Which Disney movies (or scenes) make you cry?

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
The Disneynerd
Gold Classic Collection

Which Disney movies (or scenes) make you cry?

Post by The Disneynerd »

Hi guys! :wave:
A few weeks ago i rewatched Dumbo and as we were heading torwards the "Baby Mine" sequence my eyes automatically shed tears. I think just the thought of an innocent child being seperated from his mother is so heart wrenching. :huh: Its probably the only Disney scene that makes me cry everytime. And I just love the movie so much due to Dumbo being this huge outsider, hes one of those characters that you must protect and pet 24/7๐ŸŽ€.

Another one that makes me really sad is The Fox and the Hound, the whole movie in general. Just the thought of 2 innocent childhood friends who are forced by the world to become enemies is extremely sad. The scene where Widow Tweed sets Tod out in the forest is really strong, almost as strong as the Baby Mine sequence in my opinion, made me cry a couple of times, but not always tbh. But the whole movie is actually really sad and the bittersweet ending makes me appreciate it even more.

Pixar also has some strong ones, like the Ellie and Carl montage sequence, or the Bao short, and Bing Bongs sacrifice, really touching, but doesnt really make me shed tears :oops:
My favourite Disney songs:
๐Ÿ. ๐“Ÿ๐“ช๐“ป๐“ฝ ๐“ธ๐“ฏ ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ป ๐“ฆ๐“ธ๐“ป๐“ต๐“ญ (๐“ต๐“ฒ๐“ฝ๐“ฝ๐“ต๐“ฎ ๐“œ๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ถ๐“ช๐“ฒ๐“ญ)
๐Ÿ. ๐“ฆ๐“ช๐“ฒ๐“ฝ๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ฐ ๐“ฒ๐“ท ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“ฆ๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ฐ๐“ผ (๐“ฃ๐“ช๐“ท๐“ฐ๐“ต๐“ฎ๐“ญ ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“ผ๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ฒ๐“ฎ๐“ผ)
๐Ÿ‘. Wherever I go (Hannah Montana)๐ŸŽถ :cry:
๐Ÿ’. ๐“Ÿ๐“ป๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ญ ๐“ธ๐“ฏ ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ป ๐“‘๐“ธ๐”‚ (๐“๐“ต๐“ช๐“ญ๐“ญ๐“ฒ๐“ท)
๐Ÿ“. ๐’ฏ๐’ฝ๐‘’ ๐’ž๐“๐’พ๐“‚๐’ท :cry: (๐“—๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐“ƒ๐’ถ๐’ฝ ๐“œ๐‘œ๐“ƒ๐“‰๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐’ถ ๐“‚๐‘œ๐“‹๐’พ๐‘’)
& more: 1000 years ( Legend of the Neverbeast),
I'll try (Return to Neverland) :pan: , So close (Enchanted), ๐’ด๐‘œ๐“Šยด๐“๐“ ๐“ƒ๐‘’๐“‹๐‘’๐“‡ ๐“๐‘œ๐“ˆ๐‘’ ๐“‰๐’ฝ๐’พ๐“ˆ ๐“๐‘œ๐“‹๐‘’ (๐’Ÿ๐’พ๐“ˆ๐“ƒ๐‘’๐“Ž ๐’ซ๐“‡๐’พ๐“ƒ๐’ธ๐‘’๐“ˆ๐“ˆ: ๐ธ๐“ƒ๐’ธ๐’ฝ๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐“‰๐‘’๐’น ๐’ฏ๐’ถ๐“๐‘’๐“ˆ), I thought I lost you (BOLT), Into the Unknown (Frozen 2) :pink:
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Re: Which Disney movies (or scenes) make you cry?

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Mufasa`s death and the ending of Pocahontas. The latter scene didn`t made me cry at first, but afterwards it did (funny enough). But don`t ask me why it didn`t at first, I was a strange child, lol :P
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

A lot of scenes really, I'm an easy touch. I decided to go down the list of films and try to remember those particular moments.

- The dwarfs crying at Snow White's funeral.
- The shot of Pinocchio dead in the water, Geppetto crying after and the revival.
- The scenes of Dumbo being ostracized and "Baby Mine."
- Cinderella crying underneath the willow before the ball, as well as the happy ending.
- "Very Good Advice" from Alice in Wonderland.
- The Three Fairies with Aurora after she's been cursed.
- The Sheriff stealing the birthday present from the boy in the first half, and then Fat Friar being arrested (along with most everybody else).
- Gurgi's sacrifice and Taran bargaining with the Witches to bring Gurgi back.
- "Goodbye May Seem Forever" from TF&TH. Then the ending from Amos pulling out the gun to kill Tod after the bear is dead all the way through to the credits.
- Oliver waking up after he's been "rescued" by Dodger from Jenny's home and wanting to go back.
- Ariel crying after the grotto's been destroyed, then "I love you, Daddy" at the very end and the choral reprise get me.
- Aladdin during OJA (reprise), and the ending when he frees Genie thinking it means the end for him and Jasmine.
- Beast throughout the last of the film after he's let Belle go and then his death.
- Mufasa's death and then Simba roaring at the very end (the score there is incredible).
- Pocahontas after Kokoum's death, and then the end when Pocahontas runs through the trees to say goodbye to Smith.
- Quasimodo's mother being killed at the beginning.
- Megara's death and Hercules "dying" to save her at the end.
- Fa Zhou dropping the sword and hugging Mulan at the end.
- Nani being told Lilo is being taken out of her custody.
- The orphanage head waving goodbye to Lewis at the end of Meet the Robinsons always gets me.
- Tiana watching her father in the window during the temptation scene and then Ray appearing in the sky.
- Elsa in the early scenes talking to the father, Elsa during "FtFTiF"'s reprise, and Anna sacrificing herself for Elsa at the end.
- Hiro leaving Baymax in the portal at the end.
- Raya sacrificing herself at the end followed by the others.
- MIrabel and Alma holding hands in the water at the end.

PIXAR:
- Andy at the end of Toy Story 3.
- Alberto and Luca saying goodbye at the end.
- Sully taking Boo home and destroying her door.
- Miguel singing to Coco at the end.
- I think there was a moment near the end of Brave that did it to me, too, when the men almost kill Elinor, I think that's the moment.
- Wade's "death" at the end of Elemental. (I was sort of spoiled that that happened, but I didn't know if he revived or not.)

Carl and Ellie do have a great scene, but I don't remember crying exactly. Same with "When She Loved Me." Hit me in the feels, just not full-blown crying.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Wow, Divinity, what s list! I didn't know you were so sensitive! That is a good thing!

"Goodbye May Seem Forever" has always gotten to me. I don't know if it would still get to me if I saw it now. But I ugly cried at it a bunch. I also cried at Miguel singing to Coco.
The Disneynerd
Gold Classic Collection

Post by The Disneynerd »

Wow, indeed a good long list, Divinity! :-o
I agree those are really sad ones, Gurgis sacrifice is really under appreciated (and him as a character too), Pocahontas ending, Mulans ending are really touching too (and Pocahontas ending is probably one of my fav disney endings for its bittersweetness)
I totally forgot about "When she loved me" sequence! I think thats a great tearjerker. I agree Cocos ending is also really strong! :oops:
๐Ÿ. ๐“Ÿ๐“ช๐“ป๐“ฝ ๐“ธ๐“ฏ ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ป ๐“ฆ๐“ธ๐“ป๐“ต๐“ญ (๐“ต๐“ฒ๐“ฝ๐“ฝ๐“ต๐“ฎ ๐“œ๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ถ๐“ช๐“ฒ๐“ญ)
๐Ÿ. ๐“ฆ๐“ช๐“ฒ๐“ฝ๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ฐ ๐“ฒ๐“ท ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“ฆ๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ฐ๐“ผ (๐“ฃ๐“ช๐“ท๐“ฐ๐“ต๐“ฎ๐“ญ ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“ผ๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ฒ๐“ฎ๐“ผ)
๐Ÿ’. ๐“Ÿ๐“ป๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ญ ๐“ธ๐“ฏ ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ป ๐“‘๐“ธ๐”‚ (๐“๐“ต๐“ช๐“ญ๐“ญ๐“ฒ๐“ท)
๐Ÿ“. ๐’ฏ๐’ฝ๐‘’ ๐’ž๐“๐’พ๐“‚๐’ท :cry: (๐“—๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐“ƒ๐’ถ๐’ฝ ๐“œ๐‘œ๐“ƒ๐“‰๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐’ถ ๐“‚๐‘œ๐“‹๐’พ๐‘’)
I'll try (Return to Neverland) :pan: , So close (Enchanted), ๐’ด๐‘œ๐“Šยด๐“๐“ ๐“ƒ๐‘’๐“‹๐‘’๐“‡ ๐“๐‘œ๐“ˆ๐‘’ ๐“‰๐’ฝ๐’พ๐“ˆ ๐“๐‘œ๐“‹๐‘’ (๐’Ÿ๐’พ๐“ˆ๐“ƒ๐‘’๐“Ž ๐’ซ๐“‡๐’พ๐“ƒ๐’ธ๐‘’๐“ˆ๐“ˆ: ๐ธ๐“ƒ๐’ธ๐’ฝ๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐“‰๐‘’๐’น ๐’ฏ๐’ถ๐“๐‘’๐“ˆ), I thought I lost you (BOLT), Into the Unknown (Frozen 2) :pink:
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

Only two have managed to get me to have a bit of misty eyes, because it just takes so much for that to happen for me at all.

simba discovering mufassa has died. (not even when it came out, it was one time when it aired on cable. I'm not sure why it only happened this one time in particular, many years after it was released, and never since.

the final scene in toy story 3, watching woody say goodbye. I had it in my mind we would never see another toy story again, so that contributed. that was kinda ruined by it not being the final time later, but it was sad at the time for me.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

1. Mufasa's death - every single freaking time. When he says the last "Help", and the tears start rolling his cheeks, that's when I lose it.
2. Baby Mine in Dumbo
3. Bambi's mother dies.
4. The pound scene in Lady and the Tramp - I've always thought it would be a great commercial to convince people to adopt dogs.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Most of Brother Bear. That movie just makes me bawl my eyes out. The loss of Sitka, the loss of Koda's mom, "No Way Out," Kenai deciding to stay a bear.

Dumbo and The Fox and the Hound also get me bawling too. Ray's death in The Princess and the Frog. Penny in The Rescuers is so sweet and in such a bad situation, I find myself crying when watching that film as an adult. Lilo looking at the photos gets me. Parts of Meet the Robinsons gets me, Lewis' longing for a family. Mittens' (Bolt) story gets me. Rapunzel saving Flynn gets me choked up a bit. Baymax sacrificing himself. Raya's dad turning to stone. And then at the end when it becomes Kumandra again.

Only as an adult has the destruction of Ariel's grotto gotten me misty eyed. Bambi calling for his mom gets me too. Cinderella's stepsisters destroying her dress gets me as an adult when it didn't as a kid.

The opening montage in Up destroys me so much that I hardly watch the film! "When She Loved Me" makes me cry too. "Our Town" in Cars gets me misty eyed. TS3's incinerator scene.
Arlo being separated from his dad (The Good Dinosaur). Ian and Barley seeing their dad at the end of Onward. Wade's "death" in Elemental.

I know I'm missing some but this is what I can think of with my sleepy brain!
The Disneynerd
Gold Classic Collection

Post by The Disneynerd »

blackcauldron85 wrote: โ†‘Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:52 pm Most of Brother Bear. That movie just makes me bawl my eyes out. The loss of Sitka, the loss of Koda's mom, "No Way Out," Kenai deciding to stay a bear.
ughh i agree with the most you mentioned, blackcauldron85! :thumb: Brother Bear has many emotional moments and him staying a Bear was a powerful move! :cry:
I think BB was created after Eisner wanted another big Animal blockbuster ala Lion King, with songs etc. And I think this one is way more emotional and touching than LK imo, especially since its about Brotherhood. And I agree with Onwards ending! It was really refreshing and I really loved this one :)
And Wades process of his sacrifice was also really investing, although when he "died" i wasnt sad at all because i already expected him to return :P
blackcauldron85 wrote: โ†‘Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:52 pm Penny in The Rescuers is so sweet and in such a bad situation, I find myself crying when watching that film as an adult.
Oh i forgot about poor Penny! This one always got me as a kid. When Medusa told her that noone would adopt her, it was always hitting really hard
DisneyFan09 wrote: โ†‘Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:16 pm Mufasa`s death and the ending of Pocahontas. The latter scene didn`t made me cry at first, but afterwards it did (funny enough). But don`t ask me why it didn`t at first, I was a strange child, lol :P
Dont worry, IM the weird one here. :P :wink: Mufasas Death has NEVER made me cry or emotional at all, not even as a kid. Im pretty sure it HAS to be emotional, since almost all of you mentioned it here, but i feel nothing in this scene :shrug: ๐Ÿ˜
Kyle wrote: โ†‘Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:58 am the final scene in toy story 3, watching woody say goodbye. I had it in my mind we would never see another toy story again, so that contributed. that was kinda ruined by it not being the final time later, but it was sad at the time for me.
Youre right, Kyle, it was way more effective that way. And although TS4 was kinda unnecassary, I think it was still kinda a worthy continuation, and Woody saying goodbye to his gang made me actually cry. I think Woodys emotional arc was pressed out by it entirely, so im kinda worried about the 5th one if he returns.
Vlad wrote: โ†‘Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:02 pm 1. Mufasa's death - every single freaking time. When he says the last "Help", and the tears start rolling his cheeks, that's when I lose it.
2. Baby Mine in Dumbo
3. Bambi's mother dies.
4. The pound scene in Lady and the Tramp - I've always thought it would be a great commercial to convince people to adopt dogs.
I actually rewatched Lady& the Tramp last week, i remember how effective it was when I was a child. Although i didnt really cry, its still a really strong one and would make indeed a worthy Adoption commercial

I think Meridas mom "staying" a bear at the end made me cry too. I also argue with my mother alot, but if she would turn into a bear, I would cry endlessly too :huh:

Also, Im not such a fan of the movie itself anymore (as the Internet, Memes and Pop culture references dried out and the movie was basically just a commercial for disney ), but I remember crying at the end when Ralph and Vanellope shifted ways in RbtI, the ending is still bittersweet, but again, imo nothing compared to tF&tH or Baby Mine
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

The Disneynerd wrote: โ†‘Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:38 pm
DisneyFan09 wrote: โ†‘Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:16 pm Mufasa`s death and the ending of Pocahontas. The latter scene didn`t made me cry at first, but afterwards it did (funny enough). But don`t ask me why it didn`t at first, I was a strange child, lol :P
Dont worry, IM the weird one here. :P :wink: Mufasas Death has NEVER made me cry or emotional at all, not even as a kid. Im pretty sure it HAS to be emotional, since almost all of you mentioned it here, but i feel nothing in this scene :shrug: ๐Ÿ˜
I don`t want to sound prissy, but you`ve clearly misunderstood my comment. I was talking about how the ending in Pocahontas didn`t made me cry at first, not Mufasa`s death. By simply stating "the latter scene". Sorry for being nitpicky, but I just wanted to clarify.
The Disneynerd
Gold Classic Collection

Post by The Disneynerd »

DisneyFan09 wrote: โ†‘Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:03 pm I don`t want to sound prissy, but you`ve clearly misunderstood my comment. I was talking about how the ending in Pocahontas didn`t made me cry at first, not Mufasa`s death. By simply stating "the latter scene". Sorry for being nitpicky, but I just wanted to clarify.
Oppsie, my bad :oops: :)
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

The Disneynerd wrote: โ†‘Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:17 am
DisneyFan09 wrote: โ†‘Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:03 pm I don`t want to sound prissy, but you`ve clearly misunderstood my comment. I was talking about how the ending in Pocahontas didn`t made me cry at first, not Mufasa`s death. By simply stating "the latter scene". Sorry for being nitpicky, but I just wanted to clarify.
Oppsie, my bad :oops: :)
It`s alright :) You`re forgiven. Everybody can make mistakes, so don`t worry ;)
PatchofBlue
Gold Classic Collection

Post by PatchofBlue »

Disney by nature is just a very sentimental area, and I'm very emotional watching movies. Trying to compose even a highlight reel would take up so much space here.

One moment I remember crying at once, that I don't know was necessarily intended as a tearjerker moment, was during "Beauty and the Beast" right after the title song when Beast asks, "Belle, are you ... happy here with me?" I don't know. There might have been some subterranean personal reasons that must have left me very vulnerable during that viewing, but I remembered needing to just pause the film and feel some stuff before I could keep going. But I'm also going to go out on a limb here and say that Robby Benson is just a master at voicework and did so much to bring that character to life.

Another experience that I guess is worth remarking upon is hearing the score for ONWARD for the first time. I sometimes let myself do this with new Disney/Pixar releases before I go in and see them so I can get a better sense of the film without actually "spoiling" anything. I just had the playlist on while I was engaged in other projects, but when we got to the track "Share My Life With Him" (in the film this plays when Ian is looking over his list and coming to his realization about Barley), I actually had to stop what I was doing and just take it in, and then I restarted the track before I let it go on. I was able to infer that this was around the space of the film's emotional climax, but I just remember being like frozen in place honestly unable to imagine what could be going on in the film at that time that would earn such an intensely profound emotional catharsis (the song kinda gives itself two climaxes at 2:09 and again at 2:54). And then when I saw the sequence play out onscreen, I understood.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCzLnhNLSMU
The Disneynerd
Gold Classic Collection

Post by The Disneynerd »

DisneyFan09 wrote: โ†‘Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:27 am It`s alright :) You`re forgiven. Everybody can make mistakes, so don`t worry :wink:
thank you :)
PatchofBlue wrote: โ†‘Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:08 pm Another experience that I guess is worth remarking upon is hearing the score for ONWARD for the first time. I sometimes let myself do this with new Disney/Pixar releases before I go in and see them so I can get a better sense of the film without actually "spoiling" anything.
i sometimes thought of doing this with upcoming movies too, I think I did it only with Raya, but I was always afraid of the tracktitles and how they are still a bit spoilery, but doesnt matter too much :) The track you shared was really strong, him checking the boxes and appreciating Barley was also one of my favourite scenes, since i have an older sibling i really felt it. Those sibling relationships in movies like Onward are way more interesting than in Frozen, since the sisters had no real rivalry or bad blood in any way, but it had its own unique message anyway

I would add Pixars "Soul" which made me emotional when 22 is ready to be born or at the end when Joe learns that in life its not about achieving your goals, but its about "the climb๐ŸŽถ๐ŸŽถ๐ŸŽถ". Only saw the movie once in 2020 when it came out, but im sure i will be more attached since this Message grew on me over the years
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

The Disneynerd wrote: โ†‘Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:03 am Wow, indeed a good long list, Divinity! :-o
I agree those are really sad ones, Gurgis sacrifice is really under appreciated (and him as a character too), Pocahontas ending, Mulans ending are really touching too (and Pocahontas ending is probably one of my fav disney endings for its bittersweetness)
TBC in general tends to be forgotten. I like Gurgi more in the books, he is slightly annoying in the movies, but sacrifical death scenes in stories always get me. They actually did that one pretty well, it wasn't too drawn out, the movie doesn't really get you to feel it in the moment because the others need to escape the castle. A part of why the scene at the end works and makes it more emotional is actually the way the witches react to him asking for it. Come to think of it, I wonder if Fflewdur manipulating the Witches' egos at the end there may have been an idea used later with Aladdin and Jafar.

Pocahontas' ending is probably the strongest scene in that film for me.
blackcauldron85 wrote: โ†‘Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:52 pm Only as an adult has the destruction of Ariel's grotto gotten me misty eyed.
For me, it's a combination of all the characters that makes that scene a sad one. Ariel, obviously, is traumatized and all and she experiences a huge range of emotions in such a short span right there, but Triton's and Sebastian's guilt make it, too.

Thanks, Duster. :)
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Thumper_93
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Thumper_93 »

I always cry with Snow white when she's awakened by the prince. I also cry with Pocahontas and Hunchback's finales.
I cry too much with Lilo and Stitch in some parts of the movie. Lilo is very cute and she always makes me cry when she talks about how bad people treat her.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I live with my two best friends, and the guy cries very easily. We watched The Little Mermaid, and when Triton destroyed Ariel's stuff, he cried and said something like, "You did a good thing for your daughter, didn't you?" You know, in a sarcastic way. And him crying made me see the scene as sadder than I ever had, and I got the feels and a tear came to my eye. It took me as an adult to cry from The Little Mermaid.