DISNEY GENERATIONS DVD: NEW LINE

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

Chernabog wrote:
milojthatch wrote: And it is in widescreen?
Yes, it´s widescreen 2:35:1
That may be the best news I have heard about the Generations Collection yet! So, they can release films in their original widescreen after all? That is VERY cool! Thanks!
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
Chernabog
Special Edition

Post by Chernabog »

disneyfella wrote:No no....keep watching the Trenchcoat disc. After the opening titles it zooms in to a full frame. I think it used the remastered print that was done in the 1990s. It aired on Starz that way, too. Still no real widescreen print available :(

I will have to pick up the Endurance disc, though. Hopefully it is widescreen throughout the whole feature!
:oops:
Can´t believe that I was so fooled and hasty before I left that comment!
Yes it´s true, TRENCHCOAT IS Fullscreen (just the credits in the beginning are in Widescreen).
I´m not usually so easy fooled, but I guess that I wanted it too much to be in the correct aspect ratio (because I think we will NEVER see another release of this film), and that made me do a hasty conclusion when I just started to watch the film and then stopped it. Sorry!

But still, HURRAH for ENDURANCE though, that is in Widescreen.
Last edited by Chernabog on Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bugsplat9999
Limited Issue

Post by bugsplat9999 »

Looks like Endurance on DGC is 2:39:1. It appears to be all the way through the film.

Don't believe it is 1:85:1

Chris
gardener14
Special Edition

Post by gardener14 »

With the upcoming release of two more Exclusive titles through the Disney Movie Club and several recent titles added to the Disney Generations Collection, I wonder how Disney decides which titles to make as DVR's and which titles to make as manufactured discs. I can't find any rhyme or reason or see any trend for the future. Obviously, I prefer the Exclusives line because they are pressed discs, but I also wonder which method attracts the most attention of the buying audience.

Despite the limited clientelle of the Disney Movie Club compared with the overall buying public, I have to believe that DMC gets to the target fan base moreso than unmarketed titles on Amazon that go unnoticed except for on a fan site such as this.
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

gardener14 wrote:With the upcoming release of two more Exclusive titles through the Disney Movie Club and several recent titles added to the Disney Generations Collection, I wonder how Disney decides which titles to make as DVR's and which titles to make as manufactured discs. I can't find any rhyme or reason or see any trend for the future. Obviously, I prefer the Exclusives line because they are pressed discs, but I also wonder which method attracts the most attention of the buying audience.

Despite the limited clientelle of the Disney Movie Club compared with the overall buying public, I have to believe that DMC gets to the target fan base moreso than unmarketed titles on Amazon that go unnoticed except for on a fan site such as this.
Please make note I don't even fully know all the details, but near as I can figure, there are different mini divisions within Disney Home Entertainment, and each one is over seen by different levels of leadership that ultimately lead to Robert Chapek at the top. I'm not sure how active Mr. Chapek is in deciding what titles get released and how, but some level of leadership ultimately makes many of the final decisions for all of this.

From what I can tell, employees on the lower end of this pyramid come up with a lot of the initial ideas about what should be released, and do the work to look into what issue may snag release (such as music rights), the various department have meetings to discuss titles being released and how current released titles have been doing, and then the department bosses make their judgment calls.

Now, there is still a lot of the details I don't have, and Disney Home Entertainment is really good at keeping it that way, but hopefully what I have written down will help somewhat.
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

Got Ben and Me today, I can confirm it is a new NTSC master and not a PAL master. :D
gardener14
Special Edition

Post by gardener14 »

Thanks milojthatch for addressing my thoughts and sharing what you know, and thank you for all that you've done to help these releases along. I'm so happy to be able to see all these lost gems and obscure titles again or for the first time. What you've been doing to be a voice for the fans or coordinate our voices collectively is appreciated. I sense that Disney is listening.
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

gardener14 wrote:What you've been doing to be a voice for the fans or coordinate our voices collectively is appreciated. I sense that Disney is listening.
I can only hope so...

-Walt Disney
Papa Bear
Gold Classic Collection

Justin Morgan Had a Horse is only $15.99 right now on amazon

Post by Papa Bear »

Justin Morgan Had a Horse is only $15.99 right now on amazon, hurry because who knows when it will change again.

http://www.amazon.com/Justin-Morgan-Had ... EV7KJWR272
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Re: Justin Morgan Had a Horse is only $15.99 right now on am

Post by milojthatch »

Papa Bear wrote:Justin Morgan Had a Horse is only $15.99 right now on amazon, hurry because who knows when it will change again.

http://www.amazon.com/Justin-Morgan-Had ... EV7KJWR272
It is the second GC title I have seen drop to that price. It's good news. For anyone who may miss out but wanted it at that price, my unless is if you wait, it will dorp to that price again. "Child of Glass" has.

-Walt Disney
Papa Bear
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Papa Bear »

Also get al the ones you want in your cart and check the gold box deals each day as they seem to throw the titles in there quite often under the personal deals Justin Morgan was in mine today discounted down to $15.09.
Chernabog
Special Edition

Post by Chernabog »

Just watched JUSTIN MORGAN HAD A HORSE and couldn´t stop smiling: Isn´t that Mary Poppins carpet bag Mr. Morgan pack his things in? :lol:
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Site-N ... Page/16980

"TV-on-DVD titles from Amazon's CreateSpace MOD (manufacture on demand) program have been around a long time now, but these titles have always been found by customers in and amongst Amazon's traditionally-produced DVD offerings. Now Amazon and CreateSpace have teamed up to create a new section on the big e-tailer's website, which they are calling the "Never Before on DVD" Store. Per today's press release, it "(f)eatures thousands of classic movies and TV shows from Disney, MGM, Sony, Twentieth Century Fox, Warner and more." Here are some excerpts taken from that press release:
Amazon.com today announced the launch of the Never Before on DVD store, accessible from Amazon's "Movies and TV" homepage, where fans can easily browse and locate more than 2,000 titles available on DVD for the first time via Amazon's CreateSpace DVD on Demand service. The store will expand Amazon's current selection of titles with additional classics from the vaults of Disney, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment, Warner Bros. Home Entertainment and Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment - who in addition to offering more MGM content will also introduce titles from its library.

The Never Before on DVD store also features more current content from other studios and networks including CBS Networks, Lionsgate Home Entertainment, MTV Networks, Nickelodeon and Universal Studios Home Entertainment..."The Never Before on DVD store is a great place for fans to discover thousands of films and television series they've been waiting for on DVD," said Brad Beale, director of digital video content acquisition for Amazon...We will continue working to bring our customers even more great video content on DVD..."

...All of the titles in the Never Before on DVD store are available through Amazon's CreateSpace DVD on Demand service, the perfect way for networks and studios to quickly and efficiently bring their current content and catalog titles to DVD. Releases are always available to fans and never go out-of-stock because they are manufactured only in response to customer demand.
The biggest news mentioned in the above-quoted passages would be that for the first time CreateSpace will deliver MOD content from Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment, and from Fox Home Entertainment's library of properties as well. The initial titles are theatrical films, not TV shows, but this does open up the door for possible television shows on MOD in the future from those two studios! It's an exciting prospect, as both of them - as well as all the other named studios - own the rights to a lot of classic television which would have a difficult time making it onto store shelves, as the various big-name retail chains have been pushing back on carrying less-popular retro-TV releases for a couple of years now. So this will be an excellent way for passionate fans of those programs to still be able get their hands on DVDs of their favorite old TV shows.

Note that there were no new street dates provided today for TV-DVD titles at the new CreateSpace "Never Before on DVD" Store; the only new or upcoming releases with a ship date scheduled were for motion picture titles. However, we're aware of (and have already reported to you about!) upcoming CreateSpace MOD releases of seven TV-on-DVD titles up for pre-order, which we presume will be added to the new CreateSpace page just as soon as dates are finalized for each one. Stay tuned and we'll report on these, and other new TV-on-MOD titles, just as soon as we have anything more to pass along!"
Chernabog
Special Edition

Post by Chernabog »

Well I must say that I don´t think that is much easier to find them.
Search on Disney on that page and not even all of the "Generations" that already exist shows up.
Must we search through more than 1,500 titles to find the few Disney ones :lol:

Well I found three new "Generations" at least:

Barry, of the Great St. Bernard
Cristobalito, the Calypso Colt
The Boy Who Stole the Elephant

Such obscure titles - I wish they could give us what so many asks for :roll:
gardener14
Special Edition

Post by gardener14 »

Endurance is the only title in the Disney Generations Collection that I can't place. Could someone please explain to where it first appeared (I gather it was released in theaters). Was it an Imax film, did it appear in art houses, or was it in mainstream cinemas? How it is connected to the Disney brand. Is it a film produced by Walt Disney Pictures? I can find lots of reviews of the movie, but little information about it being a Disney title.

How would you place Endurance in a dvd collection, ie. Disney feature film, Wonderful World of Disney title, an outside production distributed by Disney, etc.)?[/i][/u]
Mouseketodd
Gold Classic Collection

Disney Generations

Post by Mouseketodd »

Mickeyfan1990 wrote:http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Site-N ... Page/16980

"TV-on-DVD titles from Amazon's CreateSpace MOD (manufacture on demand) program have been around a long time now, but these titles have always been found by customers in and amongst Amazon's traditionally-produced DVD offerings. Now Amazon and CreateSpace have teamed up to create a new section on the big e-tailer's website, which they are calling the "Never Before on DVD" Store. Per today's press release, it "(f)eatures thousands of classic movies and TV shows from Disney, MGM, Sony, Twentieth Century Fox, Warner and more." Here are some excerpts taken from that press release:
Amazon.com today announced the launch of the Never Before on DVD store, accessible from Amazon's "Movies and TV" homepage, where fans can easily browse and locate more than 2,000 titles available on DVD for the first time via Amazon's CreateSpace DVD on Demand service. The store will expand Amazon's current selection of titles with additional classics from the vaults of Disney, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment, Warner Bros. Home Entertainment and Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment - who in addition to offering more MGM content will also introduce titles from its library....
Well, I think I'm excited about this -- this may be the only way we'll get some stuff, but I also think it could be a lazy route by movie/TV studios, at the same time.
My handmade paperweights, including Disney subjects -- some contain viewable movie cells!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/tmhofherr
Currently listed: Ludwig Von Drake, Annette, Zorro, Star Wars, the Wicked Witch, Classic Tron, and more!
disneyfella
Anniversary Edition

Post by disneyfella »

I didn't see that anyone posted this yet, but those three new Generations titles came out this past week. You can now add

Barry, of the Great St. Bernard
Cristobalito, the Calypso Colt
The Boy Who Stole the Elephant

to your DVD collection :)
"It's Kind Of Fun To Do The Impossible"
- Walt Disney

Mouseketodd
Gold Classic Collection

Disney Generations DVDs

Post by Mouseketodd »

Thanks for telling us. I personally am interested in "The Boy Who Stole the Elephant."
My handmade paperweights, including Disney subjects -- some contain viewable movie cells!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/tmhofherr
Currently listed: Ludwig Von Drake, Annette, Zorro, Star Wars, the Wicked Witch, Classic Tron, and more!
Chernabog
Special Edition

Post by Chernabog »

Must really recommended the film Barry, of the Great St. Bernard.
It´s is one of the best TV-movies from Disney I have seen and are in a class like the late 50´s and early 60´s Disney films.
The theme of the film is much more serious and "grownup" than many other likeminded projects.
A pity that they didn´t put this one out as a feature film instead.
The film is much better than many of the "silly" stuff the studio premiered in cinemas during the 70´s (when this was made).
Go for this one (and its down on 17.99 at Amazon right now) :)