Alan Menken News & Discussion

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

Disney Duster wrote:
SWillie! wrote:Does it matter what his religion is?
Does anything on this forum matter? I say yes. Geeze I'm just discussing something.
I wasn't saying it like that, I was just honestly wondering if anyone really cares what his religion is. It's his music that matters, in my opinion. You seemed disappointed to hear that he might not be a devout Christian. You say his religion does matter... does that mean you wouldn't like his music as much if he were an atheist or a buddhist or something else?

I don't really understand the connection between Disney and Christianity you made either, because the company is made up of the biggest diverse group of people you'll ever find in a company, from all different religions. Sure, they've made some films that have Christian ideas in them, but they've also made films that have references to other religions as well.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

Come on man. Knowing certain things about people will always effect how you feel about them and their work. In this case, no, him being Jewish doesn't make me think anything very different about him or his work at all.

But Disney has a super Christian reputation. Just...it does. And that includes the kind of people who are attracted to Disney. This forum may be an exception because I'm talking about the general people not hardcore fans who spend so much time on a forum.
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

Disney Duster wrote:But Disney has a super Christian reputation. Just...it does.
Can you elaborate on this? Because I really don't get that connection.
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

If anything, Christians are notorious for attacking Disney as an evil, anti-Christian company, because they supposedly promote pagan religions through their depictions of magic, sorcery, witchcraft, etc. in their entertainment.

Just try typing out both "Christians" and "Disney" in an online search and see all the crazy crap that comes up. My personal favorite point? "Mice in the Old Testament are unclean animals Leviticus 11: 29 and Isaiah 66:17. The enemy has created the image of an unclean animal as the symbol for happiness."

Hence, Mickey Mouse is an evil, anti-Christian symbol. Gotta love that. :mickeyface:
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

enigmawing wrote:If anything, Christians are notorious for attacking Disney as an evil, anti-Christian company, because they supposedly promote pagan religions through their depictions of magic, sorcery, witchcraft, etc. in their entertainment.
I'd also be inclined to say that those critics are well and truly thorough-bred fundamentalists, so I wouldn't associate most Christian Disney fans as that. I know that a lot of mainstream Christians admire Disney for promoting positive values. Regardless, I wouldn't class such traits as being exclusive to Christianity; the diversity within Disney fandom is a testament to this.

Anyway, let me also remind others that a religion thread exists elsewhere, and now may be a good time to get back onto the subject of Alan Menken. I'm sure he wouldn't enjoy reading a thread about him turning into some never-ending religious discussion.

EDIT: And I just found something that is indeed related to Alan Menken! Well, perhaps more to Howard Ashman, but somebody on YouTube has posted some demos for The Little Mermaid, Aladdin and Beauty and the Beast featuring vocals from both collaborators. Particularly interesting is an extended version of "Arabian Nights", as well as some deleted songs. The account holder has some other interesting Disney song videos up as well (such as an extended "Legend of the Sword in the Stone" song from The Sword in the Stone and several unused Pinocchio songs):

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZVLTpKmOvnE" frameborder="0"></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CU1x7yPRwGk" frameborder="0"></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/H2eq7PvJpqk" frameborder="0"></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Jk66Rb4mN-0" frameborder="0"></iframe>
Last edited by Wonderlicious on Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

It was not turning into that. Don't make a bigger deal out of this than it was. Things come up in thread all the time. What is with the off-topic nazism. Whatever, I think that Disney is really really popular with Christians starting all the way back to Snow White praying. If you don't think so, fine, so you haven't heard and seen or noticed all I have.
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

Disney Duster wrote:It was not turning into that. Don't make a bigger deal out of this than it was. Things come up in thread all the time. What is with the off-topic nazism. Whatever, I think that Disney is really really popular with Christians starting all the way back to Snow White praying. If you don't think so, fine, so you haven't heard and seen or noticed all I have.
Well, yes, that is certainly true... but that doesn't give Disney a "Christian reputation." I understand that, being a Christian, you will obviously be more inclined to see the Christian references, just as I have. But that doesn't mean that the company is a Christian company. I think it's best not to give the company a religion like that, as it would push others away.
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

Wonderlicious wrote:I'd also be inclined to say that those critics are well and truly thorough-bred fundamentalists, so I wouldn't associate most Christian Disney fans as that. I know that a lot of mainstream Christians admire Disney for promoting positive values. Regardless, I wouldn't class such traits as being exclusive to Christianity; the diversity within Disney fandom is a testament to this.
I was just responding to Duster's opinion that Disney has a "super Christian reputation," which I haven't noticed much of outside of Walt's lifetime (i.e. Johnny Appleseed, Ave Maria, Trees). Not saying that all Christians are as critical as the extremists I just mentioned, it's just that the very first association that comes to my mind when involving Christianity and Disney is extremely negative. This has to do with personal observations I made growing up in the Midwest U.S., a subject which is not appropriate for further discussion in a thread such as this.
Wonderlicious wrote:Anyway, let me also remind others that a religion thread exists elsewhere, and now may be a good time to get back onto the subject of Alan Menken. I'm sure he wouldn't enjoy reading a thread about him turning into some never-ending religious discussion.
Despite wanting to get one final word in, I agree. I don't believe this thread is out of hand yet, but it might well be on its way. Maybe we could have a thread specifically for discussing religious issues with Disney, but I imagine it might be a difficult thread to keep open. In the meantime, if anyone is uncomfortable with the direction of this discussion they should be contacting a mod/admin.
SWillie! wrote:I think it's best not to give the company a religion like that, as it would push others away.
Agreed. :)

Duster, are you feeling ok? You've seemed to be on the aggressive side lately with your posts in this section of the forum. :(
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

SWillie! wrote:Well, yes, that is certainly true... but that doesn't give Disney a "Christian reputation." I understand that, being a Christian, you will obviously be more inclined to see the Christian references, just as I have. But that doesn't mean that the company is a Christian company. I think it's best not to give the company a religion like that
I wasn't trying to. I was just observing. I would talk about this more but the off-topic nazis will be at me. >: P
enigmawing wrote:Duster, are you feeling ok? You've seemed to be on the aggressive side lately with your posts in this section of the forum. :(
Wow are you kind. I'd say I'm fine. I'm gonna answer your pm too.
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

Funny enough, Walt Disney himself wasn't really that devout of a Christian either. Yes, he came from a Christian family, but he himself wasn't as much into Christianity as one thought he was. I learned about this when doing my research paper on Walt Disney for school which was interesting read. It was interesting to learn about. He encourage his daughters to go and believe what ever they feel they wanted to believe. He never really implicate any Christian values on anyone.

If I had to guess why there is a lot of Christian themes in Disney, it's because America is predominately Christian by population and they the audience would understand and associate with the Disney movie much easier and closer when a Christian theme or metaphor is implicated in the movie rather than say something from Buddhism.

This is also why most of his animated movies were adaption from existing stories like fairytale or novels. Because the audiences know the story and make it easier for the audience to watch the movie. This is why, outside of Fantasia (which didn't do well in box office anyway), Walt didn't make any "original" movies. I learn this in History of Cartooning also.
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

Wondy, thanks for posting those demos! I've heard the Under the Sea one somewhere, but none of the others. I wish they would release all of this stuff on the official soundtracks.
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

SWillie! wrote:Wondy, thanks for posting those demos! I've heard the Under the Sea one somewhere, but none of the others. I wish they would release all of this stuff on the official soundtracks.
Are you familiar with this box set? :)
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

enigmawing wrote:
SWillie! wrote:Wondy, thanks for posting those demos! I've heard the Under the Sea one somewhere, but none of the others. I wish they would release all of this stuff on the official soundtracks.
What?! No!! Hahaha... I should be though!
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

SWillie! wrote:What?! No!! Hahaha... I should be though!
LOL! I picked up the set at a Musicland in Chicago back in 1994-95 for around $50 . . . on cassette. :lol: I eventually replaced it with the CD's much cheaper online though long after I lost the book from the original set (the book is itself is pretty nice).

It's really worth picking up. :) In fact, I left my second set behind when I moved and wouldn't mind replacing it again. :oops:
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Chris, that's pretty cool info. Except, I feel Lady and the Tramp is really original, so I don't know if I believe all of that, not that I necessarily would anyway. But if it is true, all it really says is he'd be the kind of Christian I would be. Before you go saying how in the heck is that true, just...I'd like to be kinda like that, encouraging people but letting them go at the same time. Nevermind, just, can't talk about it here.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Alan Menken has been nominated for a Tony for Best Score for Newsies. :clap:

Newsies received 8 nominations in total, including Best Musical. Leap of Faith gained only 1 nomination for Best Musical which I think was unfair. It should at least have been nominated for Best Score. This is the fourth time Menken has been nominated for a Tony but he hasn't won yet. Hopefully, he'll get it this year.

Here's what Alan Menken said upon the announcement of the nominations:
Alan Menken wrote:I’m feeling generally very good. I’m blessed that I have two musicals [Newsies and Leap of Faith] nominated for best musical. I’m really blessed that Newsies has eight nominations; a little sad that my Leap score with my great collaborator Glenn Slater was omitted, but that's the way it goes. Nobody would’ve ever predicted that Newsies would be in this place. Newsies was sort of the adorable problem child that just sort of dropped out of school and, I don’t know, went to live in a cave somewhere. You know, Newsies was gone, and I would occasionally play songs from it at a benefit or something, and I’d go, aww, that’s sweet, they remember Newsies. I’m thrilled about the Best Score nomination. I’m so happy about Newsies. Newsies is just the gift that keeps giving. Mostly I’m happy to be associated with all the people I’m associated with on all the shows I’m doing [including Sister Act]. It’s a day where I just appreciate those people so much.
Source: http://www.broadway.com/buzz/161603/ton ... lem-child/
Last edited by Sotiris on Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

How do you say 'Sister Act' in French?
http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/theater/h ... IuvdPQL44M

Screen to stage
http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/12/16/3 ... stage.html

Alan Menken's musical 'Sister Act' pays homage to disco divas
http://www.tampabay.com/features/perfor ... 264959.ece

New ‘Sister Act’ moves to disco
http://bostonglobe.com/arts/theater-art ... story.html

'Sister Act' composer Alan Menken finds nuns to be intriguing habit
http://www.jsonline.com/entertainment/a ... 06941.html

A funky, disco-driven ‘Sister Act’ comes to Shea’s
http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... 19464/1031

6/25-30: 'Sister Act' at ASU Gammage in Tempe
http://www.azcentral.com/thingstodo/art ... tempe.html
Last edited by Sotiris on Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:54 pm, edited 7 times in total.
tu
Gold Classic Collection

Post by tu »

enigmawing wrote:
http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Sings-Ashm ... 632&sr=1-1

this is also a very good collection,check it out if you are interested in Howard's demo recordings!
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Ha! I actually bought that a few months ago at a local used media store. It was priced as 19.99, and I bought it on a half-off day. $10 for this, and it was a chance find. Well, I waited a few weeks, but it was still there.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Alan Menken talks for the first time about being bullied in high school.
Alan Menken wrote:I was a shrimpy kid and kind of a nerd. I was concert master of the school orchestra, and president of the chess club. I got beat up more than I care to remember.
Source: http://newyork.newsday.com/entertainmen ... -1.3760109
Last edited by Sotiris on Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.