Is D23 worth joining?

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
jade
Gold Classic Collection

Is D23 worth joining?

Post by jade »

I'm not very familar with it, but i do hear it mentioned quite abit. I took a look at it tonight but it didn't jump out at me.

Is it worth joining?

What are the best perks?

Any details on your experiences would be appreciated!
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

I only joined D23 to get the magazine which is excellent. I know I could get the magazine itself either through the Disney Store website or amazon, but it's less hassle (to me) to just join the freakin' thing. I live far away from most events (NJ as opposed to CA or FL), so that aspect wasn't a factor for me.
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

carolinakid wrote:I only joined D23 to get the magazine which is excellent. I know I could get the magazine itself either through the Disney Store website or amazon, but it's less hassle (to me) to just join the freakin' thing. I live far away from most events (NJ as opposed to CA or FL), so that aspect wasn't a factor for me.
Yep Pretty Much I only joined for the magazine too. Also for the bonus items they send as well.
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
jade
Gold Classic Collection

Post by jade »

disneyboy20022 wrote:
carolinakid wrote:I only joined D23 to get the magazine which is excellent. I know I could get the magazine itself either through the Disney Store website or amazon, but it's less hassle (to me) to just join the freakin' thing. I live far away from most events (NJ as opposed to CA or FL), so that aspect wasn't a factor for me.
Yep Pretty Much I only joined for the magazine too. Also for the bonus items they send as well.
What kind've bonus items do they give out with the mag?
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

Agreed. The biggest part for me is the magazine, which is VERY nice. Well worth the price paid. The bonus goodies are great too - this past issue it was a full calendar with concept art from the first 50 DACs and some wreck-it Ralph window clings. In the past there has been a reproduction cel of Snow White, a hardcover sketchbook with bandleader Mickey on the front... Lots of littler stuff like stickers and whatnot. I say if you have 60 or 70 bucks or whatever it is to spend, it's worth the money spent.

I haven't been able to go to any of the d23 events, but I imagine those certainly add to the membership quite a bit.
SillySymphony
Gold Classic Collection

Post by SillySymphony »

I bought a membership in Dec 2009, the Charter Year. As already shared the magazine is what ultimately persuaded me to join. I like it overall. All the issues I've read have been made with genuine care. Silly me I also thought I would use my D23 card to get lots of discounts on my 2010 Disneyland trip...but I didn't. For varied reasons (location, negatives outweighing positives) I chose not to renew my membership in Dec 2010 and consequently lost my "Charter member" status.
Fast forward to July 2012. I'm going to escape to Disneyland in August so I decide to renew with a Silver membership (no magazine.) This time around I signed up just for the sweet 23-month calendar and discounts, which I was able to take advantage of. By the way, I was so close in attending an event, but it didn't fall into place.

Anyway, unless tickets for the D23 Expo fall into my lap, I don't plan on renewing. Why not?
1) I'm able to get the magazine at CARRS/Safeway. 2) By the time the fan emails are sent out I already know what they're reporting on. 3) I can't get to any events or meet-ups. 4) I'm not an avid collector, so the exclusive D23 Boutique doesn't charm me. 5) I'm not interested in the varied online offers.
The perks for Alaska members don't stack up to much. Right now I essentially own it just for the bragging rights.
theCat'sOut/Flowers&Trees/theFlyingMouse/theSkeletonDance/theThreeLittlePigs
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

jade wrote:
disneyboy20022 wrote: Yep Pretty Much I only joined for the magazine too. Also for the bonus items they send as well.
What kind've bonus items do they give out with the mag?
Here are some pictures I found on Google

23 Month Calender with Concept to classic art

Another Calender with rare unreleased material

Several differ Disney Land Patches

Several Differ Avengers Patches.

And a Wreck It Ralph Window sticker.
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
Maerj
Collector's Edition

Post by Maerj »

I always thought that it was too expensive for what it is. Its great that they have events at the parks, but as others have said, the majority of us do not live near a Disney park. They should have events at local levels, tie them into local Disney stores.

I still prob won't join due to finances. If they start giving out Star Wars stuff in the future, then I may have to reconsider. he heheh he!