Wreck-It Ralph (formerly Reboot Ralph)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

ajmrowland wrote:yeah, it's just that somebody says that every time a new disney film comes out. Point of view, opinion, childhood are of the course the three primary factors into whether or not one thinks this movie is Disney, but it's grown to be an old phrase devoid of any meaning.
I guess the answer would be to watch a Disney film back-to-back with a Dreamworks, Ghibli, or Pixar film, and see if they feel exactly the same. Answer: they don't. There is a distinct feeling that is "Disney," just like there is a distinct feeling to films of most every studio out there.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
tweeb²
Limited Issue

Post by tweeb² »

Well, Oliver and Company had a lot of product placement also, does the product placement gets annoying, or there are just some scenes?

I don't know why they do that, I mean, they have lots of money already, I'm also of the opinion that they should have made up their own fictional products, if anything they could have made like limited editions of those brands! even if they make it with Nesquick or Subway it would be a great strategy as well.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

gardener14 wrote:I agree with there being too many product placements (the actual products, not the video game references and cameos). I found the product placements to be a huge turnoff and one of the (several) reasons why this felt like a movie made by another studio, not Disney. It cheapened the movie and made it feel more commercial and less artistic. They should have not had the product placements (ie. Coke, Subway, Oreos, etc.), and stuck with fictitious but familiar candy for the Sugar Rush scenes (like in 1970's Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory). Then it would have felt more artistic, more timeless and more Disney.
Willy Wonka is probably not the best example on your part, since that movie was partly produced by the Quaker Oaks Company so they could market a new line of chocolate bars.

Anyway, in regards to the product placement, I actually think Wreck-It Ralph used it the best way possible by cleverly inserting them into the jokes. The NesQuik bit was one of my favourite gags and I also loved the Oreo guards joke.

And personally, as much as I love the Disney films of old, I frankly feel the only rule they should stick by is to make quality family entertainment with great humour, strong pathos and heart, well-developed characters and artistic creativity. And I think Wreck-It Ralph hit all of those exceptionally well. I like when Disney also tries new things. There's a reason why Lilo & Stitch is one of my all-time favourite Disney films.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

DisneyEra wrote:Sotiris, did you like Wreck-it Ralph more than Tangled?
I need to re-watch Wreck-It Ralph to be sure but I think I liked it a bit more than Tangled.
tweeb² wrote:Well, Oliver and Company had a lot of product placement also, does the product placement gets annoying, or there are just some scenes?
With Oliver & Company it didn't feel like product placement because the labels and products were part of the environment and used to maintain a sense of authenticity of the New York landscape.

With Wreck-It Ralph, while some of the products were cleverly used as story devices or gags, others just felt gratuitous.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Wreck-It Ralph is not out yet in Malta. :(
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

estefan wrote:I frankly feel the only rule they should stick by is to make quality family entertainment with great humour, strong pathos and heart, well-developed characters and artistic creativity. And I think Wreck-It Ralph hit all of those exceptionally well.
I don't really agree. Ralph is probably the only really well-developed character in the film (naturally), and yet everything about him and his arc is a cliche at this point in animated films. All the other characters are pretty static, even though I like Vanellope. The other character I would say changes (Calhoun) does so in such a drastic way that, while funny (the ultimate point), I wouldn't call it reasonable or natural. In less words, she is developed, but not very well. And the only thing I would say is creative here is how the candies are utilized.

But, yes, I agree that the Oreos bit was hilarious at the time.
I like when Disney also tries new things. There's a reason why Lilo & Stitch is one of my all-time favourite Disney films.
I don't think there's anything "new" about this movie, tbh, though it is entertaining. Even 10 years later, I would say L&S comes across as more unique than this.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
CJ
Anniversary Edition

Post by CJ »

I think it is time for a new thread, so I am locking this one. Whoever starts the new thread, please be sure to provide a link back to this thread.