Big Hero 6

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

:(

This is wrong. Walt Disney made his company come up with original takes on stories that were not owned by other companies. This is just so wrong, so un-Disney.

inb4 Chris says anything, don't bother, I'm just saying what I feel is right and hoping others see that, of course you think I'm wrong, of course you think it's stupid, but I already know you'll think that, don't bother.
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

Sotiris wrote:Doesn't Fox own the theatrical film rights to Silver Samurai and Sunfire through the X-Men universe? I suppose they'll use the new version of Big Hero 6 that doesn't included them.
Silver Samurai is going to be in The Wolverine, being done by Fox, so they're most likely going to have to write him out of this.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I don't see it as a bad thing to want more fairy tales from Disney, considering the majority of their best and/or well-known films are fairy tales. Besides, fairy tales are hot right now, and they may not be 5 to 10 years from now.

I don't really know anything about these characters, so I can't say if I'm excited or not. The idea of Disney making a superhero film is bizarre though.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
jazzflower92
Anniversary Edition

Post by jazzflower92 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I don't see it as a bad thing to want more fairy tales from Disney, considering the majority of their best and/or well-known films are fairy tales. Besides, fairy tales are hot right now, and they may not be 5 to 10 years from now.

I don't really know anything about these characters, so I can't say if I'm excited or not. The idea of Disney making a superhero film is bizarre though.
Disney sometimes needs to get out the fairy tale stuff once in a while.Then when people complain they go back to doing it again then people complain again that they don't do anything orginal.Its a cycle that has been happening since Mr.Disney himself was alive. :lol:

With Don Hall making it I have hopes it will be good.And I have hope this movie will be popular in Japan since Japan is always a sucker for Disney movies as the USA.
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyAnimation88 »

Sotiris wrote:Doesn't Fox own the theatrical film rights to Silver Samurai and Sunfire through the X-Men universe? I suppose they'll use the new version of Big Hero 6 that doesn't included them.
Yeah, I'd read somewhere on the internet that those characters would have to be replaced.

After reading up on the story and characters, personally I would be very surprised if the WDAS film bears any kind of close resemblance to the comic.
We're not going to Guam, are we?
DisneyDude2010
Special Edition

Post by DisneyDude2010 »

DisneyAnimation88 wrote: After reading up on the story and characters, personally I would be very surprised if the WDAS film bears any kind of close resemblance to the comic.
I totally agree with you here. I can see the characters having further development and I would be surprised if the characters did remain Japanese...
All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

DisneyAnimation88 wrote:Yeah, I'd read somewhere on the internet that those characters would have to be replaced.

After reading up on the story and characters, personally I would be very surprised if the WDAS film bears any kind of close resemblance to the comic.
Which then begs the question: why do it at all?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

DisneyDude2010 wrote:I totally agree with you here. I can see the characters having further development and I would be surprised if the characters did remain Japanese.
Personally, I'd prefer if they remained Japanese. It would be far more interesting and original that yet another generic Western setting.
DisneyAnimation88 wrote:After reading up on the story and characters, personally I would be very surprised if the WDAS film bears any kind of close resemblance to the comic.
Yeah, it will probably be very different and definitively toned down and it seems it will be more similar to the new series than the older ones.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

Mooky wrote:Which then begs the question: why do it at all?
I might be completely wrong in saying that but that is an impression I've gotten, especially since Blue Sky Disney described the WDAS project as "Don Hall's take". Looking at Hall's past writing credits, I think his films are some of the more comedic that WDAS have created but there is always an underlying moral that comes through by the end of the story. I wouldn't be surprised if the setting was changed along with the characters being rewritten, but again I might be completely wrong in saying that. But the comic doesn't exactly scream out "Disney adaptation" so I would be surprised if Hall's take hasn't made some significant changes from the source material for it to satisfy John Lasseter enough to be greenlit for further development.
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

I have no doubt it will have some charm and find its audience, I'm just finding it weird when studios (in general, not just Disney) set out to make an adaptation out of something (book, comics, toys), they strip it off of everything that made it 'tick' and resonate with its original fans, and end up with something sterile and bland, that bears no resemblance to the source material or is related to the said source material in name only. Just reading about BH6 on Marvel.com makes it obvious this will have to be severely toned down to work as a Disney film and they're already several team members short due to them being licensed to Fox (unless this is some loophole Disney is testing; maybe Marvel/Fox contract covers only live-action big screen outings?), which will probably get Marvel die-hard fans pretty pissed off. That's why I say why bother at all, why not just create something 'original', an original Disney superhero team where you don't have to worry about rules and legions of fanboys? Or why doesn't Marvel just make a TV show out of it?

Besides, I was under impression and hoped that even though Disney now owns Marvel, their properties would remain separate. It's nice to have all these characters under the same roof, but this is just a little too close to my comfort zone. I don't want a Disneyized Marvel and I don't want a Marvelized Disney. So, I'm actually with Disney Duster on this one (:|), even though his logic is a bit flawed:
Disney Duster wrote:Walt Disney made his company come up with original takes on stories that were not owned by other companies.
Disney didn't come up with Bambi, Tarzan, Winnie the Pooh, Meet the Robinsons, etc. - they acquired film rights to all of these stories.
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

Mooky wrote:and they're already several team members short due to them being licensed to Fox (unless this is some loophole Disney is testing; maybe Marvel/Fox contract covers only live-action big screen outings?)
Again, I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure that there isn't a loophole. From what I've read, if any of these characters are linked to X-Men, they can't be included.
Mooky wrote:That's why I say why bother at all, why not just create something 'original', an original Disney superhero team where you don't have to worry about rules and legions of fanboys?
Good question.
Mooky wrote:It's nice to have all these characters under the same roof, but this is just a little too close to my comfort zone. I don't want a Disneyized Marvel and I don't want a Marvelized Disney.
I agree. For me, the saving grace of this particular film is that it seems to be so obscure that Disney can make significant changes without upsetting a rabid Marvel fanbase. But a film like this is always going to polarize people and it's inevitable that some aren't going to be happy with it.
RyGuy
Special Edition

Post by RyGuy »

Mooky wrote: Disney didn't come up with Bambi, Tarzan, Winnie the Pooh, Meet the Robinsons, etc. - they acquired film rights to all of these stories.
You can add Mary Poppins to that list.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

RyGuy wrote:
Mooky wrote: Disney didn't come up with Bambi, Tarzan, Winnie the Pooh, Meet the Robinsons, etc. - they acquired film rights to all of these stories.
You can add Mary Poppins to that list.
The Fox and the Hound and One Hundred and One Dalmatians.

And I'm sure there are more.
DisneyDude2010
Special Edition

Post by DisneyDude2010 »

PatrickvD wrote:
RyGuy wrote: You can add Mary Poppins to that list.

The Jungle Book :wink:
All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Mooky wrote:That's why I say why bother at all, why not just create something 'original', an original Disney superhero team where you don't have to worry about rules and legions of fanboys?
I think that's why they chose Big Hero 6. They can have the best of both worlds. It's based on a Marvel property which will help to market the film and attract the male demographic but it's also very obscure so there aren't any hardcore fans who will be pissed off with possible changes. When the news broke the overwhelming response online was that they never heard of Big Hero 6.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

If WDAS make this film, do you guys think it could be their first PG-13 feature?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Jules wrote:If WDAS makes this film, do you guys think it could be their first PG-13 feature?
Nah, it will probably be PG.
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

PatrickvD wrote:
RyGuy wrote: You can add Mary Poppins to that list.

That would be basically every Disney animated feature prior to 2000. :lol:

I'll post my thoughts on the news sometime tomorrow, but I will mention now that my feelings are somewhat mixed.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Sotiris wrote:
Jules wrote:If WDAS makes this film, do you guys think it could be their first PG-13 feature?
Nah, it will probably be PG.
Rats. :evil:

Wish they'd make an adults only gore and sex fest.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Personally, I'd like to see something more mature like an animated drama. Everyone's complaining about how animation is not treated equally to live-action but how can it since all animation produced in Hollywood is limited to family entertainment? How can you take real storytelling risks when you are restricted by the family-friendly label?

Why can't Hollywood be more like Japan and truly treat animation as a medium to tell stories of all different sorts of genres? Hollywood animation is in desperate need of some diversity.
Last edited by Sotiris on Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.