Fantasia: 2-Movie Collection - 11/30/10 (Part 2)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
miniroll32
Gold Classic Collection

Post by miniroll32 »

jpanimation wrote:
Victurtle wrote:The gleam/brightness in the dinosaurs eyes are lost, making it less powerful an image. And the blue things in the bottom screen appear more bland in HD.
(remember, Walt didn't want to use overly bright colors)
You asked him so? Thats incredible!
MJW
Special Edition

Post by MJW »

miniroll32 wrote:You asked him so? Thats incredible!
I believe that fact is something that is well documented; I've heard it mentioned various times on the board and elsewhere, and the palette of his earliest features seem to back it up.
"If it's not Baroque, don't fix it!" - Cogsworth | My Blu-ray collection | My Studio Ghibli blog
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

MJW wrote:
I believe that fact is something that is well documented; I've heard it mentioned various times on the board and elsewhere, and the palette of his earliest features seem to back it up.
I think they mention something along the lines of this on one of the "Snow White" documentaries also. I think it was like a conscious effort to not make the movie look too garish for an audience unaccustomed to watching an animated feature. Or maybe I pulled that factoid out of my ass, I can't recall.
Escapay wrote:
TheSequelOfDisney wrote:It would be kind of cool to make my own awesome 7-disc set combining the two sets, but I doubt there is a Blu-ray/DVD case that holds 7 discs that isn't a digipack (which I'm not that fond of).
The first two seasons of "Star Trek" are in 7-disc Blu-Ray cases, so they do exist. ;)

And why stop at 7 discs? Throw in the soundtrack CDs for the films (2 for Fantasia, 1 for Fantasia 2000) and make it a grand 10-disc megaset! :lol:
Why stop THERE? There's two soundtracks for "Fantasia" including the 1980s digital one. TWELVE DISCS SAYS I.
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
MJW
Special Edition

Post by MJW »

SpringHeelJack wrote:I think they mention something along the lines of this on one of the "Snow White" documentaries also. I think it was like a conscious effort to not make the movie look too garish for an audience unaccustomed to watching an animated feature. Or maybe I pulled that factoid out of my ass, I can't recall.
Yeah, I'd heard that they made the effort also because they were not sure how the human eye would react to watching animation for a prolonged period of time. I imagine they might have considered possible eye fatigue if the colors were really bright and saturated.
"If it's not Baroque, don't fix it!" - Cogsworth | My Blu-ray collection | My Studio Ghibli blog
Mason_Ireton
Banned

Post by Mason_Ireton »

I purchased the dvd for $24 at Fred Meyer's, way bet'ter than what I found at FYE and Barnes/Noble ($27).

the picture is so clean, looks bet'ter than ever can't wait for the blu ray.

what's the name of the lead ostrich in Dance of the Hours segment???
Lorddh
Gold Classic Collection

No Fantasia blu at Walmart

Post by Lorddh »

So I went to Walmart today, and they had not one copy of Fantasia/Fantasia2000 Blu. I guess they got sold out... That's good.

Though I bought mine on day 1 at Toys R us... Was curious ;D
Alphapanchito
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Alphapanchito »

I don't really understand what people are saying about the change in narration. They totally switched the voice? Deems Taylor doesn't talk at all anymore? I find that hard to beleive, but anything can happen with Disney. Also, even though I love Fantasia.. I think I am going to wait for a single Fantasia release.. hopefully with more documentaries about Fantasia, as I really dont care much for Destino. I didn't really like the art or story in Destino, although I may enjoy it more if I did see that crazily long documentary on it. which I am sure I would love. Does anybody think we should expect a "better" Fantasia release soon, even though it is just speculation. I mean, the really short release time is hopefully (well, not for those who bought it..) a clue.
Last edited by Alphapanchito on Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The_Iceflash
Anniversary Edition

Post by The_Iceflash »

Alphapanchito wrote:I don't really understand what people are saying about the change in narration. They totally switched the voice? Deems Taylor doesn't talk at all anymore? I find that hard to beleive, but anything can happen with Disney. Also, even though I love Fantasia.. I think I am going to wait for a single Fantasia release.. hopefully with more documentaries about Fantasia, as I really dont care much for Destino. I didn't really like the art or story in Destino, although I may enjoy it more if I did see that crazily long documentary on it. which I am sure I would love. Does anybody think we should expect a "better" Fantasia release soon, even though it is just speculation. I mean, the really short release time is hopefully (well, not for thoes who bought it..) a clue.
Right, Disney would want us to double dip just a few months after purchasing this. There would be a lot of mad Disney fans.
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

I watched Fantasia for the first time in its entirety today. I thought the picture looked really good and most of the segments were enjoyable (even though a few did drag in a few places).
jpanimation
Anniversary Edition

Post by jpanimation »

Actually, I did the equally incredible act of watching the supplements that come on these DVDs/Blu-Rays. Don't you?
Mason_Ireton wrote:what's the name of the lead ostrich in Dance of the Hours segment???
Madame Upanova
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

So, I'm debating if I should get this.

DOES ANYONE THINK I should hold off if a better version of either movie is going to come out soon because this current version is dissapearing soon?
jpanimation
Anniversary Edition

Post by jpanimation »

I was just cruising the forums and found the 'favorite poster' thread and that reminded me, this release (like Beauty and the Beast) has no publicity galleries. They also dropped the galleries for 'The Flight of the Bumble Bee', 'Mosquito,' and 'Baby Ballet'. I really hate that they're making their galleries so skimpy on all their Blu-Ray releases. If anything, they should get larger, not smaller (although, as of now, Alice in Wonderland seems to be the exception).

It's also missing the texts that give background on the musical pieces themselves. So if you have the Fantasia Anthology set, hold onto it, as this VirtualVault hasn't carried over everything (on top of it just being a pain in the ass to being with).
Disney Duster wrote:So, I'm debating if I should get this.

DOES ANYONE THINK I should hold off if a better version of either movie is going to come out soon because this current version is dissapearing soon?
I'm holding off but that's me. There will always be a better release but the question remains...when? It's pure speculation as to it getting a new release soon, as for all we know it could be another decade, so I guess you have to ask yourself: how bad do I want this? If you're going to purchase it, you might want to pick it up now while the $10 coupon is still active.
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marce82 »

Hey all,

I have 2 questions:

1) Why hasn't Ultimate Disney Posted a review for this blu ray/dvd?

2) I know a lot of the special features from the anthology are missing...but isnt the leap in quality worth getting this release?
ichabod
Diamond Edition

Post by ichabod »

jpanimation wrote:It's pure speculation as to it getting a new release soon...
Perhaps the current edition is being discontinued, so separate releases of Fantasia / Fantasia 2000 can appear.

That appears to be what is happening in the UK.

The DVDs/blus have only just appeared here in the UK, but rereleases are already up for preorder.

<a href="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fantasia-Platin ... antasia</a>

<a href="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fantasia-2000-P ... ">Fantasia 2000 </a>
Disneykid
Diamond Edition

Post by Disneykid »

Marce82 wrote:Why hasn't Ultimate Disney Posted a review for this blu ray/dvd?
We got the disc later than we usually do when it comes to Disney titles, and on top of that, I still had several titles in my queue I had prior commitments to before tackling Fantasia. Our review for the set should be up in a week because I intend on making this the most thorough review for the set online. I'll be writing about the different versions and edits of the films, every single feature that's in the Virtual Vault, and exactly what was left off (though jpanimation's beaten me to the punch :P). So while I'm sorry the review's so late, I promise it'll be worth it.
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

Pfff... first there were 'just' color issues and censorship issues, now there's different voices as well?! Disney sure knows how to keep its fans busy. :roll:
ajmrowland wrote:yes, Goliath. only one package.
:x What if somebody only wants one of the two movies? Not saying I only want one, but... It doesn't give consumers any choice. Stupid Disney.
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

Goliath wrote:Pfff... first there were 'just' color issues and censorship issues, now there's different voices as well?! Disney sure knows how to keep its fans busy. :roll:
ajmrowland wrote:yes, Goliath. only one package.
:x What if somebody only wants one of the two movies? Not saying I only want one, but... It doesn't give consumers any choice. Stupid Disney.
It was still on sale for around $27 the first week. That with the coupon brings it down to only slightly more than I paid for, say, "Beauty and the Beast." I mean, I'm not wild that it's both movie in one pack, but it's not like you're really being gouged if you only want one of them.
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marce82 »

Hey DisneyKid,

Thanks for the answer. I didnt know it was you who wrote the reviews...looking forward to reading it!!

M.
filmmusic
Limited Issue

Post by filmmusic »

Just wanted to say, because i've seen many posts on the price of Fantasia, do you know how does it cost in Greece to get both movies in bluray?
(they are sold seperately, not in a package of 4 discs, but 2 packages of 2 discs each)
it's 64 euros!!!!!!! ($85)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bless amazon that i tool the 4 disc bluray set for only 21 euros!! (less than 1/3 of the regular price in Greece!!!)
can't understand these high prices here! it's outrageous!
The_Iceflash
Anniversary Edition

Post by The_Iceflash »

MJW wrote:
I thought this only applied to Snow White. (Since it was his first feature and wasn't sure how audiences would react to that for an extended length of time.) I certainly don't think he intended this for every animated film up until his death.