Moana

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Hey, I just don't want Disney to ultimately screw us, along with John and Ron, over by making something they want to be hand-drawn in CGI animation instead. Honestly, that'd be like how Jeff Katzenberg almost had the guys at Pixar almost make Woody a complete jerk in Toy Story.

Don't believe me on the Woody almost being a jerk? Watch this.

<iframe width="720" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bk8a_C0ao9Y?rel=0" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Seriously, I don't want Disney to only make their future animated films be CG, when John Lasseter said he wanted to revive 2D animation and not have it turn out to be a lie. That would be TOTALLY unfair!

And by the way, I'm past the Randy Newman anger issue.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

And honestly, I hate how a company's decision rides on how a movie performs. They should learn NOT to be a fail and bail company.
TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Post by TsWade2 »

Hey come on, you guys! Calm down! Let's not jump to any conclusions. They're just nothing but a bunch of stupid rumors. It hasn't been greenlight yet. You don't know what it's going to happen to 2D Animation. So, why don't we just take a grain of salt. Okay?
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

DisneyJedi wrote:And honestly, I hate how a company's decision rides on how a movie performs. They should learn NOT to be a fail and bail company.
Except you're forgetting that film is a business. Even Walt Disney operated that way. Fantasia was a massive bomb, so he decided to make smaller and less experimental films like Dumbo and the package features. And the reason he decided to make Cinderella? Because he wanted an easy hit and Snow White was his biggest hit at the time, so he greenlit another fairy tale adaptation.

Zanuck, Mayer, Warner and Selznick operated in a similar manner and so will all of the executives through the years to come. The reason why had Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Pocahontas etc the way they were was because of how successful The Little Mermaid was and so the filmmakers made the films in a similar style.

In fact, the decision to make Beauty and the Beast a Broadway-style musical was actually rather last-minute (due to the recent success of Little Mermaid) and Alan Menken and Howard Ashman were actually rather annoyed to be pushed onto the project when Aladdin was the big thing on their minds at the time. Yet, I think most people feel that Beauty and the Beast is their best work.

So, as you can see, greenlighting a film based on past success is not necessarily a bad thing at all.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

In the Hat Building
http://animationguildblog.blogspot.com/ ... lding.html
Anonymous #1 wrote:John Musker said that his upcoming film will be a combination of hand-drawn animation with CG elements and will be a musical.
Anonymous #2 wrote:NOT exactly. He said films like this were in development at the studio, he didn't say his film, or his next film was.
Steve Hulett wrote:I saw Ron & John yesterday, didn't talk to them, have no idea what feature(s) they are developing.
Hmm...Perhaps monorail91 who attended the lecture could clarify this for us. What did Musker exactly say?
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
monorail91
Gold Classic Collection

Post by monorail91 »

John was talking specifically about his next film with Ron, that it will be primarily hand-drawn but with elements of CGI, and that it will be a musical. No word yet on who will write the music though.
January 6, 2009 - Met Stephen Schwartz
September 4, 2009 - Met Tom Hulce
September 18, 2009 - Met Miley Cyrus
August 3, 2011 - Met John Musker
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

monorail91 wrote:John was talking specifically about his next film with Ron, that it will be primarily hand-drawn but with elements of CGI, and that it will be a musical. No word yet on who will write the music though.
Thanks for clearing that up!! :D
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

monorail91 wrote:John was talking specifically about his next film with Ron, that it will be primarily hand-drawn but with elements of CGI, and that it will be a musical. No word yet on who will write the music though.
.... Wasn't this mentioned before?
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

estefan wrote:
DisneyJedi wrote:And honestly, I hate how a company's decision rides on how a movie performs. They should learn NOT to be a fail and bail company.
Except you're forgetting that film is a business.
We all know that already. Doesn't make it any less depressing though. But that thinking is why I don't see the point in pretending there is hope for 2D at the moment; it's better not to get hopes up for something that's not going to happen. Money is king.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Post by TsWade2 »

Sotiris wrote:In the Hat Building
http://animationguildblog.blogspot.com/ ... lding.html
Anonymous #1 wrote:Could you tell me something about the new movie directed by Ron Clements and John Musker? I read on the web that it could be a new musical based on a fairy tale movie...I read rumors about this and people on the web are talking about Turandot, Cupid and Psyche or DonkeySkin... Is it true or not?
Anonymous #2 wrote:From what I have heard through the grapevine is that the studio wants Ron and John's film to be CG and they want it to be 2D. Hopefully Ron and John will get their 2D film.
Anonymous #3 wrote:Haven't heard anything about Ron and John getting approval for their new film. Is it in storyboarding already? I don't think Lasseter would force them to do CG if they didn't want to.
I think either Turandot or Donkeyskin will be interesting. But will just had to wait and see.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Up Through the Hat
http://animationguildblog.blogspot.com/ ... h-hat.html
Steve Hulett wrote:Back at the feature building on Riverside Drive, morale is better. Said a Diz Co. artist on the second floor:

"John [Lasseter] has been down since last week reviewing projects, and I think we're going to be doing one film a year for the next three years. Wreck-It Ralph, then King of the Elves, and then whatever's ready. There's a couple other projects in work. And Ron [Clements] and John [Musker] are going to be pitching to John ..."

They are still at the pitching stage?? :o
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Sotiris wrote:Up Through the Hat
http://animationguildblog.blogspot.com/ ... h-hat.html
Steve Hulett wrote:Back at the feature building on Riverside Drive, morale is better. Said a Diz Co. artist on the second floor:

"John [Lasseter] has been down since last week reviewing projects, and I think we're going to be doing one film a year for the next three years. Wreck-It Ralph, then King of the Elves, and then whatever's ready. There's a couple other projects in work. And Ron [Clements] and John [Musker] are going to be pitching to John ..."

They are still at the pitching stage?? :o
Well my guess is whatever they had previously fell through. There were issues with securing the rights to Mort. They're going through other ideas now most likely.
REINIER
Anniversary Edition

Post by REINIER »

Just hoping it'll be 2d ,that's all i'm worrying about for now :)
When it comes to brains, I got the lion-share,
but when it comes to bruth strength, I'm afraid I'm at the shallow end of the gene pool
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

REINIER wrote:Just hoping it'll be 2d ,that's all i'm worrying about for now :)
You and me both...
Alcazam
Limited Issue

Mort-ified

Post by Alcazam »

I think it's a tragedy that Mort was cancelled. I think the only way for Disney to stop repeating themselves is to take the chance on darker material, even if they have to do it under the Touchstone banner, and then re-release it as Disney when it's become a cult phenomenon.

I really wish Disney would use their talent in a better way. The Princess and the Frog was ok, but it just felt like a repetition of so many other things they've done.

btw, Where's Wise/Trousedale nowadays?
Wisedom comes suddenly
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

they work at other studios.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

They- Kirk Wise and Gary Trousdale- should at least work on another Disney film (preferably hand-drawn), if you ask me.
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyAnimation88 »

I don't know about Kirk Wise but I believe Gary Trousdale is currently working at DreamWorks.
We're not going to Guam, are we?
Alcazam
Limited Issue

Post by Alcazam »

DisneyJedi wrote:They- Kirk Wise and Gary Trousdale- should at least work on another Disney film (preferably hand-drawn), if you ask me.
Too bad. I usually prefer their films over Musker and Clement's films
Wisedom comes suddenly
Heartless
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Heartless »

All I care about is for Disney to continue a streak of good films. The medium, at this point, is not the highest priority. A good story is what really counts right now.
"Good and bad are labels created by people. Nature doesn't have such concepts."