Wreck-It Ralph (formerly Reboot Ralph)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Steve Hulett wrote:This feature began life as Joe Jump, back in the David Stainton days, then went into hibernation, then got revived (and revised) as Reboot Ralph and is now Wreck-It Ralph. I'm informed that as of last week, there were three layout artists on the picture, and that the goal is to get an inventory of layouts before hiring a crew of animators.
Source: http://animationguildblog.blogspot.com/ ... -name.html
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Victurtle
Special Edition

Post by Victurtle »

ajmrowland wrote:Wait, who does she voice on the Simpsons?
She guest starred once as Nikki (one of Bart's girlfriends) and she voiced Fry's 20th century girlfriend Michelle in Futurama.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Anon#1: In our office, shortly after the Wreck It Ralph press release quoted in this thread arrived we also received a follow up from the same studio rep requesting that we completely disregard their previous statement. Maybe the title, or the project for that matter, isn't quite ready for production after all.

Anon#2: Uh...You're either lying or uninformed. Or don't work at Disney Animation...

Anon#3: That is a lie. There was no email about "disregarding" the Ralph name change.

Anon#4: I hear they have different art directors for each of worlds since they couldn't stand working together.

Anon#5: I'm working on it and it's hilarious but it doesn't make much sense if you know video games. Sort of like watching characters hack into a computer on CSI. Funny 'cause they got it so wrong.

Anon#6: The Rich Moore, Andy Harkness & Mike Gabriel show - experts on things they know nothing about.
Source: http://animationguildblog.blogspot.com/ ... -name.html

I'm only going to stay on the last comment - the rest of them are probably just rumors and trollin'. Mike Gabriel has already been confirmed as an art director for the film (look two pages back) but the name of the second art director had yet to be revealed who now from this comment we know that's Andy Harkness.
toonaspie
Anniversary Edition

Post by toonaspie »

UmbrellaFish wrote:
Sotiris wrote:Does anyone else get a bit of MegaMind vibe from the synopsis?
Yes. Well, actually Despicable Me, which of course if similar to Mega Mind. I guess the good guy/bad guy twist is in vogue now...
I've seen both movies and yes there were minor similarities but the themes and storylines were very different from each other. One tends to be unintentionally cutesy to appeal to kids, the other was a little more adult appealing.

As far as Wreck It Ralph goes, the whole complex theme of "living the good guy or bad guy role assigned to you" along with the film's summary seems almost word-for-word Megamind (replace character names and a few elements). Either Disney is intentionally ripping off Dreamworks in a twisted way, or there seems to be some curse where studios can only think of storylines for CGI films that another studio is working on or has already done without knowing. Man...
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

I imagine it's different enough from Megamind and Despicable Me, if it's still in production. After all, the main reason Newt was cancelled is because it was supposedly extremely similar to Rio.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Victurtle
Special Edition

Post by Victurtle »

At this point of cinema history, truly unique story lines are incredibly rare.
Although bad guy wanting to be a good guy thing may be old, the whole platform jumping aspect of the film sounds pretty unique.
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyAnimation88 »

I agree with estefan, Disney wouldn't be pushing ahead with the film if it was too similar to anything that other studios have done. We still only know basic details about the film; we haven't seen any artwork apart from that which was done when the film was still called Joe Jump and we so far only have a very brief synopsis of the storyline. Seen as the film's release is less than eighteen months away, hopefully we will have more details and some new artwork soon.
We're not going to Guam, are we?
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

toonaspie wrote:As far as Wreck It Ralph goes, the whole complex theme of "living the good guy or bad guy role assigned to you" along with the film's summary seems almost word-for-word Megamind (replace character names and a few elements). Either Disney is intentionally ripping off Dreamworks in a twisted way, or there seems to be some curse where studios can only think of storylines for CGI films that another studio is working on or has already done without knowing. Man...
Well, I'd say that Megamind sort of chose to be the Villain rather than accept that he was simply picked on for being different. He wasnt programmed to be the bad guy; that was just the way everyone saw him. Ralph is actually built as a villain, but doesnt share the same interest in Villainy that Megamind has.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

estefan wrote:I imagine it's different enough from Megamind and Despicable Me, if it's still in production. After all, the main reason Newt was cancelled is because it was supposedly extremely similar to Rio.
Or possibly the other way around--Rio was too similar to Newt (considering I thought the Pixar film was started first).

I can't speak about Megamind or Despicable Me because I've seen neither, but the villain-protagonist thing has been going on for about a decade now and Dreamworks wasn't the first. If anything, Disney started that way back with B&tB--not to mention Wicked which popularized it, and so on. Besides, there's no such thing as originality or "unique," and even if there were you wouldn't find it in the entertainment industry.

That said, Ralph doesn't sound like an actual villain. That's just the role he he has to play in the games, but that's not who he really is. Reminds me of that Disney "Kingdom Come" fanfiction from a long time ago. Plus, there's clearly another villain in the story.

Also, about Megamind--I always thought the designs in the trailers for that looked horrible. I'm sure Wreck-It Ralph can top it in that area, at least. Course, I could be wrong. :?
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

It may not be related to Disney's film but I thought I'd share. This award-winning short about classic arcade games has been picked up to be developed into a feature film.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ou8vRWTSsJo[/youtube]
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

I've seen the short before, and love it, but how in the world can something like that be made into a feature??
Patrick
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Patrick »

SWillie! wrote:I've seen the short before, and love it, but how in the world can something like that be made into a feature??
A teenage nerd and his sidekick Jpeg the ferret set out to de-pixelize the world as it slowly begins to decay. Along the way, he meets a too hot for school nerdette and falls helplessly in love. Through a series of awkward moments and coincidental successes, he manages to de-pixelize the world and score a date with the nerdette. He probably has black rimmed glasses with a bandaid holding them together... and his ferret has ones that match.

:roll:

Oh and the nerdette is inducted into the line of Disney Princesses about a year after her film is released and her merchandise stops selling as much.
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

Victurtle wrote:At this point of cinema history, truly unique story lines are incredibly rare.
Makes me think of this article:

http://www.newsweek.com/2011/05/15/summ ... adnes.html
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Well, come 2012 we know that Rich Moore's "Wreck-It Ralph" will be the studios' animated offering. I hear that the project is very different from the last few films, but still shares the same, Disney heart. If some of the hysterically dark scenes I heard make it though the cut then this one will get an unusually rare, PG13 rating for the 52nd animated feature from Disney Animation. But we'll have to wait and see what final form it arrives in.
Source: http://blueskydisney.blogspot.com/2011/ ... -road.html
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

If Wreck-It Ralph gets a PG-13 rating and contains mature content ... I will die happy.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

The fact that they're mentioning a possible PG13 rating already has me intrigued. Maybe we're about to see a jump back to the '90s, where somewhat more mature films/ideas are given a chance.

But I'm already looking forward to it, so this only adds to the snowball. :P
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Neal
Anniversary Edition

Post by Neal »

Disney will never allow for a PG-13 animated feature... I don't think...

I mean, I guess they'd just rely on "Brave" to be their big ticket family movie for 2012 (in terms of animation) - being as "Frankenweenie" is sure to scare a few youngsters.

It's all in the marketing. They'd have to not sound like "we used to be a kiddy company, come see our daring step into adult animation! It's so cool!" It would have to seem like a natural progression, "you've always loved Disney, but maybe you thought you've outgrown it? Think again!"

2012 is shaping up to be a mature year:

John Carter
Frankenweenie
Lone Ranger (?)

None of those scream "bring the kids!"
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

WRECK-IT-RALPH HAS A FACEBOOK! AND SO, ITS DATE OF RELEASE IS NOVEMBER 12, 2012!

http://www.facebook.com/WreckItRalph
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

In light of the plot and the lead voice actor, I give you this:

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350" data="http://i.adultswim.com/adultswim/video3 ... wf"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="movie" value="http://i.adultswim.com/adultswim/video3 ... wf"><param name="FlashVars" value="id=8a25c39216cdd4f10116d07a4393011b"><embed src="http://i.adultswim.com/adultswim/video3 ... player.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" FlashVars="id=8a25c39216cdd4f10116d07a4393011b" allowFullScreen="true" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
"Fifteen years from now, when people are talking about 3-D, they will talk about the business before 'Monsters vs. Aliens' and the business after 'Monsters vs. Aliens.' It's the line in the sand." - Greg Foster, IMAX chairman and president
toonaspie
Anniversary Edition

Post by toonaspie »

With all that went on in Bambi, THAT FILM should've been rated Pg13. Not even Hunchback of Notre Dame was that disturbing or violent as that movie :lol: