Tangled Discussion - Part V

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
totallyminnie86
Gold Classic Collection

Post by totallyminnie86 »

Going to see this with some friends over the weekend.. I kind of wanted to see it alone before with a group, so I could get a better experience of the film itself without distraction :lol: My question to those who have seen it:

To 3-D or not to 3-D? It looks like my theater has a regular version and 3-D as well.... any comments as to which is best? I want to focus on the film as much as possible, does the 3-D enhance your experience, or does it distract? I enjoyed Toy Story 3D, but this is the kind of film I want to be more involved with.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

If the movie makes me cry, then I'll have known *nothing* about hollywood as I very rarely cry during any kind of scene.
LucilleBallFilms
Gold Classic Collection

Post by LucilleBallFilms »

totallyminnie86 wrote:To 3-D or not to 3-D? It looks like my theater has a regular version and 3-D as well.... any comments as to which is best? I want to focus on the film as much as possible, does the 3-D enhance your experience, or does it distract? I enjoyed Toy Story 3D, but this is the kind of film I want to be more involved with.
For me, 3D (Mine had 2D and 3D showings too) and the over hyped 'best' 3D scene, I See The Lights, actually fell flat 3D wise to me for some reason, the rest of the movie is amazing and it adds so much depth to the already beautiful world :P Every part of it, even the credit's was amazing 8) but that's just me who see's every 3D movie in 3D anyway :lol: but then again, this is the first time we've had the option of 2D or 3D here in a while, usually just 3D
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/v81TG8HnQ4I?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/v81TG8HnQ4I?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8ed7CvpA9K4?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8ed7CvpA9K4?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Jane and Rapunzel, thank you- that makes sense, I think! :)

Prince Kido, that drawing is amazing! Congratulations on having a t-shirt of it- that's HUGE!

Minnie, it wasn't the distracting kind of 3D...it did add some depth to it. But I think you'd still have an amazing experience and it'd still be just as beautiful in 2D...so, really, it's up to you...it mostly did add depth, so it wasn't distracting 98% of the time, so it's a toss-up...sorry this doesn't help your decision. :p
Tangled
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Tangled »

ajmrowland wrote:If the movie makes me cry, then I'll have known *nothing* about hollywood as I very rarely cry during any kind of scene.

Ok- where do I start? I'm the kind of person who cries during a LOT of movies, last one I did (besides Tangled) was during Toy Story 3 (I admit it! I just love all the characters to pieces, and seeing them in peril made me tear up.) Tangled I cried too, probably harder.

One thought about the narration-SPOILERWas that when FLYNN said he died, he actually ment Flynn and his theif-hood. Rapunzel doesn't fall in love with Flynn-but that other guy on the inside named Eugine. And at the end, Eugine mentions he doesn't go by Flynn anymore, so TECHNICALLY Flynn did die. I dunno. ANOTHER thought I had.
RyGuy
Special Edition

Post by RyGuy »

Minnie, I have seen the movie twice now - once in 2D and once in 3D. I did not see that 3D added anything, but it didn't distract either.

Other than "I See the Light", and one point with a tree branch,I didn't really notice that it was in 3D.
LucilleBallFilms
Gold Classic Collection

RyGuy wrote:Other than "I See the Light", and one point with a tree branch,I didn't really notice that it was in 3D.
Why was I See The Light's 3D so magical to everyone but me :( (i'm guessing I had huge expectations of's it's 3D/or I was so into the scene I couldn't notice it if I tried :lol:)
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

After so many years of development and hearing about it online it feels weird to have finally seen Rapunzel (now Tangled) in theatres.

The movie itself, though, was wonderful and easily the best DAC since Lilo and Stitch and as much as I actually like TP I have more problems with it than Tangled. I can't really think of anything to complain about, it was just really good from all perspectives with humor that was genuinely funny, no unnecessary pop-culture references, wonderful visuals that made me glad this movie was CGI and not 2D and songs that did not annoy me (if not on the same level as Menken's previous work).

I hope this movie recovers its high budget (if it's really $260 million before marketing) because it deserves it. It also looks like it will do very well for its opening weekend. Much better than PatF.
totallyminnie86
Gold Classic Collection

Post by totallyminnie86 »

Thanks for the replies, guys. Sounds like either version will be great. Now I can stop debating and over-analyzing and just enjoy the film whichever one we end up at :lol:
Disneykid
Diamond Edition

Post by Disneykid »

I caught a matinee of this today and absolutely adored it.

I was worried at first when I heard Glen Keane stepped down as director and was replaced with Nathan Greno and Byron Howard. I liked Bolt well enough, but I couldn't see them pulling off a classic Disney fairy tale, especially when someone as experienced as Keane was having trouble with it. My fears increased when the film was renamed Tangled and the teaser trailer (which I actually did find cute) was released. I felt like they were flushing Keane's sincere fairy tale adaptation down the drain and going for something more tongue-in-cheek.

Talk about bad marketing. While the trailers and TV spots made this look like a flat-out comedy, I was happy to see that it's really an even-handed blend of comedy, drama, romance, and action - the type of blend Disney knows best. Some random thoughts and highlights for me:

* The staging of the "When Will My Life Begin" reprise was gorgeous, especially the 360 degree crane shot at the end. I kept waiting for something ironic or funny to puncture the exhilarated feeling that kept swelling throughout the song, and I was extremely grateful that they let it be. In fact, I thought the staging of all the musical numbers was really creative. Characters don't just stand and sing while the camera "films" them. They're always doing something, and the camera and editing are constantly moving and changing.

* The most hilarious scene for me comes right after the above song. Rapunzel's inner conflict switching sides over and over again as Flynn just stands there unresponsive was hysterical.

* The most touching scene for me actually wasn't Flynn's death, though that was also beautifully handled. For me it was the scene where the King and Queen are about to release the honorary birthday lantern. Seeing someone as big and strong-looking as the King crying really hit me and make the reunion with Rapunzel that much more satisfying. Compare that to Sleeping Beauty where we really don't get an understanding of how Stephan and the Queen feel without Aurora so the reunion scene in that film, while lovely, doesn't strike as much of a chord.

* The scene with the dam was incredibly intense. I thought it was more thrilling than most action scenes I've seen this year. I guess the directors' experience on Bolt really helped with this one. That one shot with Rapunzel and Flynn running from the collapsing structure and water was simply epic.

* Pascal and Maximus are among the best sidekicks in the Disney canon, no question.

* "Mother Knows Best" is my favorite villain song after "Poor Unfortunate Souls."

* Flynn's reaction to being healed = priceless.

* "I See the Light" gave me goosebumps and worked beautifully in 3-D.

* I know I'm over-thinking this, but why did Gothel age immediately after Rapunzel's hair was cut? I realize we needed a way to get rid of her fast, but if she de-ages that quickly, shouldn't Flynn's hand get cut again and the Queen get ill? On a similar note, how did Gothel know what song to sing to trigger the flower (and later Rapunzel's hair's) power? None of this detracted from my enjoyment of the film, mind you, but it did get me wondering.

This might be my favorite Disney animated film in the past 10 years, though it's hard for me to say since I love The Emperor's New Groove and Lilo & Stitch. As of right now, this is what the decade's looking like for me:

Tangled
Lilo & Stitch
The Emperor's New Groove
Meet the Robinsons
The Princess and the Frog
Fantasia 2000
Bolt
Brother Bear
Treasure Planet
Atlantis: The Lost Empire
Chicken Little
Home on the Range
Dinosaur (if I must throw this in here now that it's considered canon)

It'll be interesting to see where Winnie the Pooh will fall for me since the original's my second favorite Disney film after Alice in Wonderland. No matter what, though, this shows that Disney's back in full blast. What a year for the studio. Alice in Wonderland, Toy Story 3, Tangled, and Tron Legacy. They desperately needed a year like this after heavily depending on Pixar and Pirates to pay their bills for so many years.

I'm a bit worried that Disney will misinterpret the success of Tangled and think it did well because of the name change, hip advertising, and CGI medium, when it fact it's because this is a well-told story with memorable characters and songs. Hopefully this convinces them to resurrect The Snow Queen.
Rudy Matt
Special Edition

Post by Rudy Matt »

Early estimates are saying Tangled is opening to roughly $65-$70 million. That's what PIXAR films make on opening weekend. This is an unexpected box office hit for Disney, could be the first non-Pixar Disney animated feature to go over $200 million since The Lion King.
LucilleBallFilms
Gold Classic Collection

Disneykid wrote:* I know I'm over-thinking this, but why did Gothel age immediately after Rapunzel's hair was cut? I realize we needed a way to get rid of her fast, but if she de-ages that quickly, shouldn't Flynn's hand get cut again and the Queen get ill? On a similar note, how did Gothel know what song to sing to trigger the flower (and later Rapunzel's hair's) power? None of this detracted from my enjoyment of the film, mind you, but it did get me wondering.

Just my two cents, I went through this with my mom who had the same questions, She (Gothel) picked up the hair in her hands as it was losing its power and it seemed to go through her hand, reversing her too in the way it healed, therefore her aging, etc, hard to explain. The queen shouldn't get i'll, atleast not to me, after all she drank from the flower's power, and wasn't healed by the hair, Rapunzel still had/has the power in her anyway. And if what I said above about Gothel is true, that goes for Flynn's hand, he wasn't touching it. And the kingdom knew apparently about the flower and it's incantation by some way according to Flynn's prologue, so I'm guessing Gothel knew the same way. :P it's never explained clearly
Last edited by LucilleBallFilms on Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
wowie123

Post by wowie123 »

from entertainment weekly
Not far behind on Thanksgiving, and performing stronger than expected, was Disney’s animated musical Tangled, which earned $8.1 million. The PG-rated retelling of Rapunzel should continue to thrive during the weekend thanks to excellent word-of-mouth — CinemaScore audiences rated it a rare “A+”.
:shock: GO TANGLED! :D
RyGuy
Special Edition

Post by RyGuy »

LucilleBallFilms, for me, I wouldn't say that "I See the Light" was any more magical in 3D than it was in 2D . . . it was just one point in the movie where I actually noticed the 3D effects, whereas the rest of the picture, I sort of forgot that I was watching in 3D (other than that weird tree branch part).

As for whether the scene was magical (in 2D or 3D), I think it is one of those "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" things. I personally loved the scene, but can understand if it just didn't do anything for you.

I had that experience with "That's How You Know" in Enchanted. I wanted to love that scene, but it just didn't do it for me. I can't explain why and I don't find any fault with the scene or think that I would have liked that scene to be different. For some unknow reason, it was just a let down for me.
magicalwands
Collector's Edition

Post by magicalwands »

My cousin and I joked that when Gothel got to the flower, smoke rose from the it and formed the lyrics. One time deal. So, only Gothel knew the lyrics.

I loved this movie! For the next weeks, I will be pretending to hold hair in my hands, singing the Healing Incantation. :lol:
Lorddh
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Lorddh »

Just came back from watching Tangled! :)
And I LOVED IT!

I also saved $30 dollars, cause I had 4 $7.50 tickets from Walmart ;)
SmartAleck25
Special Edition

Post by SmartAleck25 »

Listening to the soundtrack, I feel like it's got some really good songs! Just not enough...

Hearing about its success is great, especially when TPatF didn't do that great last year. Too bad I'll have to wait for the Blu-ray... :(

Sounds like Maximus and Gothel are fantastic characters, huh?
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

Saw the film tonight. I'm not going to go into a tl;dr review post, but i'll leave in few inputs.

This Film was really good. I also think it was good thing I stayed out of the Tangled threads previously so I can enjoy the film much better. Anyway, I like a lot of the characters.

Rapunzel- One thing I like about her over some of the other females is that she's socially awkward. You can tell this but her movements, responds and ticks that she gets. I make her a lot more real, personality wise, and also create her that way but the environment she grew up living in. Her singing voice was ok, but which it kick it in bit more like Ariel or Belle did. Her speaking voice nailed the personality she has. Great character.

Flynn- I was hoping he's fight with a sword at one point. Oh well. Anyway, I like his design and I like his personality. It was bit different from other male characters of the past. Something refreshing imo. I'm also glad he didn't over shadow Rapunzel like the trailer make you believe it to be.

Mother Gothel- To be honest, I wasn't all that impress with her. She didn't leave me an impact like some previous Disney villains have. I know she's more about psychologically over powering the heroes but just didn't do it the same way like Lady Tremain or Frollo did. Her music number wasn't as exciting as I hoped it to be. Didn't really got into it.

Maximus and Pascal- those two were neat. These two were two animal sidekicks that didn't act overly obnoxious or tiring. they played their roles well.

the bar scene- I actually like it and the song, although I'd hope the song would of been a bit more lively in the voice tone. Like extravagant type.

All in all, the movie was well rounded and well made. Good job. Should of kept original title too.
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
eralkfang
Limited Issue

Post by eralkfang »

Just got back from seeing it–waiting through Thanksgiving was excruciating! I saw it in 3D, and I thought it was lovely (better, actually, than Toy Story 3's 3D, in my opinion); it really added to an already beautiful film. While I wouldn't go out of my way (3D is expensive!), it's quite nice.

I'm pretty much just going to echo all the praise if I try and get down all my thoughts, but I'll just highlight a few things.

The King and Queen. Without a single word, they made me cry. They were so wonderful and human, and so wonderful together–I love that Rapunzel gets some of her spirit from her mother (her lone interaction with Flynn got a huge laugh; the royal women don't suggest, Flynn, they command). It's fantastic work.

The animation was absolutely superb; truly a blending of 2D philosophy with CGI technology–I was thoroughly impressed. I actually stopped by a bookstore and read The Art of Tangled earlier this afternoon, and there's a wonderful story about Glen Keane showing off some of the more intricate character design they could pull off with CGI to one of the Nine Old Men (such as Rapunzel's freckles); he simply asked, "What is she thinking?".

I came in knowing I'd love Rapunzel and Flynn's dynamic, but I was blown away by Rapunzel's rapport with Gothel–comparisons to The Hunchback of Notre Dame are quite apt, but there's that element of conditioning to Rapunzel. I loved the quick cuts of Rapunzel being torn up about her desire to go out and her desire to please her mother–it's a very human thing, although played for laughs very well. That last shot of Rapunzel reaching out to Gothel–wonderful. (Although I did find it curious that Gothel is referred to as Mother Gothel–I suppose it makes sense for Flynn, but I wonder how she earned it otherwise?)

I also quite liked how the musical numbers were staged; I See the Light was nice, but fairly standard and The Little Mermaid-esque, right down to the kiss cut short by main villain's sidekicks. But Mother Knows Best was amazing–I want to point out the shot of Rapunzel lighting three candles in the darkness Gothel has created, only for Gothel to come along and snuff them out. When Will My Life Begin? (Reprise) was also good, and I've Got a Dream is just fun. I really liked Old Cupid, for the record. ;)

And I could go on and on. I love Rapunzel; her agency cheers me to no end, and I was over the moon that the film makes it explicit that she eventually rules as Queen (all the easier to pardon her ne'er-do-well boyfriend, I suppose). Flynn is fantastic, Maximus reminds me wonderfully of Altivo from The Road to El Dorado… yeah. :)