The Little Mermaid Discussion

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
The Little Merman
Anniversary Edition

The Little Mermaid Discussion

Post by The Little Merman »

:? Who else is a big fan of The Little Mermaid? :?
One of the all time greatest films in history (Disney and regular), there is nothing not to like! All the character's voices are superbly cast especially Jodi Benson (as Ariel) and Pat Carroll (as Ursula :twisted: ). The Academy Award winning songs are dazzling and so are the dreamy colors and animation. Post away my fellow Ariel-atics!!
BonusMage
Gold Classic Collection

Post by BonusMage »

Aha! I wondered when this discussion would start :D
This was the first disney film I saw at the cinemas, I was about 5. Its now my all-time favourite disney film. From the first great shot of the film as Eric's ship sails the waves and the singing voices I was captivated.
I loved the characters, the whole idea the animation and characters gave of an underwater world filled with merpeople. It lead to me liking other things with merpeople in - Peter Pan, Harry Potter 4, Splash! and it lead to me buying the barebones DVD for more money than it should of been bought. :oops:
The song I love most is 'Part of your world', Jodi's voice is brilliant and shows off the real emotion in the song. The animation is brilliant, especially the shot near the song end, looking down from above on Ariel and her hair sweeps around her face.
It may start as a similar Disney story, the girl who wants more from life, but I think The Little Mermaid is one of Disney's greats.
lord-of-sith
Collector's Edition

Post by lord-of-sith »

I agree, the voice casting is perfect! And the animation of Ursula is amazing! Purely a film that proved Disney could be as good without Walt as they were with him!
sCArs
Gold Classic Collection

Post by sCArs »

The Little Mermaid was the earliest movie I had ever seen, I wore the video out pretty quick! :P So my Nanny taped it, but then someone taped over it :x The storyline is great, it doesn't drag on like others do. Ursula is my favourite Disney Villan, she's cool :D It's my big sisters favourite Disney movie, she watches it over and over, and it's probably my favourite as well, it's up there with Beauty And The Beast and Aladdin :)
Loomis
Signature Collection
Location: Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Post by Loomis »

I wrote this for the Ultimate Countdown:
"While Snow White was the one that 'started it all', The Little Mermaid was the the one that started it all again. Times may have been dark for feature animation, but The Little Mermaid proved all the naysayers wrong. I remember this fondly as the first time in a while that I was really excited by a 'cartoon' , and to this day it is a pleasure to watch over and over. It is hard to say whether it is the songs, the animation or the sheer enthusiasm of all involved that made it work for me, but I know that it is always a film I can return to no matter what the mood (and I have many moods!). In other words, a film that has certainly earned the right to the word 'classic'."
Nothing has changed since then. It is still my favourite animated classic, and I still can't exactly place what it is I like about it.
Behind the Panels - Comic book news, reviews and podcast
The Reel Bits - All things film
Twitter - Follow me on Twitter
MickeyMousePal
Signature Collection

Post by MickeyMousePal »

The Little Mermaid was the film that saved Disney in the late 80's. During the 80's decade Disney was down with animation and wasn't doing quite well. The Little Mermaid help boost audience to see Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin and The Lion King.
This is the second Disney film I saw when I was growing up and still enjoy to watch it. I really love the storyline and the musical numbers.
This is the Disney film Walt Disney would wanted to see.
I can't wait for the release date in 2006. :D :D
The Simpsons Season 11 Buy it Now!

Fox Sunday lineup:

8:00 The Simpsons
8:30 King of the Hill
9:00 Family Guy
9:30 American Dad

Living in the 1980's:
rb_canadian181
Gold Classic Collection

Post by rb_canadian181 »

I think when The Little Mermaid, Aladdin and Beauty and the Beast were made, Disney's had it's peak in animation. The quality is brilliant as well as the characters and storyline. Now we're stuck with crap like Lilo and Stitch, Treasure Planet and Home on the Range. I wonder if Disney will ever be able to make the REAL disney Gold ever again. I hate that they make sequels like "Return to the sea". they make the original look bad. I mean, compare the animation-BIG DIFFERENCE! The new animation is bland and flat while the animation in the early classics shows depth, colour and quality. The Little Mermaid will remain Disney's greatest achievment of all time in my belief. I think it should come out on Platinum DVD very soon because my collection is not complete without it!
This is by far my favourite Disney movie!
Last edited by rb_canadian181 on Mon Oct 11, 2004 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

I disagree. I think that Ariel's face looks decidedly funny and off-model in lots of shots from The Little Mermaid.

I think the animation on the latest Disney films has been no worse than The Little Mermaid. In fact, I think it is better.
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

2099net wrote:I disagree. I think that Ariel's face looks decidedly funny and off-model in lots of shots from The Little Mermaid.

I think the animation on the latest Disney films has been no worse than The Little Mermaid. In fact, I think it is better.
I agree, the animation (on Ariel in particular) isn't very consistent, she looks different in almost every shot. Very annoying.
rodis
Special Edition

Post by rodis »

The Little Mermaid is Disney at its peak. I don't think any other Disney flick comes close to it. Perhaps only "Beauty and the Beast".
The animation is incredible - and the most ambitious Disney has ever done in a few scenes - such as "main titles", "storm at sea", "part of your world" and the best climax ever, when Ursula takes over the sea.
The [animation] is lush, detailed and colorful. It definitely boasts some of the most beautiful and original visuals to grace a Disney film.
I disagree. I think that Ariel's face looks decidedly funny and off-model in lots of shots from The Little Mermaid.
Actually, I always thought the same thing about Belle. Incredible how in every scene, another part of her face looks noticably different.
Mermaid Kelly
Anniversary Edition

Post by Mermaid Kelly »

The Little Mermaid is my absolute favorite Disney movie of all time!!!!!!!
(actually it probabally IS my favorite movie of all time!!!!!!!!) :D

:ariel: I LOVE Ariel!!!!!!!!!! I collect SO much merchandice of her.....dolls, snowglobes......yea :) :ariel:
Image Image
DreamerQ18
Anniversary Edition

Post by DreamerQ18 »

The Little Mermaid me we go way back . Although I never owned the orignal Little Mermaid on VHS when I was younger. I remember always borrowing it from cousins who were boys by the way Lol. I would watch that movie every day and night. Before Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin the Little Mermaid and Sleeping Beauty were my #1s. I lvoe the music in the movie and the clors are fantastic. I think everything about the stroy behind the Little Mermaid which is why I can easily over see mistakes in animmation here and there. And I thinkk that Disney will be able to creat Gold like this once again in the near futre. Nothing goes strong all the tiome. And Although I dont think the movies from this eara are total crap like many say it did prdouce Lilo and Stitch. :) Okay so those are just my thoughts.

~*Little Mermaid*~ Rocks!!! 8)
PublicEnemy#1
Gold Classic Collection

Post by PublicEnemy#1 »

I LOVE The Little Mermaid, probaly in my top 3 favorite Disney Classics and one of my favorite films ever. :D I do agree that Ariel does look a little weird in some shots but the animation is beautiful and the songs are wonderful.
Starion
Anniversary Edition

Post by Starion »

I want to buy the Little Mermaid Platinum Edition when it comes out. :)
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

I revisited The Little Mermaid lately and since then, it's become my favourite Disney movie! It's a fun filled fairy tale with lots of heart and romance. Definetely a classic. I'm going to be first in line for the DVD when it comes out, don't you forget!
Jack
Collector's Edition

Post by Jack »

I was about to type up my thoughts on this wonderful movie until I realized I already did it in my DVD review! :lol:

http://www.ultimatedisney.com/littlemermaid.html
Disney Guru
Platinum Edition

Little Mermaid DVD

Post by Disney Guru »

Yeah this is a great movie, I didn't actually own a DVD player until 2003 so I missed out a lot on some of these releases. But this is one I would have deffinatelly loved to own. But now with the LIttle Mermaid DVD a majority of the copies on E-Bay are Bootlegs. But this is one of my all time favorite Disney Animated Shows ever. And I have 2 VHS of it. I have the Banned Black Diamond Edition, and the Masterpiece VHS Edition.
"I have this tremendous energy. I just loved and love life. I love it today. I never want to die."
~Jayne Meadows Allen~
ichabod
Diamond Edition

Re: Little Mermaid DVD

Post by ichabod »

This is one of only 2 animated Disney movies i have never seen! (The other being Make Mine Music, I'm holding out for an uncensored version). I am really desperate to see it!
Disney Guru wrote:I have the Banned Black Diamond Edition.
Why was it banned?
Jack
Collector's Edition

Re: Little Mermaid DVD

Post by Jack »

ichabod wrote:Why was it banned?
There was, shall we say, a "weiner" on the cover.
http://snopes.com/disney/films/mermaid.htm

The video wasn't really banned. The artwork was just altered on later copies.
ichabod
Diamond Edition

Post by ichabod »

Oh OK, I knew about that, i thought it was perhaps something to do with the content that i had not heard about!