Wreck-It Ralph (formerly Reboot Ralph)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
DisneyDude2010
Special Edition

Post by DisneyDude2010 »

Welcome DisneyEra! :pink:

The toys look great, very quirky lol
All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

DisneyDude2010 wrote:Welcome DisneyEra! :pink:

The toys look great, very quirky lol
Thank you.
DisneyDude2010
Special Edition

Post by DisneyDude2010 »

OMG I'VE JUST REALIZED THAT THE 15 February 2013 IS THE UK RELEASE DATE. THAT WILL BE NEARLY A 2 YEAR GAP SINCE WINNIE THE POOH! (which I have no idea why it was shown earlier here...) :(
All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Isn't that pretty normal for Disney's winter releases? I seem to recall The Muppets and Tangled coming out in the UK in February.

Though, to be honest, in this age of wide-spread piracy, I think it's silly to not release a major release around the world at the same time. I understand if it's something like Tintin which is not as well known in North America, so they want to build international word-of-mouth. Or even building buzz by opening something a couple of weeks before in another country (as they did with The Avengers, The Amazing Spider-Man and Rio). But I've never understood Disney's practice of releasing their family films so many months after the fact in the United Kingdom.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
DisneyDude2010
Special Edition

Post by DisneyDude2010 »

Yes it is normal for them to do that! But I was hoping that since Pooh was released so early in 2011 that maybe WIW would have an early Winter Release :( Well... I'll guess I'll have to wait!
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

For some reason, Disney always seems to leave a huge gap between UK and US releases ..... I remember being on tenterhooks for Tangled, as that felt like a lifetimes wait !
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

Being somewhat a big gamer, I think this movie looks kind of interesting. The cameos of video game characters are the main thing that are drawing me in. There are some characters though that look like they will be kind of annoying, judging from the trailer. I am blanking on their names tough. Hopefully, it will not be another dud like Chicken Little.
Sky Syndrome
Anniversary Edition

Post by Sky Syndrome »

Sotiris wrote:Disney Holiday Gift Preview 2012: 'Wreck-It-Ralph' Toys Reveal 10 New Characters
http://pixartimes.com/2012/06/26/disney ... haracters/
Candy kids are making me hungry. :frog: My favorite is Adorabeezle Winterpop.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Title Treatment for “Wreck-It Ralph”
http://www.michaeldoret.com/blog/?p=1716
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Sotiris wrote:Title Treatment for “Wreck-It Ralph”
Extremely interesting, but did they really need to contact an outside designer to cook up the film's logo? Surely there are graphic designers and the like employed at WDAS, who could have done this just as well?

Crazy. :wink:
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

Jules wrote:
Sotiris wrote:Title Treatment for “Wreck-It Ralph”
Extremely interesting, but did they really need to contact an outside designer to cook up the film's logo? Surely there are graphic designers and the like employed at WDAS, who could have done this just as well?

Crazy. :wink:
Why does it matter? Clearly they saw something in his work that they felt the project would benefit from. Deciding who should do any given task is not as simple as this guy is a such and such, and that guy is a so and so. assign it to them and call it a day. Reaching outside of the company should be encouraged. Otherwise your just going to use the same inbred ideas over and over.
RyGuy
Special Edition

Post by RyGuy »

Kyle wrote:Reaching outside of the company should be encouraged. Otherwise your just going to use the same inbred ideas over and over.
Agreed. Here's hoping that such a paradigm shift at Disney might carry over to their marketing efforts.
akhenaten
Anniversary Edition

Post by akhenaten »

theyve been doing it for years now.just check each film's end credits.

i reckon duster likes this movie even less now since the title is outsourced ergo its not purely disney essence-ted :P
do you still wait for me Dream Giver?
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Well whatdya know, you're right, I don't like that very much either! I wonder if Walt ever did that.
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

Disney Duster wrote:Well whatdya know, you're right, I don't like that very much either! I wonder if Walt ever did that.
I don't want to be provocative, but in the light of such comments, do you remember what almost happened to Disney circa 1984?

Anyway, to answer your question; I have no idea at all. Movie logos back then weren't that big a deal like they are in Hollywood today. As such, the lettering in the titles back in the day could be different to the lettering on the posters, which in turn could be different from the lettering on the merchandise. I can imagine resident title makers existed at the studio (would you look at that, they even made a Disneyland show about it!). Needless to say, it wouldn't surprise me if freelancers did create publicity materials and illustrations for merchandise. It would be cheaper to do that than to constantly employ somebody when they may have periods where they have no work to do. In any case, the film's directors and producers, as well as the executives, would have to okay things.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Steve Hulett wrote:This morning I ambled about the hat building. The entry hall is festooned with Wreck-It Ralph displays: "Making of," in the case in the long hall, a big cardboard lobby display by the main desk. (I asked the guard sitting behind it how he could stand the same trailer sound track over and over. He said: "Not easy.")

Inside, the lighting department is into working Saturdays as the days before release dwindle away.

"We're down to just getting the picture done. I don't think there will be too many changes. There's no time. ..."

Meantime, some animators have gotten their lay-off dates. One of the lighters related: "There's going to be a four-month gap between Wreck-It and Frozen, and I don't think they'll hang onto anyone they don't need to keep."
Source: http://animationguildblog.blogspot.com/ ... t-diz.html
Prince Edward
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Edward »

Lay-off dates? Does Pixar animation lay-off their people between films? No, they do not. Not surprising that Walt Disney Animation Studios have been having a hard time for the last decade, they really should keep their people and build up the same kind of creative environment that Pixar enjoys. But corporate Disney are to greedy with their money, they don't realize that in order to maintain quality, build a strong brand and to earn money, they have to spend some money as well.
Last edited by Prince Edward on Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Favorite Disney-movies: Snow White, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan, Tarzan, Tangled, Frozen, Pirates, Enchanted, Prince of Persia, Tron, Oz The Great and Powerful
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

Prince Edward wrote:Lay-off dates? Does Pixar animation lay-off their people between films? No, they do not. Not surprising that Walt Disney Animation Studios have been having a hard time for the last decade, they really should keep their people and build up the same kind of creative environment that Pixar enjoys. But corporate Disney are to greedy with their money, they don't relalize that in order to maintain quality, build a strong brand and to earn money, they have to spend some money as well.
(From what I've heard from talking with contacts in the industry:) While Pixar doesn't lay off the percentage that Disney does, Pixar does actually lay some people off. But Pixar is the exception to the rule. Disney, Dreamworks, Sony, Blue Sky all work on the same model. It is unfortunate, and I do wish Disney kept on the number that Pixar does, but we shouldn't necessarily look DOWN on Disney for doing things this way.
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

Seems to me WDA just dosen't know what to make. After Wreck it Ralph, Disney has Frozen & are developing Big Hero 6 for 2014. But what's after that? Dreamworks Animation, on the other hand have 6 films coming after Rise of the Guardians! 3 films in 2013: The Croods, Turbo & Mr. Peabody & Sherman( Me & my Shadow will be released in 2014), along with How to train your Dragon 2 & Happy Smekday! Pixar has 4 films, Monsters U, The Good Dinosaur, Movie that Takes You Inside the Mind & Movie About Día de los Muertos! These studios have their projects set for the next 2-3 years, while Disney has only 1 film in deveopment after Frozen. Also, Disney is VERY secretive when it comes to their films for some reason. This could be 1 reason why DIsney layoffs animators, there's no work for them to do because they don't know what to do!