DISNEY GENERATIONS DVD: NEW LINE

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
gardener14
Special Edition

Post by gardener14 »

Luke wrote:
gardener14 wrote:Also, how would one know if future titles are released, other than finding a post here from someone else who already found out somehow?
I'd recommend visiting this site regularly: http://www.dvdizzy.com/
Well, yes, of course...I do that daily. What I meant, as someone else already answered, is can one find these titles on their own. Whoever posts it here first must find it somehow, right? Disney should have a list somewhere so it's not just a chance search for an obscure titles that brings up a new release. Thank you to the previous post that pointed out Disney's own dvd website of new releases. That seems like the official word on the matter. But, yes Luke, I check in here daily too.
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

gardener14 wrote:
Luke wrote: I'd recommend visiting this site regularly: http://www.dvdizzy.com/
Well, yes, of course...I do that daily. What I meant, as someone else already answered, is can one find these titles on their own. Whoever posts it here first must find it somehow, right? Disney should have a list somewhere so it's not just a chance search for an obscure titles that brings up a new release. Thank you to the previous post that pointed out Disney's own dvd website of new releases. That seems like the official word on the matter. But, yes Luke, I check in here daily too.
I agree, Disney should do a better job of advertising it, even if all we get is some word about these films in some flyer in the various DVD's or maybe something on the web site. There are a LOT of people who just don't know about stuff like this. Not everyone surfs the internet like people on this forum. It's short sighted and a dumb business plain if you ask me. But, it is what it is, so just make sure you tell as many Disney fans as you can! That may well be the only way the word will really get out!
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

gardener14 wrote:Well, yes, of course...I do that daily. What I meant, as someone else already answered, is can one find these titles on their own. Whoever posts it here first must find it somehow, right? Disney should have a list somewhere so it's not just a chance search for an obscure titles that brings up a new release. Thank you to the previous post that pointed out Disney's own dvd website of new releases. That seems like the official word on the matter. But, yes Luke, I check in here daily too.
Thanks! :up: And I agree. When I find out just by searching Amazon, you know they're doing the worst job imaginable spreading the word to people who care. If I were overseeing the line, I'd make review copies available to the handful of sites that care about the live-action titles that they've made as obscure as these.
"Fifteen years from now, when people are talking about 3-D, they will talk about the business before 'Monsters vs. Aliens' and the business after 'Monsters vs. Aliens.' It's the line in the sand." - Greg Foster, IMAX chairman and president
monks19

Post by monks19 »

Let's hope that tthis new collection won't be stuck on the road with just some live action films to talk about. I hope that the skipped treasure stuff (and more censored/bypassed/ignored elements will find their way of for DVD release.
disneyfella
Anniversary Edition

Post by disneyfella »

I got an email this morning that they have added Fuzzbucket to the Disney Generations Collection on amazon. Anyone know of any other new titles added?
"It's Kind Of Fun To Do The Impossible"
- Walt Disney

John Pannozzi

Post by John Pannozzi »

OK, this is kind of odd. A representative of Disney Home Entertainment's customer service hotline just told me that Amazon is the decision-maker behind the Disney Generations Collection. I can't help but be skeptical, since Disney's customer service people have given me misinformation in the past , as they told me that Disney/Miramax no longer had the license to Godzilla vs. Biollante when they actually did (this being back around 2007-2009 when Disney still owned Miramax), and may have mislead me regarding whether Disney or Apple is the one who decides what movies and shows are available on the iTunes store (I'm still not sure about that matter), so I don't know what to believe. I just get the feeling that there's a massive communications breakdown between the different departments of Disney, and that the same may be true of most corporations and organizations today. I'm just really frustrated.
merlinjones
Anniversary Edition

Post by merlinjones »

That doesn't sound right, since I'm sure there would be many other unavailable Disney titles much higher on Amazon customers DVD want lists.

But if so, maybe Amazon can only pick from a specific set of titles that aren't reserved elsewhere in the company like DMC or retail. Hmmm...

Maybe the operator had the Disney Generations DVD line confused with Disney's Amazon movie downloads? -- That might make more sense.
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

Two things. One, we have an unofficial Facebook page up for this collection here:

https://www.facebook.com/SupporttheDisn ... Collection

Second, I'm planing on calling Amazon and maybe Disney this week when I get a chance to see if we can get to the bottom of this.
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

John Pannozzi wrote:OK, this is kind of odd. A representative of Disney Home Entertainment's customer service hotline just told me that Amazon is the decision-maker behind the Disney Generations Collection. I can't help but be skeptical, since Disney's customer service people have given me misinformation in the past , as they told me that Disney/Miramax no longer had the license to Godzilla vs. Biollante when they actually did (this being back around 2007-2009 when Disney still owned Miramax), and may have mislead me regarding whether Disney or Apple is the one who decides what movies and shows are available on the iTunes store (I'm still not sure about that matter), so I don't know what to believe. I just get the feeling that there's a massive communications breakdown between the different departments of Disney, and that the same may be true of most corporations and organizations today. I'm just really frustrated.
This is what I just wrote on Open Vault Disney's Facebook page:
I send an e-mail to Amazon about the Generations Collection. I was re-directed to their strategic alliance department and given a new e-mail and a physical address. Depending on how the new e-mail I just sent goes, we may or may not be writing e-mails and letters to Amazon as a group. I'll post more as I find information out.
So, just stay frosty. I hope to get more info on this soon.

-Walt Disney
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

Hey all, no word from Amazon yet, but check out this post from The Digital Bits:
Here's a surprise, as I don't think it's really been promoted much: Disney has announced a new Disney Generations Collection of MOD DVD titles that's available on their website and Amazon.com. These appear to be live action catalog titles, including Amy (1981), Student Exchange (1987) and Goldrush: A Real Life Alaskan Adventure (1998). Let's hope they follow these with a lot more. Thanks to Bits reader Jason S. for the link.
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/mytwocent ... tml#071111

-Walt Disney
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

So, I gave Amazon a call, and my first call, after talking to the customer service agent, was cut off. So, I called back, and after talking to another customer service agent that was less then friendly, I finally was transferred to an agent named Justin in the video/ audio department.

Justin told me he had no idea about catalog info and that it was most likely a whole team in charge of something like this, but for whatever reason, felt my best bet was to e-mail someone else. So, I have a new e-mail, and will be sending that after I finish writing this post.

One way or another, we'll get to the bottom of this. I'll post more as I find it out.

-Walt Disney
monks19

Post by monks19 »

Hi, any news from amazon yrt ?
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

monks19 wrote:Hi, any news from amazon yrt ?
No, I've been getting the run around. This may take some time sadly, but I'm not done trying. I'll post as soon as I get something worth posting.

-Walt Disney
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

HEY EVERYONE! I finally got a response from Amazon about the "Generations Collection." Here it is:
Dear Mr. Schlierman,

I'm Deborah Hankins of Amazon.com's Executive Customer Relations team. Jeff Bezos received your email and asked me to respond on his behalf.

I'm sorry you're not satisfied with the selections in "Disney Generations Collection."

Just like regular Disney DVD releases, Disney decides on the selection of titles for DVD-on Demand, and then makes the titles available for Amazon to offer to customers through the CreateSpace DVD on Demand service.

I hope this information is helpful. Please feel free to reply to this email if I can be of further assistance.

Regards,

Deborah Hankins
Executive Customer Relations
Amazon.com
Needless to say, I think another phone call to Disney is in order...

-Walt Disney
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

I got a message back from Disney. This was it:
Jason,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments and concerns about Generations Collection" of DVD on demand. We're sad to hear that you are unhappy with the selection.

We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback! We will be sure to share your thoughts and concerns with the rest of our team.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us.

Sincerely,

Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment Consumer Relations
US and Canada
First thing I noticed was they still didn't answer my question, but not surprised. I'm thinking they do have full control over the "Generations Collection." It doesn't make sense that they would not.

-Walt Disney
ultimatefilmfan
Limited Issue

Post by ultimatefilmfan »

Has anyone received their copies of any of the Generations titles?

I'm wondering what people's thoughts are on the picture quality and overall presentation. I'm assuming that the films were each presented in a 1.33:1 aspect ratio as most were made for television, but what about "Amy"?

The transfer of "Amy" I have from an early Disney Video release is horrible, I'm hoping that the Amazon version has a better one.

Any word on the future of the Disney MODs yet? I'd love to at least complete my Live-Action Feature Films collection.....there are only a few more to go that haven't been given a DVD release!
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

ultimatefilmfan wrote:Has anyone received their copies of any of the Generations titles?

I'm wondering what people's thoughts are on the picture quality and overall presentation. I'm assuming that the films were each presented in a 1.33:1 aspect ratio as most were made for television, but what about "Amy"?

The transfer of "Amy" I have from an early Disney Video release is horrible, I'm hoping that the Amazon version has a better one.

Any word on the future of the Disney MODs yet? I'd love to at least complete my Live-Action Feature Films collection.....there are only a few more to go that haven't been given a DVD release!
I have bought "Goldrush" and my review is currently the only one on Amazon's web site. I intend to get the other three (although I will admit, "Student Exchange doesn't interest me as much, I'm only going after the one to support this line and to review it for Open Vault Disney), but am out of work right now, so it has to wait for the moment.

Please, check out my review for not however for "Goldrush" on Amazon. Noticed someone review "Amy" as well.

PS: Admin Luke, if you see this and when you get the chance, any way you may be able to update your Disney movie lists to reflect to "Generations Collection" releases?

-Walt Disney
jckdsnyfan

Post by jckdsnyfan »

I have all 4 of the titles released so far. Looks to me that these are just the VHS released burned onto DVD-R - no improvement in quality.

Amy is full screen (all 4 discs are but the other 3 are TV movies/episodes so that would be appropriate).

As many others have stated, it is amazing that a company that is pushing the new formats (Blu & 3D) by talking about theater quality or experience, refuses to give us basic quality (especially OAR) in their catalog releases through this line and the Exclusive line with Disney Movie Club.

I'm happy to see these released, but just wish they were in condition to make it really worth the cost.
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

jckdsnyfan wrote:I have all 4 of the titles released so far. Looks to me that these are just the VHS released burned onto DVD-R - no improvement in quality.

Amy is full screen (all 4 discs are but the other 3 are TV movies/episodes so that would be appropriate).

As many others have stated, it is amazing that a company that is pushing the new formats (Blu & 3D) by talking about theater quality or experience, refuses to give us basic quality (especially OAR) in their catalog releases through this line and the Exclusive line with Disney Movie Club.

I'm happy to see these released, but just wish they were in condition to make it really worth the cost.
So "Amy" is not in it's OAS? That is a bit disappointing, but knowing Disney, not surprising. Disney confuses me sometimes with how they handle catalog titles. AS you said, they make "near theater quality" a big deal with Blu and 3D releases, then give us crap for classic titles. Go fig!

Hey, thanks for posting, it was good to know.

-Walt Disney
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Hey, I currently an Assistant Admin for the fan campaign Open Vault Disney, and we have an inside source that says our Facebook fan page is being watched by sources at Disney. If you go on there and share what titles you want to see on Disney DVD-on-Demand next, more then likely it will be noticed. Post what you want on the collection via this this thread or the Facebook page of Open Vault Disney which is here...

http://www.facebook.com/OpenVaultDisney

Here's part of the email the Admin Received

Hello,

I am trying this email address I found on your website. The Hotmail one listed on Facebook bounced back. I must admit, you’ve made it very difficult to contact you.

I also posted something one of your Facebook Discussions, but haven’t heard anything back.

Please contact me and let’s see what we can do to get some of the old Disney titles out there for our Disney fans.
These are 5 new movies via the Disney Mod Program.

http://www.amazon.com/Little-Einsteins- ... 826&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Little-Einsteins- ... mov_text_b

http://www.amazon.com/Little-Einsteins- ... mov_text_c

http://www.amazon.com/I-3-Vampires-Seas ... 943&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/I-3-Vampires-Seas ... _mov_img_b
Last edited by disneyboy20022 on Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx