Wreck-It Ralph (formerly Reboot Ralph)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

At this point, arguing with Duster is like debating with a brick wall... and you do it by bashing your head into it. It is fun at first, but soon you grow numb and tired of it, and you lose intelligence because of it. :p

But like everybody has said, the argument is silly. The beauty of animation lies in that it can bring ANYTHING to life and give it emotion, feelings, and a soul (CONTROVERSIAL STATEMENT WARNING!). It is all an illusion, sure, but an illusion that calls to us in such a way that not even the greatest work of fiction can do.

We know to an extend that animals do feel a level of basic emotions, like pain, hunger, sadness, happiness and such. But they are just that, basic. However, in animation, you can further expand on that, giving them the ability to talk, react to what is going on around them in greater detail and developing a character in the most convincing way possible.

Same with cars and houses. Suzie the Little Blue Coupe (I think that's the name) was able to give A LOT of character to a car. Hell if you go back even further, early animation was about giving life to ANYTHING. Even the sun and the moon were given cartoony life in a very odd yet endearing way. Again that's the beauty of animation. So if animation was able to convince us that animals can fall in love beyond just their basic sexual desires and that cars can learn that in life there is more to it than just being the best, why can't it convince us that a video game character can have an existential crisis in his own digital universe?

Oh golly there was a name for that, geez... I know Uncle Walt said something about trying to take the IMPOSSIBLE and making it POSSIBLE... Oh golly gee, I can't find that argument... Oh wait here it is :)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/39z1MrlPYxE" frameborder="0"></iframe>
ImageImageImageImage

pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

Not to mention that it WILL be interesting how much life and soul they can give to video game characters. The problem is that movies based on video games have struggled to bring audiences in beyond gamers is because they are working with a franchise that at times doesn't have a defined story beyond the gameplay goal. You know, like "SAVE THE PRINCESS! KILL THE ALIENS! WIN THE FIGHTING TOURNAMENT! RIP HIS HEAD OFF!". Not to mention that the characters are often archetypes that don't have a deep story behind them. Mario is the unlikely hero, Sonic is the cool hero, Link is the epic hero, so on and so forth. So when they try to turn them into movie heroes, they fail because they don't really understand the characters and their universe.

Wreck-it-Ralph, however, is avoiding this by both taking a satirical look at the video game world while turning these characters into believable people beyond their archetypal roles. That's where the beauty of the film seems to lie at. And likely, this will make it the best video game based movie of all time, because rather than trying to adapt a video game, it is making its own video game and giving it substance and a reason of being.

Like I said, I can't wait to see how this will be further developed as they already have a lot of archetypes to work with here.
ImageImageImageImage

Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
FigmentJedi
Gold Classic Collection

Post by FigmentJedi »

Not sure what I'm looking at here. Merch Art? Art for the arcade cabinet of Sugar Rush in-movie? 2D Graphic elements for the Sugar Rush game?
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

FigmentJedi wrote:Not sure what I'm looking at here. Merch Art? Art for the arcade cabinet of Sugar Rush in-movie? 2D Graphic elements for the Sugar Rush game?
I'm guessing this is artwork of the Sugar Rush world and how its assets are presented in the "real world".

I really like how Ralph is looking in most of this artwork. Although I wonder, why haven't we seen CG artwork of any of the characters yet?
ImageImageImageImage

Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

None of you are getting that it's just the whole thing of virtual life. Do they have virtual emotions are real emotions? For the first time we have this question. Will I choose to believe they have real emotions? Yes, that's the Disney way. But honestly, this is the first time we've had to wonder. Maks me think Walt wouldn't want that.
DisneyAnimation88 wrote:
"Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious.....And curiosity keeps leading us down new paths."
Yea. And he did a fairy tale how many times?
Heartless wrote:Animals don't have 'real emotions' or a living soul or whatever you're talking about either, and look at all the Disney movies based around animals that you adore.
Animals do have real emotions. And maybe they do have a soul. Catholics believe they have animal souls, different from humans but still souls.
Last edited by Disney Duster on Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heartless
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Heartless »

Disney Duster wrote:None of you are getting that it's just the whole thing of virtual life. Do they have virtual emotions are real emotions? For the first time we have this question. Will I choose to believe they have real emotions? Yes, that's the Disney way. But honestly, this is the first time we've had to wonder. Maks me think Walt wouldn't want that.
Yes, I understand what you are saying. No, I don't agree with your view. No, I never once questioned whether they would have 'virtual' emotions or 'real' emotions.. because emotions are emotions. I don't give a damn, because petty things like this aren't important. The character is real (it doesn't matter if he lives in a virtual world, he is REAL and brought to life), and therefore his emotions are real. The audience response to the character will be just as real. Just because the setting of the character is not in the 'real world' doesn't mean the character cannot be real... I'm driving myself crazy thinking about how someone can't come to terms with this concept.
Disney Duster wrote:
DisneyAnimation88 wrote:"Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious.....And curiosity keeps leading us down new paths."
Yes, normally to earn money. Fairy tales, he figured out, were popular and easy to adapt into a film.
Disney Duster wrote:Animals do have real emotions. And maybe they do have a soul. Catholics believe they have animal souls, different from humans but still souls.
Emotions in animals is a touchy and not defined subject. What I meant by "real emotions" was basically emotions on the same level as human beings.. (I assume this is what you were describing when you created the term...), but this is absolutely false. That's not to say some animals can't feel a stroke of happiness or sadness.. but even if thats true, it doesn't stretch much beyond that. And its neither your nor my place to say whether animals do, in fact, feel any sort of emotions.

The main point is, the characters in Wreck-It Ralph have more "real emotion" than any animal.

Still, I think your line of thinking is completely absurd and you need to learn to be more open-minded... but that's my advise. Take it or leave it, I honestly don't care.
"Good and bad are labels created by people. Nature doesn't have such concepts."
jazzflower92
Anniversary Edition

Post by jazzflower92 »

:D

My expectations for this movie has gone up again as more info is released.I have a feeling that Disney is getting its major mojo back and its just going to get better.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Heartless wrote:The main point is, the characters in Wreck-It Ralph have more "real emotion" than any animal.
Unless it's all virtual! Nyuck nyuck nyuck.

My point however was that at least Disney always worked with real emotions or giving inanimate objects real emotions. Sure animals don't talk in English but the point was maybe they can think and feel and talk in their own language and now the movie gives us a way to understand them. Here, it could be just virtual emotions, but we'll have to think they're real emotions.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

We have seen a 3D image of the girl character (I forget her name; it’s something long and related to candy/sugar, I believe) a while back.

Anyway, I think the art here looks really interesting. I definitely want to see this, and I have hopes that’ll turn out well.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
FlyingPiggy
Limited Issue

Post by FlyingPiggy »

The designs are so ugly. You've let me down Disney :headshake:
Scamander
Special Edition

Post by Scamander »

Disney Duster wrote:None of you are getting that it's just the whole thing of virtual life. Do they have virtual emotions are real emotions? For the first time we have this question. Will I choose to believe they have real emotions? Yes, that's the Disney way. But honestly, this is the first time we've had to wonder. Maks me think Walt wouldn't want that.
Duster, really? I mean, seriously, sometimes when I read your post I think immediately of something we Germans would call 'Realsatire'. I don't know if there's a proper English word for, it describes the feeling you have when you are in a situation that is so crazy (like some discussions with you), you think it must be a joke. Like the other person is acting totally serious but you only can think of satire, when you are arguing with her. (Think of any Sarah Palin speech and you know which feeling I mean)

The point is- the characters ARE real, they live, they have desires- they ARE real- at least as much as any animated Disney character, which are also only paintings in the first place.
DisneyAnimation88 wrote:"Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious.....And curiosity keeps leading us down new paths."
Three (!) times. Out of 20 films, he was involved with!
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

FlyingPiggy wrote:The designs are so ugly. :headshake:
So is your username.
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
Heartless
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Heartless »

Disney Duster wrote:My point however was that at least Disney always worked with real emotions or giving inanimate objects real emotions. Sure animals don't talk in English but the point was maybe they can think and feel and talk in their own language and now the movie gives us a way to understand them. Here, it could be just virtual emotions, but we'll have to think they're real emotions.
You find a new argument against every new Disney film that comes out. It's not a "true" fairy tale. It doesn't follow the original source material completely. The characters won't have "real emotions" (WTF does this even mean!?). It's not what Walt would have wanted.. :roll:

Stop complaining about petty little things like this, put nostalgia aside for a minute, and actually enjoy the film.
"Good and bad are labels created by people. Nature doesn't have such concepts."
jazzflower92
Anniversary Edition

Post by jazzflower92 »

Wreck Ralph will be the bomb because of the fact it has a great premise,interesting characters,and possibly has memorable heartwarming moments.

Say,you guys do you get the feeling that Pixar is rubbing off on Disney because of the fact this seems like a Pixar film with Disney's touch.If that is the case then they could possibly redeem CGI films from being pop culture and toilet humour based humour to actually being up there with their 2D animated counterparts.

It also makes me think what Walt Disney would have thought of video games because he died way before they came out.
RyGuy
Special Edition

Post by RyGuy »

I think he would have approved. Main Street USA at Disneyland has always had the Penny Arcade which is (or at least before they turned it into another store) filled with (really) old school games.

In terms of whether he would have embraced video games, of course we can only speculate, but considering things he pioneered/championed like Audio Animatronics (which could be considered next gen from puppetry or even acting), I think it's a good probability he would have at least been intrigued by the evolution from the stuff that filled the Penny Arcade into the electronic stuff that filled the arcades of the 80's.
jazzflower92
Anniversary Edition

Post by jazzflower92 »

RyGuy wrote:I think he would have approved. Main Street USA at Disneyland has always had the Penny Arcade which is (or at least before they turned it into another store) filled with (really) old school games.

In terms of whether he would have embraced video games, of course we can only speculate, but considering things he pioneered/championed like Audio Animatronics (which could be considered next gen from puppetry or even acting), I think it's a good probability he would have at least been intrigued by the evolution from the stuff that filled the Penny Arcade into the electronic stuff that filled the arcades of the 80's.
Disney the man of inovation and always looking at that great big beautiful tommorow.I think if Walt lived today he would be considered an otaku for innovation.An otaku is a japanese word for someone has a particular fascination for a subject take for example an anime otaku which a person who has a deep fascination with anime.

But the thing is also I also wonder how Walt would wonder about computer animation because if I remember is the fact in Walt's day a computer took up a whole room.Man,part of me could see him getting fascinated and having ideas of what movies he could do using computer animation.

I am also interested in penny arcades because they seem like good old fun for people who wonder what did people played before video game arcades came into existence.I wonder if anyone could revive the concept of penny arcades or its impossible now.
RyGuy
Special Edition

Post by RyGuy »

^^ Well the price is certainly right - lol!

My 4 year old wanted to play a car racing game last week that cost $1. Evidently I haven't played a video game in a long while!
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

jazzflower92 wrote:.An otaku is a japanese word for someone has a particular fascination for a subject take for example an anime otaku which a person who has a deep fascination with anime..
Wrong. Otaku is actually a derogatory term to people with unhealthy obsession over particular subject (anime, military, video games etc). That's its true meaning and definition of the term. These people that are called that are often shunned and disliked by society.

Trust me, you do NOT want be called that nor should you not want to be "proud" of yourself with that title. I hate it when people don't know the real term of something they think they know about. -___-
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

RyGuy wrote:I think he would have approved. Main Street USA at Disneyland has always had the Penny Arcade which is (or at least before they turned it into another store) filled with (really) old school games.

I know. I just mean he never made a film about animatronics or video games saying their fake emotions should be taken seriously. Instead, he always chose humans or animals with real emotions or put real emotions into inanimate objects. I just wonder. I don't want what Walt intended for Disney to get messed up, you know? Sure we can bet they made these virtual characters have real emotions but for the first time the question can be asked are they real or virtual and I honestly don't think Walt would have wanted that.
Scamander wrote:
Three (!) times. Out of 20 films, he was involved with!
Yes, and he also made lots more that had to do with magic and were like fairy tales, all of them had to do with fantasy, nature, and organic real life things, not anything fake or virtual, and to add, things that are more "clasic" than modern, hence the term Disney Animated Classics.