Moana

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

DisneyJedi wrote:I'm just making sure, but will this use the same technique as Paperman?
Yes, it's the same technique but reportedly they want to advance it even more.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
tweeb²
Limited Issue

Post by tweeb² »

I love the passion in your comments SWillie! I aslo think that Disney Duster is, perhaps thinking about this new software in the wrong way. I'm sure you all remember the old CAPS system developed by Pixar in the 90s?

Well, I think this is the same thing happening all over again, and just as the CAPS system could be used to make an effect that looked a big improvement over the multiplane camera, this new software will make the movies cheaper with the computers taking over MOST of the inbetweening process. Yeah DD, I said "most of the in betweening" because the artist WILL have to make the final decision to adjust the drawing to look perfect, not the computer, wich is faster than anyone but otherwise a dumb machine.

Again, remember, this is a TOOL for artist to CREATE new things with the medium of animation, a means to an end, not the end in itself.

Also I will post a video about Pixar, its weird that most of the people think they are just a bunch of geeky guys who love technology and kick aside everything else, when in this video they ooze love for animation are quite supportive about traditional animation, Catmull and Alvy as much as everyone, and encourage to think about computers as a tool, not a substitute, for human beings. Weird anyway, that it is precisely on the Computer History Museum that they almost look like they dismiss the computer.

the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjSExqtiIyg
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Q: Is Ron & John's pic progressing?

Steve Hulett: Ron and John's pic is (I assume) progressing. Did not see them, did not ask.
Source: http://animationguildblog.blogspot.com/ ... ailer.html
Steve Hulett wrote:Ron Clements and John Musker are developing a hand-drawn feature that, if what I've been shown holds up, will look one hell of a lot different from Show White.
Steve Hulett wrote:From what I heard Thursday, I seriously doubt [hand-drawn features] will be coming back in any recognizable form. (They'll be disguised as CGI.)
Q: I don't understand one thing: Is Ron & John's Polynesian movie, a CGI movie? Or it will have the Paperman style? Is it a movie based on a book, or folktales or is it an original story?

Steve Hulett: I've seen test footage. Won't look like a traditional hand-drawn feature. Not sure if it's original or an adaptation. I think original, but could be wrong.
Source: http://animationguildblog.blogspot.com/ ... isney.html
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

I like the fact that the new Ron 'n John movie will be hugely unlike Snow White. Even if the Paperman technique is not used in this film, it's encouraging to hear that the artists are trying to craft something that looks different to what we're used to.

The Paperman technique would rock if used on the Big Hero 6 feature though.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

I don't know if I like where this is going, being disguised as CGI. Could someone elaborate please? Because I'm starting to get worried about hand-drawn as a medium. :(
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

DisneyJedi wrote:I don't know if I like where this is going, being disguised as CGI. Could someone elaborate please? Because I'm starting to get worried about hand-drawn as a medium. :(
I think that's been made plainly obvious by now. They're experimenting with techniques, most likely a continuation of the experimentation that happened with Paperman.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

But aren't they using the Paperman technique? I want to know for sure they're not calling it quits with 2D.
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

DisneyJedi wrote:But aren't they using the Paperman technique? I want to know for sure they're not calling it quits with 2D.
They are experimenting to further refine the technique. Obviously no one knows for sure yet.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

DisneyJedi wrote:But aren't they using the Paperman technique? I want to know for sure they're not calling it quits with 2D.
Rest assured you're not the only one who wants that. :P However, you can bet grandma's hearing aid they won't elaborate on whether hand-drawn is dead or not ... in a long time.

Also, keep in mind that if the Paperman technique is used on the Ron 'n John picture, it may be quite a bit different in 2015 (?) to what it looks like now.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Steve Hulett wrote:While I was running around, a veteran staffer told me a about projects in various stages of work.

"There's Big Hero Six and Frozen going into production, and then three projects after that. One of them Ron and John's feature, and two more. Nobody knows what order they'll be in, John Lasseter hasn't decided. But we've got more features in development. Three or four more beyond those three ..."
Anonymous wrote:Not sure what Ron and John's film is, I did see a test they did last year that combined hand drawn and CG and no, it was not Paperman. It was a tiki guy and it was awesome but again it was only a test so who knows what they have up their sleeves at Disney but good things seem to be happening.
Anonymous wrote:I only saw the test loop like 3 times and I liked what I saw. I believe it was more of a proof of concept but nonetheless it was cool and it very much took 2D in a new direction. That is really all I know of it. Disney like other studios do proof of concepts but it does not mean it will be a film or not. It is just nice to know that Ron and John are still doing something 2D but hey, that could change as all things do.

Source: http://animationguildblog.blogspot.com/ ... o-hat.html

Sotiris wrote:How about the rest of the films in development like Big Hero 6 or Ron & John's flick? Are they coming along?
Steve Hulett wrote:Big Hero 6 is well in work. Don't know about R & J's feature.
Source: http://animationguildblog.blogspot.com/ ... e-hat.html
Last edited by Sotiris on Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
qindarka
Special Edition

Post by qindarka »

Kenneth Elliott said...
I lost interest in the Ron & John project after finding out that it isn't traditional animation or even Paperman style.

Of course, we may see the Paperman style down the line, and we may even get another classic Disney fairy tale, but knowing Lasseter's recent decisions, I wouldn't be surprised if these "other two" projects are simply CG cash grabs of Iron Man and Avengers: totally, completely, uninspiring.

I wonder if she does have inside information or is just speculating.
Lnds500
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lnds500 »

qindarka wrote:Kenneth Elliott said...
I lost interest in the Ron & John project after finding out that it isn't traditional animation or even Paperman style.

Of course, we may see the Paperman style down the line, and we may even get another classic Disney fairy tale, but knowing Lasseter's recent decisions, I wouldn't be surprised if these "other two" projects are simply CG cash grabs of Iron Man and Avengers: totally, completely, uninspiring.

Source?
but knowing Lasseter's recent decisions
what does this mean?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

qindarka wrote:I wonder if she does have inside information or is just speculating.
It seemed to me that those were only speculations by a fan and nothing more.
qindarka
Special Edition

Post by qindarka »

Lnds500 wrote:
qindarka wrote:Kenneth Elliott said...

Source?
but knowing Lasseter's recent decisions
what does this mean?
Got it from the comments section from an article in the TAG blog. May or may not be someone with connections to the studio.

That last bit probably refers to Lasseter not approving any hand-drawn animated movies in the immediate future which is perceived as selling out.
Sotiris wrote:
qindarka wrote:I wonder if she does have inside information or is just speculating.
It seemed to me that those were only speculations by a fan and nothing more.
Seems strange then that she would assert it so confidently. And I've grown accustomed, rightly or not, to believing that some of the posts in the comments come from people with knowledge. Then again, there were other posts contradicting her.
Lnds500
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lnds500 »

I agree with Sotiris, it seems pretty random and not factual.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

qindarka wrote:Seems strange then that she would assert it so confidently.
How do you know it's a girl? Kenneth is predominantly a boy's name.
qindarka wrote:And I've grown accustomed, rightly or not, to believing that some of the posts in the comments come from people with knowledge.
Yes, some comments are from people in the know. I don't think this one is one of them though.
qindarka wrote:Then again, there were other posts contradicting her.
Two things indicate that this person is just a fan. They mention they heard that Ron and John's film is not going to be 2D nor in the Paperman style. They got this from one of Steve Hulett's recent posts.

Also they mention that the two other projects are CG cash grabs of Iron Man and the Avengers. Disney would never make CG features out of these characters. That's the job of Marvel Animation Studios.
Last edited by Sotiris on Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
qindarka
Special Edition

Post by qindarka »

Sotiris wrote:
How do you know it's a girl? Kenneth is predominantly a boy's name.
Ah, that was stupid. Was probably mixed up after I named one of my female sims in Sims 2 Kenneth for whatever reason.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Q: And yet there’s no traditionally animated film in the pipeline. It’s sad.

Renato Dos Anjos: Well, actually… I’m not going to tell you what but there’s actually something happening right now. But as a studio, we really leave the decision up to the filmmakers. It’s really up to the directors. If that’s story they want to tell and the medium they want to use, then it’s really up to them. We want to support that.

Q: And now there’s a third way. John Kahrs has brought us a new way with Paperman.

Renato Dos Anjos: Yeah, it’s amazing. The first time I saw it was a few weeks ago at our wrap party. I was amazed by it. I couldn't believe how it looked. I played around with the meander system a little bit just to see how it worked because early on Rich [Moore] and I were exploring lots of different looks [for Wreck-It Ralph] and different ideas for some of the [film’s videogame] worlds. This was before Paperman.

We have this really great program at the studio whenever there is downtime, we encourage artists to try different mediums and different things. We call them ‘Spark Projects.’ Anybody in the building can come up with an idea and pitch it to a small group and if they find it interesting, we give them resources to accomplish that idea.

This animator, Patrick Osborne, was working on a project called 'Pet' about a kid who finds this little alien pet thing. That was the first time we saw anything like Paperman where there was this integration of something that looked very different to your regular CG thing. That was more about flat colors. After that, Patrick did another test for one of the feature films that we’re planning on doing. That is a lot more like Paperman, with a little stronger design sense, in that it is rougher drawings, it isn't as clean as Paperman. And then he went and helped John Kahrs make Paperman.
Source: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/11/13/ ... animation/
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Sotiris wrote:
But as a studio, we really leave the decision up to the filmmakers. It’s really up to the directors. If that’s story they want to tell and the medium they want to use, then it’s really up to them. We want to support that.
Huge :roll:

Regardless, maybe Paperman's good reception re-opens the door to allowing 2D be an option again. It's not pure 2D, but beggars can't be choosers, I guess? :wink:

EDIT: Just realized there'd already been an explosion about this elsewhere. :lol: Sorry about that.
Last edited by Disney's Divinity on Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyAnimation88 »

Out of curiosity, when Renato says: "Well, actually… I’m not going to tell you what but there’s actually something happening right now", is he referring to the Musker/Clements film or hinting ar something we haven't yet heard about? It didn't seem very clear to me when I read the interview so I'm just wondering what others think.
We're not going to Guam, are we?