Moana

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Disney's Divinity wrote:EDIT: Just realized there'd already been an explosion about this elsewhere. :lol:
:lol:
DisneyAnimation88 wrote:Out of curiosity, when Renato says: "Well, actually… I’m not going to tell you what but there’s actually something happening right now", is he referring to the Musker/Clements film or hinting ar something we haven't yet heard about? It didn't seem very clear to me when I read the interview so I'm just wondering what others think.
I think he was referring to the Clements & Musker's film. Hopefully, SWillie! won't bite my head off again by saying this. :P

Here's why. Hand-drawn animators were complaining about the lack of 2D features in development on October 10 according to this. The interview in question was posted on November 13. I don't think that they would put a new project in development in just a month's time and especially not a hand-drawn one. Also, I don't think it's another feature utilizing the Paperman technique because knowing Disney they would want to wait and see whether this technique proves to be financially successful before committing to another similar feature.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyAnimation88 »

That makes sense, I thought he was referring to the Clements/Musker film at first. I'd like to think he knows something hand-drawn related that we haven't yet heard about but we'll just have to wait and see what comes of this.
We're not going to Guam, are we?
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

On the TAG Blog Sotiris asked Steve Hulett which film comes next after Frozen, Big Hero 6 or Ron & John's film? Steve replied:

They're both in development. Which of them follows "Frozen," I donno. But I have my suspicions.

Once again, Disney can't decide what film it wants to do in 2014! We have NO info at all regarding R/J's film, besides it being set in polynesia right?
We don't know if the characters are human or animal, what style animation, or what the film will be about!

Regarding Big Hero 6, we know the basic concept of that via Marvel comics & the 2008 mini series. Big Hero 6 may be an inferior Marvel property, but it's still Marvel, & that's the hot ticket now! Plus I like the premise: Japanese super-heros protecting Japan.

What film would all of you want to see in 2014?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

DisneyEra wrote:We have NO info at all regarding R/J's film, besides it being set in Polynesia, right?
We don't even know that for sure. We only know that the production team took a research trip to the South Pacific. We assume it's going to be set there based on that.

We also know it's probably going to be an original story and not an adaptation and that the proof of concept for this film involved a Tiki guy. And that the film will make use of the 'Paperman' technique. That's it.
Last edited by Sotiris on Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

Sotiris wrote:
DisneyEra wrote:We have NO info at all regarding R/J's film, besides it being set in Polynesia, right?
We don't even know that for sure. We only know that the production team took a research trip to the South Pacific. We assume is going to be set there based on that.

We also know it's probably going to be an original story and not an adaptation and that the proof of concept for this film involved a Tiki guy. And that the film will make use of the 'Paperman' technique. That's it.
That sounds great! But will Disney have this film done in time for a Nov. 2014 release? If the "Paperman" technique is used for this film, won't that take more time instead of regular CGI? I assume Big Hero 6 was gonna be just the standard CGI from from Disney. R/J's film sounds like it will take more time to complete than 2 years.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Q: What upcoming projects do you have going on?

John Kahrs: Well, I have this test that I’m doing that’s the next generation of the software that we used to make Paperman. It was really John [Lasseter] seeing what we did with Paperman and thinking, “Okay, what about this? Can you do a full color, organic environment with trees and foliage? Do a test that pushes it visually in another direction and let’s see what we can do with this technology.” So, it’s not necessarily saying, “We have a feature in development with this,” it’s more saying, “Let’s take the next step to get towards that.” I think it’s a really watchable technique. It draws me in, as a viewer, and it doesn't distract me. For John, it’s a big deal that it won’t be a distraction and that it draws you into the storytelling. That’s what I’m working on, right now. It’s a 90-second test that’s an in between project for me. And there are movies in various states, coming through development into production. We’ll see.
Source: http://collider.com/john-kahrs-paperman ... ew/206840/
Last edited by Sotiris on Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Well, it's good news that at least Lasseter is supporting the project. Maybe if it doesn't get approved for an entire feature, it may still be used for a particular sequence within said feature.
TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Post by TsWade2 »

Jules wrote:Well, it's good news that at least Lasseter is supporting the project. Maybe if it doesn't get approved for an entire feature, it may still be used for a particular sequence within said feature.
Agreed! :)
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

For John, it’s a big deal that it won’t be a distraction and that it draws you into the storytelling.
This might be cause for concern. It was for the same reason Lasseter axed the Frangonard/painterly style in Tangled; he claimed it was too distracting. Hopefully, this new technique won't suffer the same fate.
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyAnimation88 »

Going on what I've seen of Paperman (and I haven't been able to watch the entire short just yet, only bits and pieces), I personally didn't find this new technique to be distracting. I was aware of it because of the hype that has surrounded Paperman and it's something I've been curious to see but I didn't find that the style of the short distracts from the substance. Maybe John Lasseter, and perhaps others here, feel differently but I found the style to have a distinctive look but one that didn't distract from what was happening on-screen. Hopefully once the technique is developed further any concerns that anyone has about it can be ironed out and resolved and it will eventually be used in a feature; I would hate to see it abandoned because I think it has a lot of promise and offers hand-drawn animation a future at the studio.
We're not going to Guam, are we?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Paperman was created with Meander, new in-house software programmed by Brian Whited. Meander is not currently being put to use on another Disney project, but Whited is developing a new piece of software related to animating hair. Kahrs is delving into another form of hybrid animation that takes place in a “lush, colorful, organic environment,” he said. “Basically the visual opposite of Paperman.”
Source: http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/02/13/o ... -shorts/6/
TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Post by TsWade2 »

Sotiris wrote:
Paperman was created with Meander, new in-house software programmed by Brian Whited. Meander is not currently being put to use on another Disney project, but Whited is developing a new piece of software related to animating hair. Kahrs is delving into another form of hybrid animation that takes place in a “lush, colorful, organic environment,” he said. “Basically the visual opposite of Paperman.”
http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/02/13/o ... -shorts/6/
So this animation will be different than Paperman?
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Uh... okay. Sooo... nothing?
Sky Syndrome
Anniversary Edition

Post by Sky Syndrome »

Sotiris wrote:
http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/02/13/o ... -shorts/6/
I get an image in my mind of the orange grove in the Simply Orange juice commercials reading the "lush, colorful, organic environment" part.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

TsWade2 wrote:
So this animation will be different than Paperman?

Yeah, what could that possibly mean? If Paperman is 3D trying to look hand drawn, does that mean the opposite is hand drawn trying to look 3D?
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

The way I understand this is that they are simply using a new, improved program to achieve the same hybrid effect in color. Just because they aren't using "Meander" doesn't mean they aren't still going for the same effect. I think when Kahrs says "the opposite of Paperman", he's saying that in the sense that Paperman is hard edges, city, black and white, while this is organic, colorful.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

SWillie! wrote:The way I understand this is that they are simply using a new, improved program to achieve the same hybrid effect in color. Just because they aren't using "Meander" doesn't mean they aren't still going for the same effect. I think when Kahrs says "the opposite of Paperman", he's saying that in the sense that Paperman is hard edges, city, black and white, while this is organic, colorful.
Agreed. I think they're taking it to the next level by starting from scratch.
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

Yeah, I don't think that opposite comment was in reference to the animation technique.
TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Post by TsWade2 »

SWillie! wrote:The way I understand this is that they are simply using a new, improved program to achieve the same hybrid effect in color. Just because they aren't using "Meander" doesn't mean they aren't still going for the same effect. I think when Kahrs says "the opposite of Paperman", he's saying that in the sense that Paperman is hard edges, city, black and white, while this is organic, colorful.
I see. Okay. :)
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

So... Is it supposed to be the Paperman technique, turned up to eleven so to speak?