The Fox and the Hound - 30th Anniversary Blu-Ray - August 9

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
DarthPrime
Collector's Edition

Post by DarthPrime »

MJW wrote:Unfortunately, I, too, received one of the "stacked" cases, but I'm going to switch it out with a replacement 3-disc case. I've ordered a few replacement cases in the past, just in case I receive a damaged case from an online purchase or something.

A quick search on eBay reveals a decent assortment, in case anyone else wants to switch out their cases: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=thr ... m270.l1313

The Fox and the Hound is packaged in a Viva Elite case, whether it's the stacked version or the 3-disc with tray. You can swap out your stacked case for a 3-disc and the artwork will fit exactly the same, as the "thickness" of each of these cases is identical.
I'm going to do the same thing. Its a shame that we have to do this for this release, and I hope other releases don't use this type of case/packaging.
Linden
Special Edition

Post by Linden »

Victurtle wrote:
Linden wrote:So, is this release worth getting, or do you think there'll be a better release down the road (sans cheapquel)? I'm one of the few die-hard FatH fans out there, and I want the best release possible. I read the DVDizzy review, but I was curious about your guys' take on it. :)
Personally if I were a die-hard fan, I'd buy it regardless of whether better versions may appear "down the road", and I'd purchase that copy too :lol:

Disney will probably take half a decade - decade before re-releasing it.
I may be a die-hard fan, but I'm a stingy one. :wink: I decided to wait and see if it gets really cheap over the holidays. Then I'll buy it. If not, I'll just wait some more. Thanks to the people who offered their opinions. :)
KubrickFan
Anniversary Edition

Post by KubrickFan »

SpringHeelJack wrote:At what point do a lot of people reporting similar claims have a valid point? Like, if a few people say the picture looks wonky, then yeah, we can probably assume it's just their copy or player. But when a majority of people here and elsewhere point out problems, when is there an acknowledgment beyond "You're overanalyzing each frame!" or "You're not taking care of your discs!"?

Also, the "blur" is not something you'd have to notice by doing frame by frame analysis. It's not an unsightly out-of-focus mess, but there's easily a noticeable difference between certain scene in "The Fox and the Hound" and, say, "Sleeping Beauty." I'm not going to argue that it's a fault of the restoration because it seems plausible that it's a problem that plagued the source, but that doesn't mean you can't acknowledge it or that anyone who brings it up is just being obsessive. I think we do make it a point to say when Disney does a good job releasing something (witness "Sleeping Beauty" or "The Incredibles"). Likewise, when something seems off, we reserve the right to discuss it.
I agree. Now, not everybody might find every flaw noticeable or that important, but that shouldn't deter anyone from discussing it.
I have to say that I don't own the disc yet, but the blur and the lighter line at the right of the frame leads me to think that something didn't go entirely right during the scanning of the film. If the film isn't properly aligned, then it might shake a bit and would cause the film to not look entirely in focus. Perhaps you could check that? Thanks.
kylemj
Limited Issue

Post by kylemj »

looks like uk release is upon us www.bbfc.co.uk/AVV287432/
DC Fan
Anniversary Edition

Post by DC Fan »

May 9 The Fox and the Hound comes out in Blu Ray in Spain...both single and in a pack release.

http://www.mubis.es/noticias/tarzan-poc ... en-blu-ray
iconda

Post by iconda »

Hungarian/European cover for blu-ray (without sequel)

DC Fan
Anniversary Edition

Post by DC Fan »

Cover art for the indiviudal releases of The Fox and the Hound in Spain; will be avaliable on May 9.

http://www.mubis.es/noticias/caratula-d ... tod-y-toby
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

Ugh, why couldn't we get a simple edition of "Tod and Toby" with just the original movie? Lousy Disney.
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
DC Fan
Anniversary Edition

Post by DC Fan »

One thing that bothers me is that, at least in Spain, the DVDs of Fox and the Hound and Pocahontas are still availble. So, when the Blu Ray and rerelases become available...how someone that wants the DVD would know if they´re getting the old or new version?
rj.disney
Gold Classic Collection

Post by rj.disney »

Sorry for bringing this thread up. This set will be heading back to the vault next month, right?
"Hey Disney, we still exist!"
-Herc and Quasi
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

rj.disney wrote:Sorry for bringing this thread up. This set will be heading back to the vault next month, right?

I didn't know about this... I guess it could be one of their titles that that they don't publicly announce but I don't think it is going in the vault next month
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
rj.disney
Gold Classic Collection

Post by rj.disney »

^ yep, they seem to be quiet about this one. Lady and the Tramp has been announced to be heading into the vault next month
"Hey Disney, we still exist!"
-Herc and Quasi
Disney_freak
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Disney_freak »

rj.disney wrote:^ yep, they seem to be quiet about this one. Lady and the Tramp has been announced to be heading into the vault next month
This isn't a vault title. Unless they are going to re-release it its not going to be vaulted. The only titles in the US that are vault titles are the Diamond Collection, Fantasia, Aladdin, Alice in Wonderland, and Dumbo.
marlan
Gold Classic Collection

Re: The Fox and the Hound (Scandinavian DVD vs. BD)

Post by marlan »

I created a small screenshot comparison between the R2 Scandinavian DVD (2008) and Scandinavian Blu-ray (2014) of The Fox and the Hound and posted it at DVDPlaza.fi. (I cannot post it here because the screenshots are a bit too wide.) Click on the words “Näytä spoiler” to view the images there.

I presume the Scandinavian BD edition uses the exact same mis-framed transfer as the US release. The aspect ratio has gone 1.32:1 → 1.66:1.

The sequel is not present, and there is a HD featurette “Unlikely Friends” (7:24) as the only bonus material.