The Ringmaster from "Dumbo": a villain?

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Big Disney Fan
Platinum Edition

The Ringmaster from "Dumbo": a villain?

Post by Big Disney Fan »

I bring this topic up because I really don't think the Ringmaster from "Dumbo" is a villain, in the traditional sense. He was just trying to find a place for Dumbo (and in fact, it was Timothy Mouse's convincing which gave him those ideas), and while he did lock up Mrs. Jumbo, he didn't do so out of spite, she was just giving the boys what for because they picked on her child, and the Ringmaster had no choice but to lock her up. Basically, it's nothing personal, he just had a job to do.
Dr Frankenollie
In The Vaults

Post by Dr Frankenollie »

-
Last edited by Dr Frankenollie on Wed May 22, 2019 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Semaj
Anniversary Edition

Post by Semaj »

Dumbo doesn't seem to have any real villians, as even Frank & Ollie agreed in their villains book.

The elephants, while never understanding Mrs. Jumbo's challenge as a mother protecting her baby, only gave her a hard time, because none of them appeared to have any prospects of motherhood, and were instead more concerned with their own business. They weren't really out to ruin anyone's life.

Even the crows, who initially taunt Dumbo's handicap eventually come around to help him discover and succeed with his talent, and in the process didn't call as much attention to their stereotyping like most miscellaneous cartoon characters often did at the time.
"OH COME ON, REALLY?!?!"
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Semaj wrote: The elephants, while never understanding Mrs. Jumbo's challenge as a mother protecting her baby, only gave her a hard time, because none of them appeared to have any prospects of motherhood, and were instead more concerned with their own business. They weren't really out to ruin anyone's life.
That's true. Although they did intend to outcast Dumbo, which was an outright villainous act.

I agree with Dr. Frankenollie about the elephants though. They're depressing because they are very realistic. These type of people cause a lot of pain and problems in society, whether that was their conscious intention or not.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:
Semaj wrote: The elephants, while never understanding Mrs. Jumbo's challenge as a mother protecting her baby, only gave her a hard time, because none of them appeared to have any prospects of motherhood, and were instead more concerned with their own business. They weren't really out to ruin anyone's life.
That's true. Although they did intend to outcast Dumbo, which was an outright villainous act.

I agree with Dr. Frankenollie about the elephants though. They're depressing because they are very realistic. These type of people cause a lot of pain and problems in society, whether that was their conscious intention or not.

Disney I guess considers him a villain, though I wouldn't call him a villian, maybe jerks, such as the Elephants dissing Dumbo and his mother. Although, I believe the gossiping Elephants were the inspiration for this talk show.

Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
Disney's Divinity

disneyboy20022 wrote: http://www.cdaccess.com/jpg/shared/fron ... llains.jpg

Disney I guess considers him a villain, though I wouldn't call him a villian, maybe jerks, such as the Elephants dissing Dumbo and his mother.
Yeah, I played that game as a child. :P I remember thinking they should've come up with someone a lot better than the Ringmaster. Although I did like the part of the game where you help find Alice's head. :lol:
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:

Disney I guess considers him a villain, though I wouldn't call him a villian, maybe jerks, such as the Elephants dissing Dumbo and his mother.
Yeah, I played that game as a child. :P I remember thinking they should've come up with someone a lot better than the Ringmaster. Although I did like the part of the game where you help find Alice's head. :lol:

Alice's Head....? :huh:

Semaj
Anniversary Edition

Post by Semaj »

Disney's Divinity wrote:

???
"OH COME ON, REALLY?!?!"
Disney's Divinity

In the game, the villains take over and set the stories "right." The Queen of Hearts' happy ending is one in which Alice loses her head. :lol: You have to wander through a maze to find Alice's head so you can re-attach it to her body. It talks to you while you're in the maze so you can find it.

rotfl

It's not as creepy as it sounds.
TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Post by TsWade2 »

According to Disney wiki, he is the antagonist of the whole Dumbo movie, however, he is not mostly a villian, he's just a strict and being an arrogant asshole. It also says the true villains are the gossiping elephants. And I love that View joke by the way. :lol:
rs_milo_whatever
Anniversary Edition

Post by rs_milo_whatever »

disneyboy20022 wrote:I believe the gossiping Elephants were the inspiration for this talk show.

One of the funniest things I've seen on this site.
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:In the game, the villains take over and set the stories "right." The Queen of Hearts' happy ending is one in which Alice loses her head. :lol: You have to wander through a maze to find Alice's head so you can re-attach it to her body. It talks to you while you're in the maze so you can find it.

rotfl

Sounds creepy enough for me to stay away from it....that sounds just wrong. Alice's head talk to you and all....I mean is Alice undead, is there magic that keeps her alive, I mean when your head gets cut off, usually that tends to, well, be dead....maybe I don't want read into this much. I wonder if she could "recite Shakespearean quotations" or something. (there's a pun to another movie there in that last sentence.)

Also thanks everyone for thinking my comparison of the gossiping elephants to the ladies on The View. Mostly for thinking it was funny. (I think I'll be running for funniest forum member during the Golden Mickey Awards next year if there is one.)

Semaj
Anniversary Edition

Post by Semaj »

Disney's Divinity wrote:In the game, the villains take over and set the stories "right." The Queen of Hearts' happy ending is one in which Alice loses her head. :lol: You have to wander through a maze to find Alice's head so you can re-attach it to her body. It talks to you while you're in the maze so you can find it.

rotfl

So what about Dumbo? Was he forever separated from his mother and forced to be a clown's clown?
"OH COME ON, REALLY?!?!"
Disney's Divinity

Yes, I think so. That’s why having the Ringmaster in that game was even more bizarre; didn’t he profit from having a miraculously flying elephant?
Semaj
Anniversary Edition

Post by Semaj »

Looking at the game's Wiki page, there were plenty of other villain stories they could've chosen from. Lady Tremaine could've prevented Cinderella from marrying the Prince, or Cruella could've gotten that extra fur coat.
"OH COME ON, REALLY?!?!"
Big Disney Fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Big Disney Fan »

Semaj wrote:Looking at the game's Wiki page, there were plenty of other villain stories they could've chosen from. Lady Tremaine could've prevented Cinderella from marrying the Prince, or Cruella could've gotten that extra fur coat.
Or maybe Stromboli could've kept Pinocchio locked up.
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

Villains Revenge! Oh the nostalgia..., but yes the Alice head thing wasn't really gory, just odd looking.

I also think it's time someone re-dubbed View clips with audio from Dumbo.
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

We should TOTALLY make a fanfic type thread where we all name villains who should be featured in a Deluxe re-do of the game plus all the interesting quasi-new scenarios possible to cook up for them.
4 Disney Atmosphere Images
littlefuzzy
Anniversary Edition

Post by littlefuzzy »

Is it just me, or does the Ringmaster (I think) and the Queen of Hearts on that game cover look like they are reused animation?

Actually looking at all the faces on that cover, the eyes and eyebrows are very similar. Is that the standard Disney "Villain" look? If so, does that mean that the Ringmaster was drawn as a villain from the beginning?

I haven't seen Dumbo in a while, so I can't recall how he looked in the film.
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

littlefuzzy wrote:Is it just me, or does the Ringmaster (I think) and the Queen of Hearts on that game cover look like they are reused animation
Just the anal jerk in me coming out here, but... the cover is just a still picture, and so it can't be reused "animation". I'm sure it is just clip art though that has been used on a million different pieces of merchandise.