Disney Heroines and the Need for Perfection

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Jackoleen
In The Vaults

Disney Heroines and the Need for Perfection

Post by Jackoleen »

Dear Disney Enthusiasts,

XXX!
Last edited by Jackoleen on Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Farewell For Now,
Jackoleen

-------------------------------

I wish to be seduced in a royal Asian locale!
Jackoleen
In The Vaults

XXX!

Post by Jackoleen »

Dear Disney Enthusiasts,

XXX!
Last edited by Jackoleen on Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Farewell For Now,
Jackoleen

-------------------------------

I wish to be seduced in a royal Asian locale!
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I actually read this the day you posted, but I wasn't sure how to reply + I was busy at the same time. :P

I think that over-perfection may be a reason behind my impression of Bianca. Disney heroines have a heavy load to bear, especially these days. For some reason, they have to be everything in order to not be sexist: they must be empowered, they must never rely on a man/other people, they must be smart/kind/active, they mustn't be brat-ish/pompous/condescending/any-other-negative-trait, and so on. But then they must also be visually perfect, according to Disney animation standards, which also received criticism (though nobody minds us men growing up with unrealistic body images like Hercules and Tarzan to look up to). :P

I think a lot of that need for perfection out of the female characters limits the ability to create interesting characters. I don't mind superwomen like Mulan, Esmeralda and Pocahontas, but I also love characters like Ariel, Megara, Tiana, or Rapunzel who have flawed and imperfect characteristics. They kind of match the more humanized male characters of the past two decades (Aladdin, Beast, Naveen, Flynn, etc.). I think it's that fear that such portrayals will be "sexist" that prevent them from creating flawed characters like Beast that are female. Which is a shame, because I would enjoy more complex female characters (that aren't villains).
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"