Disney Blu Ray : Diamond Edition, current and future plan

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
merbass
Gold Classic Collection

Disney Blu Ray : Diamond Edition, current and future plan

Post by merbass »

I see different threads talking about each BD, so I would like to make a thread that discuss the BD Diamond edition in general. In case you want to discuss the current / future plan, or even the wishful titles then it is easier to read through.

Current confirmed plan

October 2010 - Beauty and the Beast

December 2010 - Fantasia / Fantasia 2000 ???

March 2011 - Bambi

October 2011 - The Lion King

Future ?

December 2012 - Cinderella

December 2013 - The Little Mermaid
merbass
Gold Classic Collection

Post by merbass »

Announced as part of the Diamond Line

- Cinderella
- 101 Dalmations
- Peter Pan
- The Lion King
- Bambi
- The Little Mermaid
- The Jungle Book
- Lady and the Tramp

I hope Peter Pan comes out in the first quarter of the year, so we do not have to wait another year from the major release in October.

Also looking forward to other release such as Aladdin, Mulan and Pocahontas on Blu Ray as well.
rexcrk
Anniversary Edition

Post by rexcrk »

I'm sad that Aladdin isn't part of the Diamond line :(
But the thing that makes Woody special, is he'll never give up on you... ever. He'll be there for you, no matter what.
stitchje1981
Gold Classic Collection

Post by stitchje1981 »

merbass wrote:Announced as part of the Diamond Line

- Cinderella
- 101 Dalmations
- Peter Pan
- The Lion King
- Bambi
- The Little Mermaid
- The Jungle Book
- Lady and the Tramp

I hope Peter Pan comes out in the first quarter of the year, so we do not have to wait another year from the major release in October.

Also looking forward to other release such as Aladdin, Mulan and Pocahontas on Blu Ray as well.
Or Alice In Wonderland, Sleeping Beauty and The Hunchback Of Notre Dame would be great as well in Diamond
Haddad28
Limited Issue

Post by Haddad28 »

merbass wrote: Or Alice In Wonderland, Sleeping Beauty and The Hunchback Of Notre Dame would be great as well in Diamond
Sleeping Beauty is already part of the Diamond lineup. It's already been released as a blu-ray though...
stitchje1981
Gold Classic Collection

Post by stitchje1981 »

Haddad28 wrote:
merbass wrote: Or Alice In Wonderland, Sleeping Beauty and The Hunchback Of Notre Dame would be great as well in Diamond
Sleeping Beauty is already part of the Diamond lineup. It's already been released as a blu-ray though...
I know :) I already have the steelbook and regular blu ray version of it, but I didn't know it was also part of the Diamond lineup...
Sorry :)
Haddad28
Limited Issue

Post by Haddad28 »

No need to be sorry? haha.
Pinocchio's also part of the line up as well
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

As far as I know, the Diamond line-up is mostly the same as the Platinum line-up was.

It seems that the only changes are that Aladdin has been taken out, as well as Fantasia and Fantasia 2000.

Assuming it's the same release schedule, we're looking at something like this...

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs - Winter '09
Beauty and the Beast - Winter '10
Bambi - Spring '11
The Lion King - Winter '11
Lady and the Tramp - Spring '12
Cinderella - Winter '12
Peter Pan - Spring '13
The Little Mermaid - Winter '13
The Jungle Book - Spring '14
101 Dalmatians - Winter '14
Pinocchio - Spring '15
Sleeping Beauty - Winter '15

typically if it's a princess movie it'll come in the winter to pick up on merchandizing and the holiday season. I feel that in the years that don't have a princess movie, disney will make another high profile princess-related release to compensate. I feel that Aladdin might be released around the time The Lion King is, just for that reason.
MJW
Special Edition

Post by MJW »

Sleeping Beauty and Pinocchio are technically part of the Platinum Edition series, even though they were released on Blu-ray. They were the last 2 of the series.

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs was the first "official" Diamond release, followed just recently by Beauty and the Beast as the second title to earn Diamond status.

Fantasia/2000 has been listed in the first post as a Diamond with December 2010 release, but it is actually only a "Special Edition" and I believe it's being released November 30th, 2010 (in the US at least).
"If it's not Baroque, don't fix it!" - Cogsworth | My Blu-ray collection | My Studio Ghibli blog
rodis
Special Edition

Post by rodis »

It's a shame Disney movies can be watched nowadays even through YouTube.
At least before YT, you had to DOWNLOAD a movie to see it, now it's just 2 clicks and voila :(

I miss the days when you had to wait for a film to be released to go out and buy it. Too bad kids don't experience that today.
stitchje1981
Gold Classic Collection

Post by stitchje1981 »

rodis wrote:It's a shame Disney movies can be watched nowadays even through YouTube.
At least before YT, you had to DOWNLOAD a movie to see it, now it's just 2 clicks and voila :(

I miss the days when you had to wait for a film to be released to go out and buy it. Too bad kids don't experience that today.
So do I sometimes rodis!
Or before the DVD period where you just go and rent the movie, where you can choose from all the covers take it home and just watch it in your vcr with the family
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

In front of the current Phineas and Ferb: A Very Perry Christmas! DVD they show the 60th Anniversary edition of "Alice in Wondland" coming to Blu-ray and DVD in 2011. Nothing said about Diamond Edition, just 60th Anniversary Edition.

In the trailer they show some unfinished scenes and the voice over says "filled with never-before-seen extras". So I hope this does come to Blu-ray next year along with "Dumbo" which was supposed to come out this past spring and then never made it to release.

:D
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
merbass
Gold Classic Collection

Post by merbass »

Even if Sleeping Beauty and Pinocchio are not part of Diamond edition, but they are almost identical in terms of artworks, promotion and the fact they were released matter the most.

If Disney wants to keep up with this Diamond edition, they can at least make Aladdin or Pocahontas, Spring release.

Mulan and The hunchback of Notre Dame were snubbed, but these animation have huge fan base as well.

I wonder what other edition Disney could come up with after a few years, Golden edition ? How many other special features do they have in the vault to add more feature.
stitchje1981
Gold Classic Collection

Post by stitchje1981 »

merbass wrote:I wonder what other edition Disney could come up with after a few years, Golden edition ? How many other special features do they have in the vault to add more feature.
I've been thinking about this one too!
And what' ll come after Gold?
Isn't gold the ULTIMATE color of everything?
OR what I also was thinking is maybe they are using the "marriage" years for their DVD, but then again platinum comes after diamond............
Still they have a lot to choose from: cardboard, paper, iron, ivory, pearl, oak, just to name a few :lol: :lol: :lol:
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

I would make a fair guess that Disney will release The Little Mermaid on Diamond when her ride is finished / being launched at Disney Land. Disney NEVER misses a chance for cross-promotion. Hence Peter Pan being rushed to co-incide with the release of TinkerBell.
merbass
Gold Classic Collection

Post by merbass »

atlanticaunderthesea wrote:I would make a fair guess that Disney will release The Little Mermaid on Diamond when her ride is finished / being launched at Disney Land. Disney NEVER misses a chance for cross-promotion. Hence Peter Pan being rushed to co-incide with the release of TinkerBell.
You mean Peter Pan DVD ? That was an alright release. Nothing major, but better than nothing. I hope to see it on Blu Ray with propwe promotion like Snow White or Beauty.
merbass
Gold Classic Collection

Post by merbass »

stitchje1981 wrote:
merbass wrote:I wonder what other edition Disney could come up with after a few years, Golden edition ? How many other special features do they have in the vault to add more feature.
I've been thinking about this one too!
And what' ll come after Gold?
Isn't gold the ULTIMATE color of everything?
OR what I also was thinking is maybe they are using the "marriage" years for their DVD, but then again platinum comes after diamond............
Still they have a lot to choose from: cardboard, paper, iron, ivory, pearl, oak, just to name a few :lol: :lol: :lol:
After Golden, they could go to Rainbow Edition. :lol:

I'm sure the marketing department could come up with something. Jubilee edition ?
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

The Peter Pan DVD release was rushed, and not half as good as it could have been; it has the barest minimum of bonus features, and not even a new 'Making Of' is my memory serves me right ? Just a prime example of Disney mucking us about and sacrificing something that could have been an amazing release to something quite mediocre.

Well, we have already had the 'Gold Collection' ! Hercules etc are all included in this line; all 1 disc release DVDs.

Then we had the Platinum Editions. Clearly going on the precious metal theme here ...

Now they have swapped to stones. So, is there a stone more precious than a diamond ? We could be getting :

The Little Mermaid ~ Ruby Edition

Pinoccio ~ Saphire Edition

The Lady and the Tramp ~ Emerald Edition

:lol:

Or they will get rid of having a collection title all together and revert to using their silly subtitles again *cough PixiePoweredEdition cough*
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

There's no need to have some kind of elemental edition.

They could choose to label them simply as classics or masterpieces like how the VHS's were released.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

singerguy04 wrote:There's no need to have some kind of elemental edition.

They could choose to label them simply as classics or masterpieces like how the VHS's were released.
That's the point I was trying to make; there shouldnt be all these different and random editions. a simple 'Two Disc Special Edition', like they used to have in the UK (we never got the tagline 'Platinum' til later) would surfice.