Disney Blu Ray : Diamond Edition, current and future plan

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
stitchje1981
Gold Classic Collection

Post by stitchje1981 »

merbass wrote:I've been thinking about this one too!
And what' ll come after Gold?
Isn't gold the ULTIMATE color of everything?
OR what I also was thinking is maybe they are using the "marriage" years for their DVD, but then again platinum comes after diamond............
Still they have a lot to choose from: cardboard, paper, iron, ivory, pearl, oak, just to name a few :lol: :lol: :lol:
After Golden, they could go to Rainbow Edition. :lol:

I'm sure the marketing department could come up with something. Jubilee edition ?[/quote]

hehehehehehe Sleeping Beauty Rainbow Edition
Not a bad idea :lol:

You know, the Jubilee Edition doesn't sound that bad 8)
Lorddh
Gold Classic Collection

de

Post by Lorddh »

Since they took off Aladdin and then decided to add Fantasia/Fantasia 200, then decided to not release it as a Diamond...then why don't they add Aladdin again? Now we're one Diamond short...well two Since Fantasia and Fantasia 2000 are two separate films.

And Sleeping Beauty and Pinocchio are part of the Diamond Edition. By the time we get to them it will be for their re-release, which wont be until 2016. and that's when the Diamond line ends.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Has Disney actually given us a press release for what is going to become Diamond, as they did with the Platinums ? As there seems to be so much confusion as to what is / what was / what was supposed to be in the Diamond line, doesnt appear that they did ?
merbass
Gold Classic Collection

Post by merbass »

atlanticaunderthesea wrote:Has Disney actually given us a press release for what is going to become Diamond, as they did with the Platinums ? As there seems to be so much confusion as to what is / what was / what was supposed to be in the Diamond line, doesnt appear that they did ?
My friend is a regional Disney manager (not US of course). There was a meeting attended by high positions in Beijing last month. My friend could not tell me the exact titles on Diamond lines either. No one seems to know for sure and things change constantly.

Being a huge Disney fan and visit this website regularly, my friend reckons I know more about Disney release than her. The good thing is I get a lot of promotional products from my friend regularly !
merbass
Gold Classic Collection

Post by merbass »

stitchje1981 wrote:
merbass wrote:I've been thinking about this one too!
And what' ll come after Gold?
Isn't gold the ULTIMATE color of everything?
OR what I also was thinking is maybe they are using the "marriage" years for their DVD, but then again platinum comes after diamond............
Still they have a lot to choose from: cardboard, paper, iron, ivory, pearl, oak, just to name a few :lol: :lol: :lol:
After Golden, they could go to Rainbow Edition. :lol:

I'm sure the marketing department could come up with something. Jubilee edition ?
hehehehehehe Sleeping Beauty Rainbow Edition
Not a bad idea :lol:

You know, the Jubilee Edition doesn't sound that bad 8)[/quote]

Can you imagine the cover of the Rainbow edition will be like ? we can probably redeem condoms from Disney movie rewards.

Wouldn't it be cool if Snow White comes in Apple-shaped box ?
Haddad28
Limited Issue

Post by Haddad28 »

atlanticaunderthesea wrote:Has Disney actually given us a press release for what is going to become Diamond, as they did with the Platinums ? As there seems to be so much confusion as to what is / what was / what was supposed to be in the Diamond line, doesnt appear that they did ?
Actually Disney held a press release in Burbank CA on September the 10th 2009.

It's on the main site somewhere but a link for it is here.
- http://www.ultimatedisney.com/diamondco ... -0910.html
merbass
Gold Classic Collection

Post by merbass »

Haddad28 wrote:
Actually Disney held a press release in Burbank CA on September the 10th 2009.

It's on the main site somewhere but a link for it is here.
- http://www.ultimatedisney.com/diamondco ... -0910.html

Thank you for the link. We have seen this before. As of now things have changed. Fantasia / 2000 are gone. I just can't see why Lady and the tramps and Jungle book are there instead of Aladdin or Mulan.
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyAnimation88 »

When Peter Pan is eventually released, I would love it if they included the Back to Neverland film from the old animation tour in MGM-Studios starring Walter Cronkite and Robin Williams, as a bonus feature.
We're not going to Guam, are we?
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

If it's that Disney's "14 most treasured animated classics" were supposed to be realeased all the way to 2016. then it makes complete sense that the fantasia's didn't become Diamond editions yet. They could be tagged on in 2016 because if they started releasing 2 a year in 2011 they'd run out at the end of 2015 unless they added more.
merbass
Gold Classic Collection

Post by merbass »

That's what they need to do though. To add more titles and 2 releases / year. A couple of years from now Diamond Edition will be lame by then.
cartoonchick079

Post by cartoonchick079 »

DisneyAnimation88 wrote:When Peter Pan is eventually released, I would love it if they included the Back to Neverland film from the old animation tour in MGM-Studios starring Walter Cronkite and Robin Williams, as a bonus feature.

You mean the third one they were planning to make? Was it a cartoon?
cartoonchick079

Post by cartoonchick079 »

DisneyAnimation88 wrote:When Peter Pan is eventually released, I would love it if they included the Back to Neverland film from the old animation tour in MGM-Studios starring Walter Cronkite and Robin Williams, as a bonus feature.

Also on a Peter Pan Diamond Edition you need the original trailer, The Walt Disney Christmas Show promoting the film and some live action reference footage plus an all new making of documentary and it would be nice if Paul Collins had a chance to talk about voicing John Darling and also archival interviews from Bobby Driscoll and Hans Conried.
toonaspie
Anniversary Edition

Post by toonaspie »

I wish that the Diamond Edition lineup wasnt just a repeat of the Platinum Edition lineup. I believe it should be a lineup for films that would specifically look amazing in HD (which is why Aladdin should be included). Or better yet, do a Diamond Edition with the entire WDFA canon!
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

cartoonchick079 wrote:
No, it was a short that was shown at the Animation Tour at Disney MGM-Studios before Eisner closed the studio down. It essentially involved Robin Williams visiting the studios and becoming an animated character to learn how animation is created.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
MJW
Special Edition

Post by MJW »

toonaspie wrote:Or better yet, do a Diamond Edition with the entire WDFA canon!
That would be great, as I am sure we all have our favorites outside of what the company considers their "cream of the crop." Personally, one of the titles I am most looking forward to (hopefully) eventually see on Blu-ray is The Great Mouse Detective.
"If it's not Baroque, don't fix it!" - Cogsworth | My Blu-ray collection | My Studio Ghibli blog
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

I think that ultimately releasing them all under a unifying "Classic" banner would be my dream come true. They can release them all over a time frame of 10 years, give them all a common banner. They all of us film collectors could get all 50 classic's as a solid collection.
tlc38tlc38
Special Edition

Post by tlc38tlc38 »

singerguy04 wrote:I think that ultimately releasing them all under a unifying "Classic" banner would be my dream come true. They can release them all over a time frame of 10 years, give them all a common banner. They all of us film collectors could get all 50 classic's as a solid collection.
Let me get this straight...you want Disney to release 50 films over a 10 year period with some sort of consistency? ...You make me laugh!
Walmart: the perfect place to shop for a headache at a discount price.
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

tlc38tlc38 wrote:
singerguy04 wrote:I think that ultimately releasing them all under a unifying "Classic" banner would be my dream come true. They can release them all over a time frame of 10 years, give them all a common banner. They all of us film collectors could get all 50 classic's as a solid collection.
Let me get this straight...you want Disney to release 50 films over a 10 year period with some sort of consistency? ...You make me laugh!
I'd certainly love if Disney had some consistency with their releases. Especially since other studios do have some.

For example, Fox Studio Classics consistently released 41 films from 2003 to 2006, each with matching cover art, spine numbers, disc art, 4-page booklets, etc. And they all contained similar supplements in varying forms. All but one had commentary (I'm still annoyed that In Old Chicago is commentary-less), most had trailers/movietone newsreels/restoration comparisons/still galleries, 14 had "A&E Biography" episodes, 5 had "AMC Backstory" episodes, and there were a few odds and ends unique to particular titles (Millie Perkins' screen test on The Diary of Anne Frank, deleted scenes on Alexander's Ragtime Band, scenarios and screenplay for Sunrise, etc.). Later on, Fox Film Noir did the same thing with 26 films between 2005 and 2008 (though it was generally movie + commentary + galleries + trailers), and Cinema Classics Collection from 2006 to 2009 (the classics well more or less dried up after that :( ).

But with Disney? Psh. The only consistency they have is in being inconsistent.

albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
BK
Gold Classic Collection

Post by BK »

This is the best thread for it without starting a new one at the moment but Disney really need to buck up with their Blu-Ray/home video releases.

In the past year they've only released 10 catalogue titles compared to at least double from other studios. These were the titles that graced us:

Fantasia, Fantasia 2000, Beauty and the Beast, Armageddon, Tombstone, James and the Giant Peach, Toy Story, Toy Story 2, Gangs of New York & 10 Things I Hate About You.

Of those, according to the site Cinema Squid, these were their ratings for video, audio and extras:

Armageddon: 83/89/17
Tombstone: 73/84/34
James and the Giant Peach: 69/86/40
10 Things I Hate About You: 70/71/45
Gangs of New York: 89/86/71 (52/80/68-Previous)
Toy Story: 99/97/86
Toy Story 2: 99/99/81
Beauty and the Beast: 99/98/92
Fantasia : 80/80/56 (Germany)

Now, off-hand, I already can tell you that every single one of these releases were sub-par in the extras department. Yes, BATB and to a lesser extent TS/TS2 had strong extras but for no reason whatsoever dropped previous material, of course this is Disney practice, but when comparing to other studios and to their own output this year, not including previous material is a big blow already to their terrible releases.

Look at JATGP and Tombstone, dropped extras, shoddy video, same with 10 Things and though Gangs is impressive it's a re-release because Disney screwed up the first.

Let's not even touch Fantasia/Fantasia 2000, from Diamond's and promising 4+ shorts and new everything, they dropped basically everything there was to drop.

So, what the hell is up with that? Is there no such thing as quality control?

Looking back at Disney's past output and offerings is futile for me seeing I am not versed in catalogue movies but when you compare them to WB, Sony, Fox, Universal and Paramount they are terrible. The other studios have released top-notch transfers and sets of older movies like Aliens, Back to the Future, Sound of Music, Bridge on the River Kwai etc. yet Disney fail to have any pre-1990 movies save Pinocchio, Sleeping Beauty and Snow White, 1 which is out of print and 2 which are going out of print. Fantastic.

Yes, I guess, you could say Disney is just purely focused on animation, but though I personally have no want/knowledge of their live-action releases, I know people here do like and cherish them but Disney don't seem to give two sh!ts about it.

People say they give top quality transfers and bonus features but when we really look into it, we all know that those are only for their Diamonds, of which, now only number 12? 11? Even then, there is no consistency as we all know with only Beauty and the Beast and Snow White really being orgasmed on at Burbank. Little Mermaid had a shoddy video transfer last, they had terrible features for Peter Pan etc. So, what? Disney are basically relying on 2 features yet EVEN THEN, they fail to reproduce all of the previous features from LD/DVD that would make a comprehensive set that other studios have given. So, what the hell is this, I really have to ask.

Mary Poppins is probably one of the only live-action Disney features I know, yet as we know, though it used to have some sort of exclusivity with other Gold Collection titles, it along with the rest of the collection was treated terribly, improperly, inconsistent framing etc. I mean, does Disney really not give a sh!t about the rest of their movies?

Compared to recent-day, with all their crappy When in Rome, Race to Witch Mountain and Old Dogs crap out, I guess if their older releases were like that, they don't need to care to release any. They evidently have no Oscar winners or classics or proper movies like the other studios save their animation, yes, I know there are some that are regarded highly only released through Disney Movie Rewards at absurd prices, but that shouldn't be exclusive, and even then, they aren't treated very well. (The last line is all assumption, so if I'm wrong about the Oscar winners, prices, I admit it.)

So what the hell is Disney really? They don't show any respect for their catalogue and don't give a sh!t about releases at all. So much for one of the proper studios because aside from movies they've released recently, read since 2006/7, and animation, their transfers are shoddy, their special features sub-par, and their available library incredibly shallow in depth.

So, buck up? ****ing yes. I still see no reason why movies like Hercules hasn't been reissued and movies like Black Cauldron go straight to DVD in an age like this when animation is supposed to be their only go-to.

They already don't release anything and then they go ahead and put multiple movies, including Lilo & Stitch their modern money-maker, onto solely DVD? Someone, or everyone has questioned their devotion or commitment to Blu-Ray with tactics such as this, I mean their movies aren't obscure like Criterion and practically every other studio releases all updates on Blu-Ray anyway, and of course, even if they don't, they are releasing something unlike Disney. Why even bother putting out TBC? Then again they botched up Dumbo and Fantasia.

Really, I'll end, because I'm just ranting now, WHY ON EARTH ARE THEY NOT REISSUING HERCULES/HUNCHBACK/RESCUERS? Such a nonsensical studio when it comes to DVD/BR/home video. Exclusive Diamond my ass, more like only Diamonds complete with incomplete special features and ugly covers.
The_Iceflash
Anniversary Edition

Post by The_Iceflash »

Fantasia : 80/80/56 (Germany)
The extras don't concern me here as much as the video and audio getting an 80. Why did they rate that so low?