Sequels, Prequels, & Midquels!

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Oh, I would gladly use "fuck" (see? :wink: ), but I would rather not get a million replies about how I'm using foul language on a forum that younger eyes might look like.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Goliath wrote:
estefan wrote: I'm glad that's gone. People over-used that thing for even the most minor of problems. Got annoying as f--k, seeing it all the effin' time.
Dude... if you wanna use those words... have the balls to use the words. Don't use the cleaned-up version. Kinda loses its impact that way; makes the use of them meaningless. (I would have placed the original smiley-with-tongue here, but sadly, it is gone.)

you mean this?

And to stay on topic....I hope Pixar does not do any DTV like the Finding Corral plot or a sequel to The Incredibles arriving DTV though I think it could make for a great Cartoon Series but more serious than the Buzz Lightyear cartoon which I liked...

And Pixar's Plane Trains and Automobile DTV is already got me like this Image
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
Semaj
Anniversary Edition

Post by Semaj »

That's why they shouldn't re-release the existing sequels anymore, or show them on TV. So long as the concept is still breathing in some form, it makes it possible to be revived someday by some exec who's crazy enough to let it happen, which could severely affect Pixar if such a scenario occurred.
"OH COME ON, REALLY?!?!"
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

estefan wrote:Oh, I would gladly use "fuck" (see? :wink: ), but I would rather not get a million replies about how I'm using foul language on a forum that younger eyes might look like.
Trust me, you're not saying anything new to anyone under the age of 3 who's had an older sibling-or 5, who's heard their friends say it. Besides, I dont know any little kids who visit this site. They probably dont know it exists.

And I've said "Fuck" on this board plenty of times without being reprimanded.
Rose Dome
Special Edition

Post by Rose Dome »

Semaj wrote:That's why they shouldn't re-release the existing sequels anymore, or show them on TV. So long as the concept is still breathing in some form, it makes it possible to be revived someday by some exec who's crazy enough to let it happen, which could severely affect Pixar if such a scenario occurred.

This is a very good reason why the sequels/prequels/midequels should be euthanised. If they carry on being associated with Disney, then what's to stop a hand rubbing future CEO giving lots of new ones the green light? It could also be argued that it will help the ticket sales and DVD/Blu-Ray sales of new cannonical features, if Disney is associated with quality again. I don't bring this up to be cynical (the sentimental reasons for leaving those crimes against art to die, carry far more weight) I just hope that Lasseter has this idea, as it's objective, and companies operate on objective ideas.
toonaspie
Anniversary Edition

Post by toonaspie »

Some of them (if you watch them enough) can be warmed up to as a guilty pleasure. The ones with horridly bad animation such as THoND 2 can be just unwatchable though.

The thing is, if Disney REALLY wanted to make money off of their successful films, the sequels should've been done to canon quality as with "The Rescuers Down Under" in the first place. Making them direct-to-video done by overseas studios just makes them forgettable and it's more difficult to market and merchandise such films after their first release. Consider if some of these sequels had been done by WDFA instead of DisneyToons, these sequels could've added to the legacy of the original and would increase marketing of the films and characters ten fold. I'm not saying they should've done this for every sequel. But I imagine if sequels to recent films of say "Aladdin" and "The Lion King" had been done to canon quality (with the same people behind the originals) they still would've made the same amount of money (or even more) than having to sequel-fy every other film in the canon on a low video-release budget which would only earn the studio quick cash.

Pixar and Dreamworks have already proven with the right people behind it, a theatrical sequel can be done to quality and make long-lasting profits than a whole swarm of DTV sequels can accomplish. That's where Disney really screwed up here.
Rose Dome
Special Edition

Post by Rose Dome »

^

I agree. I'm not anti sequel, but Eisner went about making sequels in a terrible way. Greenlighting sequels to very old films caused bad results as there was a jarring contrast to their original styles, leaving the sequels to the overseas animation houses resulted in a jarring contrast to the styles WDAF gave the originals, putting them straight on the shelves, and releasing so many of them screamed "we don't care about making any effort, we just want to provide some adequate babysitting" It was a mess that lost the company alot of credibility and hence alot of money. The Princess & The Frog and Tangled did well at the box office, but they could've been absolutely phenomenal if the brandname Disney hadn't been so recently associated with lowest common denominator pork barreling as opposed to spellbinding entertainment.
Linden
Special Edition

Post by Linden »

I agree in general about Disney sequels. I just don't get why they made them. Sure, they made money in the short term, but they made the name "Disney" mean "little kids' movies" more than it had before. That said, there are a few that I like. I just watched TLK 2 a couple nights ago. I used to watch that all the time with my friend when I was younger, so I like it now because of the good memories attached to it. Plus, it is pretty good as far as sequels go, even if Simba became somewhat like King Triton.
I like:
1. The Tigger Movie
2. The Lion King II: Simba's Pride
3. Piglet's Big Movie
4. The Lion King 1 1/2
And that's pretty much it. I'm going to see some of the Disney sequels sometime or other, just to see if I'm missing out or just get really mad. 8) (Whoa, what happened to the emoticons? They're all yellow now. So much for diversity...)

As far as the TV shows go, I never really saw any of them besides the New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, which I loved. I can still sing the theme song word for word. :D Also, When I was little, I used to like watching the Princess Collection videos. I had two VHSs of Ariel's, and I really liked this one episode(?) called "Lucky," I think, about how Ariel takes in a pig-like creature who everyone believes brings bad luck. My family also owned the Jasmine Princess Collection videos for a short while (until my mom saw them, was horrified, and promptly brought them back to Costco or Fedco or wherever we bought them). Were the Princess Collection videos from the TV shows or were they a kind of DTV franchise? I never hear anyone mention them.
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

Linden wrote:(Whoa, what happened to the emoticons? They're all yellow now. So much for diversity...)
They changed them and now they suck.

Why was your mom horrified at the Jasmine video? The one sequel I thought was good, is Aladdin and the King of Thieves.
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Goliath wrote:
Linden wrote:(Whoa, what happened to the emoticons? They're all yellow now. So much for diversity...)

Why was your mom horrified at the Jasmine video? The one sequel I thought was good, is Aladdin and the King of Thieves.
I believe one of the reasons the third Aladdin was good because they got Robbin Williams back as The Genie, I mean there were jokes that went over kids heads.....Genie Gump, Mrs Genie Doubtfire, Genie Rain Man, Steamboat Genie mouse Genie Rocky Genie Thor, Genie Moses...and the 2nd one I liked it because it delt with Jafar and now he's gone but I do think if Robbin Williams was in the 2nd one as the voice for the release of it, it would be better. Genie in the 2nd Aladdin was mainly generic characters of Genie just Pop culture just a Super Hero where in the 1st Aladdin he would be a mock of Superman instead Genie hero.....

Is that a record on UD forums for using the name Genie in one post?? :thumb:

And I always thought this would be a good movie but it's a game...I still have it...I'll have to play it sometime, I think I might just watch the cutscenes on youtube if they are there to see the ending if I get to lazy
Last edited by disneyboy20022 on Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

The animation for the 3rd Aladdin was also infinitly better than the awfulness that's Return of Jafar.
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Goliath wrote:The animation for the 3rd Aladdin was also infinitly better than the awfulness that's Return of Jafar.
Ironic...it's usually the Third DTV Disney Movie that is good....Cinderella III, , Aladdin 3, although I consider the sequels of the Lion King to be very good and I think it's better animation...although the number 3 didn't work out for Belle's Magical World....that movie makes Return of Jafar look like a masterpiece. Also I think Return of Jafar was and introduction of the Aladdin tv series which I need to watch which I think is on youtube....really neat villains came out of that...and a Hercules crossover with Aladdin....it's good....Hades getting annoyed by Jafar's crazy evil laugh

Linden
Special Edition

Post by Linden »

Goliath wrote:

Because she's weird. :wink: No, actually it's because she didn't like the way magic was used in it. She had the same problem with the original Aladdin movie, as well, which would explain why I never saw the whole thing until a few years ago when the Disney bug bit me.

I've never seen any of the Aladdin sequels. I'll have to give them a chance next time I see some. I haven't seen most sequels, actually. I'm picking them up as I go along. Next on my list is Mulan II, which I saw when it first came out and got upset about. So, I'm not expecting to like it at all, but at least I can get mad at it.

No one knows about the Princess Collection?
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

how come my post got deleted??
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
Linden
Special Edition

Post by Linden »

Super Aurora wrote:how come my post got deleted??
Your "wimmin" post? I don't know. I mean it was idiotic, but I figured it was too stupid to reply to and that everyone else would too. :wink:
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

Linden wrote:
Super Aurora wrote:how come my post got deleted??
Your "wimmin" post? I don't know. I mean it was idiotic, but I figured it was too stupid to reply to and that everyone else would too. :wink:
no I was referring to a post about the emoticon goliath and Disneyboy20022 were talking about as well as the aladdin game Disneyboy20022 mention.

besides, that "wimmin" post is still up and in a different thread, as well as a joke.
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Super Aurora wrote:
Linden wrote: Your "wimmin" post? I don't know. I mean it was idiotic, but I figured it was too stupid to reply to and that everyone else would too. :wink:
no I was referring to a post about the emoticon goliath and Disneyboy20022 were talking about as well as the aladdin game Disneyboy20022 mention.

besides, that "wimmin" post is still up and in a different thread, as well as a joke.
Contact Luke or ask a mod or perhaps post again? maybe it accidentally got deleted or for some reason the post you are referring to didn't get posted...

Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

Ah forget it. Basically I was saying how that Aladdin game is hard as fuck. And to Goliath that even old emoticon of UD were sucky. I brought in the good ones.
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

I just want to say that I am not at all a fan of DTV sequels. Yes, I have rented and seen some of the DTV sequels like The Return of Jafar, Lady and the Tramp 2 and the Lilo & Stitch movies, but I do not intend on owning any of them due to the inferior stories and animation which is why I usually try to AVOID them. To be honest, I have never really made it through most of the DTV movies I saw. That is just my opinion, though.
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

Linden wrote:No one knows about the Princess Collection?
Oh, I do, I do! Jasmine's "The Greatest Treasure" was one of my favorites growing up - I wasn't much keen on any of the Ariel videos.

As a reminder:
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kQnZB0XgeMM" frameborder="0"></iframe>

:D