Zootopia

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Zootopia

Post by Disney's Divinity »

It's going to hit a million, that's pretty much a given.

EDIT: I meant billion, sorry. :lol:
Last edited by Disney's Divinity on Wed May 18, 2016 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

Atlantica wrote:Any news if the movie is close to a billion world wide yet ? Keeping everything crossed !
Zoo needs only $42million to top the Billion Mark. And it ALL depends on it's run in Japan. Zoo was #1 last weekend in it's 3rd weekend, with $28million grossed so far. I've heard that it will have a long, leggy run in Japan with virtually no competition til July, so if Zoo continues to do well, Japan will push it to the Billion Mark :up: Stay tuned!
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Ooooo yay ! Jolly good news all round :D
Hogi Bear
Special Edition
Location: New Zealand - Population: 60+ Million Sheep Origin: Unknown

Post by Hogi Bear »

It's at $971 million worldwide, so just $29 million to go. I'm not sure if Zootopia will be able to maintain its healthy weekly grosses in the US or not, with the home media release just 3 weeks away.

Japan, according to Box Office Mojo's data, had a drop for the weekly total ($7 million), but a rise in the weekend total ($4.2 million). With the weekend showing strong, it will hopefully mean that the previous week was a one off and this weeks totals will hopefully go back up. Zootopia is maintaining its number 1 Box Office position in Japan quite easily so far. http://www.boxofficemojo.com/intl/japan ... =20&p=.htm It will only need to make another $20 million (give or take) from Japan to hit a billion and that's not taking into account any other international numbers. Probably 2 to 3 weeks, unless the weekly Japanese totals don't rise, then maybe 4 or 5 weeks.

Edit: Just Realised after reading DisneyEra's post that I typed $971 billion instead of million - first film to nearly hit a trillion dollars, yeah!
Last edited by Hogi Bear on Wed May 18, 2016 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
No signature needed - Kyoto Animation put out some beautiful animation
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

Hogi Bear wrote:It's at $971 billion worldwide, so just $29 million to go. I'm not sure if Zootopia will be able to maintain its healthy weekly grosses in the US or not, with the home media release just 3 weeks away.

Japan, according to Box Office Mojo's data, had a drop for the weekly total ($7 million), but a rise in the weekend total ($4.2 million). With the weekend showing strong, it will hopefully mean that the previous week was a one off and this weeks totals will hopefully go back up. Zootopia is maintaining its number 1 Box Office position in Japan quite easily so far. http://www.boxofficemojo.com/intl/japan ... =20&p=.htm It will only need to make another $20 million (give or take) from Japan to hit a billion and that's not taking into account any other international numbers. Probably 2 to 3 weeks, unless the weekly Japanese totals don't rise, then maybe 4 or 5 weeks.

Weekend Actuals (05/14-15)/2016年05月14日-2016年05月15日
01 (01) ¥458,930,800 ($4.2 million), +19%, ¥3,728,873,500 ($35.0 million), Zootopia (Disney) WK4
02 (---) ¥194,881,200 ($1.8 million), 0, ¥229,764,400 ($2.1 million), The Magnificent Nine (Shochiku) NEW
03 (---) ¥184,709,900 ($1.7 million), 0, ¥184,709,900 ($1.7 million), If Cats Disappeared from the World (Toho) NEW
04 (02) ¥183,598,100 ($1.7 million), -34%, ¥5,432,868,900 ($50.1 million), Detective Conan: The Darkest Nightmare (Toho) WK5
05 (03) ¥168,813,900 ($1.6 million), -35%, ¥708,688,300 ($6.8 million), 64: Part 1 (Toho) WK2
06 (04) ¥140,954,600 ($1.3 million), -37%, ¥2,154,707,900 ($20.0 million), Captain America: Civil War (Disney) WK3
07 (09) ¥100,020,900 ($921,000), +26%, ¥631,429,200 ($5.8 million), Yu-Gi-Oh! The Dark Side of Dimensions (Toei) WK4
08 (06) ¥78,483,500 ($722,000), -30%, ¥1,787,122,100 ($16.7 million), Crayon Shin-chan: Assault on the Dreaming World (Toho) WK5
09 (07) ¥72,963,900 ($671,000), -30%, ¥1,319,017,700 ($12.5 million), I Am a Hero (Toho) WK4
10 (08) ¥65,194,500 ($600,000), -37%, ¥942,081,400 ($8.8 million), Chihayafuru - Part 2 (Toho) WK3

>Zootopia wins its second-consecutive week atop the box office, after climbing to the number one position last weekend, its third week of release. Walt Disney's latest hit saw a very, very impressive 20% jump in admissions, selling 351,049 tickets over its fourth weekend of release; bring its four week admissions above 2.9 million. Its fourth weekend, in terms of gross and admissions, ranks as its second biggest weekend-to-date (behind its second weekend).

The film may have started off below expectations, but it's now well on its way in exceeding them. A very conservative projection now is that it'll exceed the ¥5 billion ($45 million+) blockbuster milestone, but there's no reason anymore doubt that it's going to go comfortably higher than that mark. Its actually been improving upon its weekday performance (Monday, yesterday, was up once again versus last week) and has been playing a bit better in the evening than during its first couple weeks in release. All of this indicates positive WOM has definitely spread, and it's begun to attract a very wide audience that includes adults.

So, given that it's just now found its stride and has yet to find its peak, even after four weeks, there is a lot of potential here for a huge run still to come that'll probably go into July. I wouldn't be too surprised if it's able to eventually exceed ¥7 billion ($65 million+), which would give it a multiplier above 15 (on par with Big Hero 6).
Hogi Bear
Special Edition

Post by Hogi Bear »

Good to hear its Monday was up from the previous week. Aeon has apparently increased its availability for Zootopia (as I mentioned on the previous page), so it looks like they have learnt what a Disney animated film is capable of. If this week is the same as its second week, then expect a $14 million week and if it can maintain that then it will make over $100 million in Japan. I personally expect it to make no less than $80, just because exhibitors (Aeon at least) seem to have realised that availability is what hampered previous Disney animated films and that they were adding more screens after taking them away and this film seems to be more universally appealing. All based, of course, on what I have read, not from first hand knowledge.

Six weeks at $14 million would be another $84 million, which equals $119 million total
Six weeks at $10 million would be another $60 million, which equals $95 million total

It seems that a Disney animated film can easily maintain its numbers, with a little fluctuation. Civil War will pass the billion dollar mark first, then Zootopia will get there after that. I still think it can end up with a $1.07 billion final total or possibly more.
Warm Regards
Special Edition

Post by Warm Regards »

So... thank tumblr for this.

Anyone care for a deleted (and fully animated!) scene from the movie?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9kLl_MrAfo[/youtube]

Zootopia "Detective work" deleted scene

EDIT: Apparently all the deleted scenes have leaked. Good luck if you want to see them, I have the feeling it won't last forever. Not until the official June release date, anyway.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Thanks for the link, Warm Regards. Not only all the deleted scenes are on that YouTube channel, but also all the Blu-ray extras. I've seen that the entire 28 minutes of deleted scenes with introductions are also on YouTube, but probably for a short time as you said. I’ve only seen some of them because I want to save the rest for when I buy the Blu-ray, but the extras look as good as I had hoped.

Here are even more fans' questions answered by Byron Howard:

Source: https://twitter.com/ByronPHoward/status ... 1496877056

And regarding box office, Zootopia has been overtaken by Civil War, which is now the number one film internationally and also the first movie of 2016 to cross the $1 billion mark. But Zootopia has $981 million now, so it's almost there too.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/b ... ica-896018
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

The Full trailer for Illumination's SING! What do you guys think. Looks good or a Zootopia wanna-be?
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zvjmt4pwtdg[/youtube]
jazzflower92
Anniversary Edition

Post by jazzflower92 »

DisneyEra wrote:The Full trailer for Illumination's SING! What do you guys think. Looks good or a Zootopia wanna-be?
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zvjmt4pwtdg[/youtube]
It looks more like your standard talking animal flick. I would say that the gorillas' story is the most interesting due to the fact that he's trying to get away from a life of crime. However, from the looks of things they are going to jumble together so many storylines that it could hurt the movie. Overall, it does feel like a poor man's Zootopia due to the fact that it plays straight what you see in every other anthro animal movie. In Zootopia, the writers went into detail how the world was a place created by animals for animals instead of just replacing our normal human world with talking animals. And of course the thing that sets Zootopia from most animal movies, is the fact it emphasizes that only mammals who are not apes or marine mammals have gain sentience. Unlike any other animal movie, Zootopia fully goes into detail what would happened if humanity never came to be and mammals gained human sentience.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

I find it interesting it's an ensemble film with interconnecting characters with individual stories in the vein of something like Magnolia or Nashville. That's not something we often see in animated features.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Hogi Bear
Special Edition

Post by Hogi Bear »

So this weekend was up for Japan $4,579,568, but the week as a whole was around $7 million, so the number is similar to last week. It will likely keep up these numbers, so the final number for Japan may be between $75 to $110 million. I believe I read somewhere that Zootopia is being released on home media in July for Japan, but I haven't found where I read it, so that could be wrong. So if the July release date is correct, we have 6 to 9 weeks left in the cinemas (it will likely still be at the cinemas after the home media release, but will drop in amount).

$983,771,801 ($41,322,552 for Japan).

All numbers according to http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?pa ... ey2016.htm
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

ZOOTOPIA
Hopping with another $4M this frame, Zootopia has taken its offshore cume to $655.6M. With a foxy global total of $991.8M, another $1B worldwide grosser looks all but assured at this point for Disney. It’s still playing in 21 material territories and has Turkey to potentially give it a leg over when it bows there on June 10. Japan has been driving the box office of late. The drop this frame was just 18% after steady climbs the past several weeks. This was its 4th consecutive frame at No. 1 and the total there is $50M.

Source: Deadline.com

Just $8 million to a Billion :dance:

Also on a sad not regarding The Lion King per Box Office Mojo:

As a brief aside, some may have also noticed Zootopia passed The Lion King at the worldwide box office recently while also noticing The Lion King's international total on BoxOfficeMojo declined $19 million on Thursday afternoon. This came as a result of a correction issued by Disney to BoxOfficeMojo, alerting us the original release of The Lion King made $450.6 million internationally, an additional $3.8 million with the 2002 IMAX reissue, and another $91.3 million from 2011's 3D reissue for an international total of $545.7 million. As a result, The Lion King now ranks 29th on Mojo's all-time worldwide chart with $968.5 million.
Hogi Bear
Special Edition

Post by Hogi Bear »

If Deadline's $50 million is correct, then Zootopia is up for the week in Japan. That's nearly $9 compared to last week's $7 million. That's pretty good, just eight and a bit million to go and it will likely hit that by the end of the upcoming weekend. Very exciting!

Once the weekend's actual numbers are confirmed, we'll see if the estimates were right. The number could go up or down, but it will still be around $8 million to go.
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

Really Blue Sky :roll:
Attachments
tumblr_o7nbr0pFSV1rji6xro1_1280.jpg
tumblr_o7nbr0pFSV1rji6xro1_1280.jpg (70.99 KiB) Viewed 10747 times
CjufcO6WsAETvKL.jpg
CjufcO6WsAETvKL.jpg (92.04 KiB) Viewed 10747 times
Hogi Bear
Special Edition

Post by Hogi Bear »

Posted on Tue May 31, 2016 10:50 am, Hogi Bear Originally wrote:So good news, according to Box Office Mojo, Zootopia has hit $2,147,483,647 in Japan. Or maybe someone can see the future? Anyway, reality is that it's probably meant to be $47,483,647. So that will be just over $6 million for the week. $1 billion will probably take a little longer than the end of this week then.

According to the chart, every film in the top 5 made over $100 million this week! No doubt it will get fixed soon, when they realise something has gone wrong. It hasn't changed the numbers for domestic or international on their website.
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/intl/japan ... =22&p=.htm
So the numbers have been corrected for Japan. $48,351,225 total, which is $7,028,673 for the week and $3,979,600 for the weekend. This is around the same amount as last week (for the week), so it has been stable for the last three weeks at around $7 million per week ($6.4 million for the first of these).

Worldwide numbers as of Monday are $993,664,834 (international $657,500,000 / domestic $336,164,834). The long weekend numbers are $1,121,189 for the four days (including Friday) for the US.

$6,335,166 to go for the $1 billion dollar mark! :D

All numbers according to Box Office Mojo.
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

Victurtle
Special Edition

Post by Victurtle »

Congratulations WDAS! Zootopia has now passed the $1 billion mark at the box office!
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

Mission Accomplished!!
Attachments
tumblr_o8b1weFWx41rdvdi2o1_1280.jpg
tumblr_o8b1weFWx41rdvdi2o1_1280.jpg (105.24 KiB) Viewed 10196 times
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Yyyyaaaaaaaiiiiiissssssssssss !!!

Well done everybody ! So very well deserved. Though yes, it is sad that so much worth is measured by financial success with Disney; I look at it as a massive positive so that the movie won't be forgotten by Disney.

Brilliant news :up: