Wreck-It Ralph (formerly Reboot Ralph)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
DisneyDude2010
Special Edition

Post by DisneyDude2010 »

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Wreck-It Ralph Exclusive Interview: John C. Reilly Gets Animated
http://www.moviefanatic.com/2012/04/wre ... -animated/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

DisneyJedi wrote: Wait, wait! Hold up a sec! The guy who worked on Futurama and Drawn Together (both adult cartoons) is working on this, a Disney film?! I'm... not sure what to say... :shock:
Brad Bird was one of the very first people to work on The Simpsons crew, so Rich Moore directing an animated Disney film is not that crazy. There do exist directors who are flexible enough that they go from making adult material to directing family fare. Look at the recent example of Martin Scorsese, primarily known for directing violent gangster pictures and then went on to make the incredibly touching and adventurous family picture Hugo.

If you don't think Rich Moore can bring the right type of humour and especially heart to a Disney film, I highly recommend watching the Futurama episodes "Jurassic Bark" and "The The Luck of the Fryish." He directed both episodes, which are just as touching as any Disney animated film.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyAnimation88 »

estefan wrote:Brad Bird was one of the very first people to work on The Simpsons crew, so Rich Moore directing an animated Disney film is not that crazy.
Agreed. What does it matter if he worked on those things in the past? If there was anything about him or his ideas for the film that was "un-Disney", I doubt he would have been hired in the first place.
We're not going to Guam, are we?
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Brad Bird is Pixar.

Aside from that, it's not just that those shows are adult. Back in Walt's day, even adult stuff was not as crude, violent, irreverent, and, well, negative and bad feeling as the adult stuff of the Simpsons or Futurama or Sarah Silverman. And Drawn Together is the worst one, aside from Sarah.

That isn't a case of adult going to family, it's like the antithesis of Disney going to Disney.
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

Disney Duster wrote:Back in Walt's day, even adult stuff was not as crude, violent, irreverent, and, well, negative and bad feeling as the adult stuff of the Simpsons or Futurama or Sarah Silverman.
I'm not going into a big debate about this but Walt Disney died in the 1960's and in the intervening four decades, society as a whole has changed an awful lot and there are a lot of things we see today that we wouldn't have if we'd been around in Walt's day.

Secondly, there is nothing to suggest that there is anything crude, violent or inappropriate about Wreck-It Ralph. Sarah Silverman is reading lines from a script that has been approved by Disney executives, not performing her own stand-up routine so why should anything she has done in the past matter in relation to her being cast? Gilbert Gottfried is controversial, James Woods has had his own controversial moments in the past, Robin Williams can sometimes be crude in his own stand-up routines and yet they've all voiced very well-known characters in Disney films. If anyone is really offended at the choice of director or cast in this film then they don't have to see it but this is still a Disney film and these people have signed on to work on it knowing perfectly well what that entails.
Last edited by DisneyAnimation88 on Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

DisneyAnimation88 wrote:this is still a Disney film and these people have signed on to work on it knowing perfectly well what that entails.
Do they now? Or are they f-ing with it?
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

I wonder how you would feel if I told you that the director of "The Nine Lives of Fritz the Cat" would go on to be a director and producer on Tale Spin, Goof Troop and Bonkers. Or that the song-writer of Avenue Q and The Book of Mormon would then write the songs for Winnie the Pooh. Or that the same artist behind the infamous Fritz the Cat poster would then design the posters for The Little Mermaid, The Little Mermaid and The Rescuers Down Under. Or that the writer of Tarzan and The Hunchback of Notre Dame previously wrote a movie called My Best Friend is a Vampire. I could go on and on...

And obviously shows like The Simpsons and Futurama wouldn't exist back in Walt's day. Heck, it took until All in the Family for the sound of a flushing toilet to be allowed in the airwaves.

But, again, I refer to those two aforementioned Futurama episodes. There's nothing "crude, violent, irreverent, and, well, negative and bad feeling" about Seymour waiting decades for Fry to return to the pizza shop or Fry realising that his brother really did care about and miss him after he got frozen. Those scenes have the same level of sweetness and heart you would find in any Disney film.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

Disney Duster wrote:Do they now? Or are they f-ing with it?
I'll put it this way; I'm not expecting any bad language, sexual innuendo or violence in this film, the same as I wouldn't in any other WDAS film. When I heard who the director was or the actors that they had cast, I didn't automatically assume that this would be a ninety minute animated Fox comedy and I haven't heard anything at all that makes me think otherwise. On the contrary, from what I've read, it sounds like it will be a funny film that people within the industry seem to be very excited about it so I'm definitely excited for it and hope it will be the success that some are predicting.
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

Talent is talent. There's no need to be prejudiced against someone capable of doing a great job simply because they've done material that you don't appreciate.
Patrick
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Patrick »

Thanks Sotiris! I don't like that cover much. :lol: I feel like they picked it because it was colorful. The little drawings on the iage you just posted are really cute, though.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

estefan wrote:Or that the song-writer of Avenue Q and The Book of Mormon would then write the songs for Winnie the Pooh.
I'm against that too.

I stand by what I said. There's plenty of adult stuff out there but the people working on Reboot Ralph aren't just adult their equivalent in Walt's day would be whatever was as bad and anti-Disney that could exist back in his day that was accepted by other adults but that he would never allow to be at his studio.

Juts because they can making something sweet amidst a million other of the kind of jokes and stories they tell doesn't mean a thing. Oh so Disney's just sweet and heartwarming, that's all they are, not even a special kind of it, so you can't even tell when you're watching a Disney film versus the right Futurama episode, there's no difference, nothing that seperates them, no essence? They might as well be the same thing, why give them different names at all? Sure.
Dream Huntress
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Dream Huntress »

Disney Duster wrote:
estefan wrote:Or that the song-writer of Avenue Q and The Book of Mormon would then write the songs for Winnie the Pooh.
I'm against that too.

I stand by what I said. There's plenty of adult stuff out there but the people working on Reboot Ralph aren't just adult their equivalent in Walt's day would be whatever was as bad and anti-Disney that could exist back in his day that was accepted by other adults but that he would never allow to be at his studio.

Juts because they can making something sweet amidst a million other of the kind of jokes and stories they tell doesn't mean a thing. Oh so Disney's just sweet and heartwarming, that's all they are, not even a special kind of it, so you can't even tell when you're watching a Disney film versus the right Futurama episode, there's no difference, nothing that seperates them, no essence? They might as well be the same thing, why give them different names at all? Sure.
I'm sorry, but isn't that somewhat closed minded? To think that just because someone usually does adult oriented enteratinment, one can't do family oriented entertainment?

Seriously, Walt Disney has been dead for over 4 decades, to keep the company going based in the way stuff was done in his days is not only silly, but also poor business making, and puts great restrictions on the artists and the creative process. No wonder Steve Jobs asked Tim Cook not to let happen to Apple what happened to Disney after Walt died.
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

Disney Duster wrote:
I'm against that too.
Offfffffff course you are...
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Dream Huntress wrote:I'm sorry, but isn't that somewhat closed minded? To think that just because someone usually does adult oriented enteratinment, one can't do family oriented entertainment?
Haha. I pointed out how it's not just going from adult to family, what they did is the more crude and bad of adult.
Dream Huntress wrote:Seriously, Walt Disney has been dead for over 4 decades, to keep the company going based in the way stuff was done in his days is not only silly, but also poor business making, and puts great restrictions on the artists and the creative process. No wonder Steve Jobs asked Tim Cook not to let happen to Apple what happened to Disney after Walt died.
Haha, like Apple is the same. Apple is about making everything new, no matter the cost. Walt always selected old stories, or old things, old traditional values and sensibilities, just with new methods or technology. Don't anyone bring that quote up about movng forward, because that quote does not specify what new things Walt would do, according to that you could say a "new thing" could be adding new sensibilities aka making evil win in a Disney flick.
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

For Christ's sake, Duster.
Dream Huntress
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Dream Huntress »

Disney Duster wrote: Haha, like Apple is the same. Apple is about making everything new, no matter the cost. Walt always selected old stories, or old things, old traditional values and sensibilities, just with new methods or technology. Don't anyone bring that quote up about movng forward, because that quote does not specify what new things Walt would do, according to that you could say a "new thing" could be adding new sensibilities aka making evil win in a Disney flick.
You do realize Disney spent almost 2 decades tiptoing around stories and terrified to try anything because they kept wondering "What Walt would do?", until they finally stopped doing that, because they were the ones who were still there, and decided to just try to tell good stories? In that sense, is the same, Steve Jobs didn't want Apple to be stuck in one gear, and I don't think Walt Disney would have wanted the company to freeze in time and stop being creative after he was gone.

Makes me glad the people in charge of the animation department at Disney are not closed minded, otherwise it would be a terribly boring place to work in, that would keep producing repetitive non interesting movies, if they kept telling them the same way they did in the 1950s, even though is 2012.
Neal
Anniversary Edition

Post by Neal »

Roald Dahl hated kids and his books are children's classics.

Dr. Seuss was a WWII political cartoonist but that never influenced his books.

... point is, people can separate their ability to be an adult/interact with other adults/entertain an audience of adults from their ability to entertain an audience of children.
Scamander
Special Edition

Post by Scamander »

Disney Duster wrote: Haha. I pointed out how it's not just going from adult to family, what they did is the more crude and bad of adult.
How is Futurama or The Simpsons bad or crude? Ever heard of the term 'satire'? Both shows were actually more intelligent than most things Disney did. So, who are you to judge the people who worked on these shows?

The world isn't all glittering, fluffy and sparkling and just because you need your daily dose of Disney kitsch (sorry, "Disney magic") doesn't mean everything else is bad. Gosh darn it!