It is true Jodi is very very religious. If she homophobic I honestly can't say for 100% sure.
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Goliath wrote:Turned it off after 30 seconds. Who IS this nobody and why should be believe ANYTHING she says?
Well, here's a link to a thread she started on imdb- http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0072533/board/flat/137853237; a picture that proves she was there (with Jodi)- http://i51.tinypic.com/68fu5z.jpg; and our very own Poody who was there at the concert (evidenced here http://www.dvdizzy.com/forum/viewtopic. ... on&start=0, last post) verified her story here (http://www.dvdizzy.com/forum/viewtopic. ... &start=180, middle of the page).

So, yes, I believe her story. And I am disappointed, but I still love Jodi's voice, and it hasn't affected my appreciation for her character Ariel.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

It sounds like that Jodi doesn't hate gay people (she has a huge gay fanbase I'm gathering, plus she worked with Ashman and says good things about him), but she doesn't believe in being gay and stuff. You know the saying, "Don't hate the sinner, hate the sin." (NOT SAYING THAT HOMOSEXUALITY IS A SIN)

Besides, you can't hate her for not believing in homosexuality because of her faith. :) :) :) But, yeah I do feel bad for the poor girl. That was still really harsh of Jodi, esepecially the repenting part. And I do agree with the girl.
Last edited by disneyprincess11 on Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

disneyprincess11 wrote:Besides, you can't hate her for not believing in homosexuality because of her faith. :) :) :)
Yes you can. Disliking a group of people because of religion is bullshit, and it's what wrong with the world. It is the world's single biggest problem.
Cheshire_Cat
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Cheshire_Cat »

Honestly, I'm not surprised in the slightest if she holds some anti-gay sentiments. She is known for being very religious and she homeschools her children.

Some of us may disagree with her stance on homosexuality, but let's not make a big deal out of this. This is probably a privately-held belief of hers, anyway, since she never mentions social issues in her public statements (except for an AIDS fundraiser she took part in in the early '90s).
DancingCrab
Anniversary Edition

Post by DancingCrab »

Ugh, I don't see how trying to demonize this woman is going to do ANYTHING to advance gay rights. Please, people, pick some more important battles for equality. She isn't going around campaigning or making it her crusade to stop the gays. So stop fishing for people to dislike, it just makes one look bitchy. :roll:

and before some moron tries to accuse me of anything, I am a proud and loud gay man...who happens to think he can be that way without putting other people down.
Disney Duster

Re: Jodi Benson Homophobic

Post by Disney Duster »

It is okay for her to hold her own religious belief that homosexuality is wrong, as long as she doesn't make anyone feel bad with it. Have you ever had a friend who disagreed with you? Like maybe your friend was into something you disapproved of? But as long as you let that friend do it despite letting them know you believe it's wrong, you can still be friends, it's alright.

That doesn't mean that every gay person in the world shouldn't try to tell her why homosexuality isn't wrong any chance they get if she can say why she thinks it is wrong. And I wouldn't certainly do that if I met her.

Actually, I would say, "Oh yea, Jodi? Well, do you think getting a nose job is okay in the eyes of the lord? Do you think changing yourself from how he made you in his image is okay?" But she'd probably start crying... At least that might make her re-think.

I don't think she would have voiced Ariel if she thought Ariel was accepting of gays, or didn't believe in God, or something. Not that any Disney movie would really talk about that, but if she'd probably never agree to be a character who was gay-accepting.

How I look at it is like with my favorite princess voiced by Ilene Woods. It's very possible Ilene Woods would be unaccepting of gays herself (accept that in Cinderella she's friends with some totally gay fashion-designing cuddling-on-a-log boy mice), but I would treat her like she might treat me: I might think she's wrong, but I would forgive her, and I'd still love her and her character even if she believes what she does for now on Earth.
leo_brasil wrote:She always mention Howard as a great friend, and he was gay, but on the other side, she mentions Jesus too much...
What do you mean mentions Jesus too much?
kenai3000
Gold Classic Collection

Post by kenai3000 »

Can't say I'm surprised. Jodi has the same views as my friend in Michigan I saw that coming from a mile away. I am disappointed still because Ariel is my favorite princess and TLM is my favorite Disney movie.
Disney is awesome, and was the biggest part of my childhood.
magicalwands
Collector's Edition

Post by magicalwands »

Disney Duster wrote:It is okay for her to hold her own religious belief that homosexuality is wrong, as long as she doesn't make anyone feel bad with it. Have you ever had a friend who disagreed with you? Like maybe your friend was into something you disapproved of? But as long as you let that friend do it despite letting them know you believe it's wrong, you can still be friends, it's alright.
If my friends do drugs, I disagree with their actions but that is their choice. We were put on this earth to love so attraction is natural. Being gay is not a choice. My friends CHOSE to do drugs. There is a difference. And anyone who tries to resist love will know it is torture and will make anyone just down right miserable.

Having a friend thinking homosexuality is wrong is like having a friend who hates me for my brown eyes.
kenai3000
Gold Classic Collection

Post by kenai3000 »

magicalwands wrote:
Disney Duster wrote:It is okay for her to hold her own religious belief that homosexuality is wrong, as long as she doesn't make anyone feel bad with it. Have you ever had a friend who disagreed with you? Like maybe your friend was into something you disapproved of? But as long as you let that friend do it despite letting them know you believe it's wrong, you can still be friends, it's alright.
Having a friend thinking homosexuality is wrong is like having a friend who hates me for my brown eyes.
Thank you! I agree with this 100%. I am still in shock because she plays Ariel. If anything she totally disrespected Howard Ashman by saying that as he was gay. I wouldn't doubt that he's rolling in his grave now. I will never look at TLM the same way again that's for sure.
Disney is awesome, and was the biggest part of my childhood.
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

toonaspie wrote:Ultimate Disney sure does love opening its many cans of worms, doesn't it?
Ya think? When I first found this forum, I thought it would be a fun place to talk Disney. Little did I know we'd end up talking about more...controversial issues instead.

Like anyone here cares, but I think my respect for Jodi has grown. How much courage does it take to be strongly religious in the animation/ Hollywood culture like that? A thing people who are not religious in that culture, or just period may not really understand. And yet, despite the fact that many people that could even be working beside her probably hates her guts because she believes in what she does, she stands by her beliefs and morals anyway. No matter if you agree with those morals or not, I'd hope even gays could respect that much.

I'll say this again and will keep saying it: "tolerance" in the modern form of the word, is a two way street. It would be good for certain people to take that to heart and stop religious bashing.
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

admittedly, religion in films used to not take much courage at all, but standing up for what you believe in=/=courage.
Jackoleen
In The Vaults

XXX!

Post by Jackoleen »

Dear Disney Enthusiasts,

XXX!
Last edited by Jackoleen on Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:13 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Farewell For Now,
Jackoleen

-------------------------------

I wish to be seduced in a royal Asian locale!
Rose Dome
Special Edition

Post by Rose Dome »

milojthatch wrote:Like anyone here cares, but I think my respect for Jodi has grown. How much courage does it take to be strongly religious in the animation/ Hollywood culture like that? A thing people who are not religious in that culture, or just period may not really understand. And yet, despite the fact that many people that could even be working beside her probably hates her guts because she believes in what she does, she stands by her beliefs and morals anyway. No matter if you agree with those morals or not, I'd hope even gays could respect that much.

I'll say this again and will keep saying it: "tolerance" in the modern form of the word, is a two way street. It would be good for certain people to take that to heart and stop religious bashing.
My respect for Jodi hasn't grown at all. She might choose to be a Christian (and a homophobe), but a gay person doesn't choose to be gay :x
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

So milo, if I chose to not respect, say, Mormons, would your respect for me increase also? If I said I don't believe that black people should be able to get married, would any logical person say "Boy, I respect you for standing by your views?"
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"