Mini Adventures of Winnie the Pooh

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Mini Adventures of Winnie the Pooh

Post by Sotiris »

Disney Channel in September will introduce “The Mini Adventures of Winnie the Pooh,” a series made up of clips from “Honey Tree” and other old movies.
Source: https://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/15/busi ... -pooh.html
Given the success of Disney's "Have a Laugh!" program, Dave and his team are now taking the same sort of approach to the Winnie the Pooh featurettes from the 1960s. Taking the original films and then pulling out two-and-three minute-long standalone vignettes. Which - thanks to new music & vocal tracks - are made to be more in the style & tone of the Studio's recently released full-length "Winnie the Pooh" animated feature.

"There's a lot of genuinely charming stuff that was done for 'The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh,' " Dave stated. "And just like we did with the classic animated shorts with our 'Have a Laugh!' program, we're hoping that these new 'Mini-adventures of Winnie the Pooh' will then make this material available & accessible for a whole new generation of Disney fans."

So when you think of Disney's "Have a Laugh!" and "The Mini-adventures of Winnie the Pooh" initiatives, please don't lump these efforts in with stuff like DTV (i.e. where the Studio would first take a piece of contemporary music and then just randomly drop in pieces of animation that had been cut from Disney's shorts and animated features. With the idea that this footage would then provide appropriate imagery to back up that song's lyrics).

No, in the case of "Have a Laugh!" and "Mini-adventures," the appropriate imagery is that Dave Bossert and his crew in Walt Disney Animation Studio's Special Projects unit are like skilled diamond cutters. Taking the Company's crown jewels and - by carefully cutting & then placing them in brand-new settings - allowing these films & characters to get out in front of audiences of today. Where they can shine once more.
Source: http://jimhillmedia.com/editor_in_chief ... ences.aspx

Source: https://disneylife.com/uk/view/mini-adv ... e-the-pooh
Last edited by Sotiris on Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Semaj
Anniversary Edition

Post by Semaj »

"OH COME ON, REALLY?!?!"
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

Sounds like it could be a good idea. Although I think the "new vocal track" is unnecessary.
MJW
Special Edition

Post by MJW »

SWillie! wrote:Although I think the "new vocal track" is unnecessary.
I agree and I think that that issue is a slippery slope. How long until they deem that their classic animated features need new vocal tracks, too?

I can see it now...

"Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs - Kryptonite Edition...now featuring remixed, beat-drivin club anthems and the singing voice of Emily Osment as Snow White!"

Just kidding! :lol:
"If it's not Baroque, don't fix it!" - Cogsworth | My Blu-ray collection | My Studio Ghibli blog
Neal
Anniversary Edition

Post by Neal »

WDAS: "We're going to make a classic Pooh movie and not use anything from the TV shows, DTVS, or even Gopher from Walt's Pooh movie. This will revitalize classic, un-tainted Pooh!"

Disney Consumer Group: "Your efforts were futile, we are going to destroy them with our 'updated' version of Pooh. Mwuhahahahaha!'
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

What I find ridiculous is the whole "we're going to make it closer to new movie that just came out" bit. The new Winnie the Pooh essentially emulated the style of the classic shorts. So, the '60s Pooh is already just like the 2011 Pooh.

Not to mention changing it to make it more accessible to a new generation. Isn't the fact that the classic Pooh shorts (and the classic Mickey Mouse, for that matter) are still beloved today mean that they're already accessible? I don't mind them, say, moderfying the characters for each generation (as long as they don't go over-board, ala the gangster Looney Tunes shorts produced by WB in the 90s), but I'm against changing the classic shorts. The Have a Laugh bits were terrible enough, as it is.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

MJW wrote:
SWillie! wrote:Although I think the "new vocal track" is unnecessary.
I agree and I think that that issue is a slippery slope. How long until they deem that their classic animated features need new vocal tracks, too?

I can see it now...

"Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs - Kryptonite Edition...now featuring remixed, beat-drivin club anthems and the singing voice of Emily Osment as Snow White!"

Just kidding! :lol:
yeah, so far these really just seem to be done so a new mix can be easily created.
zackisthewalrus
Anniversary Edition

Post by zackisthewalrus »

*facepalm*
"No day but today."
My YouTube Channel
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

Ok, this just sounds dumb.
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
Linden
Special Edition

Post by Linden »

I don't have Disney Channel, so I'm not even sure what Have a Laugh is. But the press release sure sounds positive. :P except for that tiny part about the vocal track
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DBfFKIO_hFU" frameborder="0"></iframe>
Last edited by Sotiris on Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sky Syndrome
Anniversary Edition

Post by Sky Syndrome »

Linden wrote:I don't have Disney Channel, so I'm not even sure what Have a Laugh is. But the press release sure sounds positive. :P except for that tiny part about the vocal track
"Have a Laugh" is a series of old Disney shorts edited to repeat funny bits in normal speed, fast speed, and slow speed and the audio has a laughing audience added to it. It's a stupid idea.
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

Have a laugh is a success? I can only imagine how successful it would be if it were an actual program that showed the full version of these shorts. Afterall, I'm absolutely sure that it's the short that is popular and not the added music/speed control/sound effects.

This new Mini Adventures idea is just silly.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

The mini adventures aren't nearly as bad as Have a Laugh.

I think they're sweet. Albeit cheaply made of course.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nOlhYGPZLvE" frameborder="0"></iframe>
Last edited by Sotiris on Wed May 16, 2012 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
disneyhv996

Why Disney?

Post by disneyhv996 »

Damn, why do they have to muddle with such great classics. The original versions are fine without dubbing.
Linden
Special Edition

Post by Linden »

Linden wrote:I don't have Disney Channel, so I'm not even sure what Have a Laugh is. But the press release sure sounds positive. :P except for that tiny part about the vocal track
Um, I must not have read the press release very well, or else I would have been more than mildly annoyed. Why would they do this? Have the original shorts been so unsuccessful in recent years that they have to go to great lengths to make them "accessible?" It doesn't make sense. The new Pooh didn't even make that much.
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

Dr Frankenollie
In The Vaults

Post by Dr Frankenollie »

Sotiris wrote:Another 'Mini Adventure':

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nOlhYGPZLvE" frameborder="0"></iframe>
I know this has been said several times already, but nonetheless: why would they dub over perfectly suitable character voices? :x The original voices are far superior anyway.
jpanimation
Anniversary Edition

Post by jpanimation »

If I had to see something positive in all this, it's that the "Have a Laugh!" shorts and "The Mini-adventures of Winnie the Pooh" shorts appear to have fully restored the original sources in HD to fool the kids into thinking it's new and I anticipate we'll get the original unalted ones on Blu-ray fairly soon because of it (we got Thru the Mirror on Alice in Wonderland's Blu-ray fully restored and outside the altered title card, it looked fantastic). A Blu-ray for a fully restored The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh shouldn't bee too far off, since we can plainly see the HD restoration is ready and I'm sure it would make a great tie-in with Winnie-the Pooh.