Menken: "ALADDIN, HUNCHBACK coming to B'WAY"

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Trumpet Joe wrote:
UmbrellaFish wrote: TLM had swearing and (from what I understand) MP has semi-nude actors playing statues.
Where did TLM musical have swearing in it?
Ursula's song "I Want the Good Times Back" had a lyric where she said "damn". There might have been more instances, too, but I don't recollect any.

Also, depending upon your religious beliefs, God's name was used in vain several times as well.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

but damn is nothing really. same with hell.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

ajmrowland wrote:but damn is nothing really. same with hell.
And yet if it "damn" turned up in a DAC, there'd be a huge outcry, and I don't mean in relation to eternal damnation, as used in THOND.

It may be a tame swear word, but there's a lot of parents out there that wouldn't want their children to hear any remotely coarse language.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

UmbrellaFish wrote: And yet if it "damn" turned up in a DAC, there'd be a huge outcry, and I don't mean in relation to eternal damnation, as used in THOND.

It may be a tame swear word, but there's a lot of parents out there that wouldn't want their children to hear any remotely coarse language.
Well, in the past decade, we've seen plenty of animated films aimed at families using mild language. Shrek says the word "ass" in the first film and Flint says "crap" quite clearly in Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs to use a couple of examples. Not to mention the "Yeah, they're real" joke regarding Maggie's udders in Home on the Range. I don't recall many cries of outrage from those.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
eralkfang
Limited Issue

Post by eralkfang »

Ariel also says "Oh my God!" during "Somewhere Beyond My Wildest Dreams", which brings up all sorts of questions about mermish theology. ;)

But they're all fleeting expletives, in any case–Ursula's line is "the whole damn works" instead of a simple, concise "DAMN!".

However, I still would be a little shocked to see anything above, say, "crap", in a Disney film–Dreamworks can sometimes play up their status as the "Disney alternative" in some of their films, particularly the Shrek franchise.

Still, yeah, I think The Hunchback of Notre Dame on Broadway is still going to be fairly dark and mature–the film deals with lust, murder, and bigotry quite frankly. There's a way to go about it without alienating the little ones, though.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

So excited for Aladdin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! When I went to Disneyland, the show was closed for refurbishment (or whyever a show would close :p), so I haven't seen it... So, Hunchback will be on Broadway...but from what Menken said, it sounds like Aladdin will be a traveling show...?

And Newsies I don't think is happening:

http://www.laughingplace.com/Latest-ID-75689.asp

Which I'm pretty bummed about. :(
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

I am excited for Aladdin, and at the same time, not so excited .......

I dont want it to be different from the movie. Obviously, there will be some things that will have to change / adapt for the stage, but I didnt like how Alan said its kind of been rethemed to a Bob Hope road movie.

Why not just leave it as it is ? New songs is one thing, but fiddling with the charaters is another.

The Little Mermaid I thought was wonderful on stage, and the expanded score did wonders for me. I can't wait until it comes to the west end !
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

atlanticaunderthesea wrote:The Little Mermaid I thought was wonderful on stage, and the expanded score did wonders for me. I can't wait until it comes to the west end !
Is it coming to the West End? Like, really? :shock:
FigmentJedi
Gold Classic Collection

Post by FigmentJedi »

Crossing my fingers that Hunchback doesn't get messed with too much.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

FigmentJedi wrote:Crossing my fingers that Hunchback doesn't get messed with too much.
Well, they made the Gargoyles not as goofy in the German stage production AND had Esmeralda killed off. Not to mention they had Quasi intentionally throw Frollo off of the bell tower. What could the Broadway version do?
pinkrenata
Anniversary Edition

Post by pinkrenata »

FigmentJedi wrote:Crossing my fingers that Hunchback doesn't get messed with too much.
Actually, I was thinking the only way it would work would be if they did mess with it. I mean, I love the movie (partly for its flaws), and Disneyland and MGM Studios had good stage shows of it back in the day, but plenty of things need to change if it's going to last on Broadway. I'm up for a darker, less Disney-ish version myself.
WIST #1 (The pinkrenata Edition) -- Kram Nebuer: *mouth full of Oreos* Why do you have a picture of Bobby Driscoll?

"I'm a nudist!" - Tommy Kirk
kenai3000
Gold Classic Collection

Post by kenai3000 »

If anything it'll be an American version of the German show.
Disney is awesome, and was the biggest part of my childhood.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

kenai3000 wrote:
If anything it'll be an American version of the German show.
Except they might let Esmeralda live in the end.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

estefan wrote:
UmbrellaFish wrote: And yet if it "damn" turned up in a DAC, there'd be a huge outcry, and I don't mean in relation to eternal damnation, as used in THOND.

Well, in the past decade, we've seen plenty of animated films aimed at families using mild language. Shrek says the word "ass" in the first film and Flint says "crap" quite clearly in Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs to use a couple of examples. Not to mention the "Yeah, they're real" joke regarding Maggie's udders in Home on the Range. I don't recall many cries of outrage from those.
Interesting that you cite Shrek cuz after it became popular, the amount of times Donkey says "Ass" was pulled back.

I guess even the "Disney Alternative" has it's days.
PheR
Special Edition

Post by PheR »

On bluray those two should be coming!
I'ts enough for this restless warrior just to be with you...
Prince Edward
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Edward »

Broadway Babies
Disney Theatrical Productions sets the stage for a new slate of shows.
http://d23.disney.go.com/articles/05051 ... rical.html
Favorite Disney-movies: Snow White, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan, Tarzan, Tangled, Frozen, Pirates, Enchanted, Prince of Persia, Tron, Oz The Great and Powerful
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Prince Edward wrote:Broadway Babies
Disney Theatrical Productions sets the stage for a new slate of shows.
http://d23.disney.go.com/articles/05051 ... rical.html
I heard they were auditioning dancers for Newsies, but I figured I was too late.

Hopefully, I get another shot at something like that.