Zootopia

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disneyphile
Special Edition

Zootopia

Post by Disneyphile »

Tangled directors Nathan Greno and Byron Howard have revealed that they will reunite for a new animated Disney feature.

Howard told Digital Spy that he and Greno starting pitching ideas to Walt Disney Animation Studios' chief creative officer John Lasseter during the making of their 3D Rapunzel movie.
http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/news/a ... movie.html
Last edited by Disneyphile on Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MJW
Special Edition

Post by MJW »

That's cool. When I first saw the title of the thread, I thought you meant Mandy Moore and Zachary Levi were going to be in another movie together. :lol:
"If it's not Baroque, don't fix it!" - Cogsworth | My Blu-ray collection | My Studio Ghibli blog
PheR
Special Edition

Post by PheR »

That's actually good news, since they sure learned lots of stuff in the process of making 'Tangled' and seeing the results it had, they could make a much better movie than 'Tangled' next.
I'ts enough for this restless warrior just to be with you...
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

MJW wrote:That's cool. When I first saw the title of the thread, I thought you meant Mandy Moore and Zachary Levi were going to be in another movie together. :lol:
Me too. And you know what, I'd actually love to watch a romcom with them. :lol:
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

Nathan Greno and Byron Howard:
The new "Gary Trousdale and Kirk Wise" or "Ron and Jon" wannabes.
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

MJW wrote:That's cool. When I first saw the title of the thread, I thought you meant Mandy Moore and Zachary Levi were going to be in another movie together. :lol:
I actually thought a Tangled 2 had been announced. :lol:

Anyway, yay for them. :D
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

Wonderlicious wrote:I actually thought a Tangled 2 had been announced. :lol:
That's what I thought too. :p :lol:
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Super Aurora wrote:Nathan Greno and Byron Howard:
I know your posts then to be very tongue-in-cheek (as even more evidenced by that "wtf?" image of Mickey Mouse in your avatar), but it's not that unusual for two people to pair up, find a connection and work together in the animation world. In addition to Trousdale & Wise and Clements & Musker (who were the first people that came to my mind when I read the thread title), there's also Don Bluth and Gary Goldman, Dean DeBlois and Chris Sanders, Hamilton Luske and Wilfred Jackson, Joseph Barbera and William Hanna, Jules Bass and Arthur Rankin, Jr. and the list goes on.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Disneyphile
Special Edition

Post by Disneyphile »

I'll take "Misleading Titles" for $600, Alex! I changed the title of the thread so nobody else is confused.
Last edited by Disneyphile on Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

wannabes?

Both Bolt and Tangled were better reviewed and made more money than The Princess and the Frog. I'm not saying TPatF wasn't great or whatever, but calling them wannabes is kind ignorant. We should be happy new talent is developing at Disney. :)
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

PatrickvD wrote:
wannabes?

Both Bolt and Tangled were better reviewed and made more money than The Princess and the Frog. I'm not saying TPatF wasn't great or whatever, but calling them wannabes is kind ignorant. We should be happy new talent is developing at Disney. :)
Mermaid and Aladdin are also cultural icons at this point. Which is more than Bolt and Tangled could hope for. Besides, we know by now that money doesn't = quality (TP&TF getting some of the best reviews Disney's got in quite a few years).

Overall, I'm kind of ambivalent to them. I liked both Bolt and Tangled (the former more than the latter, tbh), so I'm sure nothing they could make would be bad. Still, I'm not expecting anything amazing either.

I'm expecting whatever they do will be CG, too?
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

Disney's Divinity wrote:
PatrickvD wrote: wannabes?

Mermaid and Aladdin are also cultural icons at this point. Which is more than Bolt and Tangled could hope for. Besides, we know by now that money doesn't = quality (TP&TF getting some of the best reviews Disney's got in quite a few years).

Overall, I'm kind of ambivalent to them. I liked both Bolt and Tangled (the former more than the latter, tbh), so I'm sure nothing they could make would be bad. Still, I'm not expecting anything amazing either.

I'm expecting whatever they do will be CG, too?
You contradicted yourself in your own sentence with "at this point." Well, "at this point" is twenty years after Mermaid and Aladdin were released. While I don't see Bolt becoming a cultural icon, I sure do see Rapunzel becoming one. There's just no way to judge the two in comparison with each other, because times are so different than they were twenty years ago.

As for me, I'm extremely glad to hear this. I can't wait to hear what it is. I think they have exactly what Disney needs - traditional, emotional storytelling, with contemporary humor.
FigmentJedi
Gold Classic Collection

Post by FigmentJedi »

I'm guessing the revived version of King of the Elves is what they're referring to.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

SWillie! wrote: There's just no way to judge the two in comparison with each other, because times are so different than they were twenty years ago.
Exactly. That's why I personally don't see Tangled becoming a cultural icon. It'll be successful, don't get me wrong--it already has been. The same way I see Pocahontas or Mulan as successful. And Rapunzel will of course always be a part of the huge money-making princess line (which is where Aurora finally got any recognition). Still, I don't think it'll ever reach the heights of Disney's top films, and that's the real difference. I doubt it'll ever sit alongside Snow White, Cinderella, Dalmatians, or, yes, Mermaid in the public's mind (neither will TP&TF, tbh, though I love it). If nothing more than because it hasn't set any records. With most of Disney's most well-recognized classics, there's either a lot of longevity (like Pinocchio or Sleeping Beauty--which, let's just be honest, Tangled is not) or it managed to top previous sales records for the company--as all of the 'Fab Four' did.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Poody
Anniversary Edition

Post by Poody »

First off, these two guys are great. I had the pleasure of meeting them at the movie premiere.....

Now if they can create magic again, like with Tangled.... YAY! But it's it's another Bolt..... ew!
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyAnimation88 »

I don't think its King of the Elves. According to the recent rumours about the film its being directed by Chris Williams so this must be a completely new project.
We're not going to Guam, are we?
mariadny
Gold Classic Collection

Post by mariadny »

Poody wrote:
Now if they can create magic again, like with Tangled.... YAY! But it's it's another Bolt..... ew!
I agree
Bolt is not a bad movie, but is a normal film, with no emotions.
Tangled is awesome, wonderful, incredible....is DISNEY MAGIC.
I need more Tangleds...
VISITTTTT, SPANISH DISNEY FORUM
http://animacionud.mforos.com/
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Disney's Divinity wrote:
PatrickvD wrote: wannabes?

the thing though is that Bolt and Tangled were both better reviewed than TPatF. I know people now two years later love to pretend as if Bolt was a lovely yet simple little film. But it got better reviews than TPatF.

I mean, this for example:
mariadny wrote:Bolt is not a bad movie, but is a normal film, with no emotions.
watch it again and this time with your eyes open. :wink:
David S.
Special Edition

Post by David S. »

PatrickvD wrote:
Disney's Divinity wrote:Mermaid and Aladdin are also cultural icons at this point. Which is more than Bolt and Tangled could hope for. Besides, we know by now that money doesn't = quality (TP&TF getting some of the best reviews Disney's got in quite a few years).
the thing though is that Bolt and Tangled were both better reviewed than TPatF. I know people now two years later love to pretend as if Bolt was a lovely yet simple little film. But it got better reviews than TPatF.

I mean, this for example:
mariadny wrote:Bolt is not a bad movie, but is a normal film, with no emotions.
watch it again and this time with your eyes open. :wink:
I agree. I LOVED Bolt and found it VERY touching. I really can't think of anything I disliked about it. I enjoyed Tangled very much as well, so I have nothing but a positive opinion of this directing team.

I also really enjoyed the other recent WDAS films, Princess and the Frog and Meet the Robinsons. And I'm really looking forward to the new Pooh film.

I think WDAS is on a real hot streak as far as the quality of their work and storytelling, and I am looking forward to all future projects, both traditional and CGI.
"Feed the birds, tuppence a bag"- Mary Poppins
"How high does the sycamore grow? If you cut it down, then you'll never know"- Pocahontas
"I do not make films primarily for children. I make them for the child in all of us, whether he be six or sixty. Call the child innocence." - Walt Disney
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

DisneyAnimation88 wrote:I don't think its King of the Elves. According to the recent rumours about the film its being directed by Chris Williams so this must be a completely new project.

Dare I suggest that it could be The Snow Queen :float:
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx