Glen Keane Moving to DreamWorks?

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Refael
Limited Issue

I do not believe

Post by Refael »

I do not believe
I do not even know what to write or what to say
I hope this is a temporary thing
Why not just Disney ones too collapse
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

Katzenberg is in a constant state of euphoria right now at the mere idea of this ever happening.

DisneyJedi - I think it's a good possibility of Dreamworks getting into hand-drawn again. They're doing that Shadow movie, which has hand-drawn elements. I don't think they'd hire a bunch of hand-drawn artists for just a single movie without the chance of trying their hand at another feature. Pixar will be having a go at hand-drawn soon, from what I've heard, so why not Dreamworks?

Any way this turns out, I feel like the animation industry will be completely different five years from now.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I wouldn't feel either way about this. I mean, I would like him to stay, but whatever fits his career needs is what matters.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

SWillie! wrote:
Any way this turns out, I feel like the animation industry will be completely different five years from now.

I have to agree, but it's kind of always been unstable, with some years being more then others.

If this happens, I'm not surprised. Disney has lot a lot of major talent to Dreamworks, and for good reason. A lot of the animation people I know feel DW is a better place to work at then Disney. That if you do work for "Disney," it has to be the Pixar side, NOT Walt Disney Animation Studios.

As much as I'd hate him to go, it may be better for him at DW. A close friend of mine who is in the animation biz once wrote a letter to Glen. This was a few years ago, and at the time my friend was a bit lost career wise. He has a family of five and was out of work at the time, and wondering if animation had a future for him anymore. So, he wrote to Glen, not thinking he'd write back, but in the hope anyway of getting some advice from the man.

He got back a rather long letter from Glen himself that really energized my friend and helped him not give up on animation. A lot of the things about that letter made me like Glen even more and from that, feel that he is a really nice guy. I want him to do what works best for him, and if that means leaving Disney, well, so be it. Frankly, Disney could use a few kicks in the butt! Maybe get back to being the Disney we all feel in love with originally again.
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

DisneyJedi wrote:Okay, could someone PLEASE tell me I'm not the only one worried that this could be the first of a few steps in Disney's downfall? In other words, shutting down the company forever!
Is Keane even involved with their upcoming projects. He might help animate one of the characters in Mort, but will he really be that involved with Joe Jump and King of the Elves, if he sticks around?

The main person who would be directly responsible to Disney's downfall (which I don't see happening, as the animation studio has suffered through worse times) would be John Lasseter and right now, he's practically responsible for the studio getting back on its feet and slowly making the name a well-liked brand again.

So, in conclusion, yeah, you're over-reacting again. Glen Keane is an excellent animator, but he doesn't have that much involvement with the story and in almost all animated films, that is the most important aspect.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

DisneyJedi wrote:Okay, could someone PLEASE tell me I'm not the only one worried that this could be the first of a few steps in Disney's downfall? In other words, shutting down the company forever!

AND that I'm hoping Glen will be working for Disney again?
No, you're not. :( If Glen transfers, I'll seriously hate DW for stealing one of its famous employee. its like DW is trying to shut Disney out of bussiness or something
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

How come everyone says that DreamWorks and Katzenberg are "stealing" artists and animators from Disney? They either just make offers (legally that is, unlike the way Pixar and ILM have been contacting until recently) like every other company or hire people who by themselves have applied there for work and some of them just happen to be former Disney employees.

If it's anyone fault that so much talent is leaving the studio it's Disney’s and their lack of a healthy and happy work environment, constant layoffs, very few projects in development, long hours, less creative freedom, etc. From what I am hearing from people who are actually in the industry is that DreamWorks is in fact the best studio for artists to be working for right now whether we like it or not.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Duckburger
Special Edition

Post by Duckburger »

More like Disney is trying to put Disney out of business.

I can't see how anyone can blame him for going to Dreamworks. Disney Animation seems to be a disaster to make movies for. So much interference from executives. Look at what happened to Rapunzel, I can only imagine how awful that must've been to work on for so many years. At least Dreamworks has projects that are surely going to get made, a lot of them even. They're going to release five films in 2011 and '12. Disney Animation will release one, a low-budget one at that.* It's such a mess over there, and the situation with firing virtually the entire staff after a film still hasn't changed - even with the huge success of Rapunzel. They need new management.

* I know Disney as a whole also has Pixar, that (seemingly) horrid Mars Needs Moms, Tim Burton's Frankenweenie, and Henry Sellick's production company, but I'm talking about Disney Feature Animation specifically.
Refael
Limited Issue

I did not sleep all night because of this bitter message,

Post by Refael »

I did not sleep all night because of this bitter message,
Eventually know we are fed by rumors.
Glen is not only a creative mind in these mouse is all the animation in the mouse.
Could be that this is a new journey for him and a threat to Disney company
(Let him run because he deserves to take the division hands)

Possible future becomes just as Don acorn develop a thirst for movies
Because Disney did not give him the space he needs
Look at the Don is a huge artist, Anastasia it the most impressive piece in my opinion a classic animation

What is he not a three dimensional and certainly has nothing to do in the company that releases two films a year
But they have no emotional content, very commercial and only long forgotten film collection

I just hoped we did not understand correctly and this is just a rumor, - Alwa we all make mistakes.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Sotiris wrote:How come everyone says that DreamWorks and Katzenberg are "stealing" artists and animators from Disney?
Well, its because he and Lassenter are enemies, so it has me thinking. :idea:
The_Iceflash
Anniversary Edition

Post by The_Iceflash »

Sotiris wrote: If it's anyone fault that so much talent is leaving the studio it's Disney’s and their lack of a healthy and happy work environment, constant layoffs, very few projects in development, long hours, less creative freedom, etc. From what I am hearing from people who are actually in the industry is that DreamWorks is in fact the best studio for artists to be working for right now whether we like it or not.
But is the payoff in the quality of the artists' output worth it? Most of us can agree that Dreamworks, when looking at it's entire catalog as a whole, has some serious quality control issues.
BK
Gold Classic Collection

Post by BK »

Sotiris wrote:How come everyone says that DreamWorks and Katzenberg are "stealing" artists and animators from Disney? They either just make offers (legally that is, unlike the way Pixar and ILM have been contacting until recently) like every other company or hire people who by themselves have applied there for work and some of them just happen to be former Disney employees.

If it's anyone fault that so much talent is leaving the studio it's Disney’s and their lack of a healthy and happy work environment, constant layoffs, very few projects in development, long hours, less creative freedom, etc. From what I am hearing from people who are actually in the industry is that DreamWorks is in fact the best studio for artists to be working for right now whether we like it or not.
+1

Even if Dreamworks have not exactly had quality synonymous with their name, that doesn't mean that they haven't tried. Recent efforts show a new side emerging, even if it has not matched a Pixar level or the old Disney one.

That said, they don't need to. They should have their own identity and I can't help but feel that with them recruiting more and more talent, and having the best working environment out there, their output will become better and better.

Pixar, like Disney, have not exactly been the best of employers for a long while now and they better step it up lest lose the best talent over something as petty as better wages. That said, Lasseter cannot have control over both animation studios for an indefinite amount of time. There has to be competition and also a willing workforce, a happy one will eventually produce better results than an unhappy one. So, to come full-circle to what I had said earlier, the more talent Dreamworks gets, the closer they will be to achieving top tier management, direction, training and output.

I look forward to the future.
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyAnimation88 »

If he wants to leave, let him leave. I know Glen Keane is one of the greatest animators and a true Disney legend but to me it seems that the Lasseter-led Disney is putting faith in the younger talent at the studio, Nathan Greno and Byron Howard for example, whether that's right or wrong is a matter of personal opinion. I don't think anyone at Disney would like Glen Keane to leave but if he thinks that the grass would be greener at Dreamworks then he should do whatever he thinks is in his best interests. While I understand why a lot of people would be disappointed to see him leave, other great animators like Andreas Deja and Eric Goldberg are still there so I don't believe that Glen Keane leaving would mark the beginning of the end for Disney, as has been suggested here.
We're not going to Guam, are we?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I don't think Disney will let him go. Just think of all the bad press. Glen is probably the only animator that has such a huge fan-base around the globe and his departure would definitely make headlines in major newspapers/magazines.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyAnimation88 »

I'm not so sure; if he does actually want to leave, what is the logic in forcing him to stay? As brilliant as he undoubtedly is, if he is disillusioned or unhappy at Disney then I think he should be allowed to go.
We're not going to Guam, are we?
PheR
Special Edition

Post by PheR »

Disney is still lost in my opinion, as wonderful as Tangled is, it's still a modified movie from Glen's version which could have been even better, Lasseter just didn't have the time to turn it into the movie they actually portrayed in the trailers and publicity, if they have had the time, it would have had way more comedy and a lot less Rapunzel I'm sure, of course Glen's not specially happy on how the things are going in the mouse house
I'ts enough for this restless warrior just to be with you...
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

I love how some people act like that Dreamworks kidnapped Glen and is chaining him to a desk somewhere. If he leaves, he made the choice to go. If it's anyone's fault, it's Disney's for offering the less interesting option. Yes, it'd be a shame to see him leave a company he's spent so much time with, but that's how it works. If anything, this should convince Disney to step up their game, which can only be a good thing.

And I also love how certain people here play Chicken Little with a rumor. Always makes for entertaining reads.
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

can some one write down a list of all former Disney employees that now defect to Dreamwork? I'm curious which people and how many move out. Cause other than Glen, I don't hear much from any other Disney animator/director celebrities nowadays.
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
Linden
Special Edition

Post by Linden »

Can't help you with that, Super Aurora.

I really don't want to see Glen Keane go to DreamWorks. :( He has every right to do so, if he wants, but I'd still be sad to see him go. Glen Keane pretty much IS Disney to me. What I mean is that he is one of those rare Disney employees who seem to have the same vision as the Disney of Walt's day. I can only hope that WDS will realise how it's their fault and offer Glen one heck of a deal.

Oh, and disneyprincess11, don't feel bad about the "NOOOOO" video! The movie critic guy was getting old, but that's the first Darth Vader I've seen, and I laughed out loud! It pretty much summed up my first reaction, too.
:D
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Super Aurora wrote:can some one write down a list of all former Disney employees that now defect to Dreamwork? I'm curious which people and how many move out. Cause other than Glen, I don't hear much from any other Disney animator/director celebrities nowadays.
Chris Sanders
Dean DeBlois
Brenda Chapman (though she's at Pixar now)
Mark Dindal
Gary Trousdale
Bonnie Arnold
Karey Kirkpatrick
Will Finn

Those are the first that come to mind, anyway. There are probably more.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland