Glen Keane Moving to DreamWorks?

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Anonymous wrote:Glen isn't going to Dreamworks in the fall. Whatever rumors you hear aren't substantiated.
Source: http://animationguildblog.blogspot.com/ ... going.html
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

Good news! So I've heard this rumor of Glen working in the old animation building on the main lot a few times now over the past few weeks, but this post on "50 Most Influential Disney Animators" is the first to kind of explain what's going on a little more. Still not sure where this kid get his information from, but he seems legit.

http://50mostinfluentialdisneyanimators ... len-keane/
50MostInfluential wrote:In March 2011 there were even rumors that Keane was on the verge of leaving Disney and accepting an offer by Jeffry Katzenberg to work for DreamWorks. Around the same time fellow animators began to believe that the animator was going to retire to pursue his lifelong dream of working in fine art. However Glen chose to stay with Disney but his office was moved from the Hat Building to the main lot, where he got to return to his old office in the old animation building. Now he is working in his old office and is developing two ideas for very personal animated films.
So, it would seem that Glen is definitely staying at Disney for now. What seems weird is... if he really is on the main lot now, doesn't the separation between him and all the other artists have to be pretty inconvenient? I mean, I know it's right across the street, but it seems strange. Although I'm sure Glen loves it and I hope he's happy with whatever deal they worked out.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

I came across the following post a while ago but didn't give any thought into it at the time. It confirms the blogger's report you've posted that Glen has stayed with Disney and is occupying an office on the first floor of the old animation building.

Here it is:
Steve Hulett wrote:Disney animation leaves the Disney lot. Again. (And let me stipulate here that I'm talking here about the original Disney lot in Burbank, the real estate that is bounded by Alameda Avenue, Buena Vista Street, Riverside Drive and Keystone Street). The feature animation unit cleared out of the Animation Building in 1985 and 1986. When the Frank Wells Building was constructed a decade later, Disney Television Animation occupied multiple floors...

There are now a couple of Disney TVA shows left in the building: Tron and Phineas and Ferb. But as of Monday next, those productions will be created elsewhere, and lawyers answering to Richard Ross will be inhabitants of the Wells space. And thus, no more animation at the old stand. Kind of sad. For the second time.
Anonymous #1: Walt Disney Animation Studios is still there. And while not technically "on the lot," they are simply across the street and have all-access to the lot.

Anonymous #2: It's sad. The studio in Burbank where dozens of animated classics were created isn't doing animation anymore.

Anonymous #3: Well, that's technically not true. There's still an animator occupying an office in the old Animation building...

Anonymous #4: I don't think Glen is doing a lot of animating.

Anonymous #5: Also, not true...

Anonymous #6: Since there are no hand-drawn shorts or features currently in production, then yes it's true.

Anonymous #7: Just because something isn't in production, it doesn't mean Glen isn't animating. So, I'm right.

Anonymous #8: Animation tests do not really count.

Anonymous #9: You really don't know what you're talking about, do you? If you don't know what he's doing, I'm not going to spill the beans here.

Anonymous #10: Glen on the 1st floor and Don Hahn on the 3rd...if Ron & John show up, I'd start thinking take-over!
Source: http://animationguildblog.blogspot.com/ ... y-lot.html
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

How great would it be if they all came full circle and animation started being done again in the ANIMATION building. I would love that so much.
disneyfella
Anniversary Edition

Post by disneyfella »

As wonderful as that idea is (and believe me it would be incredibly exciting news), the old animation building is full of independant production offices that are NOT even related to Disney productions. Hipster twenty-something year old kids in T-shirts are sitting behind IKEA desks answering phone calls and emails in offices that once belonged to Ken Anderson and Milt Kahl; where creativity brimmed through the halls. Most of the people who work in that building today have never heard of a 'package feature' and have probably never seen "Fantasia"..

There is at least one humbly quiet artist who has snuck back into the old animation building. He is soaking up the peace and quiet away from test market corporate supervision and perhaps is finding inspiration in some hallowed ground where half of "The Jungle Book" was animated....There is an office light on down some long empty hallway. He is probably the envy of most of the animators from the Disney Rennaissance.
"It's Kind Of Fun To Do The Impossible"
- Walt Disney

Semaj
Anniversary Edition

Post by Semaj »

If we're gonna get technical, that 1940 facility that's being mentioned is NOT the original animation building, as in, not the one where Disney was first established, not the one where Walt created Steamboat Willie or The Skeleton Dance, and definitely not the one where Walt created Snow White.

It was their longest-used animation building (1940-1986), but not original.

As for Keane, I'm very glad he's staying at Disney. But I hope his seclusion from the rest of the animation group doesn't have to do with his heart condition.
"OH COME ON, REALLY?!?!"