Glen Keane Moving to DreamWorks?

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

DisneyAnimation88 wrote:Has there actually been any kind of confirmation that King of the Elves is going to be CG? There seems to be conflicting reports on this on various blogs and websites so it looks like no one is entirely sure how the film will be animated.
No, King of the Elves being hand-drawn was just an old rumour posted first at Progress City, USA when the project was revived. This has been debunked by Steve Hulett of the TAG blog who is the animation union rep and visits the studio regularly and confirmed that film will be done in CGI.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyAnimation88 »

Ok, thanks for the information. Even if that's the case, hopefully Disney have plans for more hand-drawn projects.
We're not going to Guam, are we?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

DisneyAnimation88 wrote:Even if that's the case, hopefully Disney have plans for more hand-drawn projects.
You and me both! :wink: Unfortunately, the future of hand-drawn animation at Disney looks very gloom.
toonaspie
Anniversary Edition

Post by toonaspie »

Sotiris wrote:
DisneyAnimation88 wrote:Has there actually been any kind of confirmation that King of the Elves is going to be CG? There seems to be conflicting reports on this on various blogs and websites so it looks like no one is entirely sure how the film will be animated.
No, King of the Elves being hand-drawn was just an old rumour posted first at Progress City, USA when the project was revived. This has been debunked by Steve Hulett of the TAG blog who is the animation union rep and visits the studio regularly and confirmed that film will be done in CGI.
Oddly enough I think "King of the Elves" seems more fitting for CGI or even a live-action/CGI combo than traditional animation. But hey if they really believe they can pull it off in solely 2D, more power to them.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Sotiris wrote:
DisneyAnimation88 wrote:Even if that's the case, hopefully Disney have plans for more hand-drawn projects.
You and me both! :wink: Unfortunately, the future of hand-drawn animation at Disney looks very gloom.
Okay, I do NOT like how you're coming off about something like that. It's almost as if you're saying that 2D animation is doomed to never see the light of day again. :(
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

DisneyJedi wrote:
Sotiris wrote: You and me both! :wink: Unfortunately, the future of hand-drawn animation at Disney looks very gloom.
Okay, I do NOT like how you're coming off about something like that. It's almost as if you're saying that 2D animation is doomed to never see the light of day again. :(
DisneyJedi... you, my friend, are a lunatic.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

^Excuse me, you're not the one living every day in fear that one of the greatest animation companies will decide to ABANDON AN ANIMATION MEDIUM THAT THEY THEMSELVES PIONEERED!!!!

I'm sorry I had to yell, but you have to understand that I'm really on edge with all that's happening lately, and frankly, I don't want Disney to actually believe it's not worth it to resurrect 2D animation.
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

I hate the idea of hand-drawn animation dying as much as anyone else here, but you've gotta keep things in perspective. It won't be the end of the world if it happens, and at the very least we still have a great library of past films available from Disney as well as new kinds of films to look forward to.

Yes it's upsetting, annoying, depressing, aggravating, what have you . . . but it's simply not worth having a mental breakdown over.
KubrickFan
Anniversary Edition

Post by KubrickFan »

DisneyJedi wrote:^Excuse me, you're not the one living every day in fear that one of the greatest animation companies will decide to ABANDON AN ANIMATION MEDIUM THAT THEY THEMSELVES PIONEERED!!!!

I'm sorry I had to yell, but you have to understand that I'm really on edge with all that's happening lately, and frankly, I don't want Disney to actually believe it's not worth it to resurrect 2D animation.
You're not yelling, you're typing words in a bigger font. Unless you were also yelling while you were typing, which would make it a bit creepy.

I don't believe Disney is truly abandoning hand drawn animation. Projects were pitched, but obviously we haven't heard about those yet. I do think they should make more of an effort than giving us yet another animated musical and a Winnie the Pooh movie to make it work, but I'm positive that the folks at Disney haven't given up on it yet. Otherwise, we definitely would have heard.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

DisneyJedi wrote:^Excuse me, you're not the one living every day in fear that one of the greatest animation companies will decide to ABANDON AN ANIMATION MEDIUM THAT THEY THEMSELVES PIONEERED!!!!

Not in a mean way, but whoa, calm down. Yes, it's diappointing that KOE is 3D, but don't worry: I'm sure Disney will 2D movies in the future like John promised. After all, we do have a upcoming Mickey Mouse movie. :)
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

Haha I didn't mean to instigate, Jedi.

Besides, I do feel that Sotiris is taking a somewhat negative outlook on things based on the very little that we know. I mean, the only things we know for sure for sure are that they're working on Prep and Landing, Reboot Ralph, a few shorts, and King of the Elves. Even though Steve Hulett says King of the Elves is CG, he's been wrong before, so I wouldn't lean on that. And I'm sure I've read somewhere that Musker and Clements went back to the drawing board after Mort was cancelled. Obviously they have people working on pitches, if Burny Mattinson was working on the Mickey thing, and that was "one of" the ideas he was working on. bottom line is that we, as fans, don't know a thing as to whats going on at the hat building, so its not worth getting worked up about mere predictions.
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyAnimation88 »

The bottom line is that none of us on this forum have any idea of what to expect in the future from Disney animation. The D23 convention is coming up soon so hopefully that will tell us more than any internet blog. There is no reason to believe that hand-drawn animation is dead or that it doesn't have a future unless Disney say that that is the case.
We're not going to Guam, are we?
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

I'm sorry DisneyJedi, but your priorities in life are pretty messed up if you're living every day in fear over the possibility of Disney abandoning hand drawn animation.

There are people in the world who live in actual fear every day. Not your silly drama. It sounds pathetic.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

SWillie! wrote:Besides, I do feel that Sotiris is taking a somewhat negative outlook on things based on the very little that we know.

Being pragmatic is not being negative. I want for Disney to continue producing hand-drawn animation just like anyone else but all facts point to the contrary. Sure, there might be hand-drawn projects in development we don't know about but you can't deny that there is a lack of commitment in reviving the medium. The goal of "one hand-drawn feature every two years" was abandoned after The Princess and the Frog underperformed while the five features that we know that are currently in development are all going to be in CGI. Significant figures of hand-drawn animation have either left Disney or are contemplating doing so. Even in the "shorts" program there seems to be a preference for making CGI shorts.
SWillie! wrote:I mean, the only things we know for sure for sure are that they're working on Prep and Landing, Reboot Ralph, a few shorts, and King of the Elves.

We also know for sure, (it has been confirmed by the directors themselves) that besides Reboot Ralph and King of the Elves, they are three more CGI feature-length features in development.
SWillie! wrote:Even though Steve Hulett says King of the Elves is CG, he's been wrong before, so I wouldn't lean on that.

When was he wrong? Is there something specific you are referring to? Besides, I don't know how he could be wrong about this since he visits the studio and talks to the animators there regularly.
SWillie! wrote:Obviously they have people working on pitches, if Burny Mattinson was working on the Mickey thing, and that was "one of" the ideas he was working on.
I think that the Mickey Mouse feature has good chances in getting made. I've read that Bob Iger had asked Lasseter, when he joined Disney, to "take a look" at the Pooh and the Mickey Mouse franchise. And since that "suggestion" led into a new Pooh film, it's quite possible that a Mickey Mouse feature will follow.
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

KubrickFan wrote:You're not yelling, you're typing words in a bigger font. Unless you were also yelling while you were typing, which would make it a bit creepy.
That day, DisneyJedi just shouldn't have taken that last cup of coffee...

PatrickvD wrote:I'm sorry DisneyJedi, but your priorities in life are pretty messed up if you're living every day in fear over the possibility of Disney abandoning hand drawn animation. There are people in the world who live in actual fear every day. Not your silly drama. It sounds pathetic.
Now, now... I'm sure the future of 2D animation at Disney is also high on the list of priorities of the Libyans and Syrians these days.

You know, just below 'not getting shot dead my my government' and 'getting the fuck out of here alive'. But I'm sure it's up there somewhere.
Last edited by Goliath on Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

PatrickvD wrote:I'm sorry DisneyJedi, but your priorities in life are pretty messed up if you're living every day in fear over the possibility of Disney abandoning hand drawn animation.

There are people in the world who live in actual fear every day. Not your silly drama. It sounds pathetic.
Oh, those aren't my TRUE priorities, really. My actual priority is to get a career as an actor and, as soon as I do, be in a Disney film; specifically an animated one (preferably a hand-drawn one, not that I have a bias against CGI or anything, but... yeah). And the last thing I'd want is a dream like that shot down.

Of course, I'm really living in fear that something bad might happen to my sister since the news of five people getting shot near Coney Island in New York. BTW, she lives in New York. Not to mention my dad's fingers got crushed, and he had to be hospitalized and a bone between my grandmother's shoulder blades got hurt, and she's hurting a bit.

Sorry, but that's how my life's kind of been lately. And I am hoping both my grandma and dad will heal ASAP.
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

DisneyJedi wrote:Oh, those aren't my TRUE priorities, really. My actual priority is to get a career as an actor
If you can act as good in real life as you do on UD, you're golden.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Sotiris wrote:I think that the Mickey Mouse feature has good chances in getting made. I've read that Bob Iger had asked Lasseter, when he joined Disney, to "take a look" at the Pooh and the Mickey Mouse franchise. And since that "suggestion" led into a new Pooh film, it's quite possible that a Mickey Mouse feature will follow.
Here's an excerpt that reveals the significance of the Mickey Mouse franchise for Disney:
As Walt Disney himself said, "We should never forget that it all started with a Mouse." Binding generations together more than any other character, Mickey Mouse continues his reign as Disney's most popular character and remains the most valuable franchise in the world by a substantial margin. In fact, Mickey and his circle of friends are on track to generate $9 billion in global retail sales in fiscal year 2011. In addition to the popular Disney Junior series Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, the short-form series "Have a Laugh" and "Re-Micks" — fully restored and digitally remastered versions of classic cartoons created by Walt Disney — are presented daily on Disney Channel.
Source: https://www.disneyconsumerproducts.com/ ... 911&forPri

Since Disney's most important franchises have recently received new installments, (the Toy Story franchise with Toy Story 3 and the upcoming Toy Story Toons, the Cars franchise with Cars 2 and Cars Toons, the Disney Princess franchise with The Princess and the Frog and Tangled as well as the upcoming Disney Jr. show Sofia the First, the Disney Fairies one with the DTV film series, the Winnie the Pooh franchise with the new Winnie feature), it makes business sense that a new Mickey Mouse feature will help the franchise and boost merchandise sales since a new feature will have broader appeal and recognition than a mere preschool show.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

^Yes!! A Mickey Mouse film has to happen!
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

DisneyJedi wrote:
Oh, those aren't my TRUE priorities, really. My actual priority is to get a career as an actor and, as soon as I do, be in a Disney film; specifically an animated one (preferably a hand-drawn one, not that I have a bias against CGI or anything, but... yeah). And the last thing I'd want is a dream like that shot down.

Of course, I'm really living in fear that something bad might happen to my sister since the news of five people getting shot near Coney Island in New York. BTW, she lives in New York. Not to mention my dad's fingers got crushed, and he had to be hospitalized and a bone between my grandmother's shoulder blades got hurt, and she's hurting a bit.
Ouch, I hope she gets better! And that's my dream too! :D Well, kinda! I'm actually also thinking of becoming an director for Disney.