Sequels, Prequels, & Midquels!

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
reyquila
Anniversary Edition

Post by reyquila »

Ahhh, somebody felt alluded!! A typical sign of weakness!!
I'll be posting my responses regularly in the appropiate thread!!

http://www.dvdizzy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19630
Last edited by reyquila on Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
WDW Trips: 1992,1997,2005,2006, 2007, 2008, 2009-10 (Disney's Port Orleans-Riverside), 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2018 and 2022.
Disneyland Trips: 2008 (Disneyland Hotel) and 2016
Disney Cruises: 2007, 2010 (Wonder) and 2012 (Dream).
My Disney Movies http://connect.collectorz.com/users/peluche/movies/view
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

reyquila wrote:Someone felt alluded!!
?
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

Not all the sequels are bad, but grouped together at the least they're very mediocre. Obviously a DTV production would never have the same shine and polish as a film intended for the big screen, but they generally just don't reach for the same wide appeal as the original classics. It especially seems a bit silly to think that you can give a 50+ year old film a sequel without anyone raising an eyebrow or two. The fact that Disney came out with so many in such a short space of time is definitely one cause of the slump that Disney's only just coming out of (or so we hope, what with the success of Tangled).
bradhig wrote:people are being consumed with hate like vadar.
Hmm...not like Vadar, more like Team Rocket. ;)

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/V4TPri39cxk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Meowth, that's right! :twisted:
Scarred4life
Anniversary Edition

Post by Scarred4life »

I really don't understand how anyone could actually like these films. They have horrible animation, they completely morph the characters into completely different people, while simultaneously lessening the impact of the original. They are horrible, horrible things, and I agree, have changed the image of Disney for the worse.
avonleastories95
Gold Classic Collection

Post by avonleastories95 »

Not only are they a pain to watch, the sequels are also a disgrace to the Disney name. True, I can forgive some that were understandable/justifiable (Fantasia, The Rescuers, Sauldos Amigos, Winnie The Pooh, Pocahontas, Kingdom Hearts, and Lady and the Tramp) however, there were some that were off of the wall unecessary (Cinderella, The Little Mermaid, All Disney movies with "and they all live happily ever after," Mulan, THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME, and THE FOX AND THE HOUND). These stories did not need a sequel to clear "loose-ends" because there were none. If Disney did not stop making sequels, we would probably have "Song of the South 2: Revenge of Bobby Driscoll's Lace Collar" by now. Also, it literally kicks Disney in the A double scribble for making such abysmal movies.
Christopher_TCUIH
Special Edition

Post by Christopher_TCUIH »

You guys don't know anything about bad movies and sequels!! Unless of course you've seen the Fast and the Furious movies. I can't even finish one, they're so boring! haha
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

Christopher_TCUIH wrote:I don't know anything about bad movies and sequels!!
I totally agree with you there.
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
Rose Dome
Special Edition

Post by Rose Dome »

Scarred4life wrote::shifty:

I like to pretend they don't exist.

I second that rotfl

With the exception of the Pooh films and An Extremely Goofy Movie, the sequels/prequels/midequels are humiliating pieces of rubbish not worth any official consideration. At best, they are on parr with the very worst of the official cannon. Lasseter inherited the company when it was in a real slump, and stopping those abominations was more than half the battle.
Disney-Fan
Platinum Edition
Location: Where it's flat and immense and the heat is intense

Post by Disney-Fan »

Christopher_TCUIH wrote:I love the Lion King II! I think I like it better than the first one.

I'm sad they stopped making sequels haha. I guess I'm just a sequel-guy.
:shock: I didn't even know people like you really existed!
Super Aurora wrote:WAT?

What does Darth Vader has to do with Disney Sequels?
I can find so many common threads between the two it's borderline frightening. The only way they differ is that Darth Vader started off good and got his redemption near the end.
"See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve." - The Joker
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

I just wish Big One would finish his sequel marathon --and not hold back one bit when reviewing them.

(Hey, you removed the blue 'grin' emoticon! Boo! Hiss!)
bradhig
Anniversary Edition

Post by bradhig »

Disney-Fan wrote:
Christopher_TCUIH wrote:I love the Lion King II! I think I like it better than the first one.

I'm sad they stopped making sequels haha. I guess I'm just a sequel-guy.
:shock: I didn't even know people like you really existed!
Super Aurora wrote:WAT?

What does Darth Vader has to do with Disney Sequels?
I can find so many common threads between the two it's borderline frightening. The only way they differ is that Darth Vader started off good and got his redemption near the end.
because all I see here is hate. I had a fanfic started a year or two ago about some Disney characters getting shot into space it would have been an eye opener when they got back. Maybe I should finish it.
Rose Dome
Special Edition

Post by Rose Dome »

Goliath wrote:
merlinjones wrote:IMHO, these overmarketed dreck-to-video WDTVA products paved the fall of Walt Disney Feature Animation - - tossing away decades of audience goodwill and trust in the quality of Disney artistic integrity, the art of animation and the unique qualities of the classic characters and storytelling. Except for the very short-term bottom line, this frown-factory initiative was a total disaster for Walt's creative legacy, irreparably changing how the former "premium brand" was perceived and experienced (see also Disney Channel).

Brilliant! I'll add my applause to that as well :clap:
Last edited by Rose Dome on Sun May 29, 2011 4:03 am, edited 4 times in total.
Disney-Fan
Platinum Edition
Location: Where it's flat and immense and the heat is intense

Post by Disney-Fan »

bradhig wrote:because all I see here is hate. I had a fanfic started a year or two ago about some Disney characters getting shot into space it would have been an eye opener when they got back. Maybe I should finish it.
Really? Where do you see hate? All I see is my opinion stated.
"See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve." - The Joker
seanjonmc
Limited Issue

Post by seanjonmc »

Wonderlicious wrote:Not all the sequels are bad, but at best they're mediocre.
Fixed.
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

Goliath wrote:I just wish Big One would finish his sequel marathon --and not hold back one bit when reviewing them.

(Hey, you removed the blue 'grin' emoticon! Boo! Hiss!)
he told me i'd be back some time in June. He hasn't forgotten yet.
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
REINIER
Anniversary Edition

Post by REINIER »

Christopher_TCUIH wrote:<b>Imagine if they really made Dumbo II! hahaha

That one actually sounds kind of ghetto but I would most likely watch it.

Whenever I think I'm not going to like a movie I end up liking it if not loving it! :lol:
</b>
I so get that :kermit:

It's like we have no shame , we just have to love it all :lol:

I must say though that Hunchback 2 made me cringe and the first thing that came to mind was...there's 1 1/2 hours I'll never get back :D

I seriously like Lion King 1 1/2+2 and would kill for another installment.
Seriously KILL :twisted:
When it comes to brains, I got the lion-share,
but when it comes to bruth strength, I'm afraid I'm at the shallow end of the gene pool
Dr Frankenollie
In The Vaults

Post by Dr Frankenollie »

Watching a Disney cheapquel is like watching Eisner urinating on Walt's grave: bland new characters, laughably bad animation, contrived plots, and unoriginal stories. However, The Lion King sequels are almost a bit superior to the other, trashier cheapquels. Almost.
Last edited by Dr Frankenollie on Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Goliath wrote: (Hey, you removed the blue 'grin' emoticon! Boo! Hiss!)
I'm glad that's gone. People over-used that thing for even the most minor of problems. Got annoying as f--k, seeing it all the effin' time.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
KubrickFan
Anniversary Edition

Post by KubrickFan »

Dr Frankenollie wrote:Watching a Disney cheapquel is like watching Eisner urinating on Walt's grave: bland new characters, laughably bad animation, contrived plots, and unoriginal stories. However, The Lion King sequels are almost a bit superior to the other, trashier cheapquels. Almost.
Surely you mean "urinating on Walt's frozen body" :D .
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

estefan wrote:
Goliath wrote: (Hey, you removed the blue 'grin' emoticon! Boo! Hiss!)
I'm glad that's gone. People over-used that thing for even the most minor of problems. Got annoying as f--k, seeing it all the effin' time.
Dude... if you wanna use those words... have the balls to use the words. Don't use the cleaned-up version. Kinda loses its impact that way; makes the use of them meaningless. (I would have placed the original smiley-with-tongue here, but sadly, it is gone.)