Moana

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
REINIER
Anniversary Edition

Post by REINIER »

I am just eager to see some results, no matter the technique, bring it out already😄enough princessy stuff! Bring in tikigods😜
When it comes to brains, I got the lion-share,
but when it comes to bruth strength, I'm afraid I'm at the shallow end of the gene pool
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

That makes me think of Brittney Lee's series of Hawaiian Gods: http://www.etsy.com/listing/52577466/se ... gallery_13

I'd love to see some stuff like that in a Disney film. Who knows, maybe she was doing early development work for this movie and was inspired to do these on the side?
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

SWillie! wrote:I'd love to see some stuff like that in a Disney film.
Don't hold your breath on that. The time Disney took artistic risks with their films is long gone. Now it's just the same designs in the same generic style over and over.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
REINIER
Anniversary Edition

Post by REINIER »

Sotiris wrote:
SWillie! wrote:I'd love to see some stuff like that in a Disney film.
Don't hold your breath on that. The time Disney took artistic risks with their films is long gone. Now it's just the same designs in the same generic style over and over.
I think so too, more commercially driven than ever before. Artistic integrity is gone. Vision, originality, risk.. They all border on "dangerous" Sad part is, I don't see a new wind blowing anytime soon. Nowadays France has much better animation output. Les Magasin des suicide, Zaarafa, The Rabbi's cat.. All original and daring story material, and if handled with better publicity we would be talking disneynumbers in revenue
but when it comes to bruth strength, I'm afraid I'm at the shallow end of the gene pool
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

You guys are right, but I think with the right film and the right people involved, we could still see some fun stuff. I mean, those designs by Brittney Lee still definitely have a mainstream vibe to them, even if they aren't totally run of the mill. I think there were some interesting designs in Ralph, even though they're still very "Disney-esque".
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

REINIER wrote:I think so too, more commercially driven than ever before.
Disney's success in the early and mid 90s gave way to more creative experimentation and risk-taking both stylistically and thematically in their follow-up films. Nowadays, Disney's output seems much more safe and calculated, designed to reach a bottom line. There seems to be more anxiety in being commercial now that ever before.

I can't imagine Disney now taking up projects as thematically ambitious as Hunchback and Pocahontas or as visually unique as Hercules, Atlantis or Lilo & Stitch.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Sotiris wrote:
Disney's success in the early and mid 90s gave way to more creative experimentation and risk-taking both stylistically and thematically in their follow-up films. Nowadays, Disney's output seems much more safe and calculated, designed to reach a bottom line. There seems to be more anxiety in being commercial now that ever before.

I can't imagine Disney now taking up projects as thematically ambitious as Hunchback and Pocahontas or as visually unique as Hercules, Atlantis or Lilo & Stitch.
Agreed. It's pretty sad.
TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Post by TsWade2 »

Sotiris wrote:

Well of course they have anxiety, because they're afraid of doing hand drawn, which is utterly pathetic! :x
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

TsWade2 wrote:Well of course they have anxiety, because they're afraid of doing hand drawn, which is utterly pathetic! :x
No, they have anxiety because throughout the last ten years only about two of their films were really big hits (Lilo and Tangled). Before management will allow them to experiment again, they have to prove that they can rake in the cash like the other studios (Pixar, Blue Sky, DreamWorks, etc.) Regardless of Wreck-It Ralph's quality (I have yet to see it) I wanted it to make big bucks at the box-office, so maybe the people at WDAS will get the greenlight to try less conventional stuff.

Oh well. At least I know the artists are doing their best, in the circumstances, to create worthwhile films.
REINIER
Anniversary Edition

Post by REINIER »

Let us find comfort in the fact that nothing lasts forever.. There will be a new renaissance period at some stage. The fact that there are still bootcamps/internships devoted to 2-d animation gives us rays of hope. I welcome any 2-d output at the moment just to cherish the medium. Ghibli at least tries to put out decent quality stuff. I just don't understand why there is not some sort of braintrust for 2d disney as there is for Pixar. This paperman technique is nice and all but it can't hold a candle to classic 2d from what I've seen. It feels contrived as if to help us get used to this tradigital new medium and help us slowly forget the 2-d that was. I just hope people like Andreas Deja, Glen Keane, Ruben Aquino & Eric Goldberg will one day restore order to a company that has al but renounced it's legacy
TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Post by TsWade2 »

REINIER wrote:Let us find comfort in the fact that nothing lasts forever.. There will be a new renaissance period at some stage. The fact that there are still bootcamps/internships devoted to 2-d animation gives us rays of hope. I welcome any 2-d output at the moment just to cherish the medium. Ghibli at least tries to put out decent quality stuff. I just don't understand why there is not some sort of braintrust for 2d disney as there is for Pixar. This paperman technique is nice and all but it can't hold a candle to classic 2d from what I've seen. It feels contrived as if to help us get used to this tradigital new medium and help us slowly forget the 2-d that was. I just hope people like Andreas Deja, Glen Keane, Ruben Aquino & Eric Goldberg will one day restore order to a company that has al but renounced it's legacy
That's true. :)
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Another nominee who joined the tour today is John Kahrs, the director of Paperman. [...] Among other notable things in the short, the audience seemed to be particularly drawn to the style, asking whether a full feature film will ever be produced in a similar black and white fashion? John does not know, comparing his current project situation to the half-floor in Being John Malkovich (more laughter from the audience). Paperman happened to be started right after Tangled and since its recent completion he cannot predict future projects, not unlike the others on the tour. The only intriguing clue he dropped was to say that his next project will in fact be a visual opposite of Paperman, full of texture, saturated colors, and lush, tropical settings.
Source: http://www.awn.com/blogs/oscar-tour-tra ... dreamworks
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

"Visual opposite..."

Huh. Well, what does that mean? :?
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Well, like the article said. Rather than being black-and-white and an industrial city landscape, it will be very colourful and in a lush, tropical environment.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
REINIER
Anniversary Edition

Post by REINIER »

HIS next project, he might also be referring to Rio2? Who's to say he's talking disney, right?
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

REINIER wrote:HIS next project, he might also be referring to Rio2? Who's to say he's talking disney, right?
Ehhh... He's already discussed how they're doing another hybrid approach. I think it's more than safe to assume he's at Disney.
REINIER
Anniversary Edition

Post by REINIER »

SWillie! wrote:
REINIER wrote:HIS next project, he might also be referring to Rio2? Who's to say he's talking disney, right?
Ehhh... He's already discussed how they're doing another hybrid approach. I think it's more than safe to assume he's at Disney.
Agreed, but an assumption nonetheless😉
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Q: Are there any other projects in the pipeline at Disney Animation which will make use the new technique?

John Kahrs: At Disney, you work on a lot of things at the same time. Let's say that at the moment I am the main bearer of this technique, and I'm trying to understand what it can lead to. We'll see what happens!
Source: http://www.movieplayer.it/film/articoli ... hrs_10553/
I know for sure that there’s at least one feature in development at Walt Disney Animation Studios that will require hand drawn animation in the way that Paperman did. The new film doesn’t quite use the same techniques as Paperman but part of the process, at least as it stands, allows – requires, even – animators to draw images rather than model them.
Source: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/03/06/ ... agerrated/
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Steve Hulett wrote:A hand-drawn animated feature is a long-form movie that looks like Snow White, Dumbo, Gulliver's Travels, 101 Dalmations, Beauty and the Beast and/or Lion King. Can we agree on that? It's called "hand drawn" because you can see the lines created by artists with pencils, ink pens, and paint brushes. Otherwise referred to as "hand drawn."

With me so far? Good.

Ron Clements and John Musker are developing a feature at Walt Disney Animation Studios, and it has "elements" of hand-drawn animation in it. (That's about all I'm going to say.) Does it look like any of the features named above?

Don't think so. Doesn't even look like Paperman.

So you can say: "Yes! A hand-drawn animated feature!" and be technically ... sort of ... right.

But if somebody goes into a theater thinking they'll see a Disney animated feature in the "Nine Old Men" style, they'll be disappointed. Because it will bear more resemblance to one of the new CG features we've come to know and love.
Source: http://animationguildblog.blogspot.com/ ... drawn.html
Q: What about Ron & John's movie? Is it progressing?

Anonymous: Ron and John's new CG feature is progressing nicely.

Steve Hulett: There you go...
Source: http://animationguildblog.blogspot.com/ ... oughs.html

It won't even look like Paperman? Great. :roll:
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

... Shit. :(