Tangled Discussion Part VI: Let the Drama continue...

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

Super Aurora wrote:
SWillie! wrote: Haha. I see what you did there.
I don't. What the hell "did I do there"? I wasn't being witty or anything....
Haha oh. Well I just thought it was funny that they had gotten upset over language and you come in and say FUCK.
Neal
Anniversary Edition

Post by Neal »

A new short is cool... wonder how they'll release it? Just online or available for purchase/download? Wonder if it's WDAS or since it's more or less a marketing scheme they farmed it out...

I only just bought Tangled tonight finally. Got the 3D B-r/2D B-r/DVD/Digital combo.
DisneyDude2010
Special Edition

Post by DisneyDude2010 »

Neal wrote:A new short is cool... wonder how they'll release it? Just online or available for purchase/download? Wonder if it's WDAS or since it's more or less a marketing scheme they farmed it out...

I only just bought Tangled tonight finally. Got the 3D B-r/2D B-r/DVD/Digital combo.

It will be released on the Disney Channel ... yes that's right :lol: :lol:

Also i found this video it's remarkable :o :o ... check it out
http://vimeo.com/23652565

It shows ALOT of behinds the scenes footage !!!
All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

DisneyDude2010 wrote:Also i found this video it's remarkable :o :o ... check it out

Wow, that's an amazing find! Thanks for sharing! :D :wink:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

DisneyDude2010 wrote: It will be released on the Disney Channel ... yes that's right :lol: :lol:

Also i found this video it's remarkable :o :o ... check it out

Thanks for posting! Great footage!
Polizzi
Special Edition

Post by Polizzi »

Bad news according to Box Office Mojo:

Kung Fu Panda 2: $597,984,000 Worldwide
Tangled: $590,721,936 Worldwide

DreamWorks, "Kung Fu Panda 2," takes down Disney's, "Rapunzel (Tangled)," with $7,262,064 added from the budget of, "Tangled," at the box office worldwide. It could reach up to $600,000,000 next week or two, maybe. Sorry for bringing you this update. Here is the site to, "Kung Fu Panda 2," on Box Office Mojo.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id ... panda2.htm

P.S. Look at the bright side, at least, "Tangled," does a better job in domestic gross, unless, "Kung Fu Panda 2," will tumble it on the domestic gross when it comes out to DVD and Blu-ray.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Umm, I fail to see how this is bad news. Tangled has made plenty of money for Disney and I doubt they care that a film they didn't expect to make as much money as it eventually did was surpassed by a surefire hit. It's like getting upset that Harry Potter made more on its opening weekend than Toy Story 3. It's kind of a non-surprise.

Besides, Kung Fu Panda 2 is a good flick (even better than the first one, in my opinion), so its success is completely deserving.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

"What Is Important Is to Make It Believable"
http://news.asiaone.com/News/Latest+New ... 79331.html
Wearing his hair wavy with hints of gray and silver, Walt Disney Animation Studio's Character Designer Kim Sang-jin bears a similarity to Flynn Rider, the hero in the popular 3-D animation movie "Tangled."

"I have always liked this hairstyle, so I guess it naturally came across my mind as one of the options when I designed Flynn," Kim told The Korea Herald with a chuckle.

Debuting as a Character Designer, Kim has designed many of the characters in "Tangled" including Flynn Rider, Mother Gothel, Maximus the horse, Pascal the chameleon and the Stabbington Brothers. He is the first-ever Korean to take such a big role at Walt Disney. Previously, he participated in creating designs for animations like "Tarzan," "Chicken Little" or "Treasure Planet" as one of Walt Disney's Key Animators.

Surprisingly, Kim never received formal art education. He wanted to go to an art school but majored economics instead because of his red-green colorblindness. Unable to give up on his dream, he knocked on the doors of local animation companies and one of them recognized his talent.

And in the mid-1990s when the animation business was expanding in L.A., he got an opportunity as an animator at Walt Disney. His inability to distinguish the two colors was not much of a problem because animators are supposed to make sketches in black and white.

For Flynn Rider's character, the goal was to make it the sexiest and hottest male character ever in Walt Disney's history, Kim said. "We hung photos of many male celebrities in our studio and had our female staff to vote on their favorites. When we narrowed down the candidates to a few, the most voted one was David Beckham. So there might be a similar vibe between the two," he said.

But the character that Kim feels most attached to in "Tangled" is Mother Gothel, because it took such a long time, about two years, to find just the right look for her.

"Mother Gothel is such a complex character. She has to be a mother so that Rapunzel will trust her, but is also a villain who uses her. It was not an easy mission to express all of that through design. We were struggling on it, and Alan Menken, a composer, played 'Mother Knows Best' (Mother Gothel's theme song) to us. It was then that Mother Gothel's image came up to my mind," said Kim.

"The song is like something you would hear from a musical stage. So we created her image something like old Hollywood stars, wearing thick mascara and dark red lipstick. She is supposed to look elegant and wicked at the same time."

It would be hard to find anyone who is not familiar with at least one of Walt Disney's characters. The secret of creating such classic and long-lasting characters is being able to push the right buttons that appeal to viewers and make them empathetic, said Kim.

"No matter how great it looks, it is not an attractive character if people cannot empathize to it. So at Disney, we have three rules to make good movies ? good story, good character and good world. The world is the story's background where everything happens, and it is important to make it believable. Enough to make people say 'yeah, it could happen' even when animals talk," said Kim.

Multiculturalism, as can be seen from examples like "The Jungle Book," "Mulan," or "The Princess and The Frog," is another peculiarity found in Walt Disney characters.

It can be explained by Walt Disney's efforts to globalize its characters as their animations are screened all over the world. But another reason is that there are artists of various ethnic backgrounds at the animation studio nowadays, said Kim.

"One of the former versions of our Rapunzel story included a multicultural Kingdom. The people there were wearing traditional costumes from all over the world including one decked in hanbok and wearing a 'gat' (a Korean hat). But then we changed the story because it seemed to be getting too complicated," said Kim.

Among 600 to 700 staff at the studio, about 12 are Koreans.

Kim said that animation companies in South Korea have their limits.

"In the case of TV animations, they are definitely world class. But in terms of feature-length big screen animations, there is still a big gap between their works and those by Disney, DreamWorks or Pixar. It is because they lack experience. But they should not be afraid of failures and keep on trying, and one day they will be competitive," said Kim.

Kim's next move will be "Reboot Ralph," a video game-inspired animation flick scheduled to be released in November 2012.

Including Kim's creations, over 600 drawings, original animations, concept artworks, figures, props and music notes from Walt Disney are on show at the exhibition "Dreams Come True: The Art of Disney's Classic Fairy Tales" currently running at Seoul Arts Center's Hangaram Design Museum in Seocho-dong, southern Seoul.

Organized by the Walt Disney Animation Research Library, the exhibition arrived in Seoul after showcasing in the U.S. and Australia.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

REALLY cute interview with Zach!

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dCPwlYI9B9s" frameborder="0"></iframe>
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Promo for Rapunzel's Coronation:

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2axUuTwg4j4" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Apparently, at the Spanish Disney website there is a contest where you send your design for Rapunzel's wedding gown and if it is chosen you win a trip to London to attend the royal event.

http://www.disney.es/concursos/vestido-princesa/
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Vince from Rapunzel: Unbraided
http://cosmoanimato.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... aided.html

Early Tangled Trees
http://artofkevinnelson.blogspot.com/20 ... logue.html
Kevin Nelson wrote:Early on, we were trying to make the trees in the style of Fragonard, but later, they became more stylized.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Thanks for the video and concept arts, guys! I would LOVE to enter the contest, but sadly I may be too old. :(

Wait, will the dress ACTUALLY be on the short?
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

^I think it's about the theme park event. The short is the wedding, isnt it?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

Sotiris wrote:Vince from Rapunzel: Unbraided
http://cosmoanimato.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... aided.html
Hmm . . . he kind of has a Jack Black vibe going on. I wonder if that's what they were going for.
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyAnimation88 »

I can see the Jack Black resemblance too, I get a feeling a character like this could have been a great comic foil for Flynn Rider. The abandoned concept art always fascinates me; even these sketches have left me wanting to know more about this character
We're not going to Guam, are we?
Semaj
Anniversary Edition

Post by Semaj »

Sotiris wrote:
Kevin Nelson wrote:Early on, we were trying to make the trees in the style of Fragonard, but later, they became more stylized.
I really wish they would've used those trees. They just look so beautiful.
"OH COME ON, REALLY?!?!"
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

My first thought was "those trees arent stylized?"
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

ajmrowland wrote:^I think it's about the theme park event. The short is the wedding, isnt it?
Yes it is.
Sotiris wrote:Image
Whoa, Rapunzel looks really different! Her lips and blush are really dark. But, I really love her nightgown.
Neal
Anniversary Edition

Post by Neal »

Blush... lipstick.... wonder why she's going to bed, hmm? ;)