Moana

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Post by TsWade2 »

I heard about the Paperman short. Someone review it on twitter and says it was incredible. Hmmmmm......this could be interesting.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

TsWade2 wrote:I heard about the Paperman short. Someone review it on twitter and says it was incredible. Hmmmmm......this could be interesting.
There is a thread with all the infomation available so far about "Paperman".
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Post by TsWade2 »

Sotiris wrote:
TsWade2 wrote:I heard about the Paperman short. Someone review it on twitter and says it was incredible. Hmmmmm......this could be interesting.
There is a thread with all the infomation available so far about "Paperman".
Oh, thanks. Sorry I doubted you. :D
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

DisneyJedi wrote:That is kind of what I mean, SWillie; a CG film that literally looks and moves like a hand-drawn film, which is what I hope they mean by a CG film with hand-drawn elements.
Well actually I'm thinking the other way around... but either way would be interesting. Who knows at this point. I'm excited to find out more about it though.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Steve Hulett wrote:Today, John [Musker] is working with his long-time partner Ron Clements on a new Disney project. They are in the early stages of development.
John Musker wrote:On this current project we're doing, we're working with a very talented writer at the moment; I don't know who the final writer will be, if the project even gets made...

Right now we're developing this thing where we're collaborating on kind of a story and we [him and Clements] may not do the first draft on this one and it will be interesting to see how it comes. Maybe we'll be more objective about it.
John Musker wrote:Hand-drawn animation faces an uncertain future right now. It's not clear; Is it going to continue? Will it be a hybrid? The jury is out right now.
Source: http://animationguildblog.blogspot.com/ ... t-iii.html
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyAnimation88 »

I'm still disappointed that Musker and Clements weren't able to proceed with their adaptation of Mort. It could have been a very interesting film and definitely would have been something different from the films Disney have made in the past.

Regardless, I hope they get the opportunity to make another film in the way that they want. Given the hype that was generated by the first news of John Kahrs' "Paperman" short last month, it will be interesting to see what that looks like and, if it's successful, whether it might be used in Musker and Clements' project.
We're not going to Guam, are we?
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

pap64 wrote:Tangled was I think the first CG movie to truly feel like a classic Disney film, which arguably Meet the Robinsons did. In fact... the three CG movies prior to Tangled were the Disney 60s films in CG form: they are experimental of a new medium, they are light in story and thus are not as "timeless" (though Meet the Robinsons was beyond awesome and needs more exposure than what it gets).
Tangled wasn't light on story, and I don't need to see Meet the Robinsons to know Tangled was the closest to classic a Disney CG film ever get. Notice, I said closest, not full on.
DisneyJedi wrote:That is kind of what I mean, SWillie; a CG film that literally looks and moves like a hand-drawn film, which is what I hope they mean by a CG film with hand-drawn elements.
You don't think that Tangled already accomplished that, after how hard they tried to make it that way? Even I think it accomplished that, not that there isn't room for improvement, like making it look like a painting like that image of her on the swing they made, and the CGI with outlines they reportedly made, or the CGI image that looked exactly like Snow White's hand-painted cottage from the original film.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

And we're back to worrying about hand-drawn's future. I just want to know for sure that they're NOT calling it quits on the medium. Granted, I'm not gonna get the answer to that immediately, but you get the idea! :(

At least we can try and pray that there's a ray of hope for the medium.
Heartless
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Heartless »

Disney Duster wrote:Tangled wasn't light on story, and I don't need to see Meet the Robinsons to know Tangled was the closest to classic a Disney CG film ever get. Notice, I said closest, not full on.
How can you even say something like that... Closest to a "classic Disney" CG film will ever get?
Disney Duster wrote:You don't think that Tangled already accomplished that, after how hard they tried to make it that way? Even I think it accomplished that, not that there isn't room for improvement, like making it look like a painting like that image of her on the swing they made, and the CGI with outlines they reportedly made, or the CGI image that looked exactly like Snow White's hand-painted cottage from the original film.
I don't think Tangled accomplished that at all.. I know they experimented with trying to make it look painterly, but I figured they stopped shooting for that look after a while and it just became CG. To me, it looks like any any CG film and cannot compare to hand-drawn in any way. However, I'd be interested in seeing the day someone is able to accomplish a CG hand-drawn look.
Disney Jedi wrote:And we're back to worrying about hand-drawn's future. I just want to know for sure that they're NOT calling it quits on the medium. Granted, I'm not gonna get the answer to that immediately, but you get the idea!
Before I clicked on this thread and saw you were the last response, I said to myself.. "I bet he's complaining about hand-drawn's supposed demise." What do you know, I was correct.
"Good and bad are labels created by people. Nature doesn't have such concepts."
TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Post by TsWade2 »

Sotiris wrote:
Steve Hulett wrote:Today, John [Musker] is working with his long-time partner Ron Clements on a new Disney project. They are in the early stages of development.
John Musker wrote:On this current project we're doing, we're working with a very talented writer at the moment; I don't know who the final writer will be, if the project even gets made...

Right now we're developing this thing where we're collaborating on kind of a story and we [him and Clements] may not do the first draft on this one and it will be interesting to see how it comes. Maybe we'll be more objective about it.
John Musker wrote:Hand-drawn animation faces an uncertain future right now. It's not clear; Is it going to continue? Will it be a hybrid? The jury is out right now.
Source: http://animationguildblog.blogspot.com/ ... t-iii.html
(Sigh) I don't understand what's wrong with Disney. Why can't they do hand drawn? I think Disney is in deep depression. :cry:
Last edited by TsWade2 on Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

What?? No! No one is SAYING that hand-drawn is dead! :x

Honestly, I just want to know whether or not they're not going to screw us over again.
TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Post by TsWade2 »

DisneyJedi wrote:What?? No! No one is SAYING that hand-drawn is dead! :x

Honestly, I just want to know whether or not they're not going to screw us over again.
sorry. i didn't mean hand drawn is dead. Hand drawn is not dead. It's just that, we always get bad news from TAGblog. I'm starting not to like that site. And it's seems to me it's like Disney is not really trying.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Heartless wrote:
Disney Duster wrote:Tangled wasn't light on story, and I don't need to see Meet the Robinsons to know Tangled was the closest to classic a Disney CG film ever get. Notice, I said closest, not full on.
How can you even say something like that... Closest to a "classic Disney" CG film will ever get?
Whoops. Make that GOT.
Heartless wrote:I don't think Tangled accomplished that at all.. I know they experimented with trying to make it look painterly, but I figured they stopped shooting for that look after a while and it just became CG. To me, it looks like any any CG film and cannot compare to hand-drawn in any way. However, I'd be interested in seeing the day someone is able to accomplish a CG hand-drawn look.
If YOU didn't notice how Tangled looks more like a Disney hand-drawn film than previous efforts, A LOT of other people DID. We know for a FACT they didn't give up on it when for instance Glen Keane HAND-DREW over the CGI animation and taught them hand-drawn principles all during the animating.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Really, Duster? Maybe I'm being narrow-minded, but I didn't exactly see any hand-drawn elements in Tangled, nor do I think it looked almost like a hand-drawn movie. If anything, it looked a LOT more CG than a mix of hand-drawn and CG. :oops:
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

DisneyJedi, with your extreme desire for hand-drawn films I didn't expect you to see the strides Tangled made in looking like hand-drawn either. Anyway, what I said above is all true.
TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Post by TsWade2 »

Disney Duster wrote:DisneyJedi, with your extreme desire for hand-drawn films I didn't expect you to see the strides Tangled made in looking like hand-drawn either. Anyway, what I said above is all true.
Wait wait wait! So, let me get this straight. After all this time, Disney hasn't give up hand drawn after all? If they haven't give up hand drawn, then why can't they do hand drawn when they're still doing CGI right now? This doesn't make sense! :?
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I don't know about all that, but Tangled is an exclusive case. It started with Michael Eisner asking Glen Keane to do Rapunzel Unbraided in CGI, and Glen did tests where a hand-drawn ballerina was replicated very satisfactorally in CGI, and then a painting was replicated in CGI, and then Michael Eisner left and John Lasseter asked Glen if he wanted Rapunzel to be in hand-drawn and Glen said his advancements in hand-drawn like CGI was too far to not continue with, and then he had health problems and stepped down but helped keep the animation hand-drawn looking when it became Tangled.

None of this means Disney has a certain position on hand-drawn animation.
TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Post by TsWade2 »

But it's like Disney is giving up hand drawn animation. Why can't they just confess if they're doing hand drawn or not? Why can't they listen to us Disney fans?
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Look, TsWade2. Could you please stop?
TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Post by TsWade2 »

DisneyJedi wrote:Look, TsWade2. Could you please stop?
Okay. Okay. Sorry.