Zootopia

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Prince Kido
Gold Classic Collection

Re: Byron Howard's Zootopia

Post by Prince Kido »

It is not at all the logo of Zootopia, don't worry ! ;)
About the silhouettes, here are Nick the fox, Judy the female rabbit and another character who is not a chihuahua. ;)
Zootopia is very exciting and I truly can't wait.
Btw, Honey, GoGo and Wasabi from BH6 are on the left side of this wall while Flynn, Rapunzel and Pascal from Tangled are on the right one. ^^
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Prince Kido wrote:another character who is not a chihuahua. ;)
It looks like a fennec fox like the one Disney artists were drawing at the studio recently.
Prince Kido wrote:Zootopia is very exciting and I truly can't wait.
I have a hard time getting excited about Zootopia. Movies starring animals don't really interest me. I much prefer human-centered ones. I wish Byron Howard was directing Giants and Nathan Greno was doing Zootopia instead. I just think Byron is more talented and has a better understanding of storytelling as well as musical structure, and now with Frozen's success he wouldn't have to hold back on that aspect like they did with Tangled. Giants would have been a great opportunity to get his hands on a more challenging project of a larger scale. Zootopia seems like a much smaller, confined film in comparison. Of course, that's purely speculation on my part.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Prince Kido wrote:while Flynn, Rapunzel and Pascal from Tangled are on the right one. ^^
What about Tiana and Naveen?! Don't tell me they're ignoring them :huh:
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Sotiris wrote:I have a hard time getting excited about Zootopia. Movies starring animals don't really interest me. I much prefer human-centered ones.
I've always liked Disney's animal-centered movies, but rather the naturalistic ones. But this project doesn't sound appealing to me. It seems too "Madagascar".
I wish Byron Howard was directing Giants and Nathan Greno was doing Zootopia instead. I just think Byron is more talented and has a better understanding of storytelling as well as musical structure, and now with Frozen's success he wouldn't have to hold back on that aspect like they did with Tangled. Giants would have been a great opportunity to get his hands on a more challenging project of a larger scale. Zootopia seems like a much smaller, confined film in comparison. Of course, that's purely speculation on my part.
To be honest, I lost respect for both of them (and Lasseter) when I learned that Menken and Slater were not allowed to come up with their own ideas. Of course there could be various (oconomical) reasons for it, but still. But I'm looking forward to "Giants", since it's seem more as a classical Disney fairy tale. I would like if it was better than "Tangled" and "Frozen".
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Right now, I'm not interested in Zootopia. Hopefully, the teaser that we should be getting in late Summer will change my mind. Wreck-It Ralph's trailers changed my mind and I was BLOWN away by the movie.

And yes, I wish it was Giants/Moana for next year. At least, we're getting one of the movies, instead of the 2 in 2018. I'm looking forward to Giants a tiny bit more because it sounds like another great Disney fairytale. I wonder what happened and what made it delayed because it was doing great up until its unofficial announcement in 2013.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

DisneyFan09 wrote:To be honest, I lost respect for both of them when I learned that Menken and Slater were not allowed to come up with their own ideas.
It's my understanding that was mandated by studio management (i.e. Lasseter). It's weird though that the studio gave the Lopez team the go-ahead for a full-blown musical and gave them such creative carte blanche to the point the directors rewrote the entire film based on their idea for Let It Go and Elsa's character. You'd think they'd want to replicate Tangled's musical structure as it was their biggest hit under Lasseter. It looks like a blatant case of favoritism to me.
Prince Kido
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Prince Kido »

It's bad that some of you believe what's on internet regarding the Menken stories.
Greno and Howard are very good directors and Tangled was such a complicated production to handle for them, not to mention the big pressure they had with so many cooks in the kitchen.
I think they both deserve some respect because they are very kind, talented and don't have big egos as many people in animaton industry.
Plus, they proved that they can achieve a great work and Tangled was such a great success over worldwide, and thanks to Tangled, the studio did Frozen.
Byron Howard is currently directing his movie, Zootopia, and I can tell you how much he is funny, passionate and humble director.
People who claims to be fans of Disney Animation are in fact only fans of fairytales stories whatever they are well written and directed...or not!
I am one of those who also prefer humans as main characters, but I don't forget how many great movies we had with animals as protagonists in the past and how much they touched my heart.
Zootopia is nothing you saw before. It's not Madagascar, or Kung Fu Panda, neither Robin Hood !
The universe Byron Howard and his team created for Zootopia is full of fun and original with such clever ideas.
And the story is modern with great characters like Disney use to deliver.
I'm tired to see people so excited about Moana or Giants while they know nothing for now.
Come on guys, the next Disney movie is Zootopia and for all what I saw and know, it's amazing and very exciting, not to mention that as a Disney female leading fan, I absolutely love Judy Hopps.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Your enthusiasm sure is infectious, Prince Kido! I'm sure more people will warm up to the movie when more info or material gets released. I've heard that the movie will have a sort of Wreck-It Ralph dynamic with its two leads, meaning the story will focus more on Judy Hopps even though Nick Wilde is supposedly the protagonist. Is that true?
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Sotiris wrote:It's my understanding that was mandated by studio management (i.e. Lasseter). It's weird though that the studio gave the Lopez team the go-ahead for a full-blown musical and gave them such creative carte blanche to the point the directors rewrote the entire film based on their idea for Let It Go and Elsa's character. You'd think they'd want to replicate Tangled's musical structure as it was their biggest hit under Lasseter. It looks like a blatant case of favoritism to me.
I know, right?

What are your thoughts about "Tangled" and "Frozen", btw?
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

I've always liked Disney's animal-centered movies, but rather the naturalistic ones.

same here. I prefer animal movies like Lion King, Oliver & Co, and Bambi to "furry" stuff like Robin Hood and Chicken Little. Basically I dont mind animals talking and acting human like but within the context of they still existing in a human world. Which is why I also dont mind movies like Rescuers and American Tail. I dont know why that is but...there it is. :\
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

I think it's good to see Disney alternate between human-centered stories and animal-centered stories. It was always weird to me that despite the humoungous success of The Lion King, Disney still focused heavily on animated films with human leads for the next number of years. Personally, I like both types, but they can't just make fairy tale pictures every year or two.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
BK
Gold Classic Collection

Post by BK »

I am not sure why so many are being disdainful towards Zootopia and its animals.

The animal kingdom is more diverse than humankind and has so much more potential for play and set design and etc if done right.

I am going on faith that there is something incredible in store instead of wanting a reprise of Frozen or whatever you guys want.

And to echo, Big Hero 6? Shit movie. Doesn't come close to the trifecta of the new renaissance (Tangled, WIR, Frozen) and doesn't even compete with other studios products. In fact, PATF might even be better. So instead of the lauding of anything Disney, or human, or superhero, let's not write a project off because of what you think it might be. I know the same can be said opposite, but BH6 was a prime example of generic, useless, conformity and utterly disposable, boring storytelling that would be loved by the creatively stunted.
Prince Kido
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Prince Kido »

First official news for next Disney movie "Zootopia" to come in one year in US on the official Disney Animation 's Facebook page with a new concept-art and an updated and exciting new plot :
"In one year...Zootopia. March 4, 2016.
The modern mammal metropolis of Zootopia is a city like no other. Comprised of habitat neighborhoods like ritzy Sahara Square and frigid Tundratown, it’s a melting pot where animals from every environment live together—a place where no matter what you are, from the biggest elephant to the smallest shrew, you can be anything. But when optimistic Officer Judy Hopps arrives, she discovers that being the first bunny on a police force of big, tough animals isn’t so easy. Determined to prove herself, she jumps at the opportunity to crack a case, even if it means partnering with a fast-talking, scam-artist fox, Nick Wilde, to solve the mystery. Walt Disney Animation Studios’ “Zootopia,” a comedy-adventure directed by Byron Howard (“Tangled,” “Bolt”) and Rich Moore (“Wreck-It Ralph,” “The Simpsons”) and co-directed by Jared Bush (“Penn Zero: Part-Time Hero”), opens in theaters on March 4, 2016. "
11034209_10153051090251855_6400882693100020959_n.jpg
11034209_10153051090251855_6400882693100020959_n.jpg (43.87 KiB) Viewed 7075 times
jazzflower92
Anniversary Edition

Post by jazzflower92 »

Prince Kido wrote:First official news for next Disney movie "Zootopia" to come in one year in US on the official Disney Animation 's Facebook page with a new concept-art and an updated and exciting new plot :
"In one year...Zootopia. March 4, 2016.
The modern mammal metropolis of Zootopia is a city like no other. Comprised of habitat neighborhoods like ritzy Sahara Square and frigid Tundratown, it’s a melting pot where animals from every environment live together—a place where no matter what you are, from the biggest elephant to the smallest shrew, you can be anything. But when optimistic Officer Judy Hopps arrives, she discovers that being the first bunny on a police force of big, tough animals isn’t so easy. Determined to prove herself, she jumps at the opportunity to crack a case, even if it means partnering with a fast-talking, scam-artist fox, Nick Wilde, to solve the mystery. Walt Disney Animation Studios’ “Zootopia,” a comedy-adventure directed by Byron Howard (“Tangled,” “Bolt”) and Rich Moore (“Wreck-It Ralph,” “The Simpsons”) and co-directed by Jared Bush (“Penn Zero: Part-Time Hero”), opens in theaters on March 4, 2016. "
11034209_10153051090251855_6400882693100020959_n.jpg
Shut up and take my money again Disney. :D
Victurtle
Special Edition

Post by Victurtle »

Rich Moore is directing? YES. My exciting for this film (which was already high) just skyrocketed. I'm so glad WIR wasn't a one-off venture for Rich.

Thank you so much Prince Kiddo for your insight into the behind the scenes scenario. Your posts are always so lovely.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Great news to wake up to! Sold on Rich Moore (who came out of nowhere)! But this sounds adorable! The concept art is incredible! Can't wait to see the cast.

Prince Kido, we are sorry if we hurt your feelings :( We don't mean to pick favorites is any way
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Sotiris wrote:I have a hard time getting excited about Zootopia. Movies starring animals don't really interest me. I much prefer human-centered ones. I wish Byron Howard was directing Giants and Nathan Greno was doing Zootopia instead. I just think Byron is more talented and has a better understanding of storytelling as well as musical structure, and now with Frozen's success he wouldn't have to hold back on that aspect like they did with Tangled. Giants would have been a great opportunity to get his hands on a more challenging project of a larger scale. Zootopia seems like a much smaller, confined film in comparison. Of course, that's purely speculation on my part.
I'll be honest, I haven't explored commentaries/behind-the-scenes info enough to differentiate between Greno and Howard, since all I know them by is Tangled. I don't think either one of them should be anywhere near a musical, imo. What's the reason you see Howard as better than Greno? (Asking because I know I won't explore their backgrounds myself.)

Something about these "inbetween" films (WIR, BH6, and now Zootopia) seems so dull and uninteresting to me. I forced myself to go see WIR at the time and ended up actually liking it (even though I still haven't bought it on DVD/Blu-Ray), but what I hear and see for these films is always so tired.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

BK wrote:BH6 was a prime example of generic, useless, conformity and utterly disposable, boring storytelling
:up:
jazzflower92
Anniversary Edition

Post by jazzflower92 »

Mooky wrote:
BK wrote:BH6 was a prime example of generic, useless, conformity and utterly disposable, boring storytelling
:up:
:down:
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I'll be honest, I haven't explored commentaries/behind-the-scenes info enough to differentiate between Greno and Howard, since all I know them by is Tangled. I don't think either one of them should be anywhere near a musical, imo. What's the reason you see Howard as better than Greno? (Asking because I know I won't explore their backgrounds myself.)
Well, from the various interviews they gave for Tangled and Bolt I get the sense the Byron has a deeper, more 'classical' understanding of story structure and character development than Greno. Greno seems to have a more contemporary, Hollywood-ish approach to story. Also, I know that Byron loves Broadway musicals and that his favorite Disney film is The Little Mermaid. It's little stuff like that. Nothing really concrete.