Mary Poppins on the Big Screen! (In New Orleans)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
David S.
Special Edition

Mary Poppins on the Big Screen! (In New Orleans)

Post by David S. »

Just a heads up to anyone in the metro New Orleans area, that Mary Poppins will be getting a rare, theatrical screening on Saturday 7/23, Sunday 7/24, and Wednesday 7/27, as part of the Prytania Theatre's Classic Movie Series!

Showtime is at 12 Noon on all three days.

http://www.theprytania.com/ClassicMovies.html
"Feed the birds, tuppence a bag"- Mary Poppins
"How high does the sycamore grow? If you cut it down, then you'll never know"- Pocahontas
"I do not make films primarily for children. I make them for the child in all of us, whether he be six or sixty. Call the child innocence." - Walt Disney
David S.
Special Edition

Post by David S. »

I made it to one of the 3 New Orleans Mary Poppins screenings and had a blast!

The theatre was absolutely PACKED, with hundreds in attendance. It was one of those screenings where every seat is taken and, unless you are with at least 2 other people sitting on either side of you, you will be sitting next to at least one person you don't know.

Normally, I like small, nearly empty screenings and dislike crowds like this, because when its crowded, the chances increase that people are more likely to talk on cell phones, or just talk and do distracting things in general.

But luckilly, none of this happened. It turned out to be a really great "group" moviegoing experience, and it seemed pretty clear that many others in attendence were big fans of the film. Lots of people laughed at exactly the right places, and were silent during "Feed the Birds", during which a few appropriate sniffles could be heard.

At the end, the theatre erupted in very loud, approving, applause! It was great being able to thank the 90-year old theatre owner (who introduced the film before it started) as I was leaving for presenting one of my all-time favorite movies in such a manner, and I noticed lots of other patrons were doing the same thing.

Most of all, it was great to see one of Walt Disney's greatest Masterpieces get so much love from the public at a time when they are rarely presented in cinemas outside of these special-type engagements, and almost never shown on television.
"Feed the birds, tuppence a bag"- Mary Poppins
"How high does the sycamore grow? If you cut it down, then you'll never know"- Pocahontas
"I do not make films primarily for children. I make them for the child in all of us, whether he be six or sixty. Call the child innocence." - Walt Disney