Wreck-It Ralph (formerly Reboot Ralph)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

I really, really love the real life candy creation they used for Sugar Rush's world! Look at the little white Peeps in the stands! And that popcorn bag for like a throne! Reminds me of the Lion king and the animals watching the game in Bedknobs and Broomsticks!

But you know...I was thinking...this would work as the story of a storybook villain who wanted to become a hero, and who entered other storybook worlds. Or even a villain who just travels to magical worlds or kingdoms, even futuristic or candy kingdoms, to become a hero. It wouldn't have to be video games. It would seem more Disney...

EDIT: It wouldn't have to be storybooks and kingdoms, it could just be books and lands/worlds.

That's all I'm sayin. Continue on with your excitement for what we got.
Last edited by Disney Duster on Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FigmentJedi
Gold Classic Collection

Post by FigmentJedi »

Disney Duster wrote:
But you know...I was thinking...this would work as the story of a storybook villain who wanted to become a hero, and who entered other storybook worlds. Or even a villain who just travels to magical worlds or kingdoms, even futuristic or candy kingdoms, to become a hero. It wouldn't have to be video games. It would seem more Disney...
:roll: Because Disney movies should only ever be one genre.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

FigmentJedi wrote::roll: Because Disney movies should only ever be one genre.
It doesn't have to be storybooks or kingdoms. It could just be books and lands/worlds.
FigmentJedi
Gold Classic Collection

Post by FigmentJedi »

Disney Duster wrote:
FigmentJedi wrote::roll: Because Disney movies should only ever be one genre.
It doesn't have to be storybooks or kingdoms. It could just be books and lands/worlds.
Because the kids and their vidya are just a fad and games are not a viable medium that's been well established for almost 40 years now.
jennytablina

Post by jennytablina »

If you don't mind me asking Swillie! Would there be any chance you could get a close up of the image with the video game villains talking with Ralph, I'm pretty sure the other two villians with Zangief are Bowser from Mario and Dr. Eggman from the Sonic the Hedgehog series. Which is a pretty big deal to a nerd like myself, and instantly boosts my interest in this film - if Disney are giving dues to the rich universe of characters Gaming already has! : )
Disney Duster wrote: It doesn't have to be storybooks or kingdoms. It could just be books and lands/worlds.
y'know Disney never just did fairy tales. There's Babes in Toyland, Cookie Canival, Flowers and Trees, The Abandoned Toys and many MANY other shorts that had inanimate objects come to life. Mickey Thru the Looking Mirror experiments with this idea too. Most of the reason they never ran with inanimate characters is because there wasn't the right story for them to animate at the time. Fantasia also had a lot of inanimate objects become animated, the mushrooms, flowers - even the soundtrack!

That said video game characters are not inanimate objects - the games console might be. But any video game character moves to a certain degree, and have lives of their own, like comic book heroes and the like have more to them than the comic they appear in. The media may be different, but these characters "live" regardless to those that follow their adventures. Much like Mickey and his friends live beyond each short/film/attraction they appear in.

The Lion King wasn't based on a fairy tale (arguably was cribbed or a respectful but still uncredited adaptation of Osamu Tezuka's "Jungle Emperor Leo) but was still a cracking film in it's own right and one of Disney's finest. Bolt was a pretty good film too, and wasn't based on any previous media far as I know. Yes venturing out of Fairy Tales is a little risky for Disney. But sometimes you gotta take them, Walt was ALWAYS about taking risks and moving onto the next big thing. We've had 2 "Fairy Tale" films in the last so many years, it's time for something a bit different
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyAnimation88 »

Thanks for the photos SWillie!. Everything new I see and hear of this film makes me more and more excited to eventually see it. I think the concept is brilliant and the concept art we've seen of it looks fantastic and full of humour. I haven't been this excited to see a new film from WDAS from a while and I think this film definitely has the potential to fulfill my expectations.

As a big fan of Street Fighter, I'm also very happy to see Zangief will make an appearance in the film. I would have loved to see my favourite SF character Blanka make an appearance but I'm very happy to find out that Zangief will be in the film and the idea behind using the character sounds like it might be very funny.
Disney Duster wrote:It wouldn't have to be video games. It would seem more Disney...
You've explained yourself more than enough on the forum so I'm not going to challenge you on this. What I will say is I hope that your pre-determined idea of what is "Disney" doesn't make you make a judgement of the film before you've seen it. You might hate it, which is perfectly fine, but it might also surprise you.
We're not going to Guam, are we?
L&P on the Scales

Post by L&P on the Scales »

Screw Disney, there's Eggman and Bowser there! BOWSER! <3

...I totally did not run across here from the Sonic Stadium forums. Nope, not at all.
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

Did Disney pay Capcom, Nintendo etc to have their characters in the movie?
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
DisneyDude2010
Special Edition

Post by DisneyDude2010 »

Super Aurora wrote:Did Disney pay Capcom, Nintendo etc to have their characters in the movie?
I was thinking the same thing! Maybe It's the same as Barbie in Toy Story!

Well we can say Disney will have a greet merchandise line for the movie :lol:
All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

FigmentJedi wrote:Because the kids and their vidya are just a fad and games are not a viable medium that's been well established for almost 40 years now.
No it's not that. It's that Disney always did movies about things and worlds that were real, not virtual.
jennytablina wrote:
Disney Duster wrote:It doesn't have to be storybooks or kingdoms. It could just be books and lands/worlds.
y'know Disney never just did fairy tales. There's Babes in Toyland, Cookie Canival, Flowers and Trees, The Abandoned Toys and many MANY other shorts that had inanimate objects come to life. Mickey Thru the Looking Mirror experiments with this idea too. Most of the reason they never ran with inanimate characters is because there wasn't the right story for them to animate at the time. Fantasia also had a lot of inanimate objects become animated, the mushrooms, flowers - even the soundtrack!

That said video game characters are not inanimate objects - the games console might be. But any video game character moves to a certain degree, and have lives of their own, like comic book heroes and the like have more to them than the comic they appear in. The media may be different, but these characters "live" regardless to those that follow their adventures. Much like Mickey and his friends live beyond each short/film/attraction they appear in.

The Lion King wasn't based on a fairy tale (arguably was cribbed or a respectful but still uncredited adaptation of Osamu Tezuka's "Jungle Emperor Leo) but was still a cracking film in it's own right and one of Disney's finest. Bolt was a pretty good film too, and wasn't based on any previous media far as I know. Yes venturing out of Fairy Tales is a little risky for Disney. But sometimes you gotta take them, Walt was ALWAYS about taking risks and moving onto the next big thing. We've had 2 "Fairy Tale" films in the last so many years, it's time for something a bit different
You completely missed how I was saying that unlike past inanimate characters, the problem was Disney obviously gave those objects real lives. But with video games, they already look like they are alive because they have virtual fake life. What I mean is how will Disney tell us that these are characters that have real, not virtual, but real life and emotions, like a real spirit in them?

Also, I said books and lands, which does not mean going into past fairy tales, or fairy tales at all! It just means WORLDS from books. And it doesn't even have to be from books! Just something that is not fake virtual life. An original story that's not a fairy tale at all. Just not fake virtual life.
DisneyAnimation88 wrote:
Disney Duster wrote:It wouldn't have to be video games. It would seem more Disney...
You've explained yourself more than enough on the forum so I'm not going to challenge you on this. What I will say is I hope that your pre-determined idea of what is "Disney" doesn't make you make a judgement of the film before you've seen it. You might hate it, which is perfectly fine, but it might also surprise you.
I also explained that I would deal with it. I was just hoping people would get what I mean about what Disney has always been about before. About things that are not fake and virtual.

By the way, were you born in '88? I was too. Best year to be born ever! ;)
L&P on the Scales

Post by L&P on the Scales »

Weren't Disney involved with the original TRON?
DC Fan
Anniversary Edition

Post by DC Fan »

Can´t read the whole post.

However, going to point out that the central point of the movie is the 8 Bit era. Something just people around 30 can identify with.

PS

Try that a child plays today the original Super Mario and what would he/she say about it.
Scamander
Special Edition

Post by Scamander »

Great, now I feel old. :lol:

PS. I'm 'only' 24 and can identify with 8-bit video games. The first console I remember playing with, was a NES, which was released in 1986 in Europe. I loved Super Mario Bros. 3 :P
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

Disney Duster wrote:
FigmentJedi wrote:Because the kids and their vidya are just a fad and games are not a viable medium that's been well established for almost 40 years now.
No it's not that. It's that Disney always did movies about things and worlds that were real, not virtual.
Tron/Tron Legacy.

jennytablina wrote: The Lion King wasn't based on a fairy tale (arguably was cribbed or a respectful but still uncredited adaptation of Osamu Tezuka's "Jungle Emperor Leo)
That's a hugely false misconception. I already prove how false that statement is in this forum. The Lion King and Kimba the White Lion have almost absolutely nothing on common. I would know since I've read the original manga of it.

Disney Duster wrote:You completely missed how I was saying that unlike past inanimate characters, the problem was Disney obviously gave those objects real lives. But with video games, they already look like they are alive because they have virtual fake life. What I mean is how will Disney tell us that these are characters that have real, not virtual, but real life and emotions, like a real spirit in them?

Seriously, Mike? Seriously?

Disney Duster wrote:Also, I said books and lands, which does not mean going into past fairy tales, or fairy tales at all! It just means WORLDS from books. And it doesn't even have to be from books! Just something that is not fake virtual life. An original story that's not a fairy tale at all. Just not fake virtual life.
This movie is about a VG character jumping into different video game worlds. And what is it with you and "Fake virtual life"? It's like you hate anything digital and technological.
DC Fan
Anniversary Edition

Post by DC Fan »

Scamander wrote:Great, now I feel old. :lol:

PS. I'm 'only' 24 and can identify with 8-bit video games. The first console I remember playing with, was a NES, which was released in 1986 in Europe. I loved Super Mario Bros. 3 :P

...you´re not the only one. I´m 30.

But, seriously...that´s why there is all the 8 Bit era merchandise around.

To whom do you think Megaman 9 and 10 were targeted? Or Sonic Generations?

We are a target group! 8)
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

jennytablina wrote:Would there be any chance you could get a close up of the image with the video game villains talking with Ralph? I'm pretty sure the other two villians with Zangief are Bowser from Mario and Dr. Eggman from the Sonic the Hedgehog series.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

guy on the far left is Dr. Wily from Megaman.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Sotiris wrote:
jennytablina wrote:Would there be any chance you could get a close up of the image with the video game villains talking with Ralph? I'm pretty sure the other two villians with Zangief are Bowser from Mario and Dr. Eggman from the Sonic the Hedgehog series.
BOWSER AND DR. EGGMAN?! :o How did Disney get permission?!
jazzflower92
Anniversary Edition

Post by jazzflower92 »

disneyprincess11 wrote:
Sotiris wrote: Image
BOWSER AND DR. EGGMAN?! :o How did Disney get permission?!
I think they know people or are friends with people from Nintendo and Capcom. 8)
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

DC Fan wrote:
Scamander wrote:Great, now I feel old. :lol:
...you´re not the only one. I´m 30.
I grew up playing Intellivision and have a few years on both of you. :p