Upcoming Films by Studio Ghibli

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Upcoming Films by Studio Ghibli

Post by Sotiris »

Isao Takahata, the co-founder of Studio Ghibli and the director of such works as Grave of the Fireflies and Only Yesterday, confirmed on Friday that he has a new project in the works. However, he cautioned that the new project is still not close to completing, and that it may be about two more years before it is.

It has been 12 years since Takahata's last feature film, 1999's My Neighbors the Yamadas. Ghibli producer Toshio Suzuki had hinted in 2009 that Takahata was working on a project based on the classic Japanese folktale Taketori Monogatari (The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter) in the style of the classical Japanese scroll Chōjū-jinbutsu-giga. Takahata himself mentioned Taketori Monogatari at the 62nd Locarno International Film Festival in August of that year. The 10th century tale, known by virtually every Japanese child, revolves around a princess named Kaguya who was discovered as a baby inside the stalk of a glowing bamboo plant.

Suzuki also said at the same Museum of Contemporary Art last month that the new work of the studio's other famous co-founder, Hayao Miyazaki, is an "autobiography." However, Suzuki's vague phrasing in Japanese did not indicate if the work is Miyazaki's own autobiography, or an adaptation of another person's autobiography. It’s worth noting that last year Miyazaki said he’s considering a sequel to his 1992 film, Porco Rosso.
Source: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com.au/news ... s-new-work
Last edited by Sotiris on Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

Bamboo Cutter sounds like a Japanese version of Thumbelina (though, of course, Thumbelina came way after Taketori Monogatari). But still, I'm excited for anything Ghibli. Takahata's My Neighbor the Yamadas didn't appeal to me that much, but Grave of the Fireflies is a masterpiece (and quite heart-wrenching).
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
MJW
Special Edition

Post by MJW »

I wonder how likely it is that this "autobiography" by Miyazaki will actually be the rumored Porco Rosso sequel? I'd read elsewhere that Miyazaki hoped to reflect his own aging by focusing a sequel on Porco Rosso's adventures later in life.

I also wonder that if a sequel is made, will Disney put forth the effort to ensure that the original American dub cast returns? I think Michael Keaton did a great job as Porco Rosso, and I hope he'd want to reprise his role! :D
"If it's not Baroque, don't fix it!" - Cogsworth | My Blu-ray collection | My Studio Ghibli blog
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

In an interview that the Japanese website Hollywood Channel posted on Sunday, Studio Ghibli producer Toshio Suzuki revealed that studio co-founder Hayao Miyazaki's next work is "not the sort of work that everyone in the audience can relax and watch."

Suzuki explained Miyazaki's intent for his new work, "It's not because of the [March 11 earthquake and tsunami] disaster, since he already predicted the current state of Japan during the planning stages [of his next work]. So, there was a desire to create something realistic." Suzuki was not able to say much more about the new work from the Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away director before its official unveiling.

Suzuki spoke with Hollywood Channel mainly about the DVD release of TOHO's classic Jirochō Sangokushi film series about historical yakuza. Suzuki had already said in August that Miyazaki's new work is an "autobiography." However, Suzuki's vague phrasing in Japanese did not indicate if the work is Miyazaki's own autobiography, or an adaptation of another person's autobiography.

Last week, Ghibli had listed staff positions for the next animation feature film from Ghibli's other co-founding director, Isao Takahata (Grave of the Fireflies, Only Yesterday). According to the job listing, the film is "slated to be completed in Summer of 2013." Suzuki had hinted in 2009 that Takahata was working on a project based on the classic Japanese folktale Taketori Monogatari (The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter) in the style of the classical Japanese scroll Chōjū-jinbutsu-giga.
Source: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com.au/news ... -and-watch
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Anime director Osamu Kobayashi (Beck, Paradise Kiss) reported on his Twitter account on Tuesday that he heard that Hayao Miyazaki's latest work will tell the story of the designer of the Zero Fighter, the Mitsubishi A6M Zero fighter aircraft used by the Imperial Japanese Navy during World War II.

The wife of the late animator Yoshinori Kanada (Final Yamato, Gaiking) replied to this, saying that her husband loved planes, and that it was sad that he could not participate in the title's production. This prompted animator Takashi Hashimoto (Ayakashi - Samurai Horror Tales, Kūchū Buranko) to note that Studio Ghibli conducted a large-scale search for animators who could draw airplanes, and that he himself saw storyboards for the title.
Source: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... r-designer