Pinocchio - Blu-ray - cine motion on Sony players

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
ValenciaJoe
Gold Classic Collection

Pinocchio - Blu-ray - cine motion on Sony players

Post by ValenciaJoe »

I know that the Pinocchio Blu-ray has been out for a few months, but I have finally gotten the free time to sit down and view it through the Cine Motion feature. When I went to play it on either of my two Sony Blu-ray players (PS3 and 770 (top of the line 3D player)), I cannot access the Cine Motion feature on this particular disc (I get an error message saying that my player is not capable of playing discs with this feature). However, the other Disney Blu-rays with this feature (such as Sleeping Beauty or Cars), the Cine Motion feature plays fine. Anyone else experience this problem only with the Pinocchio Blu-ray?
It's more fun when we're number 1!
jpanimation
Anniversary Edition

Post by jpanimation »

What is Cine Motion? If your talking about Cine-Explore then no, I never once had trouble with it (I'm using a Panasonic player that is a couple years old now). Also, the Pinnochio Blu-Ray has been out for a couple of years, not months.

BTW, did you just recently purchase it and if so, are the missing lines there? On HTF, a ton of people are reporting that the new ones being sold in stores have the missing lines reinserted.
ValenciaJoe
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ValenciaJoe »

jpanimation wrote:What is Cine Motion? If your talking about Cine-Explore then no, I never once had trouble with it (I'm using a Panasonic player that is a couple years old now). Also, the Pinnochio Blu-Ray has been out for a couple of years, not months.

BTW, did you just recently purchase it and if so, are the missing lines there? On HTF, a ton of people are reporting that the new ones being sold in stores have the missing lines reinserted.
Oops, I did mean Cine Explore. And thank you for correcting me on the issue period. It is just weird that the Cine Explore feature on this particular disc will not work on any of my Sony players, but other discs with this feature will play.
BwayJ
Gold Classic Collection

Post by BwayJ »

It doesn't work on mine either. I have a Panasonic DMP-BD45, which was released last year. The feature must not work on newer players.
ValenciaJoe
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ValenciaJoe »

BwayJ wrote:It doesn't work on mine either. I have a Panasonic DMP-BD45, which was released last year. The feature must not work on newer players.
are you having an issue with just Pinocchio as I am having? It seams weird that just one particular title will not work, but others will.
AKA

Post by AKA »

I so wish I would have read this thread before I went and re-formatted my PS3! I'm having the same problem. The exact error message I get is as follows:

"This feature cannot be played. It can only be accessed on Blu-ray players that support Bonus View."

All my other Disney discs with Cine-Explore work just fine, and Pinocchio's Cine-Explore function worked without a hitch when I first bought the disc in March of 2009.

I'm thinking something went wrong with a Sony firmware update at some point in the past two years. Hopefully they can be made aware of the problem and issue a fix (Pinocchio couldn't possibly be the only title affected, could it?).
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

You may find this thread interesting:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/blu-ray-player ... 3-now.html and the associated thread on Sunshine and PiP http://forum.blu-ray.com/blu-ray-movies ... e-pip.html

It appears all Sony players are "rationalising" their support of BD-Java. Apparently most players are somewhat lax when it comes to following the standards set down, and Sony's recent firmware updates across the PS3 and their stand-alone players have removed certain functionality which is not "officially" supported by the spec. I assume Sony has done this in part due to their support of 3D as it has also been reported on a few other 3D compatible players (another reason to hate 3D?) My guess is a flag in the player used to indicate Bonusview support is now being used to indicate 3D support and the disc is checking the wrong flag as a result.

The fact that Fox has re-authored their Sunshine discs seems to indicate Sony has no intention of reversing their change in BD-J support. Maybe they can't if the want to support 3D on the PS3 :(
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
AKA

Post by AKA »

Thanks for the reply, 2099. I read through that thread. What a drag! Hopefully Disney, like Fox for their title, will come through and replace Pinocchio for those of us who have it (even though it's going into the "Vault" next month).

I'm not holding my breath, though.
JustOneBite87
Gold Classic Collection

Post by JustOneBite87 »

Definitely glad I held off on buying my Pinocchio blu-ray until around a year later from the Disney Movie Club. I figured they would fix the production error and that if I got it from the DMC that it would be the latest stock, and I was right! So relieved to hear Jimmeny shout "Look out Pinoc!" where there had been silence on my previous platinum DVD.
jpanimation
Anniversary Edition

Post by jpanimation »

Well I just got off the phone with Disney customer support, they told me that they were still researching this issue and that they would call me back when they have the corrected discs to give out. I told her it was going back in the vault next month and that it being out of production was a concern of mine (and chief reason for giving them a call). She told me that going into the vault would not affect any kind of replacement program as it's a separate issue. We'll see what happens.

It just concerns me that the corrected version has been out for almost a year and they still haven't got their hands on any copies to start a disc replacement program. On HTF, they've been getting their corrected copies from Amazon, Target, Best Buy, all the usual suspects.
geniuswalt
Gold Classic Collection

Post by geniuswalt »

Anyone can tell me if the newly pressed disc is still region A locked?
ValenciaJoe
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ValenciaJoe »

jpanimation wrote:Well I just got off the phone with Disney customer support, they told me that they were still researching this issue and that they would call me back when they have the corrected discs to give out. I told her it was going back in the vault next month and that it being out of production was a concern of mine (and chief reason for giving them a call). She told me that going into the vault would not affect any kind of replacement program as it's a separate issue. We'll see what happens.

It just concerns me that the corrected version has been out for almost a year and they still haven't got their hands on any copies to start a disc replacement program. On HTF, they've been getting their corrected copies from Amazon, Target, Best Buy, all the usual suspects.
Thanks for the replies. I thought I was the only one with the problem.

So the newest stock of Pinocchio Blu-rays can play on Sony players?
jpanimation
Anniversary Edition

Post by jpanimation »

ValenciaJoe wrote:Thanks for the replies. I thought I was the only one with the problem.

So the newest stock of Pinocchio Blu-rays can play on Sony players?
IDK, but the newest stock has the missing lines re-incorporated back in (which is what I was referring to when I said I talked to Disney customer support). It seems to me there was a little confusion about that.