Wreck-It Ralph (formerly Reboot Ralph)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

disneyboy20022 wrote: Iago - from Aladdin - Gilbert Gottfried
Pretty sure we've mentioned him quite frequently on this very page.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

estefan wrote:
disneyboy20022 wrote: Iago - from Aladdin - Gilbert Gottfried
Pretty sure we've mentioned him quite frequently on this very page.
We did. He was too busy posting unfunny pictures.
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

Disney Duster wrote:Goliath, no, wrong again, I do care what Disney does, what I was saying was that before even considering that they may make make something good, they shouldn't be hired because of the kind of things they made and people they are, things that go against Disney.
Whatever, dude, you said it doesn't matter what product Disney eventually turns out; even if it's a magical Walt-like fairytale, you have already decided, even before the film is being made, that you don't like it.
estefan wrote:All of them do at one point in their careers, even Lewis Black and George Carlin (you know, the man behind the famous "Seven Words You Can't Say on Television" act).
This man voiced a character in Disney-Pixar's Cars:

<object width="425" height="349"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/vp_UW ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/vp_UW ... 3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="349" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

Disney Duster wrote:What's that, it's still not really mature or risque, like the Simpsons, and like I said, that was for the sub-quality Bolt, not the best in defining what Disney is, and Bolt was done by the same team that un-Disneyfied Rapunzel into Tangled? Oh, yea, we agree, goodnight everybody!
You.

Can't.

Be.

Serious.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

Goliath wrote:Whatever, dude, you said it doesn't matter what product Disney eventually turns out; even if it's a magical Walt-like fairytale, you have already decided, even before the film is being made, that you don't like it.
Nope. Wrong again. I already explained I just meant these people shouldn't be hired as the principle of what Disney stands for.

And yup. The big greedy money-hungry current heads at Disney presented a Pixar film with that foul mouthed dirty-comedy-making guy in it. Very true. And very un-Disney and very bad.
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

Disney Duster wrote:
Goliath wrote:Whatever, dude, you said it doesn't matter what product Disney eventually turns out; even if it's a magical Walt-like fairytale, you have already decided, even before the film is being made, that you don't like it.
Nope. Wrong again. I already explained I just meant these people shouldn't be hired as the principle of what Disney stands for.

And yup. The big greedy money-hungry current heads at Disney presented a Pixar film with that foul mouthed dirty-comedy-making guy in it. Very true. And very un-Disney and very bad.

SMH
Alphapanchito
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Alphapanchito »

Disney Duster wrote:Nope. Wrong again. I already explained I just meant these people shouldn't be hired as the principle of what Disney stands for.

Note: I hope you were referring to ferguson in the Brave trailer. Because if not, I am about to break into a short speech about it.

Hold on DD, I happen to agree with you a lot of the time (even though I don't post enough to show these views), mostly in some of your ideas that you think make Disney Disney. However, in this case, I honestly believe that Craig Ferguson (if that is indeed what you are talking about) is an incredible representative of many of the things Walt stood for. Sure, he uses adult language for comedic effect, and yes, he often uses sexual innuendo (in a way that is ridiculously charming.. how? I have no idea). However, when Craig is serious, which is more often than you may think, he stands for some great things. For example, in Walt's stories, he often shows characters learning, growing, and changing. Craig used to abuse alcohol and other substances to the point where he almost jumped off a bridge, not because he was depressed, but because he was so wasted. Today, he has been sober for many years and realized his dreams of working in comedy, and moved to Cali (hmm, sounds just like a certain man we all know). Now he is making children and family entertainment too, in Winnie the Pooh and Brave (he was in another animated film too.. forget which). Honestly, nobody is perfect. So what if he swears? He even has integrity, he doesn't make jokes when every other late night host is if he feels it would really hurt the person, as seen when Britney shaved her head. He didn't make jokes, and instead told about that night where he had a problem, like her, and almost jumped off a bridge. He still sets a darn good example for any child, in my opinion.

Additionally, I am sure many kids who watch these movies will not know the voice actor anyway, they just get a great, (in Brave) scottish performance. I wouldn't mind if my future kids used him as an example, it just shows how you can go from literally nothing to very successful if you put your mind to it. Plus, his accent in the Brave trailer.. yum .

And just to clarify, these are totally my opinions, and my opinions only. I do not think these are right, nor do I expect you to agree with me. However, I will not take back these comments because you think something else. I think Craig Ferguson is VERY Disney, and you think he is not at all. We have different views, and that is what makes online forums interesting. I am just sticking up for Ferguson, because there is much more to him than cursing, dirty old man who does anything for a cheap laugh.[/i]
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Alphapanchito, Disney Duster was actually referring to George Carlin in Cars...
Alphapanchito
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Alphapanchito »

UmbrellaFish wrote:Alphapanchito, Disney Duster was actually referring to George Carlin in Cars...
Right, Thats why I was a little confused. However, I wasn't quite sure when Goliath said that even when it is a "magical Walt-like fairytale", which I assumed would be Brave, and then DD quoted it with a Pixar film with a dirty mouthed guy. Even though Carlin was mentioned a page back or so, I thought the conversation changed to Brave because of the mention of a fairytale and Pixar. But then again, this is a Reboot Ralph thread :/. I hope I am not the only confused one.
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

Alphapanchito wrote: I hope I am not the only confused one.
You're not. EVERYONE is confuse by Duster's explanations and reasonings.

Even Cooking loli is confuse.
LySs
Gold Classic Collection

Post by LySs »

Will these debates EVER end??

Look, I can kind of understand where Disney Duster is coming from, as I've noticed certain patterns in Disney films myself.
Mostly the whole whimsical animated musical based on a fairy tale/ classic story aspect, the "I Want" song, the iconic villain, but that formula's also been done and/or copied by Don Bluth and Dreamworks (ex: Thumbelina, Prince of Egypt). So the key difference here, is more about HOW the story is told, and the style it's done in to give it it's identity. But in the end, opinions are opinions. I've probably said this before, but what Disney means to one person, can mean something else to another.

As for "Wreck-It Ralph" being considered "Disney" or not, we'll just have to wait and see. But I'm pretty sure if it's made by Disney, it's "Disney". They have a history on how to handle and tell their films, and one about a video game character wouldn't be any different as it's relevant to our times.
Remember, it's HOW they tell the story. Hell, they could do a film about The freakin' Scarlet Letter if they wanted to if there was any way to make that family friendly.
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyAnimation88 »

DisneyDuster wrote:And yup. The big greedy money-hungry current heads at Disney presented a Pixar film with that foul mouthed dirty-comedy-making guy in it. Very true. And very un-Disney and very bad.
Do you realise how childish and immature you sound? True Disney and Pixar have used risque comedians to voice characters but when all is said said and done, they're not performing their own routines with adult humour; they're reading from scripts written by Disney writers. I can't remember George Carlin using any adult humour in Cars, can you? Same goes for Robin Williams and Eddie Murphy and I can't see Sarah Silverman segwaying into one of her routines in Wreck-It Ralph. So what on earth is the big deal?
We're not going to Guam, are we?
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

Yea don't worry Alphapanchito I only meant George Carlin. And by the way Brave may be kind of a fairy tale legend but the character designs and the trailer have shown me it's still very Pixar and not Disney. The Scottish voice even helps. It feels Pixar. : )
LySs wrote:Look, I can kind of understand where Disney Duster is coming from, as I've noticed certain patterns in Disney films myself.
Mostly the whole whimsical animated musical based on a fairy tale/ classic story aspect, the "I Want" song, the iconic villain, but that formula's also been done and/or copied by Don Bluth and Dreamworks (ex: Thumbelina, Prince of Egypt). So the key difference here, is more about HOW the story is told, and the style it's done in to give it it's identity. But in the end, opinions are opinions. I've probably said this before, but what Disney means to one person, can mean something else to another.
I only agree with that but only to an extent. At least we know one person knew what the Disney essence was, and that's Walt. That doesn't mean we can't try to figure it out or agree that certain ideas or, ahem, tangled titles don't fit the Disney essence. This could turn out to be done as Disney as it should be, but...

The point is, for you and DisneyAnimation88, it's just that if Walt knew how dirty and obscene some of these comics were, I doubt he would hire them. I know, I know, he's dead, but I think anyone, really anyone, can guess that Walt would probably not hire them, feeling they weren't right for his studio because of what they did, because of who they are, even if they produced good work if he were to hire them because they acted all different and not-dirty.
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyAnimation88 »

DisneyDuster wrote:That doesn't mean we can't try to figure it out or agree that certain ideas or, ahem, tangled titles don't fit the Disney essence. This could turn out to be done as Disney as it should be, but...
There's nothing whatsoever to figure out; he made films he wanted to make, he died and since then various individuals have carried on that legacy. Many of those who worked with him have said that they became sick of the "what would Walt have done?" attitude that surrounded the studio in the years after he died and if that attitude had prevailed, the Walt Disney Company would have died a long time ago. Disney don't only make films for you or to fit your ideas of "essence", they make them to appeal to a wide audience and I think many people would agree that they achieve that.
DisneyDuster wrote:I know, I know, he's dead, but I think anyone, really anyone, can guess that Walt would probably not hire them, feeling they weren't right for his studio because of what they did, because of who they are, even if they produced good work if he were to hire them because they acted all different and not-dirty.
The last part of that doesn't really make sense to me. But if the hiring of Sarah Silverman offends you so deeply, there's an easy solution: don't watch the film. :)
We're not going to Guam, are we?
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Not a comedian, but to use another example, most of the new songs in Winnie the Pooh were written Kristen and Robert Lopez. The latter was responsible and wrote the songs for "Avenue Q" and "The Book of Mormon", two very dirty and foul-mouthed Broadway musicals.

Listen to the soundtrack to Winnie the Pooh. Do any of the songs sound dirty or foul-mouthed to you?
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

Disney Duster wrote:Yea don't worry Alphapanchito I only meant George Carlin.
I've seen a lot of Carlin's stand-up performances and his appearances in talkshows and I can say he's one of the most intelligent, honest, ethical and sincere persons I've ever seen. Too bad you're too short-sighted to ever see it.
Disney Duster wrote:And by the way Brave may be kind of a fairy tale legend but the character designs and the trailer have shown me it's still very Pixar and not Disney. The Scottish voice even helps. It feels Pixar. : )
Good. Pixar has been infinitly better at making movies than Disney for the past decade anyway.
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

Disney Duster wrote:The Scottish voice even helps. It feels Pixar. : )
So...Scottish people don't have the Disney Essence? :scratch:
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

Wonderlicious wrote:So...Scottish people don't have the Disney Essence? :scratch:
Except Alan Young, who voiced Scrooge McDuck. You see, because Alan voiced a character that was already in existence when Walt Disney was still alive. Therefore, when Alan voiced Scrooge in the 1980's, long after Walt was gone, he did work with a character who was approved by Walt, so it's okay then.

[/Duster-mode]
toonaspie
Anniversary Edition

Post by toonaspie »

I confess to being a Sarah Silverman hater, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't cast her if I feel her voice is right for a particular character. Comedians have played roles in all kinds of movies that don't necessarily relate to their comedian stage material and I think it's intentional on their part because a good comedian would want their stage routine work to have a separate identity from their acting work. And even then they would want to do various acting work so they aren't always doing the same kind of role or routine everytime. Thus why Jim Carrey switched over the more dramatic roles after becoming a major comedic sensation.

I think the PG13 rating for Wreck It Ralph will be more for the intensity of the storyline and the possibility of violence and scary sequences. But I really doubt Disney would be so crass as to do PG13 language and suggestive dialogue and writing in a film they know they're gonna release under the Disney name. I say let's see how the film looks and works first before judging on certain aspects of it. We have yet to see anything as far as production work. All we got to work with at this point is a few cast members and a storyline.