Moana

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
DancingCrab
Anniversary Edition

Re: Musker & Clements' Moana

Post by DancingCrab »

unprincess wrote:the way Anna and Elsa are touching and looking at "big heroes" Jon and Ed is a bit creepy...what the heck is that all about?! :?
It would have been funny if they Photoshopped Ed to be a frozen ice sculpture, what with Elsa having her hand on his shoulder.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

unprincess wrote:Im really surprised to see Princess and the Frog and the Pooh charaters in that picture since the studio pretty much considers them failures.

the way Anna and Elsa are touching and looking at "big heroes" Jon and Ed is a bit creepy...what the heck is that all about?! :?
It's a pleasant surprise.

It seems that the studio is trying to create a narrative for WDAS' current 'era/age' and they decided to start the 'story' from The Princess and the Frog onwards. They could have picked Tangled and ignore Frog, but they didn't so that is positive.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

That picture would be okay if the Bolt characters weren't present. But I guess they just wanted to include all the films created under Lasseter...
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I guess they just wanted to include all the films created under Lasseter...
But they didn't include any characters from Meet the Robinsons.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Sotiris wrote:
Disney's Divinity wrote:I guess they just wanted to include all the films created under Lasseter...
But they didn't include any character from Meet the Robinsons.
Wow, that's weird. :o
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

disneyprincess11 wrote:
Sotiris wrote: But they didn't include any character from Meet the Robinsons.
Wow, that's weird. :o
I initially thought it weird, too, but I guess Lasseter came so late in the game to MtR that his influence on that film was less than on Bolt onward.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Yeah, that was another mistake in the article. It says that Bolt was the first one they touched, writing Meet the Robinsons off as a part of the previous management. This, despite John Lasseter being credited as executive producer on Robinsons. But I guess the box-office failure of that movie would have harmed the narrative Wired was going for.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Meet the Robinsons was heavily retooled under Lasseter. The entire second act was re-written and nearly 60% of the original film was scrapped. At the time, there were many articles on how Lasseter "saved" the film.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

estefan wrote:But I guess the box-office failure of that movie would have harmed the narrative Wired was going for.
Exactly. Robinsons was the real financial failure of the previous decade. Reports on the budget are shady and unclear and it didn't do anything at the international Box Office.

In Disney's eyes the film is as buried as Home on the Range.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

tsom wrote:Of course it is a stretch, which is why I said "To me". It's just my opinion. I wish nothing but success for Moana. I'm just saying that this new Disney era we're in reminds me of everything I've read and researched about 1989-1990s Disney. The coincidences and similarities are all there.
True, but it's still funny that the movie who ended up being the huge blockbuster on this new era wasn't a movie with naturalistic animals, as "The Lion King" was. I can see the resemblance between "TPATF"/"Mermaid" and "B&TB"/"Tangled", but "TLK" and "Frozen" are only similar that they are blockbusters (though I consider "TLK" to be a way more superior movie than "Frozen").
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

An interview with one of the story artists of the movie

http://www.thewhatitdo.com/2014/10/23/g ... d-derrick/
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

disneyprincess11 wrote:An interview with one of the story artists of the movie

Make note that the photo of Moana is a fan art and not the official design of the character.
TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Post by TsWade2 »

DisneyFan09 wrote:

Make note that the photo of Moana is a fan art and not the official design of the character.
Thanks for the warning.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

DisneyFan09 wrote:

Yeah, I remember the original poster, posting it on Tumblr: "I think this is how she'll look like". Poor artist. The media takes every tiny fan art, seriously :roll:
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

disneyprincess11 wrote: Yeah, I remember the original poster, posting it on Tumblr: "I think this is how she'll look like". Poor artist. The media takes every tiny fan art, seriously :roll:
Yes, they do.

I didn't mind that fan art design, at least it was superior to the "Frozen"-designs. But I hope they will make better designs to the characters in "Moana".
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

disneyprincess11 wrote: Yeah, I remember the original poster, posting it on Tumblr: "I think this is how she'll look like". Poor artist. The media takes every tiny fan art, seriously :roll:
Haha, that's true. I didn't mind that design, I thought it was superior to the "Frozen"-designs. But I hope Disney will expand their designs, since they're good with designs.
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

This by far is the best looking Moana fan art since it's official announcement:
ImageImage
http://www.deviantart.com/art/Moana-and-Maui-490495748
jazzflower92
Anniversary Edition

Post by jazzflower92 »

Even though I know Moana will not have a love interest, I think Maui will have a lot of fan girls who will drool over him.
dollover
Gold Classic Collection

Post by dollover »

Really don't like that CG fanart design. It looks like they just colored Elsa brown and made her nose and lips slightly fuller; about as generic and boring as it gets. Hope her actual design is much more striking.
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

jazzflower92 wrote:Even though I know Moana will not have a love interest, I think Maui will have a lot of fan girls who will drool over him.
Moana is 14. Kinda young for a love interest.